FWJ

It’s astonishing.  The last (Scotrail) train south from Fort William is at 11:40 in the morning.

Peak tourist season.  Last train north leaves Glasgow at 12:20.

On the main Wav <-> Queen Street there are 2 trains in the evening. One at 8:15 and one at 10:15

I don’t know if the fault can be laid at the door of the SG as they have only just taken over but what an absolute omnishambles.

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Unknown user

• IronJambo

• 1874robbo

• Ked

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Japan Jambo
4 minutes ago, FWJ said:

It’s astonishing.  The last (Scotrail) train south from Fort William is at 11:40 in the morning.

On the main Wav <-> Queen Street there are 2 trains in the evening. One at 8:15 and one at 10:15

I don’t know if the fault can be laid at the door of the SG as they have only just taken over but what an absolute omnishambles.

Were things awful before it was nationalised?

Apparently there were lots of cancellations.  I’m a very regular rail user but wasn’t affected by any.  The culling of most evening services will definitely affect me.  Fortunately for me I’m a ‘leisure’ user.  What this will mean for people relying on trains to get to / from work goodness knows. Similarly tourists and accommodation providers.

I didn’t start this thread to slag off the SG, my suspicion is things have been circling the drain for a while.

Japan Jambo
5 minutes ago, FWJ said:

Apparently there were lots of cancellations.  I’m a very regular rail user but wasn’t affected by any.  The culling of most evening services will definitely affect me.  Fortunately for me I’m a ‘leisure’ user.  What this will mean for people relying on trains to get to / from work goodness knows. Similarly tourists and accommodation providers.

I didn’t start this thread to slag off the SG, my suspicion is things have been circling the drain for a while.

yeah I'm just hoping it wasn't done out of political dogma - while I have sympathy for public ownership of the railways I'm long enough in the tooth that I can remember British Rail. 

1 hour ago, FWJ said:

Looks like they're short of drivers. Must be on the Tom dick. 

Your op makes it look like the trains you mention are the only ones timetabled which isn't the case.

8 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

Your op makes it look like the trains you mention are the only ones timetabled which isn't the case.

Loads on strike I believe

9 minutes ago, XB52 said:

Amazing! 'mon the Scotrail workers!

13 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

Trains on the E&G are half-hourly until 8:15 and then there is one at 10:15.

There is one via Bathgate at 20:53.

From the BBC site -

EC36CD3A-10B8-4ACF-B268-CAC77B9F0A4B.png

12 minutes ago, XB52 said:

Just not working any overtime. Need drivers to work overtime to cover all the trains due to not having enough staff 

Got offered 2.2% but they want more so are basically doing a work to rule till it gets sorted.

Dont think government are for moving so this will rumble on 

11 minutes ago, FWJ said:

Trains on the E&G are half-hourly until 8:15 and then there is one at 10:15.

There is one via Bathgate at 20:53.

From the BBC site -

You're not speaking about a planned timetable. 

6 minutes ago, theshed said:

Just not working any overtime. Need drivers to work overtime to cover all the trains due to not having enough staff 

Got offered 2.2% but they want more so are basically doing a work to rule till it gets sorted.

RMT are pushing for a nationwide strike. We were balloted down here recently. The signallers are majorly pissed off in my area also and I'll be surprised if we don't get a vote to strike.

Edit: as an aside, 2.2% is an insult.

Edited by IronJambo

10 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

You're not speaking about a planned timetable. 

I don’t know what is meant by a ‘planned timetable’ I’m just going by what is on their site and app.

It is ‘temporary’ but indefinite.

I’m not taking sides or blaming everyone but it is a really really poor state of affairs that this might last for weeks or even months.

Edited by FWJ

16 minutes ago, FWJ said:

I don’t know what is meant by a ‘planned timetable’ I’m just going by what is on their site and app.

It is ‘temporary’ but indefinite.

I’m not taking sides or blaming everyone but it is a really really poor state of affairs that this might last for weeks or even months.

It took me about 30 seconds on the national rail app to find trains that are supposed to go South from Fort William beyond 11:40.

The actual timetable is published and shouldn't be hard to find.

Edited by IronJambo

I can’t explain that because on the ScotRail app there are 2 ScotRail trains and the last south is 11:40

What time are the trains you’re finding?

Lone Striker
1 hour ago, theshed said:

Yes, that's the situation the RMT are complaining about - too much reliance on overtime to cover staff shortages.  Seems the only feasible alternative is to reduce the number of trains running until that situation is resolved.

Malinga the Swinga
1 hour ago, IronJambo said:

RMT are pushing for a nationwide strike. We were balloted down here recently. The signallers are majorly pissed off in my area also and I'll be surprised if we don't get a vote to strike.

So is sticking 2 fingers up to your customers and yet you/they don't have a problem with that.

Compared to private sector, offer is reasonable and fair. 

2 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

So is sticking 2 fingers up to your customers and yet you/they don't have a problem with that.

2.2% is reasonable and fair when inflation is 9% 😂

Malinga the Swinga
Just now, SE16 3LN said:

2.2% is reasonable and fair when inflation is 9% 😂

Yeah, let's put up pay by 9% as well. Oh hold on, it's public sector so we will need to pay more tax to cover it. 

That will see us in vicious circle, which as those of us who are older, will remember with grim memories. 

It's a comparable rise to private sector so o yes, it's reasonable and fair.

It took me about 30 seconds on the national rail app to find trains that are supposed to go South from Fort William beyond 11:40.

https://www.scotrail.co.uk/sites/default/files/assets/download_ct/20220518/aiW8k8b44ze1Eoow3nchDraDJc308dieeFWjo0po_DE/west_highlands_-_temporary_timetable_mondays_to_fridays_from_23_may_2022_.pdf

This is the actual timetable from the ScotRail website.

John Findlay

Is it? 

I work for Scotrail. We are now like NHS staff and other workers public sector workers, as we are now in the hands of the Scottish Government.

Why should we as railworkers, be entitled to more than the other public sector workers?

I am on less money than Conductors(Guards), and Drivers, but I don't consider myself poorly paid, but then again I didn't join the railway until I was 42 and a half years old, and have worked in other jobs.

frankblack

Completely inept Scottish Government and yet people want to give these clowns more control?

I guess if you want to go through to Glasgow for an evening match or concert you are in trouble if you want to get home.

I'm now concerned that I'll be ****ed for getting to and from the final as I've got no bus booked.

1 minute ago, frankblack said:

Completely inept Scottish Government and yet people want to give these clowns more control?

I guess if you want to go through to Glasgow for an evening match or concert you are in trouble if you want to get home.

I'm now concerned that I'll be ****ed for getting to and from the final as I've got no bus booked.

Is it though?  I didn’t want this to go MacGodwin - I suspect trouble has been brewing for a while.

6 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Is it? 

I work for Scotrail. We are now like NHS staff and other workers public sector workers, as we are now in the hands of the Scottish Government.

Why should we as railworkers, be entitled to more than the other public sector workers?

I am on less money than Conductors(Guards), and Drivers, but I don't consider myself poorly paid, but then again I didn't join the railway until I was 42 and a half years old, and have worked in other jobs.

We haven't had a pay rise since June 2019 so a 2.2% offer would certainly be an insult. Don't forget they're chipping away at t's and c's also. Your pension is about to get screwed also. I worked in retail for 13 years so I know what a"real job" is. That doesn't excuse the above.

Our passenger numbers are rising rapidly and things aren't a massive deal different to what they were pre pandemic. No amount of emails telling us how valued we are because we worked in the front line all the way through the pandemic hold any salt when they won't back it up with actions.

John Findlay
Just now, IronJambo said:

We haven't had a pay rise since June 2019 so a 2.2% offer would certainly be an insult. Don't forget they're chipping away at t's and c's also. Your pension is about to get screwed also. I worked in retail for 13 years so I know what a"real job" is. That doesn't excuse the above.

Our passenger numbers are rising rapidly and things aren't a massive deal different to what they were pre pandemic. No amount of emails telling us how valued we are because we worked in the front line all the way through the pandemic hold any salt when they won't back it up with actions.

We will just have to agree to disagree.

henryheart

I used the train to go to work for over 25 years. Travelling by train all those years ago was awful. Trains were unreliable and uncomfortable and some staff were astonishingly rude. You could stand for ages on a platform with absolutely no idea if a train was coming or not. Under Abellio the service became much better, in other words ok. There were new trains, much improved communication and the staff with a reputation for rudeness were out of the door. Most problems were caused by bad weather but I could go for months with all my trains running on time.  I was never convinced by the merits of re- nationalisation, and the one thing for sure is that if what is happening now had occurred under Abellio's watch then the Scottish Government would be having a field day.   

42 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

2.2% since 2019 is far from fair. 

Standing up for ourselves has nothing to do with customers. It should maybe be remembered that we took people to work that couldn't work from home and weren't furloughed throughout the pandemic. We didn't hide behind our sofas.  It's now our time to speak up.

3 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

2.2% since 2019 is far from fair. 

Standing up for ourselves has nothing to do with customers. It should maybe be remembered that we took people to work that couldn't work from home and weren't furloughed throughout the pandemic. We didn't hide behind our sofas.  It's now our time to speak up.

That isn’t great for yourself but scotrail drivers I think have had 3 pay rises since 2019 so different from yourself. 

2.2 isn’t great but on a 50k a year job it isn’t too bad and as been said above now that scotrail back in public ownership they have to take the public pay rise 

Unions wanted it back in public ownership but then don’t want public pay 🤷‍♀️

Spitonastranger
3 hours ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Scotrail are useless 

Go on tell us a tale of you standing in a queue and what occured 

12 minutes ago, theshed said:

That isn’t great for yourself but scotrail drivers I think have had 3 pay rises since 2019 so different from yourself. 

2.2 isn’t great but on a 50k a year job it isn’t too bad and as been said above now that scotrail back in public ownership they have to take the public pay rise 

Unions wanted it back in public ownership but then don’t want public pay 🤷‍♀️

Not everyone's a driver on £50k+ remember. I'm certainly not. 

I’m still looking.

Do you have a link?

3 minutes ago, FWJ said:

I’m still looking.

Do you have a link?

I don't bud. I live in Berkshire so I've got no inclination to be on the Scotrail site 

5 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

I don't bud. I live in Berkshire so I've got no inclination to be on the Scotrail site 

Pity

A link to these trains that you found would be handy.

Guess I’ll keep looking.

11 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

Yes I know and did say your pay deal was terrible and I wouldn’t be happy getting 2.2% in last 3 years.  The dispute with scotrail is drivers only at the moment so will see what happens 

Jambo 4 Ever
17 minutes ago, Spitonastranger said:

Go on tell us a tale of you standing in a queue and what occured 

How could any normal person defend or actually like scotrail 

Spitonastranger
4 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

How could any normal person defend or actually like scotrail 

Can you not answer the question 

Jambo 4 Ever
28 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

What do you do?

1 minute ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

What do you do?

I'm a train manager/guard. If anyone wants to speculate my wage to decide if I deserve a pay rise or not they need to bear in mind the average cost of a house here is in excess of £500k. 

Jambo 4 Ever
1 minute ago, IronJambo said:

I'm a train manager/guard. If anyone wants to speculate my wage to decide if I deserve a pay rise or not they need to bear in mind the average cost of a house here is in excess of £500k. 

Where do you like like?

At least I now know that I'll have to get the bus back to fife at the end of a night out rather than buying a return train ticket that I can't use because Scotrail staff can't be arsed turning up to staff the last train.

5 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

The internet really isn't that hard. You look for Timetables on the Scotrail site.

https://www.scotrail.co.uk/plan-your-journey/timetables#

There's 17:37 and a 19:50.

Harder than at first glance.

If you click the box with the red alarm sign advising of a temporary timetable you’ll find the link I quoted upthread.

The 19:50 isn’t ScotRail, it’s the London Sleeper.

Harry Potter

TFL have awarded their staff 8.4%. That still isn't really a pay rise.

Thats a lot more than most folk are getting.

What would you consider a fair rise ?.

Unknown user

I was listening to the drivers' rep on the radio, blaming the Scottish government, they need to offer more than 2.2% and performance based bonuses. He said poor management meant drivers had to work overtime to meet the timetable and that as they weren't getting the payrise they want, they're refusing overtime.

This is why the timetable's had to be reduced, it takes 18 months to train new drivers so there's no prospect of a short term solution.

As I said this guy was on about poor management and planning over years and how they shouldn't suffer but the Scottish government only nationalised it 7 weeks ago.

They're planning industrial action this summer, but given that the pay they're on now is already 54k I don't know how much public support they'll get 

Edited by Smithee

I don’t know but it seems a bit out of order to run your business relying on goodwill and the willingness of people to work rest-days and take overtime.  Are there many big businesses like this?  (Not Devil’s advocate, genuine question)

Unknown user

Every month, a train driver's top line is more than a year's universal credit.

They really aren't on my priority list at all.

Unknown user
Just now, FWJ said:

I don’t know but it seems a bit out of order to run your business relying on goodwill and the willingness of people to work rest-days and take overtime.  Are there many big businesses like this?  (Not Devil’s advocate, genuine question)

The NHS spring to mind

8 minutes ago, FWJ said:

Imagine giving staff time off 🤬 ,it also costs less to cover shifts with overtime than employ more staff, piss the staff off though and you find yourself with the current situation. Most drivers were paid a very good wage to work vastly reduced hours throughout the pandemic as well but now they are raging 🤣.

25 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Thats a lot more than most folk are getting.

What would you consider a fair rise ?.

I'd say that's in the ballpark given zero increase in 3 years. 

What other people are getting is none of my concern. My wife for example, who works for a council has had a rise every year.