Inflation

jamb0_1874

The Mighty Thor

Things don't seem to be improving at all do they?

Something wibble Ukraine, wibble pandemic, global forces wibble wibble

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• Unknown user

• The Mighty Thor

• JudyJudyJudy

The Real Maroonblood
6 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Fantastic excuses. 

Always somebody else's fault. 

periodictabledancer
26 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

The level of profiteering is a national disgrace.

Food inflation is rampant and totally out of control. In my experience, it's way beyond the figures being quoted here. And that's just for basics. 

Unknown user
1 minute ago, periodictabledancer said:

The level of profiteering is a national disgrace.

Food inflation is rampant and totally out of control. In my experience, it's way beyond the figures being quoted here. And that's just for basics. 

It's cumulative though, at every step of the food production chain there are increased costs. The growers are paying more for their leccy and gas, the logistics companies too, even the amount it costs to keep a store warm and fridges cold.

I'm not saying that no one's out of order, but there plenty reason for what we're seeing.

Imagine you own a corner shop, you used to pay a tenner for a crate of coke. Now it's 12 quid to reflect all the costs further up the line, plus all your bills, and food costs have gone up. We're just the suckers at the bottom of the chain.

I was in Liverpool recently and was shocked that a large kebab was only £4 it was lovely anaw. it’s £9.50 round my bit 

Shooter McGavin

I’m surprised it’s only 17.5%, to be honest.

Seems like things you used to get for £1 are now £1.50, £1.50 are now £2.25 etc.

Just waiting for the supermarkets to announce record profits… 

:facepalm:

Unknown user
1 minute ago, Shooter McGavin said:

I’m surprised it’s only 17.5%, to be honest.

Seems like things you used to get for £1 are now £1.50, £1.50 are now £2.25 etc.

Just waiting for the supermarkets to announce record profits… 

:facepalm:

Chocolate oranges, £3 in my local shop.

They were £1.50, occasionally on a £1 special a year ago! 

The Mighty Thor
8 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

Do we have comparative figures for across Europe? 

Ah bugger I missed that one off my list of wibble and it's probably my favourite one too. 

I often wonder just how much comfort those poor souls struggling to feed their families get from knowing that somewhere someone is justifying the economic shitshow by saying 'it's the same in yoorup likesy**' 

** it's not. Not by any measure. At all. 

Shooter McGavin
9 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Chocolate oranges, £3 in my local shop.

They were £1.50, occasionally on a £1 special a year ago! 

It’s definitely the area I’m noticing the biggest difference.

I’m happy to go for own-brand alternatives, but they’re the becoming the emptiest sections on the shelves now so it’s getting harder.

Stuck paying £2+ for things that were £1 a few years ago.

5 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Ah bugger I missed that one off my list of wibble and it's probably my favourite one too. 

I often wonder just how much comfort those poor souls struggling to feed their families get from knowing that somewhere someone is justifying the economic shitshow by saying 'it's the same in yoorup likesy**' 

It provides important context to your rants about it being caused specifically by the Tories though doesn't it? If ifs markedly higher, let's by all means lay into them. Otherwise what are they meant to do to mitigate? 

If you just want to howl at the moon though carry on. 

The Mighty Thor
13 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

It provides important context to your rants about it being caused specifically by the Tories though doesn't it? If ifs markedly higher, let's by all means lay into them. Otherwise what are they meant to do to mitigate? 

If you just want to howl at the moon though carry on. 

17.5% grocery inflation in the UK (where we live) = moon howling.

Of course it's always, without exception, not the Tories fault. None of it.

5 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

17.5% grocery inflation in the UK (where we live) = moon howling.

Of course it's always, without exception, not the Tories fault. None of it.

Not saying it isn't. Saying if it's a Europe-wide problem it's hard to blame a single party though. 

What steps would you like to see? Otherwise it is just moonhowling. Total whinging little kid nonsense. 

Diadora Van Basten
59 minutes ago, KG1874 said:

I was in Liverpool recently and was shocked that a large kebab was only £4 it was lovely anaw. it’s £9.50 round my bit 

When I was at Anfield the kebab shop had a price for when the football was on about double the normal price.

Diadora Van Basten

I saw Michael Gove on Laura Kuensberg accusing LLs of putting rents up by 20% as profiteering. 

He seems to not understand that profit is income less expenditure and Landlords biggest expense is Mortgage Interest that has gone up 1600% in a year due to the BOE. 

Unknown user
30 minutes ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

I saw Michael Gove on Laura Kuensberg accusing LLs of putting rents up by 20% as profiteering. 

He seems to not understand that profit is income less expenditure and Landlords biggest expense is Mortgage Interest that has gone up 1600% in a year due to the BOE. 

I heard Michael Gove on radio yesterday talking about banning laughing gas because the public shouldn't have to worry about drug users!

Quite the laddie that Gove.

periodictabledancer
2 hours ago, Smithee said:

It's cumulative though, at every step of the food production chain there are increased costs. The growers are paying more for their leccy and gas, the logistics companies too, even the amount it costs to keep a store warm and fridges cold.

I'm not saying that no one's out of order, but there plenty reason for what we're seeing.

Imagine you own a corner shop, you used to pay a tenner for a crate of coke. Now it's 12 quid to reflect all the costs further up the line, plus all your bills, and food costs have gone up. We're just the suckers at the bottom of the chain.

£6.00 for a four pack of low sugar/salt Heinz beans.

Where they growing this stuff, Mars ? 

On 24/03/2023 at 17:18, periodictabledancer said:

My missus work for a mortgage advice company and she told me lenders are MUCH more switched on to risky lending now. Borrowers have to submit a precise income/spending plan and there are more than a few that don't "pass" meaning they can't get the full amount or they might be rejected completely. Its over a year since she told me lenders expect borrowers to be able to absorb increased rates to some degree, almost as if they were expecting rates to rise (significantly) eventually . 

Glad to hear it. Remember nervously going to a mortgage advisor in 2012 when we bought our first house, worried they wouldn't offer us enough for the house we really wanted.

We needn't have worried, as they would have been quite happy to loan us almost twice what we were looking for, which would've been somewhere around 6-7x our joint income and cost us in excess of £2k per month! Mental...

1 hour ago, Diadora Van Basten said:

When I was at Anfield the kebab shop had a price for when the football was on about double the normal price.

Where about was the kebab shop? We had a quick look but pressed for time so settled for a hotdog and a pint which my bother In law covered. I fetched us kebabs nearer the end of the night fae some place called filling station expecting it to be roughly £20. £8 for 2 so couldn’t complain although the same shop sold bottles of water for £2.50. 

Just back from Morrisons and amongst the things that jumped out at me price wise was a fry bentos pie at £3.25 (used to be £1 did they not) who in their right mind would pay that 🤷‍♂️

Also Heinz tomato sauce at £4.25

Someone getting rich somewhere  

periodictabledancer
5 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

Glad to hear it. Remember nervously going to a mortgage advisor in 2012 when we bought our first house, worried they wouldn't offer us enough for the house we really wanted.

We needn't have worried, as they would have been quite happy to loan us almost twice what we were looking for, which would've been somewhere around 6-7x our joint income and cost us in excess of £2k per month! Mental...

She was  also seeing a lot of debt consolidation being refused  which is/was hardly surprising  - if borrowers are living beyond their means with (then ) ridiculously low interest rates how can they afford an even bigger mortgage ? She's also seen people having to come back for a new mortgage offer because they've not been getting the expected sale value or the lender hasn't agreed the expected  value  (this was before the current situation). 

periodictabledancer
3 minutes ago, theshed said:

Just back from Morrisons and amongst the things that jumped out at me price wise was a fry bentos pie at £3.25 (used to be £1 did they not) who in their right mind would pay that 🤷‍♂️

See my reference to Heinz earlier.

Tesco fell out with them over their outrageous price increases. 

henrysmithsgloves
22 minutes ago, theshed said:

Farmfoods fray bentos were £1.59 last week 🤔

11 minutes ago, henrysmithsgloves said:

Farmfoods fray bentos were £1.59 last week 🤔

Well Morrisons is double that so they are taking the piss 

The Mighty Thor
3 hours ago, BlueRiver said:

Not saying it isn't. Saying if it's a Europe-wide problem it's hard to blame a single party though. 

What steps would you like to see? Otherwise it is just moonhowling. Total whinging little kid nonsense. 

I'm blaming a government mate. They're meant to govern. They've meant to have been doing it for the last 13 years, during which our living standards have declined by around 20%

So my 'moonhowling' would include;

The government to get a grip on the energy producers, either directly via the sledgehammer of direct taxation or via their utterly toothless regulatory body. UK energy prices are considerably higher than the majority of European countries many of whom import more of their energy.

The government to get a grip on fuel prices, which are widely reported to be 10p -20p above what they should be with the current oil prices

These factors are 2 out of the 3 things that manufacturers are constantly claiming to be behind the 'inflationary' price increases we are seeing cycling through right now.

Maybe you have an alternative view and can counter with why it's definitely not the Tories fault?

The Mighty Thor
1 hour ago, theshed said:

How much is it in yoorup likesy 🤔

4 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Europe is 8% and the USA is 6%. Who cares we live here. As you say , the aye but brigade like to point elsewhere and have the cheek to slag the SNP.

Government could introduce a fuel and electricity price cap tomorrow, if it wanted.
After all, the big energy companies are all posting record profits.

That would reduce costs across the board at every stage of production, from farmers to distributors to retail, leading to lower prices for the end consumer.

But they won't do that. Because they are ideologically driven free market zealots.

The British public will continue to be bled dry.

Big oil greetin about the windfall tax and how they aren't going to invest anymore. Making absolute fortunes, the fecking cheek. To make away their licenses and nationalise the lot.

On 23/03/2023 at 22:57, Cade said:

Exactly the same as happens before every major crash.

Every Western economy is built on debt. Whether that be National, Corporate or Personal debt. 

Everybody is encouraged to borrow to the hilt and spend, spend, spend when interest rates are low, so the economy looks good.

Then rates go up and nobody can pay back the loans.

Happens every 10-15 years or so and we never seem to learn anything.

It's never repayable either as majority of money creation is borrowed into existence plus interest, wasn't it the repackaging of sub-prime debt that precipitated the run on banks in the 2008 "crash?

It leaves everyone in the same pool of total money trying to get enough to repay their debts, with the money never equalling money + interest. So that crunch is horrendous for the economy when the interest rates are ramped up. Seems like a system destined to fail, repeatedly. 

49 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Europe is 8% and the USA is 6%. Who cares we live here. As you say , the aye but brigade like to point elsewhere and have the cheek to slag the SNP.

I'm not trying to point elsewhere. I was asking what food inflation figures looked like elsewhere before heaping blame entirely on domestic causes and domestic figures. 

Just a shame you're all through the ****ing looking glass. 

Thank you for providing figures. 

1 hour ago, The Mighty Thor said:

I'm blaming a government mate. They're meant to govern. They've meant to have been doing it for the last 13 years, during which our living standards have declined by around 20%

So my 'moonhowling' would include;

The government to get a grip on the energy producers, either directly via the sledgehammer of direct taxation or via their utterly toothless regulatory body. UK energy prices are considerably higher than the majority of European countries many of whom import more of their energy.

The government to get a grip on fuel prices, which are widely reported to be 10p -20p above what they should be with the current oil prices

These factors are 2 out of the 3 things that manufacturers are constantly claiming to be behind the 'inflationary' price increases we are seeing cycling through right now.

Maybe you have an alternative view and can counter with why it's definitely not the Tories fault?

Atta boy. 

I've at no point set out to declare the Tories are blameless. I just don't seek to lay blame when it's unwarranted. 

If that's the state you get in when someone asks a question maybe you need to get off the Internet and touch some grass. 

The Mighty Thor
Just now, BlueRiver said:

Atta boy. 

I've at no point set out to declare the Tories are blameless. I just don't seek to lay blame when it's unwarranted. 

If that's the state you get in when someone asks a question maybe you need to get off the Internet and touch some grass. 

You quite readily seem to jump to defend them even when empirical evidence and basic fact would point you in the other direction.

Pointing out that the fact that we are being absolutely bent over on their watch is really not getting into a state. 

Thanks for the advice but a forum designed to debate and discuss is probably the best place for it. 

Just now, The Mighty Thor said:

You quite readily seem to jump to defend them even when empirical evidence and basic fact would point you in the other direction.

Pointing out that the fact that we are being absolutely bent over on their watch is really not getting into a state. 

Thanks for the advice but a forum designed to debate and discuss is probably the best place for it. 

Wasn't defending them. I asked if anyone knew the figures across Europe and you pished your pants with wibble nonsense. 

periodictabledancer
5 minutes ago, BlueRiver said:

Wasn't defending them. I asked if anyone knew the figures across Europe and you pished your pants with wibble nonsense. 

Why don't you do some research and make your point ? 

7 minutes ago, periodictabledancer said:

Why don't you do some research and make your point ? 

I posted figures further up and asked if anyone knew if they were up to date. 

I didn't really have a point beyond curiosity for how the rest of Europe is managing. 

Next time I'll remember the golden JKB rule which is to just aimlessly seethe over Tories. 

The Mighty Thor

I didn't really have a point beyond curiosity for how the rest of Europe is managing. 

Next time I'll remember the golden JKB rule which is to just aimlessly seethe over Tories. 

Aimlessly seethe 😂

periodictabledancer

Fair enough.

I refer you to my video, just posted, for context. 

Just now, The Mighty Thor said:

Aimlessly seethe 😂

Tories!!

:seething:

All I did was ask a question and you made out I was some kind of apologist. Then again it's all you ever really do.

I'll leave you fellows to your circle jerk. 

1 minute ago, periodictabledancer said:

Fair enough.

I refer you to my video, just posted, for context. 

Thank you. Giving it a watch just now. 

Wild that she's a bloody minister.

joondalupjambo
1 minute ago, Lovecraft said:

£1.70 for a tin of Heinz soup in Asda.

£1 ****ing 70.

WTF?

It is so that in a couple of weeks time they can discount them to £1.30 to make them look a bargain.  The fact they were only £1 about ten days ago is irrelevant to these bar stewards.  Profit at all cost.  No way is inflation causing such remarkable price increases.  You will probably find they have been stock piling the stuff as well and ensuring even more profit.

Bottom line is folk will not buy them at that price and as I say price drop incoming.  Just wait and see.

3 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

It is so that in a couple of weeks time they can discount them to £1.30 to make them look a bargain.  The fact they were only £1 about ten days ago is irrelevant to these bar stewards.  Profit at all cost.  No way is inflation causing such remarkable price increases.  You will probably find they have been stock piling the stuff as well and ensuring even more profit.

Bottom line is folk will not buy them at that price and as I say price drop incoming.  Just wait and see.

Heinz are the worst for gouging.

Nucky Thompson
20 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

Definitely. Every supermarket I go into and the Heinz soup shelf is always fully stocked.

Supermarket own brand is 50p a can 

Nobody is buying Heinz over priced product anymore

Even if they halved their prices, I wouldn't buy their stuff again

joondalupjambo
11 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Definitely. Every supermarket I go into and the Heinz soup shelf is always fully stocked.

I stock piled last autumn when they were four for three quid in Home Bargains.  Still expensive in relation to supermarket brands but at my age there are no pockets in a shroud😄

periodictabledancer
11 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I bought six cans of Asda own brand soup and was told it was restricted to four per purchase.

Similarly they said the same for all their own brand tinned veg. 

It's noticeable how much of the deaer stuff isn't being bought now. 

Heinz, Baxters etc can take a hike. 

JudyJudyJudy

We went to " The Dome " today. Hadn't been in years.  To be fair to them it was reasonably priced. 2 coffees and 2 scones ( with actually 2 scones each) and jam and cream came to £19  ..  Pleasant surprise in plush surroundings