Walker off the wage bill in January......? ( merged )

Section Q

It's not rocket science. We lack a goal scorer and Walker scores goals. It's criminal the amount of game time he's been given this season. I'd love to see him start the next game or at the very least bring him on at 60 minutes and let him run their defence ragged. 

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sadj

• Bazzas right boot

• soonbe110

• JimmyCant

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Sertse said:

It's not rocket science. We lack a goal scorer and Walker scores goals. It's criminal the amount of game time he's been given this season. I'd love to see him start the next game or at the very least bring him on at 60 minutes and let him run their defence ragged. 

It probably down to JW, why JW doesn't play more.

Francis Albert
1 minute ago, Bull's-eye said:

Walker isn't good enough consistently if we want to challenge for 2nd, next season. Doesn't deserve a start and doesn't deserve a new contract. 

He seems a decent lad but he's a bottom 6 SPFL player, good enough on his day but your never going to get a performance every week. We need player who perform every minute of every game to the best of their ability, Jamie Walker isn't one of those players. 

He's not good enough if we have the ambition Mr Savage says we have. 

How many players do we have or are likely to get who meet your definition of what we need? Players who play to the best of their ability for every minute of every game and are good enough to challenge for second place? Currently we have precisely one. 

9 hours ago, davemclaren said:

I was thinking exactly the same earlier but cameo players have value as well. 

They do, but it’s convincing them that’s what they are which is the issue.  Walker has had a strange career for me. One of the biggest talents to EVER emerge from Hearts academy who had an attitude problem when he was a boy, then shook it off and did well but wanted away, then his injuries which mean he can’t do 90 minutes followed by a bit of an attitude again. To me he’s a super-sub. If we could convince him that’s what he’ll usually be for us and massage his ego at the same time AND more importantly use him more often he is a game changer well worth keeping. He was superb yesterday when he came on, he runs beyond tired people, he finds space, he’s a lovely footballer and a lethal finisher. The fans mostly like him. Singing his name for just warming up. He seems to love Hearts. What’s not to like when you compare his cameo yesterday with the likes of GMS ( who is probably more talented but doesn’t give one single shit about Hearts) week in week out

1 minute ago, Francis Albert said:

How many players do we have or are likely to get who meet your definition of what we need? Players who play to the best of their ability for every minute of every game and are good enough to challenge for second place? Currently we have precisely one. 

Saved me typing FA

4 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

we have other players who should go before walker? GMS, Woodburn and Gnando being 3 

My post could refer to a number of players but as this ones about JW I was talking about him specifically. 

He's a favourite son, bleeds Maroon etc etc. . I get it. 

But the point stands, he's not good enough consistently and never has been, he didn't contribute anything getting us into 3rd,  never mind challenging above that, which is surely our goal. No ?

26 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Not seen the highlights but Hearts TV commentary said Collum blew for a foul on Woodburn(?) In the build up to the disallowed goal and the linesman had (wrongly) flagged offside against Walker so there was no advantage in letting our move continue.

Bad angle but I thought Walker looked off anyway.

7 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

It probably down to JW, why JW doesn't play more.

Something has obviously happened between him and RN that we don't know about. On the pitch he's given 100%

6 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

2 minutes ago, Sertse said:

Something has obviously happened between him and RN that we don't know about. On the pitch he's given 100%

Is he, tho. He looked unfit for a good while, and had a couldn't be arsed look about him.  I hope he comes good, tho. 👍 

Saying that, I'd be a bit pissed off if Gnando was getting a game before me. :D The same happened to JC.

19 minutes ago, Sertse said:

Agree. What does GMS bring that walker doesn't other than running about like an idiot. We lack goals in this team and not a single person can argue walker's goals to games is superb for us. Whether people think he is "lazy". 

He wins games for us and has done for years. Been saying he deserves his chance

17 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

Walker isn't good enough consistently if we want to challenge for 2nd, next season. Doesn't deserve a start and doesn't deserve a new contract. 

He seems a decent lad but he's a bottom 6 SPFL player, good enough on his day but your never going to get a performance every week. We need players who perform every minute of every game to the best of their ability, Jamie Walker isn't one of those players. 

He's not good enough if we have the ambition Mr Savage says we have. 

If you can challenge for 2nd you can challenge for 1st in this league, but we’re miles away. We’ve got the basics at this moment but we could easily lose most of that in the summer or before, then your re-building again and so on.

For Hearts to challenge for 1st/2nd you need several ducks to line up at once but first you need 3 or 4 windows to build a group of really good hungry up and coming mid 20’s with a sprinkling of experienced leaders on and off the field who’ll fight tooth and nail for each other and you won’t keep them all for long so you get one shot at it. You also need one of the OF to be in a transition season. both would be great but that doesn’t happen often.

Savage’s words are great and inspirational. I think he actually thinks it’s possible and I think he’ll give it one hell of a shot, but we’ve a mountain to climb before it’s realistic and I don’t think it’s possible next even next season. 

Walker won’t be around if and when it happens but neither will a dozen or so others we currently have.

5 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

If you can challenge for 2nd you can challenge for 1st in this league, but we’re miles away. We’ve got the basics at this moment but we could easily lose most of that in the summer or before, then your re-building again and so on.

For Hearts to challenge for 1st/2nd you need several ducks to line up at once but first you need 3 or 4 windows to build a group of really good hungry up and coming mid 20’s with a sprinkling of experienced leaders on and off the field who’ll fight tooth and nail for each other and you won’t keep them all for long so you get one shot at it. You also need one of the OF to be in a transition season. both would be great but that doesn’t happen often.

Savage’s words are great and inspirational. I think he actually thinks it’s possible and I think he’ll give it one hell of a shot, but we’ve a mountain to climb before it’s realistic and I don’t think it’s possible next even next season. 

Walker won’t be around if and when it happens but neither will a dozen or so others we currently have.

Pretty much my thinking, Jamie Walker isn't good enough. Agreed.

Fozzyonthefence
5 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

You could say the same for everyone in our squad bar 2.  

Who would you replace JW with though that’s within our budget?

Edited by Fozzyonthefence

Bazzas right boot
12 hours ago, Paris 84 said:

50,000 posts, it is quite a lot when you think about it? Maybe, you should really speak to someone. There’s got to be a reason why you think that the JKB community is hanging on every word you say? Every thread, every day, every week, every month, every year. Maybe your next change of username should be Clickbait. Or even better Boab Clickbait, as you’ve flogged the ‘Boab’ nonsense day in, day out for weeks.

50,000 posts.

Are you the biggest bore on the board?  

12 hours ago, Paris 84 said:

Ps. I hope your team get ****in humped  tomorrow. 

Sorry missed this "banter"  as it was Saturday night and I was out. 

Did you have fun? 

I reckon you need to change you user name to *lonely drunk 21", far more apt. 

13 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

You could say the same for everyone in our squad bar 2. . 1

Who would you replace JW with though that’s within our budget? . . 2

Point 1 . . . . Whataboutery.

Point 2 . . . . Don't know our budget.

My opinion . . . . Again, Jamie isn't good enough consistently and never has been if we have aspirations of going up the table.

Edited by Bull's-eye

9 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

My opinion . . . . Again, Jamie isn't good enough consistently and never has been if we have aspirations of going up the table.

People are talking like Jamie scores winners every week, running defences ragged.

He's a high earner who's been a massive disappointment since coming back, we can do better

Just now, Smithee said:

People are talking like Jamie scores winners every week, running defences ragged.

He's a high earner who's been a massive disappointment since coming back, we can do better

Usual JKB.

You become a superstar the longer you stay on the bench.

kingantti1874
54 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

My post could refer to a number of players but as this ones about JW I was talking about him specifically. 

He's a favourite son, bleeds Maroon etc etc. . I get it. 

But the point stands, he's not good enough consistently and never has been, he didn't contribute anything getting us into 3rd,  never mind challenging above that, which is surely our goal. No ?

yes. And I don’t disagree entirely but  if he can come on and change a game like yesterday we should retain him UNTIL we sign someone better..

which IMO, we don’t have right now 

1 minute ago, kingantti1874 said:

yes. And I don’t disagree entirely but  if he can come on and change a game like yesterday we should retain him UNTIL we sign someone better..

which IMO, we don’t have right now 

Barrie McKay's waay better

We need goals to get three points.  
walker scores them. Others don’t.  
we need to find a way to accommodate him. Whether that’s impact sub or start?  We need to create a position for him we need him on pitch to grab a few goals to get us the three points. Of the draws we had earlier in the Season, clearly one goal would have changed one point to three. Could he have made the breakthrough for us?  
We need a goal scorer in January that can be a starter/90 mins and comp/support for Boyce but we currently have a resource who can contribute now. 

Fozzyonthefence
8 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

Point 1 is not whataboutery.  You’re the one suggesting we should be challenging for 2nd.  Not going to happen but if it did, almost every one of our players is not good enough so why single out JW?

Point 2 - I thought it was a JKB rule that you’re not allowed to criticise our manager in any way without having a suitable list of replacements, along with their wage requirements, available, so I assumed this extended to slagging our players too.

Last bit, probably correct but do we seriously have any aspirations of going higher up the table and do you not think there’s a strong probability that we would have had a few more goals and, therefore, points if JW had more game time?  Do you think he would be missing all the sitters that MacKay, GMS, Woodburn, Ginnelly, Boyce have missed?

Fozzyonthefence
9 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Not at scoring goals. 

Edited by Fozzyonthefence

3 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Not as scoring goals. 

Definitely at goal contributions.

Jamie scored 3 league goals in our relegation season after coming back as a big signing.

Jamie scores goals? He's a waste of a jersey most games.

41 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

Not really his point I don't think, in 3-4 years Walker would be getting too old anyway. Footballers have a very limited window where it's viable to have them on their books due to injuries etc

46 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

He's hardly covered himself in glory with the signings of Woodburn, Nando and Kastaneer etc and all his inspirational words will be wasted if we continue to sign players who are simply not up to it.

10 minutes ago, Sid said:

We need goals to get three points.  
walker scores them. Others don’t.  
we need to find a way to accommodate him. Whether that’s impact sub or start?  We need to create a position for him we need him on pitch to grab a few goals to get us the three points. Of the draws we had earlier in the Season, clearly one goal would have changed one point to three. Could he have made the breakthrough for us?  
We need a goal scorer in January that can be a starter/90 mins and comp/support for Boyce but we currently have a resource who can contribute now. 

Vs Dundee at Tynecastle I reckon he would have made all the difference if he was brought on instead of gnanduillet. We'll never know obviously but he is very effective off the bench.

Fozzyonthefence
Just now, Smithee said:

Definitely at goal contributions.

Jamie scored 3 league goals in our relegation season after coming back as a big signing.

Jamie scores goals? He's a waste of a jersey most games.

How many has MacKay scored?  How many assists?  I actually like MacKay but his finishing is hopeless, like a few others in this squad that get a nosebleed in the box. 

Walker seems to have lost his way, whether it is down to injuries or attitude or a bit of both, I don’t know.  I didn’t really want him back to be honest but he is here and seems bizarrre not to use him at least as a sub when we’re crying out for someone to score and missing sitter after sitter while dropping points to the bottom clubs in the league.

23 minutes ago, Bull's-eye said:

The entire team is littered with players that are not good enough to be honest. Take GMS the the actual F'k thinks he should be in a Hearts jersey? Saying he is shite is actually a complement he is that bad . As Hearts go since RN was last in charge we are having a stellar season but the points on the board do not lie we are a long way off being anywhere near the top two come the seasons end. I cut RN some slack for some of the performances he is doing a decent job with some substandard players ... does he have what it takes to get a better performance with better players ? Controversially I doubt it. In short we are what we are a meh team with a meh manager BUT it would take a huge input of resources to change that but that is only my opinion others can dis agree. 

Walker just needed a chance and eventually Neilson relented. He got his chance and proved how valuable he can be if utelised correctly. Funny reading the doom and gloom posts pre match date and the different points of view post match.

kingantti1874
19 minutes ago, Smithee said:

he is..  but Gnando, GMS and woodburn are not are they.. 

I mean I terms of the impact they can have on the side..

Boyce, McKay and Walker sounds like a decent option to me when looking for goals

Much as I said he is a luxury player and we shouldn’t keep him earlier, I would still agree that it is worth playing him up front in the next couple of games if Boyce is still unfit. He can finish and that’s what we lack just now.

The only problem is that he tends to be awful when he starts games.

Bazzas right boot
31 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Tbf, he's came on twice this season with the game 0-0.

He has run the defence ragged and he has scored the winner x2

If Walker had been given the same amount of game time as GMS, Mackay, Woodburn or Ginelly he’d have at least six or seven goals and probably around the same amount of assists.  He’s been underused in my opinion.  Hopefully he’s done enough yesterday to make Neilson think about giving him more game time.  Would rather we didn’t let him go to one of our rival clubs in January.  He’s still got lots to offer at Hearts.

29 minutes ago, Hearts007 said:

Consistency has always been his problem  unfortunately

Yip, I agree he should be getting a shot ahead of GMS and Woodburn currently however let’s not pretend that he played multiple games last year where he was anonymous.

It would be short sighted if we let him go in January though as he still has quality in front of goal to make an impact.

3 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Why do you think we kept playing the goalie with no hands? 

Risky business this loan stuff! 😳

Edited by Thomaso

2 hours ago, luckydug said:

Come on let's be honest here. 

Even at his best Jamie Walker is not getting in to that Rangers team. 

If Mr Walker snr thought Jamie could play for Rangers it must have been before Gerrard arrived at Ibrox. 

This is before he left us and ended up at Wigan, I believe Walker's father got involved and thought that Hearts/CL offer wasn't up there with what some other players where on at the time and made it's way into the newspapers at the time!, I don't know the actual in's and outs!, only what was represented through the media at the time and Rangers came in with a couple of bids that Hearts/CL refused and I believe we ended up getting less from Wigan than was offered by Rangers?, this was before Gerrard's time I believe at Ibrox, at that point in time with the performances Jamie was putting in every week he would have had a very good chance of getting game time with Rangers or any other club in Scotland he was touted for Scotland call up at the time also!

38 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Nah, Jack Grealish's stunt double. 

He's getting a touch of the Bartons for me! Jamie I mean

Edited by Smithee

Jambo in Bathgate
14 minutes ago, Getintaethem said:

If Walker had been given the same amount of game time as GMS, Mackay, Woodburn or Ginelly he’d have at least six or seven goals and probably around the same amount of assists.  He’s been underused in my opinion.  Hopefully he’s done enough yesterday to make Neilson think about giving him more game time.  Would rather we didn’t let him go to one of our rival clubs in January.  He’s still got lots to offer at Hearts.

In the last two seasons it has been shown that Walker has become best played as a substitute. Coming on in the last 20 he is able to change the game by scoring goals. This would be the case for keeping him. I doubt he could play a full 90 minutes and be effective. He has skill which in the last 20 makes him very effective against tiring defenders. Yesterday he scored two goals, albeit one disallowed. He had the skill and pace to beat defenders. He’s become an impact sub. I say keep him.  

1 minute ago, Jambo in Bathgate said:

In the last two seasons it has been shown that Walker has become best played as a substitute. Coming on in the last 20 he is able to change the game by scoring goals. This would be the case for keeping him. I doubt he could play a full 90 minutes and be effective. He has skill which in the last 20 makes him very effective against tiring defenders. Yesterday he scored two goals, albeit one disallowed. He had the skill and pace to beat defenders. He’s become an impact sub. I say keep him.  

Ginelly reminds me so much of that guy we signed from ICT a few years ago. Rapid but going nowhere...

Jamie Walker scores winning goals. He's a player who can be the difference. Perhaps not a 90-minute player and I don't know what state his knees are in, but as a squad player playing the last 30? I'd have him coming on every match at the hour mark...

There's always the idea that there are better replacements out there.

But Robbie's record on bringing in attacking players in both spells is mediocre to poor in my view.  And those signed since Savage appeared haven't been too special either.

A creative player like Walker should be cherished and the management work out the way to get the most from him.  Not going out to sign players like Sammon, Reilly, Frear, Roberts, Kastaneer, Ginnelly, Mackay-Steven, Woodburn, Gnanduillet etc.

Edited by Coco

He certainly needs to be given at least half an hour in the next two home games against county and St Johnstone.  Won us two points yesterday, his contributions could help us secure third.

Not his biggest fan but made an instant impact yesterday. 

He might be the impact player we need. Playing with better players now, he should get more chances on goal. His finishing was never in doubt. 

1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

Sorry missed this "banter"  as it was Saturday night and I was out. 

Did you have fun? 

I reckon you need to change you user name to *lonely drunk 21", far more apt. 

Of course you must have been out, what was it only 10, 15, 20 posts yesterday?