Inflation

jamb0_1874

ArcticJambo
46 minutes ago, DALLY JAMBO said:

LRFC final pre-season game yesterday was away to PETERSHILL finishing in a 1-1 draw. The game had a 1.30 kick off so looking forward to all the LRFC games this year just to see how they fit in the Lowland League.

Thanks for the info. Hope to get along to Prestonfield this coming season. :thumbsup:👍

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• Unknown user

• The Mighty Thor

• JudyJudyJudy

William H. Bonney
3 hours ago, Dirk McTarkin said:

The wee chippy that used to be across the road from the Commie Pool did half pizza and chips for 50p when I was a nipper. We'd walk to-and-from Oxgangs to the Commie to save our bus fare for this fine Scotio-Italian delicacy. Sometimes we would need to collect some empty globe bottles on the way to make up any shortfall. Magic.

Was that the one on the corner? 

I used to eat them on I think the number 7 bus,  which when it reached frogston Road, turned into a number 11, taking me close to home. 

Edited by William H. Bonney

highlandjambo3
26 minutes ago, William H. Bonney said:

I used to eat them on I think the number 7 bus,  which when it reached frogston Road, turned into a number 11, taking me close to home. 

Brattisani’s……..memories flooding back to 70’s swimming at the commi pool.

16 hours ago, Smithee said:

That's mental.

To be fair though, mine was in Bo'ness, you'd expect to pay a premium for not being in Bo'ness.

Which one in Bo'ness?  Corvi's broon fish supper is great but their chips are hit or miss.  Barracuda used to be good but last few times it's not been good at all.   Never used the other two.  

Almost worth heading to uphall for Aldos.  

il Duce McTarkin
2 hours ago, William H. Bonney said:

It was, aye. Think it's a Chinese now.

1 hour ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Not sure if Brattisani's was a purveyor of the half pizza supper, tbh. My mum used to take me there for big fancy icecreams as a treat. I didn't really like them.

Unknown user
31 minutes ago, cannonfoda said:

Which one in Bo'ness?  Corvi's broon fish supper is great but their chips are hit or miss.  Barracuda used to be good but last few times it's not been good at all.   Never used the other two.  

Almost worth heading to uphall for Aldos.  

Peking something, they have a chippy menu too 

highlandjambo3
34 minutes ago, Dirk McTarkin said:

It was, aye. Think it's a Chinese now.

Not sure if Brattisani's was a purveyor of the half pizza supper, tbh. My mum used to take me there for big fancy icecreams as a treat. I didn't really like them.

It was chips or nowt for me

henrysmithsgloves
31 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Is that the old Martin's,just along from bo'ness United?

1 hour ago, Smithee said:

They fired all their staff so everyone in the toon boycotting the place - pity as the Chinese scran was pretty good.   

If ever in Bo'ness look up the chubby hubby snack van for some quality burgers - bit more expensive than usual but restaurant quality food waaay better than 5guys etc. 

Corbie Inn is good as well especially with the comedy club night - 10 quid and you get 3 or 4 decent comedians.  

41 minutes ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

Martins is still there.  Not sure who owns it the now.... been thru loads of different hands via gambling debts I've heard.  Never ate from there.  

Peking cuisine is next to the bookies on the lithgy road. 

il Duce McTarkin
1 hour ago, cannonfoda said:

If ever in Bo'ness look up the chubby hubby snack van for some quality burgers - bit more expensive than usual but restaurant quality food waaay better than 5guys etc. 

Oxgangs lad, if I'm not mistaken. Think he's been a chef for around 30 years.

Unknown user
2 hours ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

It's just up from the ground aye, but I couldn't tell you it's history

Unknown user

They fired all their staff so everyone in the toon boycotting the place - pity as the Chinese scran was pretty good.   

Corbie Inn is good as well especially with the comedy club night - 10 quid and you get 3 or 4 decent comedians.  

Oh really? Not cool

henrysmithsgloves
2 minutes ago, Smithee said:

It's just up from the ground aye, but I couldn't tell you it's history

I know the one, it's a different price each week for the same stuff

henrysmithsgloves

Martins is still there.  Not sure who owns it the now.... been thru loads of different hands via gambling debts I've heard.  Never ate from there.  

Peking cuisine is next to the bookies on the lithgy road. 

I know the one now,just up from the barracuda 👍🏻

Statts1976uk
23 hours ago, Tommy Brown said:

Petrol is £1.42 /litre now  it was around £2.00 not so long ago.

Complainers just like to complain :whistling:

This is true but it's still 5p to 10p higher than what it should be. It's OK though as the government are launching an app or something so we can compare prices but they won't bring the retailers to account though.

ArcticJambo

Can't remember where I was but saw it at 135.8 last week at an Asda, and it caught me, sure it was just outside Edinburgh but lo & behold every supermarket price in the city is still arounf 143/4 for unleaded.

Tommy Brown
5 hours ago, Statts1976uk said:

This is true but it's still 5p to 10p higher than what it should be. It's OK though as the government are launching an app or something so we can compare prices but they won't bring the retailers to account though.

Unfortunately, my sarcasm wasn't coming through in my post.

henrysmithsgloves

Family member had a independent garage/fuel station in Falkirk in the 90s. He got phone call from a supermarket asking him to raise his fuel prices. He was cheaper by about 2p a litre than everyone else in the town. Just shows the supermarkets were running a cartel back then😞

Malinga the Swinga
8 hours ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

Family member had a independent garage/fuel station in Falkirk in the 90s. He got phone call from a supermarket asking him to raise his fuel prices. He was cheaper by about 2p a litre than everyone else in the town. Just shows the supermarkets were running a cartel back then😞

Costco petrol currently about 10/11p per litre cheaper than pumps. It used to be about 6p but supermarkets just refusing to bring prices down in Edinburgh. It's a cartel and everyone knows it.

The Mighty Thor
15 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Costco petrol currently about 10/11p per litre cheaper than pumps. It used to be about 6p but supermarkets just refusing to bring prices down in Edinburgh. It's a cartel and everyone knows it.

12p dearer for diesel than my local supermarket.

But they're not gouging the punters likes 😂

The Jazz Emu

Yes, petrol is more expensive.

Show these companies what’s what.  Pedal to work or just walk.  It’s so good for you too.

Diadora Van Basten

Inflation now 7.9% better than predicted 8.2%.

Shadow Chancellor avoided question about Interest Rates saying this is a question for The Bank of England.

Beginning to think Labour could blow the next election as they are pretty much the same as the Tories.

The Real Maroonblood
31 minutes ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

Shadow Chancellor avoided question about Interest Rates saying this is a question for The Bank of England.

Beginning to think Labour could blow the next election as they are pretty much the same as the Tories.

Unfortunately food prices and fuel are still astronomical.

The Mighty Thor
50 minutes ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

For context;

US Inflation 3%

Eurozone inflation 5.5%

Interest rates will go up again as the Government/BoE pursue a policy of trying to bring on a recession. 

Diadora Van Basten
8 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

For context;

US Inflation 3%

Eurozone inflation 5.5%

Interest rates will go up again as the Government/BoE pursue a policy of trying to bring on a recession. 

I personally believe that it’s cost push inflation and that inflation will fall over time whether interest rates are 1% or I 100% as last years increases in prices fall out of the annual inflation calculation.

Edited by Diadora Van Basten

The Mighty Thor
5 minutes ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

I personally believe that it’s cost push inflation and that inflation will fall over time whether interest rates are 1% or I 100% as last years increases in prices fall out of the annual inflation calculation.

I'm less sure of that. Structural inflation is till 6.9% and that's less about cost of goods and more on monetary policy.

That fell 0.1% last month. 

On 16/07/2023 at 18:30, highlandjambo3 said:

Fish supper and a knickerbocker glory, heaven

periodictabledancer
43 minutes ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

Structural inflation isn't under control , there's a large sector of the population with plenty of  money and they're spending it (see car sales figures for last year) so the govt is reducing mortgage holders to penury as a consequence. It isn't going to work because they wont tax the things that need to be taxed to bring down demand 

Unknown user
7 minutes ago, periodictabledancer said:

Structural inflation isn't under control , there's a large sector of the population with plenty of  money and they're spending it (see car sales figures for last year) so the govt is reducing mortgage holders to penury as a consequence. It isn't going to work because they wont tax the things that need to be taxed to bring down demand 

So what you're saying is that to save us all, the Tories simply need to go after their core vote, folk with money?

Brilliant, I might hold my breath!

periodictabledancer
3 minutes ago, Smithee said:

So what you're saying is that to save us all, the Tories simply need to go after their core vote, folk with money?

Brilliant, I might hold my breath!

Tax the goods that are causing structural inflation. But we've been here before over the decades and they never have or will. Instead , let's crush  many working families living standards and create some more homelessness. The Tory way. 

manaliveits105

Inflation rate is down though - fact 

Tories getting the country back on track

onwards and upwards 

3 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

onwards and upwards 

In terms of interest rates, you're spot on there.

The media spin today is 'inflation now lower than expected' rather than it still being ridiculously high for reasons that include Brexit.

The Real Maroonblood
8 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

onwards and upwards 

:rofl:

Unknown user
9 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

onwards and upwards 

Hey, it's Great Post's cousin, Stupid!

Fxxx the SPFL
2 hours ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

Surprise surprise inflation dropping just in time for September when the triple lock kicks in for next years benefit/pension rises call me cynical

Malinga the Swinga
12 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

Surprise surprise inflation dropping just in time for September when the triple lock kicks in for next years benefit/pension rises call me cynical

Your cynical 

The Real Maroonblood
14 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

Also 3 by elections tomorrow. 

Even if inflation does continue to trend downwards,  it's still not enough to help the cost of living.  Until it comes down to near the basic target of 2%,  it merely means that everything is still rising at a slighly lower rate than it might have.  Food inflation turbulence and variation is likely to exist for some time therefore it may be impossible to stabilise the overall rate of inflation as a result.  The BofE are not likely to greatly reduce interest rates if inflation continues to bob around well above the target.

So when the government inevitably crows about small reductions in the rate of inflation,  they're really just continuing their tendency to piss down your back and tell you it's not even raining.

Edited by Victorian

Jeffros Furios
41 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

onwards and upwards 

Sorry cannae help it :rofl:

Diadora Van Basten
1 hour ago, periodictabledancer said:

Tax the goods that are causing structural inflation. But we've been here before over the decades and they never have or will. Instead , let's crush  many working families living standards and create some more homelessness. The Tory way. 

Indeed it’s following Thatcherite principles that were extreme even for The Conservatives in the late 70s early 80s and I am surprised that Labour are happy to be associated with these policies.

1 minute ago, GBJambo said:

Is food inflation not still at 18% ?

So this reduction to 7.9% isn’t really telling the bigger picture 

Indeed.  Real terms inflation for the poorest is still effectively extremely high.

periodictabledancer
24 minutes ago, GBJambo said:

Is food inflation not still at 18% ?

So this reduction to 7.9% isn’t really telling the bigger picture 

The drop to 7.9% is caused mainly by the drop in fuel prices so I'm not seeing inflation being brought under control. 

Food inflation is still around 18%,  that's not going to fall much and if the grain situation in Ukraine doesn't ease we'll still have rampant food inflation for a long time to come.

periodictabledancer
5 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

jkb experts inflation rate remains high shock :greggy:

You stick with the s*n and you'll be fine.

Diadora Van Basten
10 minutes ago, periodictabledancer said:

The drop to 7.9% is caused mainly by the drop in fuel prices so I'm not seeing inflation being brought under control. 

Food inflation is still around 18%,  that's not going to fall much and if the grain situation in Ukraine doesn't ease we'll still have rampant food inflation for a long time to come.

I think most food inflation went up between May and November last year and will drop out of the calculation in time.

My favourite bottle of wine went up 10% in October. There are no signs it will go up again indeed it is usually discounted by more than 10% at the weekend.

This 10% increase will remain in the inflation calculations until November when it will drop to 0%. 

periodictabledancer
1 minute ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

I think most food inflation went up between May and November last year and will drop out of the calculation in time.

My favourite bottle of wine went up 10% in October. There are no signs it will go up again indeed it is usually discounted by more than 10% at the weekend.

This 10% increase will remain in the inflation calculations until November when it will drop to 0%. 

Grain prices likely to jump again because of Ukraine situation. Current weather in Europe will hit all kinds of crops. But hopefully Bordeaux will be unaffected 😀

manaliveits105
5 minutes ago, periodictabledancer said:

You stick with the s*n and you'll be fine.

You stick with daily doomsday with yer comrades - further interest rate rises might not materialise either - more bad news for you to get over .

onwards and upwards unless Labour feck it up