Festive Fixtures - supporters return from 17/1 (updated )

Maroon Sailor

1 minute ago, Forever Hearts said:

And if we get games postponed due to the weather in February/March? 

Indeed. There will be instances of clubs playing 3 times per week.

The suggestion to play the boxing Day card is sensible along with squeezing another round before the Scottish Cup. That will help.

Hibs will likely play the Monday and Thursday that week with others playing Tue/Wed and the cup at the weekend.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Pasquale for King

• GinRummy

• Fozzyonthefence

Sub4TiddlerMurray
4 hours ago, Worthing Jambo said:

I never suggested it was the whole nation, but certainly a sizeable number.

Just like golf, snooker, bowls, triathlons and any other pastime that helps folk get through the day.

I have been looking forward to a rare double header of home games when I’m up for Christmas and especially in hospitality on Boxing Day!

Aye, I was more railing against the Motherwell chairman's comments.

To be fair, I'd be depressed at the thought of missing Boxing Day hospitality 😁👍 

1 minute ago, Boab said:

They already announced that at the start of the competition. From Round 4 onwards there will be no replays, all games played to a conclusion on the day.

Oh cheers Boab, i must have missed that but it makes sense i guess.

1 minute ago, JimmyCant said:

Not every decision requires 11/1. Non constitutional and non reconstruction votes I believe can be carried 8-4

It might just be a consultation. It seems this is an SPFL Board power to decide.

22 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Curtailing games for four weeks? I remember them saying three weeks to flatten the curve and two jabs to get back to normal. The likelihood that crowds will be back before the end of Jan is highly unlikely IMHO.

Flatten the curve was before Omicron showed up. What do we do? Let it rip through the population or have a break and allow it to subside and give another month to allow boosters?

We are breaking anyway and its 500 fans for the next 3 games, what difference will it make? Would rather try something than nothing.

3 minutes ago, Boab said:

They already announced that at the start of the competition. From Round 4 onwards there will be no replays, all games played to a conclusion on the day.

Missed that one...good to know.

Sub4TiddlerMurray
2 hours ago, John Findlay said:

Blackford gives the game away in his tweet. Bring the winter shutdown forward to now, PERHARPS EXTEND IT FOR A SHORT WHILE. Its his and by default the Scottish government's definition of a short while. Going on the Scottish government's previous in all this. I am certain there will be no full crowds in  SPL stadium during the month of January.

Your cheap political point scoring belongs in the Shed not here. 

If she continues this beyond 3 weeks it will be catastrophic for the game. Who is going to renew in the summer knowing she can pull the plug at any moment when another variant appears? Maybe your cheek fans will it being a religion to them but that's it.

3 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

And if we take this break now and football shuts down or games get called off in January when the virus peaks? When do we play the outstanding fixtures? 

There's no guarantee the festive games would go ahead, for the same reasons.

As for peaking late January, that's on current trends, which the new measures are meant to alleviate.  If the measures aren't going to make any difference why would you bother.

It also allows time to see if the hospital numbers are going to rise exponentially or if it is a genuinely weaker strain.  If it's the former, we've got bigger issues than crowds at football and if it's the latter, great.

8 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Not every decision requires 11/1. Non constitutional and non reconstruction votes I believe can be carried 8-4

There are 3 options, bet it ends 4-4-4.

Was wondering why would after boxing day even be an option? :rofl:

Then I noticed Hibs celtic and dundee are all away on boxing day so wont lose any money. Makes perfect sense then. 

4 minutes ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

Your cheap political point scoring belongs in the Shed not here. 

Nothing to do with cheap pitiful pounr scoring. What I quoted is what Blackford tweeted which was posted earlier in this thread. FYI I am a supporter of Scottish independence, at the same time I don't trust politicians of any political party, as far as I could throw them. It's the cynic in me.

Clubs voting. 

It really is easy money for humble administrator Doncaster.  Can only assume there will be subsequent issues that lead from this that that ***** wants no responsibility for.

Post Boxing day is going to be what happens. It's what the SPFL want. And they have ultimate decision making power. Regardless of vote.

mickycameron98
7 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Post Boxing day is going to be what happens. It's what the SPFL want. And they have ultimate decision making power. Regardless of vote.

Correct. 100% it will be this option

I'm actually expecting the SPFL to push on with BCD games and leave the break where it is. Reason given will be concerns about fitting in fixtures. Real reason will be to insure TV partners are kept happy. 

Just now, Snorri1 said:

I'm actually expecting the SPFL to push on with BCD games and leave the break where it is. Reason given will be concerns about fitting in fixtures. Real reason will be to insure TV partners are kept happy. 

Hopefully.

20 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

If she continues this beyond 3 weeks it will be catastrophic for the game. Who is going to renew in the summer knowing she can pull the plug at any moment when another variant appears? Maybe your cheek fans will it being a religion to them but that's it.

Remember her "3 Week Circuit Breaker"?  She has previous.

Think we might be asked to play out the season without crowds.

Worthing Jambo
30 minutes ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

Aye, I was more railing against the Motherwell chairman's comments.

To be fair, I'd be depressed at the thought of missing Boxing Day hospitality 😁👍 

I am😟

5 minutes ago, Snorri1 said:

If that was the case they wouldn't bother offering a vote which they already know will be backed by the majority of teams. Would just make them look like fools if they went against 80% of teams anyway.

Sub4TiddlerMurray
19 minutes ago, John Findlay said:

Nothing to do with cheap pitiful pounr scoring. What I quoted is what Blackford tweeted which was posted earlier in this thread. FYI I am a supporter of Scottish independence, at the same time I don't trust politicians of any political party, as far as I could throw them. It's the cynic in me.

Fair do's

1 hour ago, Shanks said:

Can understand our clubs position on this, whats worst case scenario if we being forward winter break?  League gets called and we get given 3rd place. 

This is why I'm surprised shellick want the break brought forward.... I would have thought they would want to play as many games as possible to get their noses ahead of rangers - so that they can call the league and get a second asterisk for their shirts!

Anyone know what Hearts' stance on the whole situation is? Tried digging up an answer but can't find it in amongst the political bickering (thought we were better than this at any rate...)

Pasquale for King
34 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

It would be nice if the article pointed it out. 
Lets hope Dundee send it in properly this time. 

Forever Hearts
Just now, Halliphax said:

Anyone know what Hearts' stance on the whole situation is? Tried digging up an answer but can't find it in amongst the political bickering (thought we were better than this at any rate...)

Hearts released a statement saying they want the shutdown brought forward.  

3 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

If that was the case they wouldn't bother offering a vote which they already know will be backed by the majority of teams. Would just make them look like fools if they went against 80% of teams anyway.

That's fair ... perhaps i'm being too cynical. Still wouldn't be surprised to see the vote pass and then the league say their hands were tied or something. Personally i'm open to either solution to be honest.

1 minute ago, Forever Hearts said:

Hearts released a statement saying they want the shutdown brought forward.  

Thanks mate - glad we're (the club) not trying to grandstand or anything.

Anything to strain Dundee's finances is fine with me.

Edited by Halliphax

They’ve essentially split the ‘move the break forward’ vote by giving two options.  It just confused the situation and is typical scottish football.

Pasquale for King

So the SPFL want the clubs to vote to bring the break forward after the Boxing Day games, instead of leaving it or starting the break before Sunday. 
Might just be the best idea for us from the point of view of Devlin’s suspension and injuries to Kingsley/Beni and Boyce. 

26 minutes ago, Shanks said:

Was wondering why would after boxing day even be an option? :rofl:

Then I noticed Hibs celtic and dundee are all away on boxing day so wont lose any money. Makes perfect sense then. 

Celtic and Hibs also have home games in the respective New Year derbies. Make no mistake, this is feck all to do with sporting integrity, it's all about the money. Getting pretty annoyed at Hearts' stance now.

Pasquale for King
Just now, jr ewing said:

Carry on May/June. 

You can’t play games on May 28th as it’s the CL final, Scotland then have games in June. 
Doncaster said they want clubs to play this weekend then bring the break forward as there’s no dates to squeeze games into. 

Just now, JWL said:

Celtic and Hibs also have home games in the respective New Year derbies. Make no mistake, this is feck all to do with sporting integrity, it's all about the money. Getting pretty annoyed at Hearts' stance now.

Always has been, always will. 

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

You can’t play games on May 28th as it’s the CL final, Scotland then have games in June. 
Doncaster said they want clubs to play this weekend then bring the break forward as there’s no dates to squeeze games into. 

Exceptional circumstances, change the dates. 

Bazzas right boot
32 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

Clubs voting. 

It really is easy money for humble administrator Doncaster.  Can only assume there will be subsequent issues that lead from this that that ***** wants no responsibility for.

***** gets paid £400k a year to teams folk, get coffee and send emails across then present the information. 

Zero accountability - £400k a year. 

****ing joker. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

1 minute ago, jr ewing said:

Always has been, always will. 

I know, I was stating the obvious there. We played a whole season BCD, another few games isn't going to hurt that much with some sort of compensation. Play the 3 games and see where we are in late January. If we're still in the same situation, then at least we have 3 less fixtures to accommodate.

1 minute ago, JWL said:

I know, I was stating the obvious there. We played a whole season BCD, another few games isn't going to hurt that much with some sort of compensation. Play the 3 games and see where we are in late January. If we're still in the same situation, then at least we have 3 less fixtures to accommodate.

No more Hearts TV please 🙏 

1 minute ago, jr ewing said:

No more Hearts TV please 🙏 

At least this time we can go to the pub to watch the games....................for the moment anyway.

Bazzas right boot

Depending on results tonight, we could send Ross County bottom on boxing day ( or keep them there) 

Imagine the leagues then got suspended. 

Medicine being taken. 

:omfg:

Every cloud, n all. 

14 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

***** gets paid £400k a year to teams folk, get coffee and send emails across then present the information. 

Zero accountability - £400k a year. 

****ing joker. 

Despite the self interest of the curtailed season that I think everybody could see, the ***** has changed or attempted to change nothing. Self interest and impoverishment  keeps clubs weak and that suits that *****. Collective alignment would bring potentially collective  action, would mean removing the *****.

Edited by Riccarton3

Fozzyonthefence
13 minutes ago, JWL said:

At least this time we can go to the pub to watch the games....................for the moment anyway.

Ironically which is more likely to spread Covid than watching it at Tynie. 

avhudtheteeshirt

Just heard on the news that the SPFL are holding a vote if teams want to bring forward the Winter break cancelling Boxing Day matches and New Year games!

They have to have their votes in by 17:00 tonight.

Have they told Dundee to make sure their vote is in????

3 hours ago, GinRummy said:

It’s almost like we’ve learnt nothing. Play the games while you can and take what income you can. Whether that’s just PPV or not. 

If we play the next two games there’s no incremental income for us but a lot of incremental costs. 

Just now, soonbe110 said:

If we play the next two games there’s no incremental income for us but a lot of incremental costs. 

Ppv is income. The costs of stewarding, policing etc could be next to nothing of they played behind closed doors rather than in front of 500.

This will all be fine if we start playing in front of fans in 3 weeks so time will tell.

• davemclaren changed the title to Festive Fixtures - supporters return from 17/1 (updated )
  • JKBMod 3 locked this topic