Neilson ( merged )

jamborich

colinmaroon

His reorganisation, bringing Haring into defence and Sibbick at right back, Halliday into midfield sorted out the chaos that followed so many key injuries, was commendable. 

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Bazzas right boot

• soonbe110

• Watt-Zeefuik

SomethingAboutObua
4 hours ago, Tazio said:

It’s amazing how this passing the ball sideways in our own half led to 17 attempts on goal against Aberdeen. 
People see what they want to see and for some bizarre reason a lot of people seem to want to see us playing badly and won’t admit when we play well. The team were universally praised on Wednesday after the game, and within a day it was back to the usual suspects talking about how we don’t entertain. And a lot of them slaver on about 4-4-2 and getting the ball up front to a big forward as fast as possible. 

Refuse to believe these people are actually attending matches or watching on TV at this point. What theyre claiming to see is so far from the reality of this season.

25 minutes ago, OTT said:

I don't think Sibbick has set the fire alight yet, but in fairness his game against Hibs was solid. He saved us losing, which would have saw Robbie on the end of a lot of stick. 

IF we plan to continue on with 3 at the back, I think he could excel as the RCB. He's a good ball playing defender. In a back 2, I think he's a little sus. Plenty of CBs start out at RB to get minutes though.

Hopefully with a preseason under his belt and the summer to bulk up, he'll come back and make a better impact.  The fact he can play CB, RB and CDM competently is a god send though, so I think there is always going to be a role for him in the squad. 

Aye, I have to say I’m happy enough we’ve signed him. As I said I’m just not convinced by him at CB (or RCB either, but I’d prefer him in a 3 to a 4). He’s got bags of energy and is a determine guy who looks good who also looks good when he gets up the park. It’d be interesting to see how he plays in centre mid. 

36 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Just don’t see it yet with Sibbick at centre back. As you susggest though, it’s early days. More than happy to be wrong. Hopefully Souttar out short term but who would you play at CB in the quarter final if he’s still out? 

Unless Smith is back I’d think That Haring, Moore or Toby are our choices. I’d give Haring the chance tbh. Would move Halliday or Sibbick to centre mid of both Devlin and Souttar are out. 

Agree about Sibbick however he's obviously trying to convince us he's been plucked from a Sunday team playing at Inverleith such is the shortfall in his performances generally so far. Hopefully we can make him a better player but he passes to the opposing team far far too often

28 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

It’s an interesting one. I’d probably have Haring in midfield if Devlin out. I wouldn’t be opposed to Moore in at CB, his bad performances (bar one of two) have not been when at CB. But if Sibbick and Halkett have time to train during the week then I’d be okay with that too. If Haring does move back I’d like McEneff ahead of Halliday in CM though. But as you say Sibbick could do a job at CM too. We could even have a back 4 with Kingsley as the LCB and Cochrane in at LB. Many options to consider. Hopefully whatever we go with works!

Yep plenty options. I think Sibbick has similar energy and drive to our usual midfield pair so I’d play him there. Hopefully Devlin and Souttar are back and RN doesn’t have decisions to make. 

32 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

His reorganisation, bringing Haring into defence and Sibbick at right back, Halliday into midfield sorted out the chaos that followed so many key injuries, was commendable. 

He does train with the team I believe. 

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
4 hours ago, Boab said:

No chance.

We could finish 3rd, get to the cup final..or better, an extended contract for RN and this shitshow will still be here.

Correct neilson needs to far exceed expectations to win over a section of the fans (who go to the games - particularly away games)

it might not be just in some people’s eyes but it was obvious this would happen before he rejoined - if anyone one within hearts weren’t aware then they haven’t been paying enough attention

im assuming you totally disagree with the sentiment (which is obviously fine) but at least you’re aware of the real world unlike for example the poster you quoted who thinks a 3 year contract would put it to bed :lol:

Sub4TiddlerMurray
1 hour ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Well done Robbie and the team for a great fight back after those enforced subs. This is the form we have been shouting for and hopefully he can keep it up, just have to hope the injuries don't derail a great improvement. 

👏 😄 

GlasgoJambo
38 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

yup. Settled the ship, good manageringness.

kingantti1874
52 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

It's incredible the logical leaps people will go to, to play down our achievement over this campaign. 

absolute ******s.. not other words necessary 

1 hour ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

Correct neilson needs to far exceed expectations to win over a section of the fans (who go to the games - particularly away games)

it might not be just in some people’s eyes but it was obvious this would happen before he rejoined - if anyone one within hearts weren’t aware then they haven’t been paying enough attention

im assuming you totally disagree with the sentiment (which is obviously fine) but at least you’re aware of the real world unlike for example the poster you quoted who thinks a 3 year contract would put it to bed :lol:

Those fans expectations will never be met. They will say top 6, cups, away form. They are doing more harm than good with their current expectations. Here in the real world teams need time to build. Comparing where we have been to where we are now. Expectations are more than met. 

Lone Striker
2 hours ago, Gizmo said:

It's incredible the logical leaps people will go to, to play down our achievement over this campaign. 

Yep.   These folk ought to be asking themselves if Robbie's that bad a manager, why are teams like Aberdeen, Hibs & Dundee Utd unable to break free from St. Mirren, Livi & Ross Co in the league, while   we're 13 (plus) points ahead of them all.    

Digging out a draw today despite losing FIVE injured players away from home is a bloody good sign that this squad is focused,  which means Robbie & the coaches are doing their jobs well.

The players are clearly playing for him and buying into his way of playing .

He is definitely improving as manager , no doubt about it 

Nookie Bear
3 hours ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Well done Robbie and the team for a great fight back after those enforced subs. This is the form we have been shouting for and hopefully he can keep it up, just have to hope the injuries don't derail a great improvement. 

To be fair, he’s been keeping up this form for nearly two seasons. 

20 minutes ago, Lone Striker said:

Yep.   These folk ought to be asking themselves if Robbie's that bad a manager, why are teams like Aberdeen, Hibs & Dundee Utd unable to break free from St. Mirren, Livi & Ross Co in the league, while   we're 13 (plus) points ahead of them all.    

Digging out a draw today despite losing FIVE injured players away from home is a bloody good sign that this squad is focused,  which means Robbie & the coaches are doing their jobs well.

I know this is sounds obvious but for me the big difference is our win column v the non OF teams, there seems to have been an incredible amount of draws between the 4th - 10th placed teams and that one point does none of them any favours in trying to close the gap. Hibs are 4th and managed 2 points in their last two so even though they’re not losing games they simply cant close the gap. 

IMO They’re all too afraid to lose hence the cautious approach and ultimately the draws. The one team who seem to buck that trend are Livi they seem to just go for it, they have the least amount of draws, highest recent win percentage but their early season defeats have held them back. If one team is going to push for 4th they look the most likely while the rest will scrap out draws.

The Grim Reaper
2 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

absolute ******s.. not other words necessary 

Don’t forget you were a ***** of the highest order last season when you were upset. 

John Findlay

Here are the stats from yesterday's game according to Sky Sports.

I really dislike a defence minded head coach/manager.

Screenshot_20220306-081731_Samsung Internet.jpg

Sibbick is still a young player and every chance due to injuries we will need him to start in some position in the team. Some  on here seem to want him to fail, which I find difficult to understand, much better to get behind and encourage the lad (as should be the case for any player in maroon) if we want to get the best out of him.

5 minutes ago, Skacelsid said:

Sibbick is still a young player and every chance due to injuries we will need him to start in some position in the team. Some  on here seem to want him to fail, which I find difficult to understand, much better to get behind and encourage the lad (as should be the case for any player in maroon) if we want to get the best out of him.

I don’t think anyone wants him to fail. He’s just not done very well so far and people are maybe judging him a bit early. I’d be surprised if he makes it as a centre half but equally surprised if he doesn’t turn out to be an asset to the squad. Full back, wing back, centre mid aye but not a centre back from what we’ve seen so far. 

1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

I don’t think anyone wants him to fail. He’s just not done very well so far and people are maybe judging him a bit early. I’d be surprised if he makes it as a centre half but equally surprised if he doesn’t turn out to be an asset to the squad. Full back, wing back, centre mid aye but not a centre back from what we’ve seen so far. 

I'm not convinced with him as a centre-half but there may be a role elsewhere that he can excel at, such as a wing-back role or defensive midfield.

Just now, frankblack said:

I'm not convinced with him as a centre-half but there may be a role elsewhere that he can excel at, such as a wing-back role or defensive midfield.

I agree. He’s a good player.  

scott herbertson
3 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Here are the stats from yesterday's game according to Sky Sports.

I really dislike a defence minded head coach/manager.

I think this is what you meant to post, John.

image.thumb.png.686e6146e657ee645afbe70f1b859127.png

John Findlay
3 minutes ago, scott herbertson said:

I think this is what you meant to post, John.

image.thumb.png.686e6146e657ee645afbe70f1b859127.png

👍

Thought this deserved a wee bump saying as  its all went a bit quiet on the Bob out trail .

Halfwits can fill their boots 

😂😂😂😂😂

kingantti1874
3 minutes ago, ramrod said:

Thought this deserved a wee bump saying as  its all went a bit quiet on the Bob out trail .

Halfwits can fill their boots 

😂😂😂😂😂

nNot a ****ing word to say when it’s going well but will be back to wetting pants the first time it goes wrong.  

zero credibility

Rick Sanchez

He did stick with the 3-4-3 for a few games too long but he's corrected it really well. Now if we switch back at the drop of a hat, teams won't have it sussed out as much. 

Should always have more than one formation. It's great to see such fluidity to the 4-2-3-1 so soon.

13 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

nNot a ****ing word to say when it’s going well but will be back to wetting pants the first time it goes wrong.  

zero credibility

He's doing well at the moment so there's nothing to criticise. 

That hasn't always been the case.

Accepting mediocrity or worse led to our relegation 2 years ago. 

Ex member of the SaS

Robbie has now got them playing the way we all have been asking for and well done, shame it took some really poor results for him to see it though. Can he maintain this form or will he revert to his defending style? Only time will tell. The game is about winning and scoring goals is how you do that, fans only want what is best for the team and the only way to the top is to win games. It does help the rest are losing to each other on a regular basis.

kingantti1874
2 minutes ago, Hmfc1965 said:

prolonged mediocrity yes.. but robbie is doing a better job than anyone has in the past decade yet the snakes on here will be out demanding his he’s revert time we lose.. with some nonsense about how we should be challenging for title.. 

losing neilson and replacing him with crap was the reason we went down.. 

Just now, kingantti1874 said:

prolonged mediocrity yes.. but robbie is doing a better job than anyone has in the past decade yet the snakes on here will be out demanding his he’s revert time we lose.. with some nonsense about how we should be challenging for title.. 

losing neilson and replacing him with crap was the reason we went down.. 

Replacing him with crap yes  not losing him in itself. 

Anyway here's hoping this continues. 

kingantti1874
6 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Robbie has now got them playing the way we all have been asking for and well done, shame it took some really poor results for him to see it though. Can he maintain this form or will he revert to his defending style? Only time will tell. The game is about winning and scoring goals is how you do that, fans only want what is best for the team and the only way to the top is to win games. It does help the rest are losing to each other on a regular basis.

Sometimes the other teams play well and stop that from happening.  With small in expensive squads we will always be a bit inconsistent.

kingantti1874
8 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

btw.. we’ve played well for the vast majority of the season.  A few games in feb doesn’t change that 

8 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Beelin.

Well done Robbie credit where credits due..changed the formation and it seems too have sparked us back into life..special mention for Halks aswell guy has been a standout this season

2 minutes ago, Bing1874 said:

Well done Robbie credit where credits due..changed the formation and it seems too have sparked us back into life..special mention for Halks aswell guy has been a standout this season

That’s the difference between this season and last. He let things stagnate a bit last year but reacted quicker to our dip in form this time. Delighted he did and shows he’s improving. 

lost in space

Well done to Neilson (and staff/players).

He has had to change the system due to injuries but he deserves the credit for how he has done that.

Halliday did mention that there had been strong dressing room discussions (happens in many clubs) - and the changes made have benefitted the club - with players seemingly more committed to the tactics.

I am not criticizing Neilson for taking this on board - quite the opposite. If he has changed tactics from the boredom of last season, he will get my full support.

He will be here next season - and deserves to be. 

Tommy Brown
1 minute ago, Bing1874 said:

I was fearing the worst before the game last night.

St Mirren played a very open game and Hearts were up for it from the start.

We have the best squad outwith the uglies and in an open game, we should come through.

It's when teams play defensively against we struggle to break down. This is when Robbie gets it tight, from me included.

In short, RN is doing well this season and better than we expected. But, we have a strong squad and should be where we are.

Can we do better with a different coach?

We can only speculate.

davemclaren
33 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

We have the best squad outwith the uglies and in an open game, we should come through.

It's when teams play defensively against we struggle to break down. This is when Robbie gets it tight, from me included.

In short, RN is doing well this season and better than we expected. But, we have a strong squad and should be where we are.

We can only speculate.

Can we be worse with a different coach? 

1 hour ago, Hmfc1965 said:

This is far from mediocrity for Hearts it is one of our best seasons in the league for years 

2014/15   

PLD 41 31 D 4 L 6

2015/16

PLD 45 22 12 11

2016/17

PLD 24 10 8 6

2020/21

PLD 35 22 6

2021/22

PLD 36 21 6 9

Total

PLD 181 106 37 38

Even allowing for 2 Championship seasons those stats, for all competitive games, are very good. 

I've come and gone with Robbie but a strong finish to this season (3rd place, derby win(s) and, at least a valiant attempt to, win the Cup) and the head coach position remains his, imo.

Edited by martoon

24 minutes ago, Sooks said:

This is far from mediocrity for Hearts it is one of our best seasons in the league for years 

It is and there's not much to criticise at the moment. 

The mediocrity comment was mainly about Levein's time.

Leveins Battalion

If we finish 3rd and win the Scottish Robbie will be up there with the best Hearts managers ever imo.😂

7 minutes ago, Hmfc1965 said:

It is and there's not much to criticise at the moment. 

The mediocrity comment was mainly about Levein's time.

Leveins era was sometimes mediocrity  and other times totally shit with very short periods of topping the league and beating Celtic but overall as a whole it was mediocrity yes

1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

btw.. we’ve played well for the vast majority of the season.  A few games in feb doesn’t change that 

Correct.

We also need to remind the sceptics that Hearts have played well in all of the four and a half seasons Robbie's been coach/manager. A proud record.

Another four typical Robbie-coached goals yesterday, for anyone who still doesn't see it.

1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

We can only speculate.

Livi on Sat will be such an occasion. No way they will come out and play so it will probably be a pretty dour affair.

I won't blame RN if we struggle to break them down. It's difficult when a team doesn't want to play so will cut him and the team a bit of slack if those shitehawks turn up looking for a 0-0.

Edited by Boab

Tommy Brown
1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

Can we be worse with a different coach? 

Yes, we had a decent squad (on paper)

Under Levein, the set-up was chronic.

He will argue injuries.

Unfortunately for us, CL didn't have anyone to answer to and got away with it far too long.

But as my original post, we can only speculate if another coach will do better.

Tommy Brown
1 hour ago, Sooks said:

With our disposable income, we are where should be permanently.

3 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

zero credibility

Or maybe people criticise when it's justified.

There isn't much to criticise at the moment. 

davemclaren
25 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

With our disposable income, we are where should be permanently.

I’d like to think we could sneak higher than third at some point. 😎

Tommy Brown
2 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I’d like to think we could sneak higher than third at some point. 😎

Would be great, but looking unrealistic.

20 points off 2nd now, will be most likely 30 by the end.

I'm a glass half empty type of guy:lol: