Festive Fixtures - supporters return from 17/1 (updated )

Maroon Sailor

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Pasquale for King

• GinRummy

• Fozzyonthefence

Pasquale for King

Only a matter of time before we have more games affected too. 
Why we are playing Ross County on Boxing Day is unbelievable. Why not just put clubs in 3 groups of 4, RC/AB/DU/Dundee, Us/Hibs/St J/Livi and the other 4, let them all play each other over the week where three games are played to keep travel down at this time of year and this point in history. 

Just now, Pasquale for King said:

Why we are playing Ross County on Boxing Day is unbelievable. Why not just put clubs in 3 groups of 4, RC/AB/DU/Dundee, Us/Hibs/St J/Livi and the other 4, let them all play each other over the week where three games are played to keep travel down at this time of year and this point in history. 

Far far too sensible a suggest that kind of thinking will never catch on in Scottish football 

Percival King
3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Blame the computer which decides all the fixtures. The same one which manages to have Celtic v The Rangers at new year every year but always keeps them apart for title deciders.

17 minutes ago, Percival King said:

Blame the computer which decides all the fixtures. The same one which manages to have Celtic v The Rangers at new year every year but always keeps them apart for title deciders.

All the derbies are at New Year.

31 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Very good post

The Christmas New Year draw, really interesting.

An 18 Team SPL would make things a whole lot easier

Edited by A.JAMBO

It seems to have been done much more sensibly in the old days. Edinburgh derby on the New Year’s day then Edinburgh vs. Fife vs. Edinburgh the day after.

I'd like to see two clubs bold enough to switch a game to Christmas Day. Curious as to what ko time they'd go for and how well attended it would be. Not sure how I'd feel about Hearts at home or if I'd make it or not. Rarely attend away games these days so that wouldn't have much of an impact on me.

Just curious.

I was only 3yo when the last full fixture list on the 25th was played in 1971. I do, though, remember Clydebank playing St. Mirren in 1976. A 2-2 draw in front of a 10k full house, apparently. There was also a 2nd Division game that day that finished 0-0.

Edited by martoon

SectionDJambo
1 minute ago, martoon said:

It seems to have been done much more sensibly in the old days. Edinburgh derby on the New Year’s day then Edinburgh vs. Fife vs. Edinburgh the day after.

I'd like to see two clubs bold enough to switch a game to Christmas Day. Curious as to what ko time they'd go for and how well attended it would be. Not sure how I'd feel about Hearts at home or if I'd make it or not. Rarely attend games these days so that wouldn't have much of an impact on me.

Just curious.

I was only 3yo when the last full fixture list on the 25th was played in 1971. I do, though, remember Clydebank playing St. Mirren in 1976. A 2-2 draw in front of a 10k full house, apparently. There was also a 2nd Division game that day that finished 0-0.

No danger Hearts would get a big crowd on Christmas Day. 

Last Christmas Day fixture I remember was at Parkhead back in the early 70s.

Boxing Day was always a traditional English day for football, generally I think with local teams.  The return fixtures being next up. It was never, from my recollection, a traditional fixture day in Scotland.

It does seem crazy to make these fixtures involve long travel.

Pasquale for King
42 minutes ago, Percival King said:

I’m sure they outed themselves when we were challenging our demotion and admitted they send the dates and teams to a guy in Florida who makes them up. 

Pasquale for King
49 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

Far far too sensible a suggest that kind of thinking will never catch on in Scottish football 

It’s just shows how simple it is to change things, something that the people running our game who are paid handsomely can’t come up with. 

5 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

Boxing Day was always a traditional English day for football, generally I think with local teams.  The return fixtures being next up. It was never, from my recollection, a traditional fixture day in Scotland.

There was always a midweek fixture for the SPL in January . We always played Aberdeen ! Totally baffled me 

1 minute ago, SectionDJambo said:

It does. 

It wouldn't be difficult to keep games over the festive period as local as possible. No matter who's making up the 12.

Aberdeen, Ross, St. Johnstone, Dundee, Dundee United, ICT...

Hearts, Hibs, Livi, Dunfermline...

Celtic, Rangers, St. Mirren, Motherwell, Killie, Hamilton...

They should just save the derby fixtures for Boxing Day and play at the other sides ground on New Year’s Day or the 2nd Jan. Double old firm wankfest for sky and less travelling for fans. 

Edited by GinRummy

Maroon Sailor
13 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

The National Leagues in England still have local derbies / close as they can get the two teams on Boxing Day with the reverse fixtures at New Year

Maroon Sailor

Christmas Eve 1977 I was up at Arbroath dreaming of a White Christmas.

Got a dream scoreline instead

Arbroath 0-7 Hearts

I don't think they play football on Christmas Eve now either, even if it fell on a Saturday.

Malinga the Swinga

Barely any Scottish games affected by Covid last weekend. No reason for that to be different this round if games, especially as all clubs should be following updated guidelines.

English clubs can do what they want. Perhaps they should persuade their players to get vaccine before starting their complaining 

7 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Arbroath 0-7 Hearts

I don't think they play football on Christmas Eve now either, even if it fell on a Saturday.

Last time was 10 years ago. Hearts 2 Motherwell 0.

It is rare, though. Wouldn't be surprised to learn we didn't have one between 1977 and 2011. 

SectionDJambo
15 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Arbroath 0-7 Hearts

A festive afternoon. Snowing a bit too. 

2 hat tricks meant a case of sponsor's whisky each for Willie Gibson and Drew Busby. 

In true Hearts style, when we went back on the last day of the season, needing a win to be sure of promotion, we were kept on edge until the final whistle with a 1-0 win.

34 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

They should just save the derby fixtures for Boxing Day and play at the other sides ground on New Year’s Day or the 2nd Jan. Double old firm wankfest for sky and less travelling for fans. 

Bit like the rugby.

19 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Looks like the EPL clubs have been told to crack on

20211220_161031.jpg

From the sounds of that article it seems they’ve chosen that themselves.

I think the majority are trying to hopefully push for the winter break. As has been mentioned above it’s not affected our game yet so fingers crossed we’ll be fine.

5 minutes ago, sirwalter said:

Bit like the rugby.

Never realised they done that in rugby but been suggested on here before. An obviously good idea. Shit transport options on Boxing Day.

Edited by GinRummy

Maroon Sailor
1 minute ago, Mr Rabbit said:

From the sounds of that article it seems they’ve chosen that themselves.

I think the majority are trying to hopefully push for the winter break. As has been mentioned above it’s not affected our game yet so fingers crossed we’ll be fine.

The last paragraph is telling

No doubt TV subscription channels will have had some say in it

4 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Never realised they done that in rugby but been suggested on here before. An obviously good idea. Shit transport options on Boxing Day.

The Supporters Clubs should get together with the Club, try to sort out buses for the Festive matches that are hard to attend. 

15 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

The last paragraph is telling

No doubt TV subscription channels will have had some say in it

Amazon have a lot of games over Xmas as well. 

Bazzas right boot
42 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Barely any Scottish games affected by Covid last weekend. No reason for that to be different this round if games, especially as all clubs should be following updated guidelines.

English clubs can do what they want. Perhaps they should persuade their players to get vaccine before starting their complaining 

No reason fot that to be different this time... 

Correct, it's not like a virus spreads. 

1 hour ago, martoon said:

I'd like to see two clubs bold enough to switch a game to Christmas Day. Curious as to what ko time they'd go for and how well attended it would be. Not sure how I'd feel about Hearts at home or if I'd make it or not. Rarely attend away games these days so that wouldn't have much of an impact on me.

Just curious.

I suspect Christmas day fixtures were consigned to the bin 50 years ago for a reason

Malinga the Swinga
7 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

No reason fot that to be different this time... 

Correct, it's not like a virus spreads. 

Not if you follow the strict guidelines.

3 minutes ago, Hesh said:

I suspect Christmas day fixtures were consigned to the bin 50 years ago for a reason

Aye. 

Same as moon landings.

20 minutes ago, A.JAMBO said:

The Supporters Clubs should get together with the Club, try to sort out buses for the Festive matches that are hard to attend. 

Good idea. 

3 minutes ago, Hesh said:

The cost of Policing was so high games started getting moved (double time for holidays).  I think there was only 25,000 when we played at Parkhead on Christmas Day 1971 so that was maybe another factor. Occasional games can get good gates if it grabs fans' interest though.

Bazzas right boot
11 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Not if you follow the strict guidelines.

Less Likley, but other than living alone and staying and having no contact with kids, family etc nothing is 100%. 

10 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

:random:

Meaning I don't think they'll return either. 

If they ever happened at all. 🤪

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, martoon said:

Meaning I don't think they'll return either. 

If they ever happened at all. 🤪

Ahh. 

Xmas games definitely happened 😜

1 minute ago, Smith's right boot said:

Ahh. 

Xmas games definitely happened 😜

😄

42 minutes ago, Hesh said:

Christmas only became a public holiday in Scotland in 1958. Knox wasn’t very keen on it but we eventually got on board. 

I enjoy Boxing Day fixtures ( gets you out the house ) but the furthest I’ve ever travelled is Kilmarnock. 

Malinga the Swinga

According to BBC article, 94% of players in Germany are double vaccinated. Why are our, and I mean UK based, players so different? Spanish players also way ahead in vaccination stakes.

The lack of education, particularly in lower leagues of footballers is something to behold.

43 minutes ago, JTJ said:

The cost of Policing was so high games started getting moved (double time for holidays).  I think there was only 25,000 when we played at Parkhead on Christmas Day 1971 so that was maybe another factor. Occasional games can get good gates if it grabs fans' interest though.

Christmas day wasn't a holiday in Scotland when I was born 

Doctor FinnBarr
3 hours ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

I’d say 70% will be off 

Did you come to that figure without asking anyone on here?

22 minutes ago, XB52 said:

Christmas day wasn't a holiday in Scotland when I was born 

Is it a holiday though, i work on Christmas day every year

26 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Christmas only became a public holiday in Scotland in 1958. Knox wasn’t very keen on it but we eventually got on board. 

I enjoy Boxing Day fixtures ( gets you out the house ) but the furthest I’ve ever travelled is Kilmarnock. 

Agreed 

Fozzyonthefence
26 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

According to BBC article, 94% of players in Germany are double vaccinated. Why are our, and I mean UK based, players so different? Spanish players also way ahead in vaccination stakes.

The lack of education, particularly in lower leagues of footballers is something to behold.

Because they’re ignorant, arrogant, self entitled, thick *****!  Not all of them of course. 

Forever Hearts
16 minutes ago, A.JAMBO said:

Is it a holiday though, i work on Christmas day every year

It's a public holiday in Scotland, so is Boxing Day.

9 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

It's a public holiday in Scotland, so is Boxing Day.

Ah i see. I read above it is a Public Holiday since the 50's. I take Boxing day off right enough, class that as a holiday. Lived overseas for so long i just fell into the routine of working on Christmas day, I' m going to join in this year, will now be off on  Christmas day as it is a public Holiday ...

Yehaw

Edited by A.JAMBO

Now the Scottish Government has received funds from the UK government, I can see us moving to lockdown again after Xmas and the Ross Co, St j and hobos games being cancelled. I'd prefer if we just got on with things 😪

• davemclaren changed the title to Festive Fixtures - supporters return from 17/1 (updated )
  • JKBMod 3 locked this topic