Celtic to be served court summons

Forever Hearts

13 minutes ago, sac said:

Think the news reported the action as being an American style lawsuit against the perpetrators, by that I’m assuming it will be about getting huge payouts for the victims?

I think previous payments from other clubs like Manchester City have been pretty paltry actually . I think the American style reference is purely referencing the class action where a group are seen as the one party . I think any way 

Edited by Sooks

• Replies 777
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sooks

• Mikey1874

• Sir PH

• buzzbomb1958

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Carl Fredrickson
12 minutes ago, sac said:

Think the news reported the action as being an American style lawsuit against the perpetrators, by that I’m assuming it will be about getting huge payouts for the victims?

I think it is to do with a group of people with similar grievances coming together as a class action - one case rather than a load of individual court cases. I dont think it relates to how much is claimed or expected to be paid. 

Others may know better or be able to explain it in better terms. 

34 minutes ago, sac said:

The law in Scotland was changed fairly recently to allow class actions.

• 3 months later...
Mikey1874

An interesting update on what's happening. Looks positive for compensation payouts.

20240106_120725.jpg

Ex member of the SaS
On 26/09/2022 at 23:54, Mr Elwood P said:

Not sure I would describe another alleged victims of sexual abuse as 'good news' ?

The victims have already been identified and this is them seeking justice. THAT is good news. No one ( or at least I would hope no one would think more child abuse is good news ) 

Hopefully the biscuit tin takes a massive hit to pay off those seeking justice.

buzzbomb1958
34 minutes ago, sac said:

Hopefully the biscuit tin takes a massive hit to pay off those seeking justice.

Hibs , Dundee United and Sevco up next

It really is awful the way this has dragged on . I am not comparing grief and I would never do so , but I am a complete mess trying to deal with the loss of my Mum and the legal side of it . There is an ongoing criminal inquiry and it has only been nine to ten months or so . I have PTSD and dangerously bad anxiety and depression off the back of it . How many years has this been going on ? It seems to have been ongoing forever. These poor victims are living with this side of things EVERY single day , not just the effects of the abuse , but the reliving of it because of their quest for justice . That is what a lot of people fail to understand . These people are not just sitting at home living happy lives until every now and again they have to make statements or whatever , they are living this thing all the time . Some are probably suicidal or so low they could be self harming through abuse of alcohol or drugs . The mental toll that Celtic are putting them through is horrendous , they deserve to be slaughtered for how they have gone about this . Despicable people at that club for putting victims through this torture 

jamboozy
1 minute ago, Sooks said:

It really is awful the way this has dragged on . I am not comparing grief and I would never do so , but I am a complete mess trying to deal with the loss of my Mum and the legal side of it . There is an ongoing criminal inquiry and it has only been nine to ten months or so . I have PTSD and dangerously bad anxiety and depression off the back of it . How many years has this been going on ? It seems to have been ongoing forever. These poor victims are living with this side of things EVERY single day , not just the effects of the abuse , but the reliving of it because of their quest for justice . That is what a lot of people fail to understand . These people are not just sitting at home living happy lives until every now and again they have to make statements or whatever , they are living this thing all the time . Some are probably suicidal or so low they could be self harming through abuse of alcohol or drugs . The mental toll that Celtic are putting them through is horrendous , they deserve to be slaughtered for how they have gone about this . Despicable people at that club for putting victims through this torture 

Sorry to read about your loss and grief mate. I hope you are getting all the help and support you need. As you quite rightly say, it must be horrible for these victims.

Just now, jamboozy said:

Sorry to read about your loss and grief mate. I hope you are getting all the help and support you need. As you quite rightly say, it must be horrible for these victims.

Thank you . I did not intend to try and make this about myself , I just found that I see this through different eyes now than how I did before . Before I just kind of thought about it being a case of they will just be getting on with their normal lives until every now and again they need to make a statement or whatever . They are not , they are being put through a mangle every single day and it must be like torture 

jamboozy
Just now, Sooks said:

Thank you . I did not intend to try and make this about myself , I just found that I see this through different eyes now than how I did before . Before I just kind of thought about it being a case of they will just be getting on with their normal lives until every now and again they need to make a statement or whatever . They are not , they are being put through a mangle every single day and it must be like torture 

Understand Sooks, anything at any time can send you plummeting, I know from my own experiences.
     It must be terrible for these guys as they were exploited as youngsters, my heart goes out to them.

Just now, jamboozy said:

Understand Sooks, anything at any time can send you plummeting, I know from my own experiences.
     It must be terrible for these guys as they were exploited as youngsters, my heart goes out to them.

Exactly mate . They were exploited as youngsters and now they ate being tortured as adults . It is no exaggeration whatsoever to say that they have had their lives ruined 

jamboozy
Just now, Sooks said:

Exactly mate . They were exploited as youngsters and now they ate being tortured as adults . It is no exaggeration whatsoever to say that they have had their lives ruined 

Sadly, you are correct.

Rogue Daddy
27 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Exploited as youngsters, tortured as adults. What an existence. May those responsible rot in hell, when they get there! 
Sorry to hear about what you’re going through mate. You’ll come out of it stronger. 👍

1 hour ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Exploited as youngsters, tortured as adults. What an existence. May those responsible rot in hell, when they get there! 
Sorry to hear about what you’re going through mate. You’ll come out of it stronger. 👍

Yip . I think some people can overlook that side of things sometimes . This story appears every so often when there is a newsworthy development , and then we all just move on to the next thing in our busy personal lives . It is easy to forget that this is these peoples personal lives , every single day 

Thanks . 

Edited by Sooks

joondalupjambo

I guess the CFC actions will be driven by legal advice.  Advice that will be no doubt designed to reduce any liabilities that may, or may not to be paid out in the future.  Also terrible if part of the he aims are to drag this out so that some of the poor victims are gone by the time the final decisions are reached. 

9 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

I guess the CFC actions will be driven by legal advice.  Advice that will be no doubt designed to reduce any liabilities that may, or may not to be paid out in the future.  Also terrible if part of the he aims are to drag this out so that some of the poor victims are gone by the time the final decisions are reached. 

This is probably correct . Would any compensation not pass on to the family of a victim if they die before settlement is reached though ? I would hope so . If not then there is probably a chart somewhere that shows the average financial saving from cases like this against drop off rate . Depressing thought 

joondalupjambo
Just now, Sooks said:

This is probably correct . Would any compensation not pass on to the family of a victim if they die before settlement is reached though ? I would hope so . If not then there is probably a chart somewhere that shows the average financial saving from cases like this against drop off rate . Depressing thought 

Not sure but my feeling would be that part of this process would be for the legal folk to agree a payout to an individual.  It would then be perhaps up to the courts to agree or not as to the point of it going to somebody else if a victim passed.  The world has lost its moral compass and guilty parties all over will only payout after all legal paths are exhausted.  Horrible, horrible times.

1 minute ago, joondalupjambo said:

Not sure but my feeling would be that part of this process would be for the legal folk to agree a payout to an individual.  It would then be perhaps up to the courts to agree or not as to the point of it going to somebody else if a victim passed.  The world has lost its moral compass and guilty parties all over will only payout after all legal paths are exhausted.  Horrible, horrible times.

Thoroughly depressing thought . Agree about the world’s moral compass 

davemclaren
44 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

That's always been the case, unless there is enough consensus between the wronged and guilty party to settle prior to a judgement.  

Rogue Daddy
6 hours ago, Sooks said:

Yip . I think some people can overlook that side of things sometimes . This story appears every so often when there is a newsworthy development , and then we all just move on to the next thing in our busy personal lives . It is easy to forget that this is these peoples personal lives , every single day 

Thanks . 

👍

gorgierulesapply88

Horrible horrible institution.

How any parent can allow their child to support them is beyond me.

Disgusting.

• 3 months later...
LeylandJambo
27 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Progress

20240408_182451.jpg

20240408_182459.jpg

Good news if true. Its just sad that whatever the abused receive it'll never be enough.

1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

Progress

20240408_182451.jpg

20240408_182459.jpg

I assume this explains their stockpiling of cash then . They really should never have put these poor people through hell that they did by trying to dodge their responsibilities 

kingantti1874

What a stand up organisation. Hand forced after decades of denial. Yet another string to add to their glorious bow

buzzbomb1958
1 hour ago, Sooks said:

I assume this explains their stockpiling of cash then . They really should never have put these poor people through hell that they did by trying to dodge their responsibilities 

They wont pay it will be their insurers 

JDK2020
1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

What a stand up organisation. Hand forced after decades of denial. Yet another string to add to their glorious bow

You just know their many friends in the media are already lining up to apply the status of a communal sainthood to anyone and everyone associated with that vile club. This whole episode started in the 60s and went on for decades (and was denied for decades) even though some of their ex-players and managers referenced the goings-on in their biographies.  

26 minutes ago, buzzbomb1958 said:

Surely to **** you can’t get an insurer who pays out for THAT

34 minutes ago, buzzbomb1958 said:

As above, I doubt you'd get insurance that would pay out for decades of child abuse by multiple offenders.

Especially for an out of court settlement. 

Edited by SUTOL

buzzbomb1958
4 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Surely to **** you can’t get an insurer who pays out for THAT

It will be covered by public liability insurance which will cover for club employees being naughty and being sued by the public these policies for the likes of football clubs cost a fortune obviously depending on the size of a club 

Boyces beard
32 minutes ago, buzzbomb1958 said:

Celtic will pay surely, im no expert but i cant see the club being insured against hiring paedophiles 30-50 years ago.

Gilberts Fridge
7 minutes ago, buzzbomb1958 said:

It will be covered by public liability insurance which will cover for club employees being naughty and being sued by the public these policies for the likes of football clubs cost a fortune obviously depending on the size of a club 

Yep.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2016/dec/01/football-clubs-insurance-covering-child-sex-abuse-claims

buzzbomb1958
4 minutes ago, Boyces beard said:

Celtic will pay surely, im no expert but i cant see the club being insured against hiring paedophiles 30-50 years ago.

It’s nothing to do with who they hired their defence would be they didn’t know but no matter the guardian paper already stated that their insurance would pay

Kirky Jambo
4 minutes ago, buzzbomb1958 said:

It’s nothing to do with who they hired their defence would be they didn’t know but no matter the guardian paper already stated that their insurance would pay

Suspect you are right although was there not something odd about the order of events, i.e Jock Stein got rid of Torbett when he found out about the abuse and then Celtic for some reason re-hired him with some side gig years later

Boyces beard
2 minutes ago, buzzbomb1958 said:

Unbelievable eh, at least the victims get some sort of compensation which will obviously never be enough. Celtic get an excess on there public liability insurance when it comes up for renewal. Horrible club.

Swanny17
16 minutes ago, buzzbomb1958 said:

I thought Celtic argued that the beasts weren’t employees of the club? Hmmmm. 

BelgeJambo

Will the settlement come with an admittance and apology from Celtic.  Sure I read somewhere the last time a settlement was being suggested, it also included no responsibility/apology 

henrysmithsgloves

This should have been sorted years ago🤬 disgusting, lawyers will be coining it in no doubt 🤬

buzzbomb1958
9 minutes ago, BelgeJambo said:

Will the settlement come with an admittance and apology from Celtic.  Sure I read somewhere the last time a settlement was being suggested, it also included no responsibility/apology 

NDAs no doubt

Boyces beard

If they use Public liability insurance to pay the victims then that horrible institution are admitting that they are liable for the offences committed. 

li·able
adjective
  1. responsible by law; legally answerable

39 minutes ago, buzzbomb1958 said:

Maybe not the case. Perhaps the reason why Celtic have been hoarding cash is due to the expected liability?

1 minute ago, Boyces beard said:

If they use Public liability insurance to pay the victims then that horrible institution are admitting that they are liable for the offences committed. 

li·able
adjective
  1. responsible by law; legally answerable

Maybe they stockpiled the seventy million to avoid doing that ? OOCS with money paid as a gesture of good will or some such ? No liability taken ? Not a field I know much about 

Doctor FinnBarr

They are as guilty as the Celtic boys club they claim to have no connection with.

I agree with others who have said their public liability insurance will pay out any compensation to victims.  Remember, this is not a criminal case, it's a civil case, so will be covered by public liability insurance.

The only question I'd have is what is the limit of Celtic's public liability insurance.  They'll pay a premium that will cover them up to a certain limit, but I doubt any insurance company would cover an unlimited amount as they'd have no way of weighing up their potential liabilities against the insurance premiums they'd receive.

Another thing worth bearing in mind is that this class action only involves a proportion of people who were subjected to abuse.  If Celtic settle this case, then I'm sure they'll face further claims from victims who were not party to this action, but have just as much right to compensation.

Interesting to see how things unfold!

Section Q
4 hours ago, buzzbomb1958 said:

I'm not sure a clause for sexual abuse liability would be included in any insurance premium. 

Section Q

The BBC report refers to the legal action as "American style class action". It mentions this more than once, as if it's not the British thing do do. At least that's my take on it. 

WASPI/Post Office are only two of several class actions presently ongoing.

gorgierulesapply88

UK Gov should run an inquiry into this, ScotGov cannot be trusted.

Won't happen however, vile institution. 

A club who claimed it was a separate entity finally admitting guilt.

Anybody who allows their child to support these dogs needs their heads examined.

gorgierulesapply88
2 hours ago, Section Q said:

I'm not sure a clause for sexual abuse liability would be included in any insurance premium. 

The very reason they have 60 odd million in the bank 👍 they are having to pay.

8 hours ago, buzzbomb1958 said:

You don't get insurance for child abuse.

• davemclaren locked this topic