Festive Fixtures - supporters return from 17/1 (updated )

Maroon Sailor

Central Belt 1874
3 minutes ago, Hmfc1965 said:

It would if we were confident of starting again then.

I don't see how we can be.

I would have thought this is the main point being discussed by the clubs, Spfl and Sky. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Pasquale for King

• GinRummy

• Fozzyonthefence

The Sun reporting we are in favour of an early break.

Should probably wait for a better source but that's utter bullshit if true.

1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

St Mirren say they can't field a team.

If they start with 7 and get a player sent off the match will be abandoned. 

Just like 86

Absolutely ludicrous decision by the SG. Would rather put the games back a few weeks as by then the clear evidence of the stupidity of the decision will be hard to ignore.

Surprised at the number on here that want to watch games in empty stadia. It was soul destroying before and will be again leaving aside the income it will cost the club.

20 minutes ago, GBJambo said:

There is no way the season will start again in 3 weeks. This circuit breaker will last at least until Feb/March.

Play the games 

This makes no sense.  It's not a ban on games.  The season isn't stopping for any reason than there's a league scheduled break.  There will be games going on whilst we're on a break.

5 minutes ago, Diego10 said:

This makes no sense.  It's not a ban on games.  The season isn't stopping for any reason than there's a league scheduled break.  There will be games going on whilst we're on a break.

I think you’re right in that there won’t be a ban on games,  just of fans but this new strain is just getting going.  We’ve already seen lots of fixtures in England being affected and Scotland will hit hard too over the coming weeks.    I think its more the risk of fixture chaos that will mean the authorities could well decide to play now, whilst we can…rather than delay fixtures IMO…  

11 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

Surprised at the number on here that want to watch games in empty stadia. It was soul destroying before and will be again leaving aside the income it will cost the club.

I'm sure nobody does.

But given this government's obsession about making everything 3 weeks when they doubtless plan to extend it, we should try and get through the season this time.

Given other fixtures there's limited options to extend the season  

Central Belt 1874
6 minutes ago, Diego10 said:

Players are not immune to getting covid. We can have the break early, then when we go to return to games, theres too many players who may have caught covid and therefore games will be postponed/cancelled. 

I'm vaccinated and I'm just getting over this omicron variant. Its been over 3 weeks now and not fully clear of it. 

Pasquale for King
33 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

I actually think they should just shut it down now until mid January then start again. Makes perfect sense. 

It does if the situation is better in mid January, can anyone guarantee this?

With all being considered I think they need to play the fixtures as you just don't know how long this omicron variant will last In the uk for, it could potentially go on for an entire year? It seems to me they are just making things harder for themselves and the clubs by trying to reschedule all the festive fixtures and cram them all into a single week in February, that's not good for anybody tbh, they need to play the fixtures as they are, without fans unfortunately.

2 minutes ago, Gmcjambo said:

I think you’re right in that there won’t be a ban on games,  just of fans but this new strain is just getting going.  We’ve already seen lots of fixtures in England being affected and Scotland will hit hard too over the coming weeks.    I think its more the risk of fixture chaos that will mean the authorities could well decide to play now, whilst we can…rather than delay fixtures IMO…  

Aye but the break being brought forward means there's a window to play at least 2 games of the 3 scheduled in the same time frame.  That's hardly going to cause fixture chaos even if we do end up having to play behind closed doors.

22 minutes ago, Gmcjambo said:

This is the biggest argument against it and I’d imagine SPFL and Sky will both want the games to continue.   The risk is too great that there won’t be more Covid impacts beyond the 3 weeks which could impact games being played and create a fixtures nightmare.   I reckon it will be a case of play the games whilst we can now and then use the winter break to see how it pans out.    

Indeed, if (and surely it's a big if) this variant is going to cause as much disruption as being suggested then play the games now. Get them in the bank. Get everyone up to 22 matches played and then use the break to assess and plan how we are (once again) going to reintroduce crowds. Unless we have a cast iron guarantee that this is 3 weeks and then crowds back in (regardless of the "data/science" at that point) then I simply don't see what bringing the break forward does apart from cause more scheduling headaches.

Also from a purely Hearts point of view it's the worst two sides in the league at home next. Get them played!

16 minutes ago, Diego10 said:

Yip.

A full card of Championship, League 1 and League 2 games scheduled for Jan 2, Jan 8, Jan 15.

2 minutes ago, Diego10 said:

Aye but the break being brought forward means there's a window to play at least 2 games of the 3 scheduled in the same time frame.  That's hardly going to cause fixture chaos even if we do end up having to play behind closed doors.

If most clubs are unaffected now and we bring the break forward,  we’re taking the risk that this new strain hits the squads when we were meant to restart.   Which will mean we’ve scored a fixtures list own goal,  especially if crowds aren’t allowed back in for a while in any case.  That’s the risk anyhow and the balance of risk clear…play the games now.  It does look like most clubs are supporting stopping now so it may well happen.  

7 minutes ago, Central Belt 1874 said:

Players are not immune to getting covid. We can have the break early, then when we go to return to games, theres too many players who may have caught covid and therefore games will be postponed/cancelled. 

I'm vaccinated and I'm just getting over this omicron variant. Its been over 3 weeks now and not fully clear of it. 

No, and the leagues have already lost/are losing games now so I get that point - however players seem more likely to get it now or over the next few weeks than after that period the way the things are going.

The three weeks gives a chance to see where we are and at least buys a shot at getting them played in front of crowds which is, let's be honest, the whole point of football

1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

So St Mirren ask for their game with Celtic to be called off, Hibs now back Celtic by also asking for the winter break to be brought forward. What are Dundee saying 🤔🤷🏾‍♂️🤦🏽?!?!

Sitting on the fence until 3 min past five ?🙈

SectionDJambo

Going against most of the opinions so far, but I think it would make sense to have the break now. It shouldn’t be that difficult for the SPFL to fit in 3 fixtures for each club between now and the end of the season.
Sure, Celtic and Hibs are probably happy to give their players an early break but that really shouldn’t blind us to the benefits it will give us too.
Play Scottish cup ties to a finish instead of any replays. If Rangers and Celtic have congested periods due to Europe, they should have the squads to deal with it, with the resources they have.

Much is being said about the benefit to other clubs by having the break now, but we would also benefit. We have players out injured and at least one carrying a less serious but troublesome injury. We would also have any additional players recruited available when we start up again.

Some are talking about the money Hibs will lose from the Derby being played with no crowd. We’ve got 2 home matches that we will lose money on, if our hospitality loses all the business.  
Let’s not spite ourselves to laugh at others losing money. A break now would at least provide the chance of us all being able to attend these 3 games soon enough, and Hearts not losing a bundle of cash as well.

Can’t actually believe I’m seeing hearts fans in favour of games with effectively no fans…happy to see 3500 hearts fans miss out on the trip to see us win at Easter road - presumedly you 1.) don’t follow the team home & away so will not feel the impact this has on your life 2.) don’t have an Easter road ticket so again won’t feel the impact of this. 

Get a grip people, football without fans is awful!

47 minutes ago, Homme said:

The Sun reporting we are in favour of an early break.

Should probably wait for a better source but that's utter bullshit if true.

I think every club will be in favour of it apart from maybe Rangers

We have to explore every option so fans can be there, that’s the point of football, I/we have missed too many games, not the same watching on a laptop! 

4 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

I think every club will be in favour of it apart from maybe Rangers

Rangers and Ross County are against it apparently 

Just now, DH1986 said:

Rangers and Ross County are against it apparently 

Is that all that's needed to go against it or is it a case of we change the voting procedure until Celtic are happy with the result 

2 minutes ago, Diego10 said:

The three weeks gives a chance to see where we are and at least buys a shot at getting them played in front of crowds which is, let's be honest, the whole point of football

I certainly agree that fans in the stadium is what we all want but for me it's a case of 'once bitten' and all that. I can't think of a single restriction that has lifted at the first time of asking. Only my opinion but I suspect by the time this wave is done having 3 rounds of matches played behind closed doors over the festive season will end up being one of the easier situations that our clubs have to navigate through. 

1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

So St Mirren ask for their game with Celtic to be called off, Hibs now back Celtic by also asking for the winter break to be brought forward. What are Dundee saying 🤔🤷🏾‍♂️🤦🏽?!?!

Nothing, they're sending an email.  Might get there might not.

Francis Albert
11 minutes ago, HMFCforever said:

Can’t actually believe I’m seeing hearts fans in favour of games with effectively no fans…happy to see 3500 hearts fans miss out on the trip to see us win at Easter road - presumedly you 1.) don’t follow the team home & away so will not feel the impact this has on your life 2.) don’t have an Easter road ticket so again won’t feel the impact of this. 

If we win at an empty Easter Road a lot more than 3500 Hearts fans will be very very happy.

From a Sevco site-

“Sporting integrity” was a term coined in 2008 by Celtic as they attempted to block any movement of league fixtures when Rangers reached the Uefa final and had a backlog of postponed fixtures to play. 

Today’s club statement claimed “The game owes it to supporters to explore all opportunities to maximise the prospect of all supporters being able to attend matches and support the game they love”. They didn’t hold such desires to explore any opportunities in March 2020. 

They have no integrity. They have no shame. They’ll attempt to utilise any possibilities to give themselves an advantage. Attempts recently include lies about nonexist end of season tours, ex players funerals and world pandemics. 

Let’s stop this charade and call it what it is. Did they attempt to not play the delayed 2020 Scottish Cup final against Hearts in an empty stadium? We played for months in empty stadiums yet all of a sudden the team that couldn’t adjust to zero crowds have a very important fixture to play with a squad with no recognised centre forward and everyone has to move fixtures that previously due to “sporting integrity” couldn’t be moved.

Maroon Sailor
16 minutes ago, HMFCforever said:

No football is even worse

If there was a guarantee it will start up in 3 weeks then that's perfect.

Easier to keep things shut to see how things pan out.

If it keeps drifting with no set in stone date to open up it will drive fans up the wall

Edited by Maroon Sailor

15 minutes ago, HMFCforever said:

So because a huge minority of Hearts fans would maybe see us win at ER that's OK?

Stephen Glass highlighted how crazy the rules are " if it's so important to to reduce crowds in 5 days then why is it not important tomorrow night.

Probably been mentioned already in the thread but media saying that the final call sits with the SPFL board. Currently on that board are Hibs, Ross Co, Rangers, Hamilton, Dunfermline and Forfar (who had 473 at their last home game).

Sub4TiddlerMurray
2 hours ago, Worthing Jambo said:

Is there that much sectarianism at Motherwell?

The other issues you mention are still the minority (erse cheeks excluded!) and probably societal anyway.

I still think that, on the whole, football is a great help to a lot of people.

Wasn’t that the reason that the likes of Hearts and Hibs were located where they are in the city?

The late 19th century social engineers identified the benefits back then.

Good question. How much is unacceptable and how much is ok?

On the broader point, like a lot of people, I really enjoy supporting Hearts. It is the glue that brings my family together to regularly meet up at matches. I will miss the matches and the innocuous football chat that flows easily between us. But I, and my family, will adapt and watch online. No biggie.

As I said, football is only a game. There are many games that occupy a disproportionate amount of time in the lives of grown men and women. Having that as an outlet is clearly important to many people. Being denied that outlet may well have a negative emotional affect in the short term. But let's not try to suggest that football has a unique emotional balancing quality that maintains the mental health of the nation, that somehow the Scottish Government is cruelly denying a needy population. That's just over-playing the cost of the three week restrictions.

10 hours ago, Locky said:

Really tend to keep my mouth shut on public forums about Covid and stuff, but I'm seriously ****ed off with this. I toed the line and swallowed my pride during both the first and second lockdowns. In fact, I was sort of in agreement with them. But this new wave of decisions has just really ground me down. I've done almost everything I've been asked to do for the best part of 2 years, I'm double vaccinated, and while I don't read too much into the news, I thought it was quite widely accepted that this new variant is considerably weaker than the original.

My reasons for feeling like this are entirely selfish but I don't care. We're all going to have our own views on restrictions. Personally, Christmas is a shite time for me, and this year even more so. Many won't get it, but I was so excited for the festive double header at Tynie and the derby at ER. It was what was getting me through a challenging time of year. Only decent outcome of this is the matches get replayed at a later date with fans, but doesn't change the fact I'm going to spend the Christmas period cooked up at home without an escape.

****ing shite.

Hang in bud 

Pasquale for King
58 minutes ago, Sigma One said:

Nothing, they're sending an email.  Might get there might not.

😂👍🏽

Personally, if (big if) the SG can be trusted to stick to 3 weeks, then I’m in favour of bringing the winter break forward. I’d 100% rather go to the games. It is tough to take that the festive games are the ones being hit, they’re the ones most folk really look forward to. Sick of this, aren’t we all I guess. 

So far hospitalisation are still steady. If that stays the same then those in charge will really struggle to justify continuing with restrictions. 

if we end up in perma ‘no-fans’ like before then I’ll look back and say I wish we had just played the games to at least have got a bit of enjoyment out of them. Who knows. 

Sturgeon just doesn't seem to understand that exposure to this variant while fully vaccinated as 95% are here is a sniffle and dry cough for 48 hours if at all. Or more likely she does get it and is playing politics and making folks festive period shit on purpose to make herself look more assertive than BJ. I want to go to the games and I don't want her telling me what to do when I know I am protected from any serious illness by three jabs. If am worried about it I'll wear a mask in the stand. We are not her children to be scolded and sent to bed without supper. 

16 minutes ago, andydog said:

Personally, if (big if) the SG can be trusted to stick to 3 weeks, then I’m in favour of bringing the winter break forward. I’d 100% rather go to the games. It is tough to take that the festive games are the ones being hit, they’re the ones most folk really look forward to. Sick of this, aren’t we all I guess. 

So far hospitalisation are still steady. If that stays the same then those in charge will really struggle to justify continuing with restrictions. 

if we end up in perma ‘no-fans’ like before then I’ll look back and say I wish we had just played the games to at least have got a bit of enjoyment out of them. Who knows. 

Remember their "3 Week Circuit Breaker" last year?  We won't see another game in the flesh this season with Krankie and her tinpot shortcake government in charge.

My concern is there seems to be a flippant disregard for the players. A lot of the players could end up with covid and play or be forced back early to play. This is the forgetten narrative in the push to blame the scottish goverment for covid restrictions that are happening Europe wide. Hearts as a club have been quite lucky to have avoided outbreaks. Lets keep it that way. 

Is the winter break not in place because that’s when a lot of games were getting postponed due to bad weather?  So if we bring the break forward what’s to say we will even be able to play the games?  I’d say if games can be played then get them played now.  

30 minutes ago, Shanks said:

Is the winter break not in place because that’s when a lot of games were getting postponed due to bad weather?  So if we bring the break forward what’s to say we will even be able to play the games?  I’d say if games can be played then get them played now.  

Correct.  Bringing the winter break forward makes it just a break.  The period when the winter break was due to cover is still there as is winter.

Sturgeon is just panicking.

It’s a no from me. Play the games. 

these restrictions won’t be lifted in 3 weeks will be in place for at least 8 or 9 imo we will be playing the games behind closed doors anyway

2 minutes ago, James1874f said:

It’s a no from me. Play the games. 

these restrictions won’t be lifted in 3 weeks will be in place for at least 8 or 9 imo we will be playing the games behind closed doors anyway

:spoton:

People need to wake up and smell the coffee around them.

1 hour ago, gregzy2k7 said:

Surprised that us football fans from all over the country are accepting this from the Gov't and not down at Bute House protesting! So I've had my 2 jabs plus booster but unless I'm very very lucky  and able to gain entry as a season ticket holder in a draw I won't be able to attend the next 2 home games and I'm guessing that may end up longer? People have flown in from all over the world to see family and get a chance to see their teams in action!, how could we have 5000 in Tynecastle safely at the beginning of the season and now only 500!  Can we start a petition to get this changed especially when you consider what is allowed in other areas! 

1 minute ago, Malco said:

Surprised that us football fans from all over the country are accepting this from the Gov't and not down at Bute House protesting! So I've had my 2 jabs plus booster but unless I'm very very lucky  and able to gain entry as a season ticket holder in a draw I won't be able to attend the next 2 home games and I'm guessing that may end up longer? People have flown in from all over the world to see family and get a chance to see their teams in action!, how could we have 5000 in Tynecastle safely at the beginning of the season and now only 500!  Can we start a petition to get this changed especially when you consider what is allowed in other areas! 

Jeez! They are doing not doing because they want to!!! The NHS are at breaking point. A&E is not coping - no staff.   Brexit and staff either off sick or self isolating combined with an increase in illness (mainly the non vaccinated - have a go at them if you must have a go at anyone) Staff are self-isolating in their droves. The first rule of government is the safety of its people not keeping football grounds open. This is the type of selfish comment that gives football such a bad name. 'I'm all right Jack'. You couldn't make it up!

Forever Hearts
24 minutes ago, Independence said:

Jeez! They are doing not doing because they want to!!! The NHS are at breaking point. A&E is not coping - no staff.   Brexit and staff either off sick or self isolating combined with an increase in illness (mainly the non vaccinated - have a go at them if you must have a go at anyone) Staff are self-isolating in their droves. The first rule of government is the safety of its people not keeping football grounds open. This is the type of selfish comment that gives football such a bad name. 'I'm all right Jack'. You couldn't make it up!

There's absolutely no need for the 10 days isolation if you've had jabs and the booster. I know you're an SNP cheerleader but it's a load of over the top nonsense. 

Oh, and the NHS is not at breaking point, not even close. 

41 minutes ago, Independence said:

Could you provide the proof that the NHS is at breaking point? 

Edited by Des Lynam

2 hours ago, gregzy2k7 said:

Sorry but you don’t know this. 

It might be 3 weeks, it might be 9. It might even be 5. 

Experts are getting it wrong so I don’t see the point in accepting the worst case guess as truth.

• davemclaren changed the title to Festive Fixtures - supporters return from 17/1 (updated )
  • JKBMod 3 locked this topic