Posted Images

2 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I know, but I can't take that to work.

Just refill the bottle from the tap!

(Sorry, I’m just a miser….)

Edited by FWJ

Just now, FWJ said:

Just refill the bottle from the tap!

I do, but I drink about six litres when I'm loading roofs all day. They don't stay cold in the summer.

dobmisterdobster
3 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

Apparently an Xbox Series X left on standby can cost up to £60 a year. A PS5 is only £4.

Just use the Energy Saver Mode

Footballfirst
1 hour ago, FWJ said:

Yes I saw that too and I’d earlier read it on the gov.uk from where it appears to have been lifted.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-government-announces-huge-investment-into-scottish-tidal-power

But that’s tidal, not wave.

You’re right, we won’t agree and I wouldn’t normally have replied but I didn’t fancy another “never replied, funnily enough” ….

Wave power is still very much in the development stage. The technology developed more than 20 years ago for a test on the coast of Islay has been used in commercial operations in Spain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islay_LIMPET

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutriku_Breakwater_Wave_Plant

Another wave solution is currently being tested at Scapa Flow.

https://www.waveenergyscotland.co.uk/news-events/aws-commence-waveswing-sea-trials/

A tidal turbine built at N.igg (spelling amended to avoid filter) has been exported to Japan.

https://www.offshore-energy.biz/simec-atlantis-tidal-kit-starts-producing-power-in-japan/

Edited by Footballfirst

2 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

Wave power is still very much in the development stage. The technology developed in a test on the coast of Islay has been used in commercial operations in Spain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islay_LIMPET

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutriku_Breakwater_Wave_Plant

Another wave solution is currently being tested at Scapa Flow.

https://www.waveenergyscotland.co.uk/news-events/aws-commence-waveswing-sea-trials/

A tidal turbine built at **** has been exported to Japan.

https://www.offshore-energy.biz/simec-atlantis-tidal-kit-starts-producing-power-in-japan/

Built at *****? That's unusual

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

I do, but I drink about six litres when I'm loading roofs all day. They don't stay cold in the summer.

Freeze a few bottles and keep them in a bag with the rest. Keeps them all cold.

14 minutes ago, Herbert. said:

People will be switching off their freezers and fridges at this rate😜

19 minutes ago, Herbert. said:

That takes electricity.

1 hour ago, dobmisterdobster said:

Just use the Energy Saver Mode

Those bought before May this year aren't on that setting from start up so would need to be done manually. 

Chippie owner on the news saying his energy bills are looking like being £6,000 per month.  As things stand he's shutting up shop.

Pretty much = energy price freeze and government backed scheme.  And that's the bare minimum and not even the optimum solution.  If business isn't included then it will be commercial and economic carnage.

16 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Chippie owner on the news saying his energy bills are looking like being £6,000 per month.  As things stand he's shutting up shop.

Pretty much = energy price freeze and government backed scheme.  And that's the bare minimum and not even the optimum solution.  If business isn't included then it will be commercial and economic carnage.

I can't see how they can avoid proper support for businesses. If they don't, as you say it will be economic and social carnage.

dobmisterdobster
33 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Those bought before May this year aren't on that setting from start up so would need to be done manually. 

I made sure to change it in the settings. Also turned off LEDs except for the controller.

6 minutes ago, pablo said:

I can't see how they can avoid proper support for businesses. If they don't, as you say it will be economic and social carnage.

Economic growth was the mantra throughout and still is.  If she stands by does nothing then it will be the polar opposite.  Quickly.  The most optimistic forecast so far is that small businesses will get access to the price freeze scheme.  Larger business with high energy intensity might be a bit worried.

7 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Economic growth was the mantra throughout and still is.  If she stands by does nothing then it will be the polar opposite.  Quickly.  The most optimistic forecast so far is that small businesses will get access to the price freeze scheme.  Larger business with high energy intensity might be a bit worried.

I think I was saying this last week sometime but Capitalist States, can't have one faction of capital so out of sync with other capital indefinitely,  they'll sooner rather than later act. 

At the same time they'll ramp up the demonisation of workers, strike action, unions etc.

Yay Capitalism.

7 minutes ago, pablo said:

I think I was saying this last week sometime but Capitalist States, can't have one faction of capital so out of sync with other capital indefinitely,  they'll sooner rather than later act. 

At the same time they'll ramp up the demonisation of workers, strike action, unions etc.

Yay Capitalism.

That will be the quid pro quo.  We came to the rescue on your energy bills... it needs paid for so we need economic growth and that means an end to your rights.

WorldChampions1902
39 minutes ago, pablo said:

Totally agree. However, we are talking about Liz Tuss here, an absolute airhead. To even be spouting off about tax cuts during the Hustings was just unbelievable. One can only hope that she files that pledge under “Yet More Junta BS” and use the money from that broken promise to freeze our energy bills.

WorldChampions1902
11 minutes ago, Victorian said:

That will be the quid pro quo.  We came to the rescue on your energy bills... it needs paid for so we need economic growth and that means an end to your rights.

TBF to Truss, she has said that she wants to fast track removal of 99% of EU legislation from our statutes, so it may well happen. And sooner that we might think.

Channel 4 News reporter was told by a Truss supporting MP that he's worried that she's going to u-turn and "give money to people who would never vote Conservative".

That's not far removed from saying we should be a one party state and dissidents should be punished.  

14 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Channel 4 News reporter was told by a Truss supporting MP that he's worried that she's going to u-turn and "give money to people who would never vote Conservative".

That's not far removed from saying we should be a one party state and dissidents should be punished.  

That has JR-M all over it

6 minutes ago, Jeff said:

That has JR-M all over it

Not a chance.  He's too wily to risk being known to have said something so fascist.  There's a few borderline psychopaths in there.  Some very worrying people.  Prime suspects are Richard Drax or Christopher Chope.

10 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Europe has a plan. Liz will agree with this. 

If Truss has any sense at all..I know, I know.....she should use the energy crisis as a means of repairing relations with Europe. 

2 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

Thank god we’ve left the EU! ::troll::

'Strong and Stable' Bring back Theresa May 🤡

There's rumours old Boris's plan is to step aside and let Truss take the flack for the upcoming omnishambles and then step in to our rescue like he did with old Theresa and Brexit.

Boris and Trump together again for 2024 anyone?

WorldChampions1902
3 minutes ago, Life Aquatic said:

'Strong and Stable' Bring back Theresa May 🤡

There's rumours old Boris's plan is to step aside and let Truss take the flack for the upcoming omnishambles and then step in to our rescue like he did with old Theresa and Brexit.

Boris and Trump together again for 2024 anyone?

Literally, anything is possible with this Junta.

Z2QMzRik_x96.jpg

Remember when Europe-hating press used to complain about the EU mandating energy efficient lightbulbs? By 2019 this had saved the average household in EU €745-€1330. Now it will be far more, as energy prices soar.

There was a bit of speculation that they were content to lose the next election in order to sit out a difficult term and then come romping back in to start another electoral cycle.  It's not unheard of.  The trouble is that the individual MPs are now too accustomed to their place at the pig trough.  There's every chance of ongoing chaos for the next 2 years.

WorldChampions1902
3 minutes ago, Victorian said:

There was a bit of speculation that they were content to lose the next election in order to sit out a difficult term and then come romping back in to start another electoral cycle.  It's not unheard of.  The trouble is that the individual MPs are now too accustomed to their place at the pig trough.  There's every chance of ongoing chaos for the next 2 years.

Any incoming government is truly inheriting a poisoned chalice.

7 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

Any incoming government is truly inheriting a poisoned chalice.

It's where democratic governments enjoy a bit of an advantage.  When coalition governments in democratic systems share the responsibilities,  blame,  praise,  risk.  When the undemocratic systems such as Westminster are inherently handicapped by the overwhelming desire to retain personal position.  Factor in the vacuum of public service on the Treasury benches and it's a profoundly necrotic prospect for pragmatism,  practicality,  mutual cooperation.

So Betty is away to see Betty in Balmoral the morn. Following that, I have No doubt Betty will save us from the energy vampires trying to suck us dry. 

:Aye:

The Mighty Thor

It's better than that.

She's going to use borrowing to pay the energy companies the top dollar they've ramped up to make sure they all make profits like never before which we'll all pay for over 20 years. 

The energy company's contribution?

Nothing. Zip. Nada.

:wonga:

:munny:I see Liam fox received 20 grand for recommending a company to the health secretary to supply useless covid gear. 

Edited by ri Alban

manaliveits105

Well done - in Liz we do indeed trust !

(the obsessed will be along shortly to pull it apart)

Her emergency package to tackle the cost of living crisis is expected to include freezing energy bills for homes and businesses until January next year at least - and possibly until 2024.

It would mean that for a typical household, energy bills would be frozen at just under £2,000. The initial cost to taxpayers would be £40bn - to be paid for by more government borrowing.

Over the past 24 hours, Truss allies have been locked in talks with energy bosses, thrashing out details of the price freeze, which if it lasts two years could eventually cost £100bn.

Government ministers are expected to claim the new PM's plan is more generous than the price freeze proposed by Labour, but she is expected to reject their demand for a windfall tax.

2 minutes ago, Dazo said:

It shouldn’t matter where you sit on this helping people with their bills is a good thing. 

It's a bit of an unusual situation with this new government. No matter what you think of the Tory party or Liz Truss personally, we sort of need her to be successful over the next two years or we're all screwed.

7 minutes ago, Dazo said:

It shouldn’t matter where you sit on this helping people with their bills is a good thing. 

Put £40bn in the hands of the poor and watch what happens to the country - it gets spent because they don't have a choice, and the entire economy benefits.

The poor benefit, they have money. Business benefits, the poor are spending money and can pay their bills. Tax yield increases directly and indirectly. 

But no, let's loan the leccy companies money.

It absolutely matters how it's done!

19 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Let's not forget, the current price was so shocking the Tories had to hand actual money out - and this is the new norm?

Not forgetting anything Smithee but help at this time is a good thing. 👍

Maybe you could make a stand and refuse the help from the Tory scum ? 😊

2 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Not forgetting anything Smithee but help at this time is a good thing. 👍

Maybe you could make a stand and refuse the help from the Tory scum ? 😊

I'm not a power company, no one's helping me out.

29 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Put £40bn in the hands of the poor and watch what happens to the country - it gets spent because they don't have a choice, and the entire economy benefits.

The poor benefit, they have money. Business benefits, the poor are spending money and can pay their bills. Tax yield increases directly and indirectly. 

But no, let's loan the leccy companies money.

It absolutely matters how it's done!

It's not just the poor who will enjoy the benefits of a price freeze, it'll be everyone.

It would be better as always to target those most in need. But I don't think it's a simple task to cross reference income per address with energy consumption. And certainly not quickly. Time is against us here.

Edited by pablo

Just now, pablo said:

It's not just the poor who will enjoy the benefits of a price freeze, it'll be everyone.

It would be better as always to target those most in need. But I think it's a simple task to cross reference income per address with energy consumption. And certainly not quickly. Time is against us here.

Bullshit, the government can move exactly as quickly as it wants to.

This is an ideological choice.

4 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I'm not a power company, no one's helping me out.

Cool I can’t get on board with that type of attitude though. I’ll be quite happy if my bills don’t double on October. 👍