• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RustyRightPeg

• Sooks

• Bazzas right boot

• BackOfTheNet

7 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

Does anyone know if Kio is allowed to play on Thursday as the game is outside the UK and he is registered with UEFA?

His employer would still be a UK based company, so nope.

Only way will be if the bloody govt process the visa in time.

Ridiculous really.  No wonder all our infrastructure jobs or miles behind and costing billions over budget.  We don't have the workforce and it's ridiculously hard to attain it from overseas now.

Not that Kio is building a power station right enough!

jamboinglasgow

here is a random question, if Hearts were to sign a free agent this week, and we had two options who would sign (same position) - would people rather have a decent player who can play straight away (so no work permit issues, so either British or Irish) or a really good foreign player but the player would be unable to play for a month due to work permit length of time and then getting up to speed?

12 minutes ago, Disco Ball said:

Any news on the German Lads UK Work Visa being received yet?

Found this online so not sure if legit but if you put Oretis Kiomourtzoglou into the calculator tool it suggests he doesn’t have enough points to be awarded a visa under the UK’s new system. 

The TransferRoom GBE Calculator

7 minutes ago, kevins_barnet said:

Found this online so not sure if legit but if you put Oretis Kiomourtzoglou into the calculator tool it suggests he doesn’t have enough points to be awarded a visa under the UK’s new system. 

Which is why Scotland has an appeals procedure. 

11 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

here is a random question, if Hearts were to sign a free agent this week, and we had two options who would sign (same position) - would people rather have a decent player who can play straight away (so no work permit issues, so either British or Irish) or a really good foreign player but the player would be unable to play for a month due to work permit length of time and then getting up to speed?

The latter. Anyone who signs at this point is not going to get fully up to speed anytime soon anyway, and even if they were one with no visa issues, they maybe (just maybe) would be getting match fit just as the WC break happens. So any signing at this point would need to have long term, not short term in mind. But unfortunately can’t see us signing anyone until January now.

15 minutes ago, kevins_barnet said:

He'll have more than the guys Hibs signed, that's for sure and could be wrong but I don't think it rumbled on this long, did it? (maybe it did, guess I was less invested in their pish signings)

30 minutes ago, Disco Ball said:

Any news on the German Lads UK Work Visa being received yet?

This is why it’s so frustrating he was signed late in the day as seems to take ages for this visa to be sorted 

7 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

This is why it’s so frustrating he was signed late in the day as seems to take ages for this visa to be sorted 

Brexit. 

7 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

The recent news may also effect things in the government world. Could still be a number of weeks before we see him.

On 10/09/2022 at 19:46, Renoir said:

Vydra would be fantastic!

Not going to happen, he's out until Jan with a ruptured cruciate and has turned down a 2 year deal on the table from Burnley because they offered him less than he was getting in the EPL

Vydra is an absolute pipe dream. Never gonna happen. Although he won't be able to get the same money he was on at Burnley in the EPL considering his injury and time out, he'll still want a lot more than we can offer. Wouldn't be a bad signing for Rangers/Celtic to be honest. 

Nikolai Jorgensen would be my pick and more realistic, but even then... 

Edited by Batistuta87

43 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

He'll have more than the guys Hibs signed, that's for sure and could be wrong but I don't think it rumbled on this long, did it? (maybe it did, guess I was less invested in their pish signings)

It's only been a couple of weeks since we announced him. Miovski, Rowles, Youan etc. took a fair bit longer. Some have been over a month.

6 minutes ago, 5-1Jambo said:

That's a concern 

Not really. Almost no-one a Scottish club signs will qualify automatically.

You've got Ayr United signing uncapped Congolese guys and Hibs signing a guy from the Gambian league. No chance Kio won't get one.

for those talking about Lee Wallace, he's back up here enjoying time with his family, his intentions are to go in to coaching but down south as he sees that as a better option. no intention to keep playing full time.

as for free agents, the sun (as much as I hate them) have been pretty good with hearts stories at times. we'd also be completely mental if we weren't keeping an eye on what's available. nows the time players start to realise that a half decent wage is better than no wage at all.

jamboinglasgow
12 minutes ago, Gav M said:

for those talking about Lee Wallace, he's back up here enjoying time with his family, his intentions are to go in to coaching but down south as he sees that as a better option. no intention to keep playing full time.

as for free agents, the sun (as much as I hate them) have been pretty good with hearts stories at times. we'd also be completely mental if we weren't keeping an eye on what's available. nows the time players start to realise that a half decent wage is better than no wage at all.

Would normally agree with you about the Sun, the only thing is that it was a line from an article about possible free transfers teams could go for. So could be just a throw away line.

But Robbie did say in the few days after the window closed that its usually around 10 days after the window closes that free agents start to re-evaluate their options and so become more available to us. Would also add with the World cup in November, some players looking to play who are out of contract may be desperate just to play. 

We will see. I thought we would get one more but it seems quiet, though we only found out about Clark and Snodgrass hours before they signed. 

Edited by jamboinglasgow

20 minutes ago, Gav M said:

Considering some of the reactions to Snodgrass signing I can only imagine the outcry if Wallace was to follow him 🤣. A massive no from me. Will end up at Arbroath or Open Goal (w/ Kirk Broadfoot) or something like that if he even keeps playing at all. The above seems to suggest he'll be hanging up his boots though. 

On 10/09/2022 at 11:15, Smithee said:

Nothing, I'm just saying I hate the attitude that we're not in a hurry

I sympathise with your dad. Me and my mates are early 70’s and have both seen Hearts lead the league only to lose it on last game of the season twice. My view is we need to be more ambitious in our signing policy and in how the club financially  backs the team. We are not in the same position financially post Vlad and this penny pinching cautious approach isn’t working.

Edited by OldGorgie

LarrysRightFoot

It takes time to build a squad and we will make mistakes along the way. We just need to keep evolving. It is very frustrating at times though. 

I just hope we are ready when the OF are going through a period of transition, which could be soon as Ange will be off within the next year or so (assuming things keep going well) and if Celtic win the league GVB might be under pressure. We then need to hope they make poor appointments next time round and if they do we have to be ready. 

My personal opinion is Robbie can only take us so far though and whilst the squad needs to keep evolving at some point the coaching team needs too as well. 

45 minutes ago, OldGorgie said:

I sympathise with your dad. Me and my mates are early 70’s and have both seen Hearts lead the league only to lose it on last game of the season twice. My view is we need to be more ambitious in our signing policy and in how the club financially  backs the team. We are not in the same position financially post Vlad and this penny pinching cautious approach isn’t working.

Where’s the evidence we are penny pinching?

10 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Totally agree

I can't remember a period since the early days of the vlad era where we have spent so much money.

It's probably because it's not splashed all over the papers and undisclosed fees that are driving people's ideas of underspending.

Top of my head players we have paid cash for.

Beni

Devlin

Atkinson

Rowles

Sibbick

Grant

Shankland

Kio

Plus the likes of Kingsley and Mckay were frees but they came from the championship so to get them we had to give them a good wage. 

14 minutes ago, Rods said:

Totally agree

I can't remember a period since the early days of the vlad era where we have spent so much money.

It's probably because it's not splashed all over the papers and undisclosed fees that are driving people's ideas of underspending.

Beni

Devlin

Atkinson

Rowles

Sibbick

Grant

Shankland

Kio

Plus the likes of Kingsley and Mckay were frees but they came from the championship so to get them we had to give them a good wage. 

The penny pinching stuff is hilarious.  Ann has made plenty mistakes but she's always backed her managers.  Overly at times!

The issue is almost more like we're trying to move up a level but with only enough dosh to move up half a level!  When you start wanting players better than, say GMS or Gino, you are then directly competing with English Championship sides rather than L1 sides.  You need to then jump up a huge amount in wages realistically.  It's still rough diamond territory, just maybe ones that need a bit less of a buff than before hopefully.

37 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Our budget is lower than Aberdeen’s despite us having a higher income. 

Just now, OldGorgie said:

I’ve no idea how much our budget is compared to Aberdeen’s, what are the figures? They’ve made a heck of a lot in player sales recently. 

jamboinglasgow
1 hour ago, Rods said:

Totally agree

Beni

Devlin

Atkinson

Rowles

Sibbick

Grant

Shankland

Kio

You missed Cochrane, but you make a good point there. We do know Kio cost £350k, if you include Shankland, Cochrane, Grant and Kio, it could be safe to assume that we have spent over £1m in fees alone (though that may not be all up front but the point is still relevent.) 

But while feels can be a sign of big spending, often its the wages that are a bigger indicator and one we wont really see until the finances come up. You mention Kingsley and Mckay, they were both given 3 year contracts so they will be at Hearts potentially for the rest of the peak of their career unless a club buys them so we will have given good wages. Same with Gordon getting a 2 year extension. Plus the players who have come in will have decent wages. 

Edited by jamboinglasgow

34 minutes ago, OldGorgie said:

That's not penny pinching.  What if Aberdeen have a silly budget and go bust in a year?   Should we copy them.  If Aberdeen jump off a bridge....

Like Dundee United have amassed a decent looking squad (which is hilariously shite as a team!) but their wages to turnover is eye watering.  Hibs ratio must be daft an'all.

What we need in real life, you know where good business people are making good decisions for our club, is a targeted budget based on income.

We're gonny make this the next year/2 years/3 years, we can spend this... it's as simple as that really.  It's then up to those in charge of the club to spend it where and how.  Even within the squad.  You have £5m a year for wages and fees or whatever, do you spend £4m on one guy and a million on 23 other huddies or spread it more exact.  Do we sign a bloke for £1M but he's our only signing?  Do we pay off a couple of contracts at cost but at a budget saving to afford another guy?  We've had an offer of £xm for this dude, not as much as we want, but we can replace him with this other dude who's just as good, hm, what to do....

You know real life decisions with real money and real people and moving parts.

Or do we listen to people on JKB, even though there's a high percentage chance said people know waaaaay more about how to remove pish stains from their pants than they do anything about football?  "Buy guidder players"

Lord Beni of Gorgie
47 minutes ago, OldGorgie said:

Can you pop the numbers up for us to take a look at please. Thank you :)

19 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Or do we listen to people on JKB, even though there's a high percentage chance said people know waaaaay more about how to remove pish stains from their pants than they do anything about football?  "Buy guidder players"

🤣 would love this come to come to fruition... just to see what would happen. Could you imagine!?! 😳🤣... within a season we would be skint, the corners would be filled in (probably made of Lego), the screens would be hung from the crossbeams with gaffa tape, there would be a strip club on the fifth floor, the screens would just play a FTH screensaver... but we'd have Messi up front with Ronaldo and 9 others from the under 10s. What a ride!

Edited by Rogue Daddy
spelign

16 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

I've already asked that but he seems a little shy.

Ricardo Quaresma
On 09/09/2022 at 10:11, Mr Rabbit said:

This thread 😂...

I’ve been following hearts for 30 years and don’t understand where these expectations come from. I think a lot of fans look at the quality of the player we had under Romanov and are still expecting that standard and that style. Forgetting that we almost went bust when it went tits up

Yeah, before that, when we smashed every team in the league, moved the ball up the park with clinical quick passing, like a bacterial bolus, we swarmed around the ball and took the utter piss out of everyone, no team in the league could contain us, until the whole team seemed to eat their supper from a ditch in a pig sty and got violently ill before having to play scumdee, needing a draw to win the league

That and the wins in Europe soon after, then the '98 season, then the early 2000s, then the Romanov era 😄

25 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

🤣 would love this come to come to fruition... just to see what would happen. Could you imagine!?! 😳🤣... within a season we would be skint, the corners would be filled in (probably made of Lego), the screens would be hung from the crossbeams with gaffa tape, there would be a strip club on the fifth floor, the screens would just play a FTH screensaver... but we'd have Messi up front with Ronaldo and 9 others from the under 10s. What a ride!

When you see it laid out like that, I'm....

image.jpeg.d382fe686983bb80cb1207220208f795.jpeg

5th floor sounds cracking and about time the wimmins team earned their crust imho

28 minutes ago, Ricardo Quaresma said:

Yeah, before that, when we smashed every team in the league, moved the ball up the park with clinical quick passing, like a bacterial bolus, we swarmed around the ball and took the utter piss out of everyone, no team in the league could contain us, until the whole team seemed to eat their supper from a ditch in a pig sty and got violently ill before having to play scumdee, needing a draw to win the league

That and the wins in Europe soon after, then the '98 season, then the early 2000s, then the Romanov era 😄

Far too sensible for this thread! 

Supported Hearts for 30 years. Never during that period (and only once or twice in our 150y history before) have we been consistently successful. We've had our ups and downs in those 30y, but never have we actually repeated any particular success year on year. People suddenly expecting rapid and consistent success just because we've finished third and got a bit of European money seriously need to take a look at the big picture. An additional £3-5M, whatever the figure, won't help us make up a single bit of ground on the Old Firm. Not while their budgets are potentially 10x as much. 

Love seeing my team win, hate seeing them lose, but I am a realist and I understand that without continued, consistently improved income, we'll get nowhere near the uglies any time soon and will always be a side who have a really good season once in a while, but we'll have some bad ones as well. Any other season we were sitting 4th, no matter what the run of results to get us there, people would generally be happy. Its pretty much impossible for us to do any better than 3rd and the odd cup win. If it was possible to go and win the league on £3-5M, Rangers and Celtic would save themselves £20M a season and do it lol. We'd need someone to come in and hand us a transfer kitty of about £50M for us to make any sort of difference to the constant rinse and repeat of Scottish football. 

Folks' expectations are absolutely mental. 

4 hours ago, DC_92 said:

It's only been a couple of weeks since we announced him. Miovski, Rowles, Youan etc. took a fair bit longer. Some have been over a month.

Not really. Almost no-one a Scottish club signs will qualify automatically.

You've got Ayr United signing uncapped Congolese guys and Hibs signing a guy from the Gambian league. No chance Kio won't get one.

That's good. Need new blood in ASAP. 

1 hour ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Aberdeen staff costs (2001) = £9536 k     Hearts staff costs (2001) = £7502k

jamboinglasgow
2 minutes ago, OldGorgie said:

2001? So 21 years ago?

I will give you the benefit of the doubt and it means 2021. So its going for the last fiscal year reported by the clubs, which would be season 2020/21. When we were in the Championship and Aberdeen had been around third for the last 8 years or so.

4 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

2001? So 21 years ago?

I will give you the benefit of the doubt and it means 2021. So its going for the last fiscal year reported by the clubs, which would be season 2020/21. When we were in the Championship and Aberdeen had been around third for the last 8 years or so.

Sorry I should have said 2021. The figures I show refer to 2021.

32 minutes ago, OldGorgie said:

Just because they had higher costs doesn't mean they had a higher budget. They might have gone massively over budget (probably did) whereas we've been a bit more sensible about things. Bearing in mind those staffing costs would have included the unplanned sacking of a manager + staff, then paying compo to another club for their new one - with him then bringing in his own men on and off the pitch. That could have cost them £500k alone. 

Also their additional £2M was well spent, wasn't it 🤨 - barely avoided relegation! 

Edited by Batistuta87

Lord Beni of Gorgie
49 minutes ago, OldGorgie said:

Thats not really all the numbers is it, so I take it you dont have a clue, but thanks for clearing that up for us.

Much appreciated 👍

55 minutes ago, OldGorgie said:

Aberdeen have brought in much more than us on transfers fees in the last couple of years.

Hard to compare both clubs. 

19 minutes ago, Lord Beni of Gorgie said:

Thats not really all the numbers is it, so I take it you dont have a clue, but thanks for clearing that up for us.

Much appreciated 👍

All these numbers do is make Aberdeen look worse really. They've brought in about £10M-15M or so in transfer fees over the last 3 seasons, spent just over £9.5M in one season, won nothing and in fact narrowly avoided relegation, and then had to completely rebuild their squad all over again during the closed season by signing about 17 players. We earned very little in transfer fees by comparison - £2M, £3M maybe - spent £7.5M, finished 3rd, got to a cup final, got into Europe, and have retained the majority of our key players. 

Edited by Batistuta87

48 minutes ago, OldGorgie said:

Sorry I should have said 2021. The figures I show refer to 2021.

Not being argumentative but those figures, in themselves don’t mean much. Assuming it’s the financial year they don’t take into account this window or most of the rises given to the likes of Kingsley, McKay etc.