Europa league/conference 22/23 - Zurich v Hearts

mickycameron98

AC Mallin_51
2 hours ago, Thought Police said:

Some of the confirmed teams in the Europa League group stage are magic and would be a class away trip.

Man United

Arsenal

Lazio

Roma

Betis

Sociedad

Nantes

Union Berlin

I think Man U still need to qualify only Arsenal straight in. The way their playing aswell I wouldn’t bank against them dropping into the conference 

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ricardo Quaresma

• Heartsmad1874

• JimmyCant

• hughesie27

2 hours ago, Thought Police said:

Some of the confirmed teams in the Europa League group stage are magic and would be a class away trip.

Man United

Arsenal

Lazio

Roma

Betis

Sociedad

Nantes

Union Berlin

Man Utd are in the conference aren't they?

19 minutes ago, briever said:

Man Utd are in the conference aren't they?

no, 5th and 6th into the europa league this season because Liverpool won both cups. 

LarrysRightFoot

Is there a definitive list now from around Europe of who is in what competition- I.e. our potential opponents?

Majority of leagues finish today or are already finished from what I can tell.

Jus' sayin'...

Europa League Final
Budapest Wed 31 May
Conference League Final
Prague Wed 7 June

19/05/2012
2 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

Is there a definitive list now from around Europe of who is in what competition- I.e. our potential opponents?

Think the only confirmed play off teams so far are Gent, Austria Vienna, Hearts and Dnipro with cup winners in Turkey, Denmark and Cyprus decided next weekend. Then it will be teams that drop out of the champions league and come through the earlier rounds of qualifying.

18 minutes ago, 19/05/2012 said:

Think the only confirmed play off teams so far are Gent, Austria Vienna, Hearts and Dnipro with cup winners in Turkey, Denmark and Cyprus decided next weekend. Then it will be teams that drop out of the champions league and come through the earlier rounds of qualifying.

It very likely we won’t know our actual opponents until the night of 11th August. 1 week before our first leg is due. it’s possible, but unlikely that we’ll know on 2nd August, depending what pot we are drawing from. We may find out on August 2nd that it is one of 2 teams. It’s complicated with numerous possible outcomes and scenarios and it’s miles too early to even narrow it down to a helpful group

Edited by JimmyCant

JamboNation

Does anyone have a idea of who will be seeded as the league's are being wrapped up ?

Edited by JamboNation
Reply already posted

FarmerTweedy
2 hours ago, JamboNation said:

Does anyone have a idea of who will be seeded as the league's are being wrapped up ?

Yes, nobody will be seeded!

4 hours ago, JamboNation said:

There are no seeds in the traditional sense. Teams in the Play-Off round are split into four priority groups - those who qualify directly for this round are in Priority One (Us, Gent, Austria Wien, Dnipro and cup winners from Cyprus, Turkey and Denmark).

Those teams will be drawn against teams from either Priority Three :

Could be any number of teams dropping out of CL Qualifiers but if seeds win every match P3 would consist of 5 from Maribor, HJK Helsinki, Slovan Bratislava, The New Saints, Dudelange, Zalgaris Vilnius, Lincoln Red Imps, Maccabia Haifa, FC Zurich or Shamrock Rovers. These teams have to go through an unseeded EL qualifier before facing us so would be good to see some of the bigger names drawing each other.

Or Priorty Four

Two from Partizan, Slovacko, Dynamo Kyiv, Fenerbache, Midtjylland or AEK Larnaca.

Don't really fancy facing any of of P4 teams (apart from maybe Slovacko) but quite a few of the P3s should be beatable. Ideally we'd like a few upsets in CL QR1 to throw the likes of Linfield, Tirana and Hibernians into the mix. We don't really want upsets in CL QR2 as we could then see the likes of  Bodo/Glimt, Malmo and Sheriff dropping down. Not glamour teams but ones that would likely beat us comfortably. The te

Edited by Jamboross

tartofmidlothian
13 hours ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

Of the 19 teams we can potentially be paired with in the Europa League qualifier, confirmed are Gent, Austria Vienna and Dnipro.

With a 50/50 chance of going into the pot are the winners of the Danish, Turkish and Cypriot cups, and two teams with a bye into the round before us, so that's the winners of Midtylland v OB Odense, Kayserispor v Sivasspor, Ethnikos Achna v Omonia Niciosa, and Partizan Belgrade and Slovacko.

There are another 11 or 13 teams we might face, depending on how the last pair do in the previous qualifying round, but at the moment they could be any one of dozens of teams from the CL qualifiers.

tartofmidlothian

Apologies if covered on the thread already, but can teams from the same country be drawn in the Europa qualifying playoff? There's one team from the UK we can potentially face from the many qualifiers, and that's Rangers.

16 minutes ago, tartofmidlothian said:

Apologies if covered on the thread already, but can teams from the same country be drawn in the Europa qualifying playoff? There's one team from the UK we can potentially face from the many qualifiers, and that's Rangers.

Rangers would drop direct into the EL group stage if they lose their CL qualifier. The only UK teams we could draw in the EL play off would be from Wales or N.Ireland

Edited by JimmyCant

Teams currently at UECL play off stage:

West Ham

Villarreal

Nice

Fiorentina

FC Koln

Some teams involved in the earlier rounds:

Panathinaikos 

PAOK

Basel

Young Boys

Anderlecht

FC Twente

No matter what happens whether it’s UEL or UECL there will quite be a few big teams.

33 minutes ago, tartofmidlothian said:

Of the 19 teams we can potentially be paired with in the Europa League qualifier, confirmed are Gent, Austria Vienna and Dnipro.

With a 50/50 chance of going into the pot are the winners of the Danish, Turkish and Cypriot cups, and two teams with a bye into the round before us, so that's the winners of Midtylland v OB Odense, Kayserispor v Sivasspor, Ethnikos Achna v Omonia Niciosa, and Partizan Belgrade and Slovacko.

There are another 11 or 13 teams we might face, depending on how the last pair do in the previous qualifying round, but at the moment they could be any one of dozens of teams from the CL qualifiers.

We can't face any of those teams listed bar Partizan and Slovacko or the two from the CL league Path. 

Gent etc are in the same priority listing as us

Edited by Diego10
I was inaccurate

tartofmidlothian

After the weekend's disappointment, getting excited about our European adventure is a great way to get over it. Depending on the draw we might have a shot at the Europa groups, which means some famous games against huge clubs, but there's no way we're getting out of them, even into the ECL. We'd be doing well to get past most of last year's 4th place sides in a head to head - Brondby, Sturm Graz, Ferencvaros, Lokomotiv Moscow and the rest.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021–22_UEFA_Europa_League#Group_stage

Then look at the 21/22 Conference League groups. Only a handful of clubs to fear and a bunch of top two qualifying teams I'd fancy our chances against - LASK, Bodo/Glimt, Vitesse, Randers, Qarabag...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021–22_UEFA_Europa_Conference_League#Group_stage

Whoever we play we'll get huge support, but which would we prefer - playing on the biggest stages or having a real shot at staying in Europe after Christmas?

I think winning the play off and getting 3rd in the group is achievable if we sign the right players.  That would see us do into the conference i believe. Lots depends on the draw so it's not really worth chatting about just now.  Tynecastle under the lights could be really intimidating if we are up for it and we might surprise a few teams we are not expected to beat

tartofmidlothian
8 minutes ago, Diego10 said:

We can't face any of those teams listed bar Partizan and Slovacko or the two from the CL league Path. 

Gent etc are in the same priority listing as us

Ah, cheers Diego. I thought the listings were only known when all the teams were known, my mistake.

tartofmidlothian
16 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Rangers would drop direct into the EL group stage if they lose their CL qualifier. The only UK teams we could draw in the EL play off would be from Wales or N.Ireland

Got it now, cheers. Jesus, it's complicated.

4 minutes ago, tartofmidlothian said:

Got it now, cheers. Jesus, it's complicated.

It is, and we’re not going to know our potential play off opponent until the CL qualifiers are well under way because we will be drawn against a drop down team. We can’t be drawn against anyone who has so far booked their place because they are all in the same pot as us 

Does it come down to the financial aspect?  Am I right in saying that all Scottish clubs in the group stage share the money?  So if The Rangers get knocked out the Champions League and end up in the Europa League with us, we'll split the pot with them (and ditto if we both end up the Conference League if that's possible - I don't know where the Rangers start in the qualifying).  If The Rangers end up the Europa League again, it would probably be better for us to be in the Conference League.

Bazzas right boot

Europa league. 

Then drop down and win the conference. 😎

Bazzas right boot
6 minutes ago, Forrest said:

Does it come down to the financial aspect?  Am I right in saying that all Scottish clubs in the group stage share the money?  So if The Rangers get knocked out the Champions League and end up in the Europa League with us, we'll split the pot with them (and ditto if we both end up the Conference League if that's possible - I don't know where the Rangers start in the qualifying).  If The Rangers end up the Europa League again, it would probably be better for us to be in the Conference League.

Prize money is per round, per game and per team. 

kingantti1874

Conference league 100%. Financially we will make more money in that competition as we will be able to take more points. The Europa league could be a slog. 

13 minutes ago, Forrest said:

The only money we'd split is the market share pool (TV money). Even then the difference in the size of the pool between EL and ECL is pretty sizeable so we'd likely be better off taking a 60/40 ( for some reason we'd get 60% as technically we have a cup winners spot) split of the EL pool with Rangers than 100% of the ECL pool to ourselves. 

Edited by Jamboross

Europa League group all day, it's a bigger attraction to potential signings & loan deals, plus if we get at least one beatable team we'd only need to finish 3rd to stay in Europe past Christmas

Might get Man Utd in the EL groups too & on current showing we'd probably absolutely spank them :lol:

Unknown user
2 minutes ago, boag1874 said:

Might get Man Utd in the EL groups too & on current showing we'd probably absolutely spank them :lol:

Just keep passing it to Maguire

Absolutely the EL. Want to play the best teams. Gives us more money and our players brilliant experiences and an incentive to get back there after next season.

Rick James

Quite happy with either. Europa would be incredible as you'll be guaranteed at least one big name, but wouldn't expect us to compete at all. The Conference league could still throw up a big name but you're also likely to get another very winnable tie in there too.

Whatever happens, I fully plan on just enjoying the experience of group stage football.

10 minutes ago, boag1874 said:

Europa League group all day, it's a bigger attraction to potential signings & loan deals, plus if we get at least one beatable team we'd only need to finish 3rd to stay in Europe past Christmas

:sweeet:

Heartsmad1874

So with things slightly clearer in terms of UCL qualifiers, lets have a look.

In UCL QR2, League Path these are the 4 teams.

Seeded

Dynamo Kyiv

Midtjylland

Unseeded

Fenerbahce

AEK Larnaca

The two losers of these 4 will drop down to UEL 3rd Round League Path and join Partizan and Slovacko.

If we are not drawn 1st or 2nd we won't be playing one of those 6 and could be up against what now is a huge list of Champions from the UCL, Champions Path.

You'd have to think the teams unseeded in UCL QR2 will be likely to lose and drop into UEL QR3 bar the odd surprise so i'll use the unseeded teams as a rough guess to who'll be in the UEL 3rd qualifying/play off.

These are the teams unseeded in UCL QR2 Champions Path.

Winner of match involving Maribor from QR1

Winner of match involving Slovan Bratislava from QR1

Winner of match involving HJK Helsinki from QR1

Winner of match involving The New Saints from QR1

Winner of match involving F91 Dudelange from QR1

Winner of match involving Zalgiris from QR1

Winner of match involving Lincoln Red Imps from QR1

Maccabi Haifa

Winner of match involving Shamrock Rovers from QR1

FC Zurich

If these 10 were to lose against the seeded team in UCL QR2 they would fall into UEL QR3, Champions Path and be drawn against each other. The 5 winners of these ties would advance to Priority Three in the Play off round draw and will be drawn against the remaining 5 teams from Priority One as two teams will have already been drawn against the winners of UEL QR3 League Path matches.

Heartsofgold

Europa League Groups please.  I want to see a couple of decent teams at Tynecastle again from the continent.

Plus the revenue is so much better than the Conference games.

Rick James
2 hours ago, tartofmidlothian said:

Neil Lennon back at Tynie. :jjyay: 

RustyRightPeg
5 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Just keep passing it to Maguire

“Leave him on it” the shout that can turn even the most alpha of male into a mere mortal. 

Heartsmad1874
4 minutes ago, Locky said:

Neil Lennon back at Tynie. :jjyay: 

Cypriot cup winners have been bumped up

to UEL Play off round are in same priority listing as us. Looks like thats due to Feyenoord and Roma already qualifying for Europa group stage from their league status and both of them being in the Conference final which winning that gives you a place in Europa group stage.

Edited by Heartsmad1874

Pasquale for King

Might well be better to start in the conference to get some experience and then progress to the EL the season after this? There doesn’t seem to be much of a difference between the prize money, the fans will travel to anywhere. 
If we get bigger teams would the club look to maximise revenue and move home games to Murrayfield 🤔?

I'm sure someone posted further back in the thread that we could draw sevco.

Clarification required by stattos methinks !

🤷‍♂️

Heartsmad1874
1 minute ago, Boab said:

I'm sure someone posted further back in the thread that we could draw sevco.

Clarification required by stattos methinks !

🤷‍♂️

Not anymore. Rangers got bumped up a round in UCL qualifying due to Russian teams being excluded. So now they'll enter UCL QR3 League Path, lose that and they are straight into Europa League group stages.

tartofmidlothian
4 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Might well be better to start in the conference to get some experience and then progress to the EL the season after this? There doesn’t seem to be much of a difference between the prize money, the fans will travel to anywhere. 
If we get bigger teams would the club look to maximise revenue and move home games to Murrayfield 🤔?

Not a great atmosphere when we played Ferencvaros there, but I reckon we could fill it for Man U. Probably with their fans, though.

1 minute ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

Not anymore. Rangers got bumped up a round in UCL qualifying due to Russian teams being excluded. So now they'll enter UCL QR3 League Path, lose that and they are straight into Europa League group stages.

👍

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, tartofmidlothian said:

Not a great atmosphere when we played Ferencvaros there, but I reckon we could fill it for Man U. Probably with their fans, though.

Yeah quite possibly, it will be interesting no matter who we draw. 

Bungalow Bill
14 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

I'd rather play all games a Tynecastle than cater for the EPL fan boys.

Pasquale for King
8 minutes ago, Apache Mal said:

I'd rather play all games a Tynecastle than cater for the EPL fan boys.

Me too but it won’t be our decision. 

tartofmidlothian
15 minutes ago, Heartsmad1874 said:

Yeah, I looked again and figured it out. It's the pathways thing that's confusing, it's like seeding for where you end up after you've lost a round, so six losers of the CL 3rd qualifying round end up in the Europa playoffs with us and the other four (including Rangers, if they lose) get a bye into the Europa groups.

tartofmidlothian
58 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Europa league. 

Then drop down and win the conference. 😎

Definite best case scenario, getting 3rd and carrying on in the Conference after Christmas I mean. It'll be a tough ask though.

Fxxx the SPFL
1 hour ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Prize money is per round, per game and per team. 

all TV money is pooled and paid per country in the group stages. We really want us to be in the EL or CL on our own then we keep the pot to ourselves. It's been quoted on the Europa League thread. 

55 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

You have to nominate your stadium well in advance of the first draw and you stick with it throughout. If we want to go to Murrayfield (I don’t) we’d have to say soon. You don’t get to wait to see who you draw

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to Europa league/conference 22/23 - Zurich v Hearts