Should Scotland be an independent country?

Alex Kintner

Should Scotland be an independent country?  

505 members have voted

1. 1. Should Scotland be an independent country?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don’t know/ Abstain/ Spoil ballot

Ffs is that her only response ! Blame the Tories ! 
looks like she has taken lessons from no

one on how to run an economy 

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Unknown user

• JudyJudyJudy

• jack D and coke

• The Mighty Thor

2 hours ago, periodictabledancer said:

You don't know by how much but persist in stating Ireland is a "tax haven" ? Don't you think you should find out ? 

And i''ll come back to real tax havens - all those UK dependencies fingered by the US

government places like IoM & Gibraltar , which were slaughtered for their criminality. 

Ireland was on your Obama list too. 

The Mighty Thor
22 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Which bit of that was incorrect James?

2 hours ago, periodictabledancer said:

You don't know by how much but persist in stating Ireland is a "tax haven" ? Don't you think you should find out ? 

And i''ll come back to real tax havens - all those UK dependencies fingered by the US

government places like IoM & Gibraltar , which were slaughtered for their criminality. 

Persist? I've said it once mate, you need to relax.

As above, it's on Obama's list, and here a list of tax havens from a tax havens guide.

https://taxhavensguide.com/list-of-offshore-financial-centres.html

42 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Which bit of that was incorrect James?

I’ll get back to you later 

I’m also not sure Ireland did raise their rates recently - still looks to be 12.5%. 

However I believe they have committed to the increase to 15% for the corporate tax rate in line with the OECD plans for a global rate that Biden was at the front of last year. They were very much one of the country’s in opposition and ultimately dropped that though. 

For comparison the UK corporation tax rate is 19%. I believe it was slated to rise to 25% but that’s been dropped. 

Edit: Just to add though, headline rates alone aren’t enough here and when other reliefs and the like are considered the tax paid by a lot of firms is far below the headline tax rate. This also feeds into whether a country is or is not considered a tax haven. 

Edited by BlueRiver

3 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

You're joking right? 

It is the ****ing Tories!!! 

jambos are go!

Whatever happened to the SNP not calling a referendum until Yes  was at 60% for 6 months in the Polls? Have I got that wrong?

5 minutes ago, jambos are go! said:

Whatever happened to the SNP not calling a referendum until Yes  was at 60% for 6 months in the Polls? Have I got that wrong?

You just made that bollocks up.

12 minutes ago, briever said:

You just made that bollocks up.

Nah it was something idly said by Salmond I think right after the 2014 referendum. Never an official policy position, and before Brexit which clearly changed the calculus.

1 minute ago, Led Tasso said:

Nah it was something idly said by Salmond I think right after the 2014 referendum. Never an official policy position, and before Brexit which clearly changed the calculus.

It's the opposite of anything Salmond would have said.  Maybe something Peaheart Wishart would have said - but no such policy exists, neither should it - polling companies in the UK are about as impartial as BBC Scotland.

Just now, briever said:

It's the opposite of anything Salmond would have said.  Maybe something Peaheart Wishart would have said - but no such policy exists, neither should it - polling companies in the UK are about as impartial as BBC Scotland.

Right, I only meant that it wasn't totally made up, but it's still shite.

1 minute ago, Led Tasso said:

Right, I only meant that it wasn't totally made up, but it's still shite.

The SNP have been overrun by devolutionists and gender woowoos - I have not doubt one of their appalling new intake will have uttered some such bollocks - Pete Wishart too, a coward happy hoovering up his salary.

37 minutes ago, JimBett365 said:

1FADD3AD-6F97-40E5-8798-66E0B1952895.jpeg

9372EF50-A1EE-46DB-B083-16CE235B0452.jpeg

Oh dear. Yet another yoon wet dream vanishes in the air like a fart on the wind. 

5 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

This has long been the policy, no?

Is this even news ? Obviously except to the poster. 

If we are joining the EU why wouldn’t we use the euro. 

1 hour ago, Dazo said:

Is this even news ? Obviously except to the poster. 

If we are joining the EU why wouldn’t we use the euro. 

Because we might have the Scots pound. Or we may join the Euro. We will decide. 

Edited by Pans Jambo

18 hours ago, Dazo said:

We ?

Yes.
we. 
Unfortunately for the yoons the term “we” will be used when the people of Scotland need to make a decision that affects “us”. 
Not unelected (by “us”) toffs 400 miles away that couldnt even spell “Edinburgh”.

That “we”. 

2 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

Yes.
we. 
Unfortunately for the yoons the term “we” will be used when the people of Scotland need to make a decision that affects “us”. 
Not unelected (by “us”) toffs 400 miles away that couldnt even spell “Edinburgh”.

That “we”. 

A lot of referendums coming our way then to make all this decisions. 

Just wanted to pop in for a quick rant:

Pete Wishart. I absolutely loathe the man. His contempt for the yes movement isn't even hidden. He spends his time trawling twitter to find examples of idiocy from fringe elements of the Yes movement and highlights it to humiliate them. These people he's spending what appears to be a significant part of his day looking out are the 'politics twitter' equivalent of 'Celtic and Rangers Da's', proper low hanging fruit that are best ignored. By continuing to highlight these frustrated and unfortunately dim yes voters he's tarring the entire movement as cranks and idiots. I also completely object to a public figure using their platform to attempt to humiliate members of the public and encourage pile ons. Plenty of this is easily ignored and lost to the void of followerless accounts.

Genuinely, I'm a life long yes voter and I am choking to see this arrogant, self entitled, narcissistic, passionless arsehole of a man lose his seat. He is very embodiment of settling in, rather than settling up. He has done absolutely nothing to contribute to the progression of Independence in his 20 year parliamentary career, he's sat back whilst others have done the heavy lifting and has now become an utterly detestable sneering excuse of a man. 

The quote thats popping into my head with him is 'the problem with the yes movement is... its full of yes voters!'. 

Its been discussed before, but Sturgeons 'softly, softly, catchee monkey' approach to trying to win over 'soft' no voters isn't working and unfortunately folk with poor self control and a lack of understanding and education on social media aren't able to filter themselves. They are best ignored. Thats it. Just ignore them. Its not difficult. 

jambos are go!

I see the latest Ferry debacle stories don't seem to warrant attention from independence supporters on here. 

Thankfully the media including the BBC know what is in the public interest.  

Malinga the Swinga
1 hour ago, jambos are go! said:

I see the latest Ferry debacle stories don't seem to warrant attention from independence supporters on here. 

Shoosh now, you'll have the nationalists on attack mode if you dare to believe their beloved party and FM is just as corrupt and crooked as any Westminster one.

Malinga the Swinga
2 hours ago, OTT said:

Just wanted to pop in for a quick rant:

Pete Wishart. I absolutely loathe the man. His contempt for the yes movement isn't even hidden. He spends his time trawling twitter to find examples of idiocy from fringe elements of the Yes movement and highlights it to humiliate them. These people he's spending what appears to be a significant part of his day looking out are the 'politics twitter' equivalent of 'Celtic and Rangers Da's', proper low hanging fruit that are best ignored. By continuing to highlight these frustrated and unfortunately dim yes voters he's tarring the entire movement as cranks and idiots. I also completely object to a public figure using their platform to attempt to humiliate members of the public and encourage pile ons. Plenty of this is easily ignored and lost to the void of followerless accounts.

Genuinely, I'm a life long yes voter and I am choking to see this arrogant, self entitled, narcissistic, passionless arsehole of a man lose his seat. He is very embodiment of settling in, rather than settling up. He has done absolutely nothing to contribute to the progression of Independence in his 20 year parliamentary career, he's sat back whilst others have done the heavy lifting and has now become an utterly detestable sneering excuse of a man. 

The quote thats popping into my head with him is 'the problem with the yes movement is... its full of yes voters!'. 

Its been discussed before, but Sturgeons 'softly, softly, catchee monkey' approach to trying to win over 'soft' no voters isn't working and unfortunately folk with poor self control and a lack of understanding and education on social media aren't able to filter themselves. They are best ignored. Thats it. Just ignore them. Its not difficult. 

Not 100% sure, but I'm getting subtle vibe you don't like him.

10 hours ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Peter and Mrs Murrell. Nobody else is allowed opinion or input.

It was Mrs Mundell you used to have an issue with.

2 hours ago, jambos are go! said:

The same BBC that ignore the myriad of clusterfecks in England.

That thing you do
7 hours ago, jambos are go! said:

Im an Indy supporter and I think it does. There needs to be an enquiry and lessons learned. I understand one is coming.

Now, while I agree on that theres a few matters for non indy supporters to address

Cross rail way over budget and late

HS2 way over budget and late

Over budget warships  that break down in Portsmouth Harbour

PPE scandal

Shipping contracts with nae ships

Meanwhile at least it can be said The Queensferry Crossing and Borders Railway were a decent success.

The ferry fiasco isnt good but in the grand scheme of things is a drop in the ocean compared to Wastemonster.

9 hours ago, jambos are go! said:

That's because the topic is Should Scotland be an independent country, not Can you think of anything to slag the snp for.

Malinga the Swinga
3 hours ago, That thing you do said:

Im an Indy supporter and I think it does. There needs to be an enquiry and lessons learned. I understand one is coming.

Now, while I agree on that theres a few matters for non indy supporters to address

PPE scandal

Meanwhile at least it can be said The Queensferry Crossing and Borders Railway were a decent success.

The ferry fiasco isnt good but in the grand scheme of things is a drop in the ocean compared to Wastemonster.

Agreed that Westminster under Tory rule has been shambles and they're on track to pay for it by losing next GE.

Meanwhile in Scotland, you think current fiascos up here mean lessons need to be learned, but that's about it 

Complete double standards and hypocrisy but that's par for course. Stop using the whatabout Westminster and Tories as a brush to sweep the corruption from our government conveniently under carpet.

I want my Scottish government to be honest, reliable and trustworthy. A government for all the people, not the minority who make up their support. This lot are not capable of any of these.

Lord Montpelier
3 hours ago, That thing you do said:

PPE scandal

The Queensferry Crossing is already proving to be under specification. 

1 hour ago, Smithee said:

That's because the topic is Should Scotland be an independent country, not Can you think of anything to slag the snp for.

The trouble with that is that it's the SNP's version of Independence that is being peddled, so it's not surprising that the SNP are attacked on their own failings.

15 minutes ago, pablo said:

The trouble with that is that it's the SNP's version of Independence that is being peddled, so it's not surprising that the SNP are attacked on their own failings.

And the trouble with that is it still doesn't make it relevant to the topic.

43 minutes ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Agreed that Westminster under Tory rule has been shambles and they're on track to pay for it by losing next GE.

Meanwhile in Scotland, you think current fiascos up here mean lessons need to be learned, but that's about it 

Complete double standards and hypocrisy but that's par for course. Stop using the whatabout Westminster and Tories as a brush to sweep the corruption from our government conveniently under carpet.

I want my Scottish government to be honest, reliable and trustworthy. A government for all the people, not the minority who make up their support. This lot are not capable of any of these.

Start a thread then, this one's about independence.

20 minutes ago, Smithee said:

And the trouble with that is it still doesn't make it relevant to the topic.

It is relevant because it's what's on offer, no?

So in my opinion, Scotland shouldn't be an Independent country because it won't help a single working class or low income Scot for decades, if it actually ever will.

1 hour ago, pablo said:

It is relevant because it's what's on offer, no?

So in my opinion, Scotland shouldn't be an Independent country because it won't help a single working class or low income Scot for decades, if it actually ever will.

No, and obviously no.

Should Scotland be independent?

FERRIIEEEEEESSSS!

7 minutes ago, Smithee said:

No, and obviously no.

Should Scotland be independent?

FERRIIEEEEEESSSS!

Eh? Not sure I understand your point about ferries.

The SNP's current prospectus on Independence would make life more difficult for working class/low income people for an undefined period of time. So for that reason alone, I'm not interested. 

2 minutes ago, pablo said:

Eh? Not sure I understand your point about ferries.

The SNP's current prospectus on Independence would make life more difficult for working class/low income people for an undefined period of time. So for that reason alone, I'm not interested. 

More difficult than what? What's coming with Westminster?

2 hours ago, Lord Montpelier said:

The Queensferry Crossing is already proving to be under specification. 

That will be the border railway that is single tracked, uses rolling stock between 30 and 35yrs old, is not electrified, and terminates at Tweedbank, the arse end of nowhere.