Inflation

jamb0_1874

theAlvasection

Building sites are slowing down badly now.The plumbing company I work for have had two rounds of redundancies and are now going down to a four day week apparently.

Grim stuff at the moment.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• Unknown user

• The Mighty Thor

• JudyJudyJudy

manaliveits105
1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

It’s all a f*****g sham.

Yet the Village Idiot continues to troll these threads as if it’s one big laugh.

Stop it then 

The Real Maroonblood
59 minutes ago, theAlvasection said:

Building sites are slowing down badly now.The plumbing company I work for have had two rounds of redundancies and are now going down to a four day week apparently.

Grim stuff at the moment.

Do you know the reason why work has stopped at the Capital Park development in Sighthill?

1 hour ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

It’s all a f*****g sham.

Yet the Village Idiot continues to troll these threads as if it’s one big laugh.

I forgot to mention the fact that anyone on over 28k pays more income tax than anywhere else in the UK. Our government used to state more people pay less tax than rest of lf UK (think split was 51-49) I'm willing to bet after some of the pay rises past year or 2, that 51-49 percentage has slipped the other way. Then there's the latest proposals to ram Council tax up for anyone above a band D property because 'they must be able to afford it as they've a bigger hoose'! Wouldn't be so bad if council tax bandings reflected the actual true values of properties but there are so many anomalies. Let's not even go there with the idea that folk can't sell their house unless it has a ground heat sourced pump instead of a gas boiler. Guess that's what happens when you let 7 green MSPs pull your strings in order to maintain 'power'🙈

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

Not nearly it is two quid in the one near me.

Beat them at their own game.  Only buy what you need, go shopping with a list, walk more drive less, do not snack and only have four pints instead of six on a match day👍

Yes im thinking of starving myself to death. Its cheaper than eating it seems :) 

You can always apply to the local council to have your council tax band re-assessed, but they may decide that you go up a band, and then they'll probably adjust all your neighbour's bands too, which will make you very popular.

JudyJudyJudy
6 minutes ago, hmfcbilly said:

Guess that's what happens when you let 7 green MSPs pull your strings in order to maintain 'powe

aye the same council tax the SNP said they would abolish way back in the 2012.

3 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

aye the same council tax the SNP said they would abolish way back in the 2012.

Yep. I remember that manifesto pledge well. Its taken them 11 years to come up with this wonderful, fairer, progressive fix for the unfair council tax 🙈🤣🤣 absolute shower that they are.

3 hours ago, Cade said:

You can always apply to the local council to have your council tax band re-assessed, but they may decide that you go up a band, and then they'll probably adjust all your neighbour's bands too, which will make you very popular.

Tried that 8 years ago when I bought my house on the basis my neighbour paid 50k more for a 4 bed with 3/4 acre of land for a garden. My 3 bed bungalow (and much smaller garden) apparently has a bigger outside square footage than that other house and that's what they base the valuations on (hospital big the outside sq footage is rather than actual value!) Not quite sure how it works if you've upstairs too (which I dont) is it just the outside square footage from ground level?

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, hmfcbilly said:

Yep. I remember that manifesto pledge well. Its taken them 11 years to come up with this wonderful, fairer, progressive fix for the unfair council tax 🙈🤣🤣 absolute shower that they are.

They certainly are. 

LarrysRightFoot
20 hours ago, Tazio said:

It’s almost funny how the price increases in certain foods are so huge.  I bought a tin of Heinz soup a few days ago from the corner shop near my work. £1.99!! Very recently Baxter’s seemed expensive at £1.09. 

It’s these big brands that are the problem. They could post huge profits without any prices increases but want larger profits driven by shareholder expectation.

Now plenty of people will be in some kind of investment/pension fund that invests in these big brands and if they don’t post profits the share price falls hence the pension/Investment fund falls. 

It’s a self perpetuating un-virtuous cycle. 

theAlvasection
21 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Do you know the reason why work has stopped at the Capital Park development in Sighthill?

Can't help you with that one,It could be because material costs are now sky high and subcontractors are trying to renegotiate prices from the main builder.

Unknown user
5 minutes ago, theAlvasection said:

Can't help you with that one,It could be because material costs are now sky high and subcontractors are trying to renegotiate prices from the main builder.

I'd hate to be a bunch of sheep shagging wankers thinking of building a stadium right now

theAlvasection
27 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I'd hate to be a bunch of sheep shagging wankers thinking of building a stadium right now

All they can do is think about it.

The Real Maroonblood
41 minutes ago, theAlvasection said:

👍

periodictabledancer
7 hours ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

It’s these big brands that are the problem. They could post huge profits without any prices increases but want larger profits driven by shareholder expectation.

Now plenty of people will be in some kind of investment/pension fund that invests in these big brands and if they don’t post profits the share price falls hence the pension/Investment fund falls. 

It’s a self perpetuating un-virtuous cycle. 

An article on Admiral Insurance said they'd lost over 1/3 of a million customers after massive price hikes in premiums but still made a profit and the share price increased on the back of it.

Meanwhile embedded inflation is stil not under control and it's due in part  to the profiteering of airlines & holiday companies. This has been the situation for months and poor mortgage owners are paying the price for it. 

doctor jambo
41 minutes ago, periodictabledancer said:

An article on Admiral Insurance said they'd lost over 1/3 of a million customers after massive price hikes in premiums but still made a profit and the share price increased on the back of it.

Meanwhile embedded inflation is stil not under control and it's due in part  to the profiteering of airlines & holiday companies. This has been the situation for months and poor mortgage owners are paying the price for it. 

The wife’s car insurance with esure.

last year £720, no accidents/claims/ points

this year the offer is£1220

not renewing 

1 hour ago, periodictabledancer said:

Admiral profits up 4% despite losing 380,000 customers.

:kirk:

periodictabledancer
1 hour ago, doctor jambo said:

The wife’s car insurance with esure.

last year £720, no accidents/claims/ points

this year the offer is£1220

not renewing 

According to Admiral, the rocketing energy cost alone adds £70 to the average repair, there's a chronic lack of parts (resulting in soaring  costs for courtesy cars because cars are off road for so long now). 

• 2 weeks later...

Bank of England, Chancellor and PM telling folk that their pay demands are causing the inflation,  the folk who haven't had a decent wage for 15 years, while the their mates make a killing and are the real cause of inflation.  One day the people will hang these *****.

On 16/08/2023 at 16:23, joondalupjambo said:

Not nearly it is two quid in the one near me.

Beat them at their own game.  Only buy what you need, go shopping with a list, walk more drive less, do not snack and only have four pints instead of six on a match day👍

Sorry you've gone too far there 

joondalupjambo
28 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Sorry you've gone too far there 

I know, apologies went overboard with particular saving😀

henrysmithsgloves
On 17/08/2023 at 18:57, periodictabledancer said:

According to Admiral, the rocketing energy cost alone adds £70 to the average repair, there's a chronic lack of parts (resulting in soaring  costs for courtesy cars because cars are off road for so long now). 

Plenty parts available trust me on that one. It's profiteering plain and simple. One dealership I was at went from £115 to £165 an hour,what did we get? ,hee haw. Yet profits jumped up forty odd million quid,and working conditions got worse. That was only the repair side of the business 🤬🤬

On 16/08/2023 at 13:47, Footballfirst said:

So we are supposed to be grateful that inflation is now ONLY 6.8%.

Just go back two years to July 21 when inflation was running at the BOE target rate of 2%. 

A year later in July 22 the inflation rate was 10.1%, so £100 of goods bought in July 21 had increased in price to £110.10

Compound a further year at 6.8% and the £100 worth of goods now costs £117.59.

My pensions over the same two year period have gone up by a total of 9.71%, so my income relative to inflation has fallen and I am 7.88% poorer than I was two years ago.

I will only be grateful when the current bunch of shysters is evicted from Westminster. 

Simon Jordan wants his patter back. One Tory replaced by another. Sir Kiddy Starver been taking gifts undeclared.  He's just a Tory.

periodictabledancer
20 hours ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

Plenty parts available trust me on that one. It's profiteering plain and simple. One dealership I was at went from £115 to £165 an hour,what did we get? ,hee haw. Yet profits jumped up forty odd million quid,and working conditions got worse. That was only the repair side of the business 🤬🤬

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2023/jul/24/car-parts-shortage-leaves-drivers-in-limbo-as-makers-put-sales-first

Car parts shortage leaves drivers in limbo as makers ‘put sales first’

Motorists are waiting months for repairs, or having cars written off, because replacement parts apparently cannot be found.

4 minutes ago, periodictabledancer said:

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2023/jul/24/car-parts-shortage-leaves-drivers-in-limbo-as-makers-put-sales-first

Motorists are waiting months for repairs, or having cars written off, because replacement parts apparently cannot be found.

Hope it doesn't happen to me. Call back about cruise control. 

Edited by ri Alban

henrysmithsgloves
37 minutes ago, periodictabledancer said:

Worked ,and plenty mates in the trade. 😜unless it's something obscure that's required. I remember waiting over a year for metro body parts,but that was in the 90s

Edited by henrysmithsgloves

The Mighty Thor

7 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Interesting to see the global superpower island of Ireland doesn't seem to be suffering the food inflation levels that it's nearest neighbour does. 

Their interest rates aren't as high as ours nor are they forecast to top out anywhere near ours either. 

It couldn't possibly be that they've not got a really shit clueless goverment? surely not. 

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Interesting to see the global superpower island of Ireland doesn't seem to be suffering the food inflation levels that it's nearest neighbour does. 

Their interest rates aren't as high as ours nor are they forecast to top out anywhere near ours either. 

It couldn't possibly be that they've not got a really shit clueless goverment? surely not. 

Russia and Ukrainian at war and are lower than the UK.

:facepalm:

Jambof3tornado
3 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Russia and Ukrainian at war and are lower than the UK.

:facepalm:

Yup

On another note asda dundee 144.9p unleaded.

Asda Grangemouth........149.9????

How the fekk???

il Duce McTarkin
5 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Meh.

I'd take high inflation and interest rates over all those Catholics any day of the week.

34 minutes ago, il Duce McTarkin said:

Meh.

I'd take high inflation and interest rates over all those Catholics any day of the week.

I shouldn't laugh but...:lol:

Anyway, got an inflation busting deal with my current gas & leccy provider (e-on).

1 year deal

No fee to leave

A whole 50 (yes, FIFTY) British Pounds Sterling monies cheaper than ANY annual cap set by the UK Gov.

FIDDY POUNDS!!!!!!!

IN A YEAR!!!!!

Bargain of this century!

Am away to book a cruise for the whole family!

Some reports inflation is endemic with more pressures on prices to come with supply issues top of list.

Edited by Mikey1874

Jambof3tornado

Junior got a remortgage quote through...current deal ends march its 2.19%......new best offer......6.44%

Ouchie.

My 10 year fix at 2.19% looks sheer genius now!!!

Hope for his sake rates ease back.a bit.......not enough to arse up my savings though!!!

On 29/08/2023 at 15:02, il Duce McTarkin said:

Meh.

Fair point

43 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Junior got a remortgage quote through...current deal ends march its 2.19%......new best offer......6.44%

Ouchie.

My 10 year fix at 2.19% looks sheer genius now!!!

Hope for his sake rates ease back.a bit.......not enough to arse up my savings though!!!

6.44% seems high tbh, was that a 2 year fix from his existing provider or did he go through a broker?

periodictabledancer
On 29/08/2023 at 07:38, The Mighty Thor said:

Logistics costs for imports into UK are huge compared to intra- EU - and there are lower levels of imports/scarcity of produce  as a result, further driving up costs.

Jambof3tornado
4 hours ago, Ribble said:

6.44% seems high tbh, was that a 2 year fix from his existing provider or did he go through a broker?

Broker he used to get mortgage initially.

Jambof3tornado
4 hours ago, Ribble said:

Hoping rates drop before march to ease his pain lol. 3 or 4 BOE meets in before then.

Diadora Van Basten

It just seems to be getting worse. Inflation forecast to go up next month and Bank of England looking to press on with two more interest rate rises in the next couple of months.

Jambof3tornado
4 hours ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

It just seems to be getting worse. Inflation forecast to go up next month and Bank of England looking to press on with two more interest rate rises in the next couple of months.

I think house prices will make them press the pause button at this months get together....and hold until next year as they are.

Diadora Van Basten
2 minutes ago, Jambof3tornado said:

I think house prices will make them press the pause button at this months get together....and hold until next year as they are.

September is traditionally a very busy month for home sales after this I think sales will drop off a cliff. 

That thing you do
13 hours ago, Jambof3tornado said:

Disagree. House prices need to come down in the UK by at least 25%.

I doubt a bit of house price pain will deter the BOE. As has been said a few times, the way to curb inflation is to have interest rates above the rate of inflation.

That would cause defaults to go through the roof so what you get is light touch fudge.

il Duce McTarkin
2 hours ago, That thing you do said:

At least.

2 hours ago, That thing you do said:

I doubt a bit of house price pain will deter the BOE. As has been said a few times, the way to curb inflation is to have interest rates above the rate of inflation.

That would cause defaults to go through the roof so what you get is light touch fudge.

Would leave a lot of people stranded in negative equity