FWJ

il Duce McTarkin
1 minute ago, Taffin said:

And yes, I will be donating my council tax rebate for that very reason...if it ever arrives.

I spunked mine on Aldi lager.

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Unknown user

• IronJambo

• 1874robbo

• Ked

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, Dirk McClaymore said:

I was only linking it to outgoings as an illustration of how 60k isn't an outrageous salary.

You could drive around Edinburgh for 2 or 3 hours and not pass a house that someone on 60k could afford.

In terms of the value that a set of employees bring to their employer, well, we're about to see just how much value they bring.

Think that says more about house prices. Ironically largely so high due to the generation now getting the biggest govt hand outs...but that's another story.

I do agree, you can make 60k disappear very easily. You could also do that with 200k. I'm not suggesting 60k leaves people bathing in gold, but it's a fair chunk more than I earn and I'm doing okay...someone on 60k and struggling has chosen that path imo, which is entirely their prerogative of course, no judgement intended.

9 minutes ago, Dirk McClaymore said:

I spunked mine on Aldi lager.

Not a bad decision. I'd prefer to do that in all honesty, but then I'd have to quit preaching...and you can't put a price on that 😂😂

dobmisterdobster

This isn't directed at anyone in particular on here.

If you can't afford the rent/mortgage in your area then move somewhere else.

il Duce McTarkin
12 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

Off topic, but it's not that simple.

A family or individual may have a necessary support network in a given area, so it's not always in the best interests to up sticks and move.

Often it can be the absolute worst thing to do.

dobmisterdobster
4 minutes ago, Dirk McClaymore said:

Off topic, but it's not that simple.

A family or individual may have a necessary support network in a given area, so it's not always in the best interests to up sticks and move.

Often it can be the absolute worst thing to do.

I think you can get higher priority on housing lists if you have family ties to the area.

Train companies in London and the South East should obviously pay wages that reflect the higher cost of living in the area.

Doctor FinnBarr
3 hours ago, 1874robbo said:

Never done a good job then.

Couldn’t get toilet roll for ages!!!!!

Same for us, plenty bog rolls in the warehouse but couldn't get them out quick enough, company had to do us Red Cross parcels with bog roll, pasta etc.

Doctor FinnBarr
4 hours ago, IronJambo said:

Congratulations on getting a rise AND a bonus. Have you had any other pay rises since 2019?

Don't moan at me because you're now looking back and think you should've got together with your colleagues and asked for more. My colleagues and I are asking for what we think we're worth, maybe you should do the same next time as well.

We did ask for more but because its a national vote our English collegues shit on us yet again

Big problem we have now is the amount of Polish and Romanian workers who think any sort of wage rise is a bonus

Edited by FinnBarr Saunders

1 hour ago, dobmisterdobster said:

Not sure I agree. The jobs and economic opportunities on offer in areas should be sufficient for you to also be able to live there.

Imo, it's one of the real downsides of the UK and I've long though it unsustainable as it leads to long commutes and occupied areas with very little local facilities.

Edited by Taffin

i wish jj was my dad
4 hours ago, Dirk McClaymore said:

Fair enough, but that's not my point. 60 grand isn't a huge wage. That's my point.

I get the feeling that some folk think that others shouldn't get a pay rise because other folk are struggling.

Everyone should be striving for better, imo.

The fact that some industries are heavily unionised and this can be used to protect employees terms and conditions shouldn't be grudged.

If I was offered an 8% pay rise today, I'd still be worse off in real terms than when I signed my contract.

Like I said, I wish I had a union.

I am not arguing that folk shouldn't get a pay rise because others are struggling. I think I deserve one but I know that there are others in dire straits that need it more than I do and it would be crass of me to go on strike in those circumstances. I can choose to tighten my belt if I want to. Some folk can't. 

That said, I am not having a go at folk going on strike. Just don't expect public support or sympathy when the arse is falling out of the economy. 

il Duce McTarkin
3 minutes ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

I am not arguing that folk shouldn't get a pay rise because others are struggling. I think I deserve one but I know that there are others in dire straits that need it more than I do and it would be crass of me to go on strike in those circumstances. I can choose to tighten my belt if I want to. Some folk can't. 

That said, I am not having a go at folk going on strike. Just don't expect public support or sympathy when the arse is falling out of the economy. 

There's never a good time for industrial action, really. 🤷‍♂️

1 hour ago, i wish jj was my dad said:

The arse had been falling out of the economy when we spent billions on furlough and ppe equipment that was useless not to mention the cost of test and trace!!!!

billions wasted all over the place.

il Duce McTarkin
56 minutes ago, 1874robbo said:

The arse had been falling out of the economy when we spent billions on furlough and ppe equipment that was useless not to mention the cost of test and trace!!!!

billions wasted all over the place.

The Ivan's adventures in Ukraine notwithstanding, these are real villans of the piece. Along with Brexit, of course.

Ministers should go to jail over this.

i wish jj was my dad
43 minutes ago, Dirk McClaymore said:

The Ivan's adventures in Ukraine notwithstanding, these are real villans of the piece. Along with Brexit, of course.

Ministers should go to jail over this.

Yip. If they spent less time and money feathering the nests of their chums everyone would have a decent standard of living

No much to add to this thread other than to say it’s quite sad to see the amount of folk slating these drivers. “Aye but nurses get this, teachers get that”. Maybe we should asking why public sector workers get such a shite wage, instead of having a pop at train drivers? Everyone glibly accepting billions of pounds lost in Tory corruption, money being readily available for fighting wars, buying arms, lining pockets of pals of Westminster, yet happy to have a pop at a group of folk that don’t fancy a real terms pay cut? Makes nae sense 🤔

Theres plenty money oot there guys, despite what our oh so glorious leaders tell us. It’s just that they want to cream it all up, whilst we are left bickering over the relative scraps. Devide and conquer? The fat cats at the top of the trees would love to sit back and read a thread like this, as they’re counting their coin. 

Talk of “families struggling whilst drivers want a pay rise”, and? So? It should never EVER be a race to the bottom, yet arguments like this simply advocate exactly that. Spread the money more evenly and EVERYONE can have a decent wage, with no real terms wage cuts dressed up as rises. 

I notice the £37 Billion Track and Trace thread has dropped off the first page. Funny how quickly we forget eh? We’ve replaced focus on these Westminster crooks with greetin about workin class train drivers. We really Dinnae help ourselves sometimes eh? 🙄

9 minutes ago, Mr Sifter said:

No much to add to this thread other than to say it’s quite sad to see the amount of folk slating these drivers. “Aye but nurses get this, teachers get that”. Maybe we should asking why public sector workers get such a shite wage, instead of having a pop at train drivers? Everyone glibly accepting billions of pounds lost in Tory corruption, money being readily available for fighting wars, buying arms, lining pockets of pals of Westminster, yet happy to have a pop at a group of folk that don’t fancy a real terms pay cut? Makes nae sense 🤔

Theres plenty money oot there guys, despite what our oh so glorious leaders tell us. It’s just that they want to cream it all up, whilst we are left bickering over the relative scraps. Devide and conquer? The fat cats at the top of the trees would love to sit back and read a thread like this, as they’re counting their coin. 

Talk of “families struggling whilst drivers want a pay rise”, and? So? It should never EVER be a race to the bottom, yet arguments like this simply advocate exactly that. Spread the money more evenly and EVERYONE can have a decent wage, with no real terms wage cuts dressed up as rises. 

I notice the £37 Billion Track and Trace thread has dropped off the first page. Funny how quickly we forget eh? We’ve replaced focus on these Westminster crooks with greetin about workin class train drivers. We really Dinnae help ourselves sometimes eh? 🙄

Brilliant post 👏👏👏👏

frankblack
37 minutes ago, Mr Sifter said:

Pay rises in the private sector get paid based on the profits made of the business then on a performance based scale.

Since Scotrail is a business selling services unlike other public sector organisations paid from tax, did it make profits or not to justify pay rises from?

7 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Pay rises in the private sector get paid based on the profits made of the business then on a performance based scale.

Since Scotrail is a business selling services unlike other public sector organisations paid from tax, did it make profits or not to justify pay rises from?

Is there a direct correlation between profit and pay rises in the public sector? Honestly don’t know. What targets do the MPs/MSPs have to meet in order to get their yearly pay rise? Genuine question. 

The Hogfather
1 hour ago, Mr Sifter said:

I work in the public sector and our unions are currently trying to negotiate a pay rise that won't feel like a pay cut and the last thing I'm feeling is anger towards train drivers for wanting more. My local MSP claimed £260,000 in expenses last year. These are the real parasites.

frankblack
2 hours ago, Mr Sifter said:

Is there a direct correlation between profit and pay rises in the public sector? Honestly don’t know. What targets do the MPs/MSPs have to meet in order to get their yearly pay rise? Genuine question. 

Scotrail sells a service to the public so should be self-sufficient.  If they aren't then they probably aren't in a position to support pay rises.

Rocco_Jambo
On 26/05/2022 at 08:21, Smithee said:

Is that what you would have thought is it? Cool.

I suppose I'll take the inherent support of my unionised comrades for their fellow working man struck down as implied.

Yes, that’s what I thought and would think until I heard a reason to the contrary.

8 hours ago, frankblack said:

Scotrail sells a service to the public so should be self-sufficient.  If they aren't then they probably aren't in a position to support pay rises.

There’s a lot of things that *should* be the case Frank. That’s the point I’m making. Nurses *should* have a better wage, teachers *should* get the remuneration they deserve, politicians *should* spend more on public services than they do on lining their own pockets. The working class *should* be focussing on the absolute schiesters at the top of the trees instead of attacking each other. 

Have the railways ever been self sufficient? Like ever? I’m sure I read that the top boy at ScotRail, Alex Hynes, is on circa £300k. If they can justify paying him that in an industry that is subsidised, then why should drivers take a real terms wage cut? 

As I say, I just think as a group of working class guys n girls, we should be demanding more for ALL of us. And maybe if we all had union representation we’d have a bigger voice? There’s a reason that bitch Thatcher tried to crush the unions, and the reason is shown on this thread. It’s a shame that some on here have swallowed the tripe she fed us all those years ago. 

Anyway, I’m a very rare poster these days, so forgive me if I don’t get back to you if you reply Frank. In the meantime, have a good weekend mate 👍🏼

3 hours ago, Mr Sifter said:

Anyway, I’m a very rare poster these days, so forgive me if I don’t get back to you if you reply Frank. In the meantime, have a good weekend mate 👍🏼

And kickback's worse for it imo

frankblack
4 hours ago, Mr Sifter said:

There’s a lot of things that *should* be the case Frank. That’s the point I’m making. Nurses *should* have a better wage, teachers *should* get the remuneration they deserve, politicians *should* spend more on public services than they do on lining their own pockets. The working class *should* be focussing on the absolute schiesters at the top of the trees instead of attacking each other. 

These all differ from the rail services as they are public services paid for by taxation and railways are paid for by the customers.

Have the railways ever been self sufficient? Like ever? I’m sure I read that the top boy at ScotRail, Alex Hynes, is on circa £300k. If they can justify paying him that in an industry that is subsidised, then why should drivers take a real terms wage cut? 

I really couldn't answer your question on self sufficiency as I wouldn't know how to find that information.

All I am saying is as a private sector employee I get sod all if the company has a bad year.

The fact they got nationalised suggests they did poorly.

As I say, I just think as a group of working class guys n girls, we should be demanding more for ALL of us. And maybe if we all had union representation we’d have a bigger voice? There’s a reason that bitch Thatcher tried to crush the unions, and the reason is shown on this thread. It’s a shame that some on here have swallowed the tripe she fed us all those years ago. 

Never been in one as all my working life has been in the private sector where they rarely exist.

Anyway, l’m a very rare poster these days, so forgive me if I don’t get back to you if you reply Frank. In the meantime, have a good weekend mate 👍🏼

No worries.  No harm in a constructive debate. 

On 19/05/2022 at 18:23, Smithee said:

As I've said a few times, they're not going to get much public sympathy striking because 54k isn't enough, I think they've lost all perspective.

Are they asking for public sympathy?

They want a pay rise not an 8pm clap every Thursday on the doorstep. 

I doubt they really care about whether the public is sympathetic to their cause or not. 

Unknown user
3 hours ago, TheOak88 said:

Are they asking for public sympathy?

They want a pay rise not an 8pm clap every Thursday on the doorstep. 

I doubt they really care about whether the public is sympathetic to their cause or not. 

If so, then more fool them. Strikes don't work long without the public on side, especially where we are now.

The EU aren't there to hold the Tories back any more, if they think for a minute they can whip up anti union sentiment with their right wing rags they'll have a free reign and an excuse to clip union wings.

frankblack
25 minutes ago, Smithee said:

If so, then more fool them. Strikes don't work long without the public on side, especially where we are now.

The EU aren't there to hold the Tories back any more, if they think for a minute they can whip up anti union sentiment with their right wing rags they'll have a free reign and an excuse to clip union wings.

You are probably right on this one.

i wish jj was my dad
51 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Bang on. Those b'stards and their paymasters are itching to put us in our place. On this occasion I fear the unions have given them an opportunity. 

• 2 weeks later...
Dennis Reynolds

Good news.

I'm still amazed that a company can't function if staff don't work overtime and rest days and that's somehow 'just the way it is'.

John Findlay

I would advise caution. Aslef national executive have still to endorse this agreement, this national executive kyboshed the previous deal.

Say agreement is reached with Aslef and the drivers, then the RMT are waiting in the wings to cause industrial unrest.

WorldChampions1902
On 28/05/2022 at 06:58, Mr Sifter said:

Outstanding post and bang on the money.

I have been a Union Rep for many years in a multi-national IT company that has made colossal profits from U.K. Public Sector contracts totalling billions over the last 20 years. Our members have been pivotal in generating those profits. Over the last 14 years, we have only received a pay rise that matched (not exceeded) inflation once. Just ONCE. The other 13 years we received a below inflation increase. And yet U.K. taxpayers were literally shovelling money into those highly lucrative contracts and the employees had to endure year on year real-terms pay cuts.

Throughout all of that period, trying to get non-members to join the union to strengthen our hand has been an uphill battle. Mostly because of the utter anti-union garbage in our Right Wing media which conditions the hard of thinking, coupled with the Thatcher factor.

If people want to see their standards of living recover, they will have to stop swallowing the utter ani union garbage, take out a union membership and start voting for strike action. If they choose not to, living standards will continue on their downward spiral.

Malinga the Swinga
2 hours ago, John Findlay said:

I would advise caution. Aslef national executive have still to endorse this agreement, this national executive kyboshed the previous deal.

Say agreement is reached with Aslef and the drivers, then the RMT are waiting in the wings to cause industrial unrest.

If the workers accept the deal, then their leadership can't really object to deal against wishes of members.

Will the RMT push for more than this agreement? Probably but it's going to be hard to keep public onside if they do.

Malinga the Swinga
1 hour ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

Outstanding post and bang on the money.

I have been a Union Rep for many years in a multi-national IT company that has made colossal profits from U.K. Public Sector contracts totalling billions over the last 20 years. Our members have been pivotal in generating those profits. Over the last 14 years, we have only received a pay rise that matched (not exceeded) inflation once. Just ONCE. The other 13 years we received a below inflation increase. And yet U.K. taxpayers were literally shovelling money into those highly lucrative contracts and the employees had to endure year on year real-terms pay cuts.

Throughout all of that period, trying to get non-members to join the union to strengthen our hand has been an uphill battle. Mostly because of the utter anti-union garbage in our Right Wing media which conditions the hard of thinking, coupled with the Thatcher factor.

If people want to see their standards of living recover, they will have to stop swallowing the utter ani union garbage, take out a union membership and start voting for strike action. If they choose not to, living standards will continue on their downward spiral.

Well you're not doing a very good job then. Waste of time joining your union if you can't negotiate a decent pay rise.

Not anti union but your not exactly selling membership.

John Findlay
2 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

If the workers accept the deal, then their leadership can't really object to deal against wishes of members.

Will the RMT push for more than this agreement? Probably but it's going to be hard to keep public onside if they do.

They will look for the same. The RMT are a more belligerent union than ASLEF.

Malinga the Swinga
2 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

They are indeed. Even during lockdown they were calling disputes all over the shop. The RMT leadership want conflict far more than agreement.

WorldChampions1902
28 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Well you're not doing a very good job then. Waste of time joining your union if you can't negotiate a decent pay rise.

Not anti union but your not exactly selling membership.

You know absolutely nothing about how effective or otherwise myself or fellow union Reps perform. A union is only as strong as its membership. When fellow employees refuse to join a union because of their political beliefs/stubbornness/brainwashing/stupidity, it is very difficult to recruit.

Recently, the company decided to cease the final salary pension and union members were outraged and poised to take industrial action. The non-member ‘sheep’ collectively shrugged their shoulders citing that every other employer was doing this and resigned themselves to the inevitable (in their heads). Thanks to the threat of industrial action by 90%+ of union members in a ballot, union reps managed to quadruple the company’s Employer Contribution to the replacement pension scheme to 20%.

What was that you were saying about “a waste of time joining your union?”

Edited by WorldChampions1902

20 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Bugs me that in the 19 years in the railway i have not had a vote in my yearly pay rise.

William H. Bonney
19 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

They are indeed. Even during lockdown they were calling disputes all over the shop. The RMT leadership want conflict far more than agreement.

One of the reasons why I moved to TSSA.

Malinga the Swinga
11 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

You know absolutely nothing about how effective or otherwise myself or fellow union Reps perform. A union is only as strong as its membership. When fellow employees refuse to join a union because of their political beliefs/stubbornness/brainwashing/stupidity, it is very difficult to recruit.

Recently, the company decided to cease the final salary pension and union members were outraged and poised to take industrial action. The non-member ‘sheep’ collectively shrugged their shoulders citing that every other employer was doing this and resigned themselves to the inevitable (in their heads). Thanks to the threat of industrial action by 90%+ of union members in a ballot, union reps managed to quadruple the company’s Employer Contribution to the replacement pension scheme to 20%.

Bully for you.

Malinga the Swinga

Been reading up on why dispute happening now with RMT. It's nothing to do with workers, it's because of the new Great British Railways (GBR) that's being formed.

The Union wanting to get in before management of new organisation get in place and start to re-structure.

Striking before pay offer even made seems a bit iffy.

The Real Maroonblood
19 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

Good post. 

I'm sure there are a few companies who have shafted their employees by cancelling the final salary  scheme. 

1 hour ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Been reading up on why dispute happening now with RMT. It's nothing to do with workers, it's because of the new Great British Railways (GBR) that's being formed.

The Union wanting to get in before management of new organisation get in place and start to re-structure.

Striking before pay offer even made seems a bit iffy.

What you talking about? They've been asking for a pay offer and continually told no 🤦 Were they meant to just keep walking away for another 3 years?

1 hour ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

Non member sheep.

About sums it up.

Union leadership or local branch leaders should maybe realise that communism never once served working class people.

And if you compare the rights freedoms and living standards of those in free market economies with that of the communist regimes you might just wake the fek up.

Non member sheep shows the disdain you hold the workforce at if they don't follow your dogma.

I've joined unions before and I've been active in my younger days .

Absolutely politicised and a disgrace some of the muppets I came across.

Ranging from sectarian to away with the goalie unrealistic.

Non member sheep sums it up

Let's ask ourselves if we would have the same standard of living if Thatcher hadn't took on the Soviet backed unions.

Because it was a fekin shitshow in the 70s .

1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Good post. 

I'm sure there are a few companies who have shafted their employees by cancelling the final salary  scheme. 

Which ones?