Festive Fixtures - supporters return from 17/1 (updated )

Maroon Sailor

1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

St Mirren say they can't field a team.

If they start with 7 and get a player sent off the match will be abandoned. 

I know so did Hibs and there games got cancelled so why not St Mirren's

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Pasquale for King

• GinRummy

• Fozzyonthefence

play on with reduced crowds or bring forward the scheduled winter break?

what ya all think? maybe someone could start a poll?   i say play on with 500 crowd

4 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

So I have no sympathy for them but what is the difference between St Mirren's Covid outbreak and the one Hibs had ?

I wonder which of these two clubs is represented on the SPFL board and has a high profile ex-executive on the SFA board.

Fxxx the SPFL
9 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Full House at the darts too, Ray. Rammed together boozing, shouting, singing etc. 

They're not giving two hoots.

Correct Jonno 

3 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

!Celtic and Hibs, who are both staring at the prospect of hosting a derby with no fans and severe revenue losses, both issued statements calling for the winter break to be brought forward"        sums up what we all thought

Feel a bit dirty for saying it, but good on Hibs and Celtic for raising their concerns and tackling this. I know many here will no doubt go against the grain with me here given the recent history of the SPFL but I really hope we all group together and do what's best for fans here. The past was about clubs acting in their best interests, but in this case it's in the best interest of every club and their own supporters to find a positive outcome here.

Normally I'd totally agree with the whole '**** them' attitude, but this isn't about the SPFL or rival clubs. This is a significant percentage of the population missing out due to harsh government imposed restrictions and every club who roll over and accept it will only be hitting their own pockets as well as their own fans.

No longer active
12 minutes ago, HeartsandonlyHearts said:

Anyone remember how St Johnstone voted when we were demoted?

I understand the feeling if it came to a vote to relegate a side if (big if) covid were to curtail the season early again, but we should vote the same way we did last time and continue to hold the higher ground - the principal of unfairness last time is still worth upholding!

Just now, George Cowie said:

I understand the feeling if it came to a vote to relegate a side if (big if) covid were to curtail the season early again, but we should vote the same way we did last time and continue to hold the higher ground - the principal of unfairness last time is still worth upholding!

was thinking the same

6 minutes ago, Locky said:

Feel a bit dirty for saying it, but good on Hibs and Celtic for raising their concerns and tackling this. I know many here will no doubt go against the grain with me here given the recent history of the SPFL but I really hope we all group together and do what's best for fans here. The past was about clubs acting in their best interests, but in this case it's in the best interest of every club and their own supporters to find a positive outcome here.

Normally I'd totally agree with the whole '**** them' attitude, but this isn't about the SPFL or rival clubs. This is a significant percentage of the population missing out due to harsh government imposed restrictions and every club who roll over and accept it will only be hitting their own pockets as well as their own fans.

Helps Celtic with their injuries so fair play. 

2 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Helps Celtic with their injuries so fair play. 

Has to go to a vote surely. We can’t have 2 clubs asking for this and just getting it without a majority vote, especially when the 2 clubs coincidentally have the most to lose and therefore the most to gain.

Plus, there is no guarantee this will be a 3 week break. Far more likely to be double that at least 

11 minutes ago, Locky said:

You think those are the real reasons Celtic and the Vermin are saying what they're saying?

Bless.

Tom Hardy’s Dug
4 hours ago, maroonlegions said:

269679963_4964882660209933_5244827726496393278_n.jpg

Effectively me

4 hours ago, KyleLafferty said:

We have beni and Kingsley missing. Get that new full back in from oz and a striker. Early break might be the best idea.

I don’t particularly care if Celtic put it forward first at the moment I think an early break would benefit us too.

Get Boyce properly fit. Beni and Kingsley more time. Even Smith. Maybe get one or two new players in.

Wouldn’t do us any harm at all imo to have a wee break now.

Maroon Sailor
13 minutes ago, Locky said:

Feck Hibs

We'll see tomorrow night how many of their fans turn up

2 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Has to go to a vote surely. We can’t have 2 clubs asking for this and just getting it without a majority vote, especially when the 2 clubs coincidentally have the most to lose and therefore the most to gain.

Plus, there is no guarantee this will be a 3 week break. Far more likely to be double that at least 

Is the correct answer

1 minute ago, JimmyCant said:

Need to reschedule the games in blocks together for fairness. Same day for each round I'd have thought. 6pm and 8pm if Sky need 2 games. 

Worthing Jambo
1 hour ago, Sub4TiddlerMurray said:

It is a game.

It's full of drama and conflict.

A release for some, sure, but also a means of fuelling sectarianism, fights, domestic abuse and so on for others. Cherry-picking the former to add sentimental leverage to his point is disingenuous.

Is there that much sectarianism at Motherwell?

The other issues you mention are still the minority (erse cheeks excluded!) and probably societal anyway.

I still think that, on the whole, football is a great help to a lot of people.

Wasn’t that the reason that the likes of Hearts and Hibs were located where they are in the city?

The late 19th century social engineers identified the benefits back then.

Maroon Sailor

I suppose we'll never know if Omicron moves faster than Gnando now

Edited by Maroon Sailor

1 hour ago, Do The Dance said:

Why? The most sensible option is to bring the break forward, even if it extends for a slightly longer period. It'll need to come back eventually, but 3-5 weeks is surely manageable and a better option than us not getting to go to the games?

2020 was a farce and a joke to end the season, but I don't want the season ended, and I don't want games unnecessarily played before closed doors when we have a 3 week break coming up we could bring forward/extend slightly.

Do you really think these restrictions will be over in 3-5 weeks?

If they aren't the season becomes a farce, again. 

16 minutes ago, Hearts007 said:

If the derby goes ahead with 500 fans no doubt the Hobos will still announce a crowd of 20K

😂😂

Percival King
13 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

I agree. Doncaster repeatedly abdicates himself of responsibility by telling us he only carries out the clubs' wishes so presumably it has to be the wish of the clubs to bring forward the winter break. I'm not saying whether to bring it forward or not, just querying the process for doing that.

Jambo in Bathgate
41 minutes ago, Hearts007 said:

play on with reduced crowds or bring forward the scheduled winter break?

what ya all think? maybe someone could start a poll?   i say play on with 500 crowd

I say play on. We don’t want our fixtures backing up. Play the games with reduced crowds. 

Just now, Jambo in Bathgate said:

I say play on. We don’t want our fixtures backing up. Play the games with reduced crowds. 

yup

20 minutes ago, Homme said:

You think those are the real reasons Celtic and the Vermin are saying what they're saying?

Bless.

Not about what I do or don't believe Homme. Every club will have a modus operandi in such a situation. But this affects all fans of all clubs, so all I'm saying is I'd really hope that the 12 clubs are in solidarity here. Wishful thinking I know, but I don't see any real 'winners' in this scenario. Only plenty of losers.

Just now, Locky said:

Not about what I do or don't believe Homme. Every club will have a modus operandi in such a situation. But this affects all fans of all clubs, so all I'm saying is I'd really hope that the 12 clubs are in solidarity here. Wishful thinking I know, but I don't see any real 'winners' in this scenario. Only plenty of losers.

I'm not sure a fixture pile up, leading to the season possibly being called again, produces many winners either. 

fabienleclerq

Shite as it is not getting to go I think it's better playing what games we can. There's no way it opens up to full crowds in 3 weeks. Hibs losing a fortune is a bonus. 

4 minutes ago, Locky said:

We as fans can stay in the comfort of our own homes and watch games online. There is no need to stop games early because of the greed of two or three clubs.

16 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Agreed. Seething though I am, if the games can go ahead then they should; otherwise the prospect of an even bigger problem further down the line increases. All clubs are affected fan-wise, and although it may be the case that Celtic/Hibs stand to lose most financially I'm thinking that Hearts & others will also lose out substantially hospitality-wise. Trying to manipulate the scenario, especially if it really is at the behest of two clubs, could end up backfiring.

Tough one. We would lose 2 home games but if we start postponing games now and things don't get better then we are in the same nonsense situation we were in last time. Funnily enough St Johnstone's view will change dramatically

8 minutes ago, Hmfc1965 said:

I'm not sure a fixture pile up, leading to the season possibly being called again, produces many winners either. 

Perhaps not, but I'd rather take our chances.

5 minutes ago, Homme said:

We as fans can stay in the comfort of our own homes and watch games online. There is no need to stop games early because of the greed of two or three clubs.

Fair enough. If you're fine with that then kudos to you, but for the sake of my sanity and social life I'd rather not.

3 minutes ago, Locky said:

Perhaps not, but I'd rather take our chances.

Fair enough. If you're fine with that then kudos to you, but for the sake of my sanity and social life I'd rather not.

You won't have the same social life during these restrictions anyway. 

Play the games we've got scheduled and hopefully resume after the break. 

I'm doubtful though. 

When has a circuit breaker lockdown even stopped after the originally stated 2 or 3 weeks? Every chance 3 weeks could become 6 or 8 weeks. The fixture congestion this would cause would be a right problem to resolve.

On 20/12/2021 at 15:44, Jambo 4 Ever said:

I’d say 70% will be off 

Go and make it 71% will you?

Cheers.

7 minutes ago, Steak said:

Tough one. We would lose 2 home games but if we start postponing games now and things don't get better then we are in the same nonsense situation we were in last time. Funnily enough St Johnstone's view will change dramatically

It's no the same as the last time.  There's no government ban on games happening.  The league can push break forward 3 weeks and review at that point.   

If at that point we need to play closed doors then we can.  

If the situation worsens and games get called off, these 3 games will have zero impact on the long term.

Pasquale for King

So St Mirren ask for their game with Celtic to be called off, Hibs now back Celtic by also asking for the winter break to be brought forward. What are Dundee saying 🤔🤷🏾‍♂️🤦🏽?!?!

Yip just get on with the games, the clubs have proven lots of times that they only look out for themselves, celtic and hibs have still to complete a busy run of games and a break will definitely help both clubs for different reasons ie injuries/bonding. The sky contract will probably be the main factor in how this plays out anyway.

There is no way the season will start again in 3 weeks. This circuit breaker will last at least until Feb/March.

Play the games 

11 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

So St Mirren ask for their game with Celtic to be called off, Hibs now back Celtic by also asking for the winter break to be brought forward. What are Dundee saying 🤔🤷🏾‍♂️🤦🏽?!?!

I actually think they should just shut it down now until mid January then start again. Makes perfect sense. 

3 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

I actually think they should just shut it down now until mid January then start again. Makes perfect sense. 

It would if we were confident of starting again then.

I don't see how we can be.

Just now, Hmfc1965 said:

It would if we were confident of starting again then.

I don't see how we can be.

Well theyve got form there. So we finish 3rd then. 

:yas:

17 minutes ago, amadjambo said:

When has a circuit breaker lockdown even stopped after the originally stated 2 or 3 weeks? Every chance 3 weeks could become 6 or 8 weeks. The fixture congestion this would cause would be a right problem to resolve.

This is the biggest argument against it and I’d imagine SPFL and Sky will both want the games to continue.   The risk is too great that there won’t be more Covid impacts beyond the 3 weeks which could impact games being played and create a fixtures nightmare.   I reckon it will be a case of play the games whilst we can now and then use the winter break to see how it pans out.    

• davemclaren changed the title to Festive Fixtures - supporters return from 17/1 (updated )
  • JKBMod 3 locked this topic