Festive Fixtures - supporters return from 17/1 (updated )

Maroon Sailor

Forever Hearts
2 minutes ago, Boab said:

It's politicians' jobs to paint worst case scenarios. In this instance, I can understand it to be honest.

Games will be back to normal late January, I'm quite confident of that.

They really won't. The virus is expected to peak in late January. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Pasquale for King

• GinRummy

• Fozzyonthefence

7 minutes ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

With the 11/1 vote, i would laugh my thrupennies off if Sevco and Dundee voted against it so thet the OF game gets played BCD.

Media reports are saying that this would be a board matter rather than a club vote.

Rangers, Ross Co, Hibs, Hamilton, Dunfermline and Forfar will make the call.

Yes Forfar who had 473 fans at their last home game.

4 minutes ago, Homme said:

Not happy with our stance. Thinking too much in the short term.

It's going to be a long time before all ST's are in the ground again at the same time, never mind being free to sell to capacity.

Still, at least it's a break of such for our players. Hopefully we have a full squad to pick from when we resume whenever that is.

I think we're overthinking this.

It seems the SPFL Board make the decisions. Celtic want it. It's fairly simple.

Just the details to work out. Like whether Cammy Devlin misses the Hibs game for his 1 match suspension. 

August Landmesser
1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

I just think the club should take whatever income they can get when they can get it as the situation is likely to get worse. That’s it in a nutshell. I obviously could be completely wrong as could anyone else. 

Part of Alan Burrows' statement pointed out that allowing 500 people in results in costs (stewards, tea hut staff etc.) that aren't covered by the gate receipts. Crowds of 500 will be loss-making for all the Premiership clubs, and most of the rest of the SPFL I would think.

Seems a no-brainer to bring the break forward and re-evaluate in mid-January

Hearts stance is the correct one but i think, they think, the games will go ahead behind closed doors, there is a lot of emphasis on making sure your login for Hearts tv is working in that statement, this bit caught my eye.

The club cannot stress enough how important it is to follow the above steps as soon as possible as we enter the busy festive period

Just now, Forever Hearts said:

It's a guess, mate. 

As I say, worse case scenario.

Down to everyone over the next month really !

Berra than you
5 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

If the Premiership clubs vote to shut down due to the 500 limit, what numbers are we talking about before they are happy to start up again and are they going to have a date in mind to restart if there is no chance of full capacity stadiums until March ?

What I took from hearts statement is that given there is a break already planned, bring it forward so it's inline with the forecasted three weeks. If after those three weeks fans aren't allowed in, then crack on with BCD games. At least that way they are trying to get fans in. Fwiw I don't see full capacities being back in by mid January, but it makes sense to at least give that a chance. 

6 minutes ago, JamboGraham said:

If the clubs have been given an assurance that all restrictions will lift on the 17th January regardless of the current data/science then it's a call worth making.

If they haven't been given that assurance then it's a gamble.

I guess we will all know in time. I trust our club so do expect they have additional information that is not for the general public at the moment.

Either way it's not simply a case of shifting the break forward and playing them over the original break dates. The Scottish Cup and the fact that the limit is in place until the 17th of Jan takes care of that.

All 3 fixtures might not get played right away. There was talk of a free date in April. 

kingantti1874

It’s the right call and there’s no risk here, the worst case scenario is that it games end up going ahead behind closed doors.. the season will not be “cancelled” early for exactly the same reasons as March 2020. Tv money forfeit.  

the club are simply trying to allow the best opportunity for fans to attend. 

Edited by kingantti1874

Hagar the Horrible
2 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

It’s the right call and there’s no risk here, the worst case scenario is that it games end up going ahead behind closed doors.. the season will not be “cancelled” early for exactly the same reasons as March 2020. Tv money forfeit.  

but but but we had to cancel the season early so we could all get the TV money, Celtic and Doncaster said so,   They did not lie did they?

Fozzyonthefence
5 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

But it was cancelled early in March 2020!  I don’t think it will be this time though. 

16 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

Well like i said further up, if we are going to be in this restricted situation beyond the end of January then football is the least of our concerns.

2 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

It’s the right call and there’s no risk here, the worst case scenario is that it goes ahead behind closed doors.. the season will not be “cancelled” early for exactly the same reasons as March 2020. 

It may end up being the right call but I don't agree there is no risk.

It pushes a lot of games into an already tight schedule.

What is the impact on the squad, etc.

I agree that the season will not be shut down but if we see call offs on the EPL scale in our game during late Jan/Feb then we could be looking at very unpalatable schedules to fit all the matches in. This is before weather and cup replays.

The plan needs to be joined up, thought through and proper care given to the 'what if' scenarios that may occur. I just don't think our authorities are capable of this.

So far it seems to be postpone, hope for the best and hey we might get a few injuries healed/transfer window open. (From clubs, not supporters who rightly just want to attend matches).

Ex member of the SaS
24 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I just think the club should take whatever income they can get when they can get it as the situation is likely to get worse. That’s it in a nutshell. I obviously could be completely wrong as could anyone else. 

I agree we should take what cash we can but you have to offset that income with expenditure. If it costs more to open the ground with police stewards etc than what we can possibly bring in then it makes no sense to open.

SPFL board deciding on it tonight.

Reps on the board from Hibs, Rangers and Ross County.

Hopefully they stick to the current schedule.

33 minutes ago, JamboGraham said:

If the clubs have been given an assurance that all restrictions will lift on the 17th January regardless of the current data/science then it's a call worth making.

If they haven't been given that assurance then it's a gamble.

I guess we will all know in time. I trust our club so do expect they have additional information that is not for the general public at the moment.

Either way it's not simply a case of shifting the break forward and playing them over the original break dates. The Scottish Cup and the fact that the limit is in place until the 17th of Jan takes care of that.

There is no such assurance. The only guarantee in place is a review in 3 weeks. Will the situation be better, worse, or the same by then ? God only knows but the track record on restrictions suggests longer than 3 weeks before this is lifted. The only other factor here is if the booster programme is complete they may decide there is no further need for restrictions. 

There are other things that could be looked at. Suspending the Scottish cup would be one and squeezing it in towards the end of the season. Possibly extending the season by 10 days might be an option. What doesn’t seem to be an option is any games BCD or any kind of shortening of the league season. 

There are some possible ugly conclusions in the worst caSe scenario if this goes on much further than the end of January. Celtic are driving this yet AGAIN and they’d bite your hand off for a null and void if it suits them.

There is another question that needs to be asked here. How many players at each club have been vaccinated and boosted. If it’s a low number that has to be questioned and addressed so we can prevent an EPL scenario with dozens of cancelled games due to Covid infections

Edited by JimmyCant

Only once the NHS is not struggling will we be allowed back into grounds.

NHS is preparing for the virus to peak from Christmas day onwards and as it stands at the moment waiting times for a Ambulance is 13 Hours and A and E is 24 hours.

Hospitals are over capacitated and they are expecting 6000 admissions a day in the next few weeks.

Football could well be called again.

Need to hope for a mild winter if we are expecting to play football when we should be having a winter break. 

Fozzyonthefence
3 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

I agree we should take what cash we can but you have to offset that income with expenditure. If it costs more to open the ground with police stewards etc than what we can possibly bring in then it makes no sense to open.

It would surely make more sense for the big clubs to play behind closed doors rather than restrict to 500.  But for League 1 and League 2 clubs that would be like a normal crowd for them so effectively business as usual.  Assuming they can field a team!

Pasquale for King
52 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

This has nothing to do with those muppets and more to do with curtailing a disease for 4 weeks to allow more folks to get boosters AND then allowing fans back into Tynecastle (& the Dunbar end of Fester for the derby). We are going to shut down anyway, why not just do it 3 games early?

(And to be honest from a totally selfish perspective, I have Covid now (no symptoms) and will miss the game on Saturday this week).

It’s not going to be curtailed for four weeks though, I doubt if there will be a full house at any game again this season. 
If we are talking about being selfish I can’t say I was bothered in the slightest to not have to sit in the freezing cold for 2.5 hours on Sunday and Wednesday. 

Ex member of the SaS
1 minute ago, Shanks said:

Need to hope for a mild winter if we are expecting to play football when we should be having a winter break. 

But we need a hard winter to kill of bugs. Can't win eh?

Ex member of the SaS
6 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

SPFL board deciding on it tonight.

Reps on the board from Hibs, Rangers and Ross County.

Hopefully they stick to the current schedule.

Why only three team reps? If only three it would make sense for that to be the top three, or the top two and bottom.

Pasquale for King
Just now, Maroon Sailor said:

Surely Hibs and St Mirren fans have more experience of doing this? No doubt the Celtic fans will be outside with the police just watching. 

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

So the club have went with the others and want the winter break brought forward, how predictable. 

Almost as predictable as certain posters being triggered by whatever the club decided. 

Almost. 

August Landmesser
3 minutes ago, Shanks said:

The worst weather is usually February anyway, last January was beautiful weather for football, and there were several postponements in February IIRC.

Ex member of the SaS
59 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

This has nothing to do with those muppets and more to do with curtailing a disease for 4 weeks to allow more folks to get boosters AND then allowing fans back into Tynecastle (& the Dunbar end of Fester for the derby). We are going to shut down anyway, why not just do it 3 games early?

(And to be honest from a totally selfish perspective, I have Covid now (no symptoms) and will miss the game on Saturday this week).

Curtailing games for four weeks? I remember them saying three weeks to flatten the curve and two jabs to get back to normal. The likelihood that crowds will be back before the end of Jan is highly unlikely IMHO.

Butterbean1874
1 hour ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

What backlog?  Makes no difference if we just bring the winter break forward.   None whatsoever.  Unless games get stopped but they’re not at the moment.

Am sure the backlog of games could be incorporated into the remainder of the season how many games are we actually talking about IF it is only a 3wk break, even for a few wks midweek games 🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

There is a vote after all

Looks like it’s going to happen then 🤦🏽

SPFL want games on Boxing day to go ahead and the  cancel the 2 rounds before 3rd.

Midweek fixtures from 17th Jan to play Postponed games.

Forever Hearts
4 minutes ago, Butterbean1874 said:

Am sure the backlog of games could be incorporated into the remainder of the season how many games are we actually talking about IF it is only a 3wk break, even for a few wks midweek games 🇱🇻🇱🇻🇱🇻

Games are being cancelled all the time down south and we're voting to take an unnecessary break. When are these three games and possibly more going to be played? Bear in mind Rangers and Celtic are still in Europe, Scotland have fixtures and the Scottish Cup will be starting soon. 

kingantti1874
31 minutes ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

but but but we had to cancel the season early so we could all get the TV money, Celtic and Doncaster said so,   They did not lie did they?

It was ALL about giving Celtic the title, making sure there was no scenario where trophies weren’t awarded.. 

the one scenario which won’t happen is season cancelled.. 

all my opinion of course 

3 minutes ago, Butterbean1874 said:

You need to have all matches caught up before the split. At the moment there are 5 available slots (all midweek). If Rangers or Celtic advance again in Europe that leaves 3 slots for a full card. That's before replays and any other postponements. It's doable just but leaves zero wiggle room outside of playing 3 matches per week. No split and it's slightly less of a headache.

Will require careful planning and care. Something our friends at the SPFL are not well known for.

Just now, JamboGraham said:

You need to have all matches caught up before the split. At the moment there are 5 available slots (all midweek). If Rangers or Celtic advance again in Europe that leaves 3 slots for a full card. That's before replays and any other postponements. It's doable just but leaves zero wiggle room outside of playing 3 matches per week. No split and it's slightly less of a headache.

Will require careful planning and care. Something our friends at the SPFL are not well known for.

First thungs first...no replays

Forever Hearts

And if we get games postponed due to the weather in February/March? 

5 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

SPFL want games on Boxing day to go ahead and the  cancel the 2 rounds before 3rd.

Midweek fixtures from 17th Jan to play Postponed games.

Compensation for the 6 clubs who at home on Boxing Day?

Celtic don't lose a home crowd. 

I can also see them playing Scottish Cup matches to a conclusion on the day/night of the game with extra time and penalties if required as there will be no space available for replays (especially if we bring the break forward and extend it a little as is being suggested)

Pasquale for King

Is there a 11-1 requirement for the vote to pass, typically the BBC report doesn’t mention this vital aspect. 

12 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

Games are being cancelled all the time down south and we're voting to take an unnecessary break. When are these three games and possibly more going to be played? Bear in mind Rangers and Celtic are still in Europe, Scotland have fixtures and the Scottish Cup will be starting soon. 

We've already got an 'unnecessary break' we're just talking about moving that to now.

If people are genuinely worried about games maybe not getting played we could be using those weeks to bring games forward into that space.

SectionDJambo

If the break is being brought forward it should be from now, not after Boxing Day. Unless the SPFL are going to fully compensate the home clubs, on the Boxing Day fixture list, in full for lost attendance money, including refunds to season ticket holders.

I'll bet Celtic and Hibs are happy to vote for after Boxing Day because they stand to lose nothing.

3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Is there a 11-1 requirement for the vote to pass, typically the BBC report doesn’t mention this vital aspect. 

Don't think so.

Forever Hearts
2 minutes ago, Diego10 said:

We've already got an 'unnecessary break' we're just talking about moving that to now.

If people are genuinely worried about games maybe not getting played we could be using those weeks to bring games forward into that space.

And if we take this break now and football shuts down or games get called off in January when the virus peaks? When do we play the outstanding fixtures? 

Edited by Forever Hearts

4 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Not every decision requires 11/1. Non constitutional and non reconstruction votes I believe can be carried 8-4

7 minutes ago, Boyces beard said:

I can also see them playing Scottish Cup matches to a conclusion on the day/night of the game with extra time and penalties if required as there will be no space available for replays (especially if we bring the break forward and extend it a little as is being suggested)

They already announced that at the start of the competition. From Round 4 onwards there will be no replays, all games played to a conclusion on the day.

• davemclaren changed the title to Festive Fixtures - supporters return from 17/1 (updated )
  • JKBMod 3 locked this topic