Afghanistan

HartleyLegend3

Francis Albert
25 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

The two need not be mutually exclusive Francis, and a bad machine doesn't know that he's a bad machine.

Well of course a bad machine doesn't know anything. Nor does a good machine whatever that means.

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• i8hibsh

• Jambo-Jimbo

• The Real Maroonblood

• Sharpie

Francis Albert
7 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Dumb humans think they're special. Well charter your own plane. Or should everything receive help.

Personally, I'd save my cat and dog, if it cost me my life.

And other people's lives?. Actual human beings?

Psychedelicropcircle
2 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Yes….

my post was directed at the very last couple of flights………going to be a hairy squeaky bum type of departure IMO 

I’d imagine drones will be on point at that moment!

For me there is another issue here with Mr. Farthing and his rescue cats & dogs.

When they get to the UK, he will most likely be setting up a centre in the UK.

I know that there are many people who are desperate to adopt one of his cats or dogs, now many will be genuine, but there will sadly be some people who can't wait to post a photo on their facebook page of their Afghan rescue dog, in other words look at me, look at me, look at me.

But more importantly, there are thousands of cats & dogs in rescue centres up and down the UK, who are desperate for a new loving home, and every Afghan rescue cat & dog which gets re-homed is potenially one less cat or dog currently in rescue centres that misses out and doesn't get re-homed.

Most rescue centres which are charities anyway are financially on their knees, they had to completely shut during lockdowns, but the animals still needed fed and looked after, no money at all was coming in, yet Mr. Farthing puts out an appeal and raises over £200,000 in a matter of days, must be wonderful to be able advertise your plight on every TV channel going.

1 hour ago, Jeffros Furios said:

But the bad machine doesn't know its a bad machine .

In Midnight Express parlance, the situation in Afghanistan is due to the factory, who make the machines.

1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Without sentimentality, we are machines.

Spot on.

Cant remember who said it.

And I cant remember word for word.

'But unti man tries to reach out to animals he will never truly understand his place in the world."

Sorry if that's not what you meant it's just what I took from your post.

15 hours ago, highlandjambo3 said:

You were selling it well up until those very last words

Got me there as well, what kind of holiday is that.😱

Well its 6'30pm, just took my nightly laxative, listened for 20 minutes to Hannity. Of course he is asking what is Sleepy Joe doing, he's an old man with cognitive difficulties, constantly on vacation in Delaware, should be removed from the presidency, a common shout on his nightly program, he interviewed the Vic e President of Afghanistan, and reports that the President flew out with  six carloads of millions and millions of dollars. He discussed with the Vice that they can in some valley take on the Taliban and rearm former soldiers and  defeat them. I guess its age causes strange memories did Afghanistan who fought man for man with NATO forces, and were considered good, did that army, not drop their weapons in defeat in hours after the Treaty kicked in and Taliban had Afghanistan. Now he is again advocating some American force into Afghanistan, of course he has to inject again a tirade about as he refers to him Joes inadequacies, why did Joe let it get to this stage. Why did Trump who h ad a full four years in Office, not seven months as Biden has had not use his oft suggested  something like the world's never seen, and finish the whole thing. I again opine that his full rhetoric Is used to convince that Biden is useless, and there is only one saviour that has the nerve, the tactics and the will to commit many thousand of young American lives to carry out a task that he when having the opportunity did not answer the call. 

I recently heard someone on one of the news shows comment America has never lost a war we have the greatest and mightiest army in the world. Ahem, Sir you got your ass kicked out of Viet Nam remember the helicopters over the Embassy in Hanoi. Sir you have never facd the Russian Army in direct conflict, and Sir I would suggest that the Chinese army may not be the greatest but they have numbers, and numbers that are spared to sacrifice. I have spoken to both British

and Canadian vets who fought in Korea, and the image of those Chinese literally by the thousands charging was terrifying.

Again I say watch out for something drastic in the U.S. in the near future, Trump is doing interviews, making comments to favoured reporters and there is something in the wind, and no that noise is not farts its Trump blowing smoke.

Here endeth the three thousand nine hundred and forty sixth lesson. God bless you my children. 

7 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

For me there is another issue here with Mr. Farthing and his rescue cats & dogs.

When they get to the UK, he will most likely be setting up a centre in the UK.

I know that there are many people who are desperate to adopt one of his cats or dogs, now many will be genuine, but there will sadly be some people who can't wait to post a photo on their facebook page of their Afghan rescue dog, in other words look at me, look at me, look at me.

But more importantly, there are thousands of cats & dogs in rescue centres up and down the UK, who are desperate for a new loving home, and every Afghan rescue cat & dog which gets re-homed is potenially one less cat or dog currently in rescue centres that misses out and doesn't get re-homed.

Most rescue centres which are charities anyway are financially on their knees, they had to completely shut during lockdowns, but the animals still needed fed and looked after, no money at all was coming in, yet Mr. Farthing puts out an appeal and raises over £200,000 in a matter of days, must be wonderful to be able advertise your plight on every TV channel going.

All I can picture right now is a British Bulldog reading the Daily Tail or a cat watching GB Mews.

"Those foreign pets coming in and stealing our owners!"

Intriguing listening to US security experts over last few days.

Taliban and ISIS-K despise each other (ISIS-K took out a top Taliban commander) and USA will rely on the Taliban in any fight against ISIS-K however, there is not a chance in hell that the Taliban not only were aware of the attack on Thursday, they will have played their part by allowing the bomber past their checkpoints.

highlandjambo3
12 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I wouldn't be surprised that the very last plane out has Jeeps speeding down the runway after the taxing plane and driving onto the open tailgate.

Will make for a good film I suppose

3 hours ago, Homme said:

All I can picture right now is a British Bulldog reading the Daily Tail or a cat watching GB Mews.

Sorry but if that's the way you are thinking, then I think you have missed the entire point of my post.

highlandjambo3
11 hours ago, Psychedelicropcircle said:

I’d imagine drones will be on point at that moment!

Drones, whilst a handy piece of kit, will be very limited in what they can see around the hustle and bustle or a busy urban environment…..they’ll likely spot a rocket but only after it’s been launched…..I’d suspect numerous oily type fires burning to create a screen……black hawk down type of thing.

Doctor FinnBarr
6 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Drones, whilst a handy piece of kit, will be very limited in what they can see around the hustle and bustle or a busy urban environment…..they’ll likely spot a rocket but only after it’s been launched…..I’d suspect numerous oily type fires burning to create a screen……black hawk down type of thing.

Drones already in action alledgedly

4 hours ago, Homme said:

😂😂

Daily Tail 👍👍

A re-homed animal is a re-homed animal at the end of the day. Where it's from is redundant. 

If the existing UK rescue centres made it a bit more easy to adopt their animals it might alleviate their issue. I looked into adopting a cat recently and they wanted me to have them come round during the working day to inspect my property as if it may be unsuitable for a cat, despite suitable for a human to live in. Hopefully this guy makes it over here and his cats are less picky, I might adopt one of them. UK cats are too snobby.

Edited by Taffin

2 hours ago, Taffin said:

😂😂

Daily Tail 👍👍

A re-homed animal is a re-homed animal at the end of the day. Where it's from is redundant. 

If the existing UK rescue centres made it a bit more easy to adopt their animals it might alleviate their issue. I looked into adopting a cat recently and they wanted me to have them come round during the working day to inspect my property as if it may be unsuitable for a cat, despite suitable for a human to live in. Hopefully this guy makes it over here and his cats are less picky, I might adopt one of them. UK cats are too snobby.

Any decent rescue centre will always put the welfare of the animal first, for all they know you could live on the 10th floor of a tower block or already have several dogs or a houseful of cats which you haven't mentioned, that's why a home visit is needed, it's as much to check you out as well as the surroundings for the new pet.

Mr. Farthing will most probably apply the same criteria as UK rescue centres, in fact probably even stricter, because of all the publicity, the media probably more local than national, is going to take an interest of who is adopting these animals, simply because it makes a human interest story.

On 24/08/2021 at 15:50, The Mighty Thor said:

Probably. 

You would have thought that the 'G7' countries would have had a plan A and at least a plan B for winding down after 20 years? 

I suspect they thought there would be a breathing space so to speak in which the Afghans would at least contain the Taliban. It took a couple of years after the US ending participation in Vietnam before the government they left behind fell resulting in the famous evacuation of Saigon.

My greatest memories of that are video images of US military personnel pushing helicopters off the deck of an aircraft carrier into the sea so more could land, unload, then be dumped too.

And a famous or notorious video of a South Vietnamese policeman executing a man in the street with a shot to the back of the head while kneeling.  The man was an early arriving lone rebel. 

3 hours ago, FinnBarr Saunders said:

Drones already in action alledgedly

Apparently they took out what they're calling a planner of the airport attack. Also claiming no collateral damage.

36 minutes ago, JFK-1 said:

I suspect they thought there would be a breathing space so to speak in which the Afghans would at least contain the Taliban. It took a couple of years after the US ending participation in Vietnam before the government they left behind fell resulting in the famous evacuation of Saigon.

My greatest memories of that are video images of US military personnel pushing helicopters off the deck of an aircraft carrier into the sea so more could land, unload, then be dumped too.

And a famous or notorious video of a South Vietnamese policeman executing a man in the street with a shot to the back of the head while kneeling.  The man was an early arriving lone rebel. 

Most probably exactly this.

I'd think the plan would have been something like this, after the US troops withdrew, then the people who needed to get out would have done so via commercial flights as most had been doing anyway since April.  A stable Afghan government & military would buy at least another 6 months to a year to get everyone out, including the folks in remote locations.

But that plan went out the window when the Afghan government & military collapsed, resulting in what we have seen over the last two weeks.

Mistakes have been made, of that there is no doubts, but a huge amount of praise has to be paid to the US & the UK forces for managing to get out over 100,000 people from one airfield in only two weeks.

Should never have had to do it in the first place, but it is what it is and they have done imo a bloody good job under the circumstances.

Overall these last few weeks have been utterly shameful and cowardly by the US and the UK Governments.

20 years and countless lives lost and it's all gone within a fortnight.

As the rats have been lured from they're hiding holes in recent weeks, there was never a better opportunity to go in harder than ever.

You have to wonder what consequences this will bring over the coming years. What we do know though, with absolute certainty, we will be back there within the next 5 to 10.

2 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Any decent rescue centre will always put the welfare of the animal first, for all they know you could live on the 10th floor of a tower block or already have several dogs or a houseful of cats which you haven't mentioned, that's why a home visit is needed, it's as much to check you out as well as the surroundings for the new pet.

Mr. Farthing will most probably apply the same criteria as UK rescue centres, in fact probably even stricter, because of all the publicity, the media probably more local than national, is going to take an interest of who is adopting these animals, simply because it makes a human interest story.

Is it putting the welfare first though? They instead stay in a rescue centre and in some cases eventually get put down. A quick look at your address or a check on street view will ascertain whether you live in a tower block or not. If they want to scope the potential adoptee out then have a quick video call. All it does is encourage people to get a puppy or a kitten or buy privately where it's much worse for animal welfare. It should be easier to adopt than to get 'new', it isn't and as such there will always be more and more animals that need re-homed in a self perpetuating cycle.

Off topic I know but it's just madness. A random stranger coming to check you and your house out to pass judgement on whether you can house a homeless pet when you can get a new pet privately or even have a kid without any checks on your skillset and housing situation.

I’m no expert on counter terrorism but is it wise to carry out a retaliation attack before everyone has been evacuated? Or is the thinking that it will stop anything happening over the next couple of days? 

56 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Is it putting the welfare first though? They instead stay in a rescue centre and in some cases eventually get put down. A quick look at your address or a check on street view will ascertain whether you live in a tower block or not. If they want to scope the potential adoptee out then have a quick video call. All it does is encourage people to get a puppy or a kitten or buy privately where it's much worse for animal welfare. It should be easier to adopt than to get 'new', it isn't and as such there will always be more and more animals that need re-homed in a self perpetuating cycle.

Off topic I know but it's just madness. A random stranger coming to check you and your house out to pass judgement on whether you can house a homeless pet when you can get a new pet privately or even have a kid without any checks on your skillset and housing situation.

All fair points.

2 hours ago, Tazio said:

I’m no expert on counter terrorism but is it wise to carry out a retaliation attack before everyone has been evacuated? Or is the thinking that it will stop anything happening over the next couple of days? 

The thinking is to gain some political capital at home rather than for any tactical or strategic military sense.

HartleyLegend3

I've had to watch this a few times, absolutely unbelievable that these two imbeciles are leading the UK

Listen to Raab, people running for their lives and he thinks it's astonishing they are still hanging about the airport after the attack.. 

4 hours ago, Tazio said:

Taliban are kicking up feck about it.

Seeing as there is an evacuation still on-going then yes it would have probably been wiser to wait until after it had finished.

However the US public expect immediate retaliation and that's exactly what they got.

The Real Maroonblood
5 hours ago, VALDOS' said:

Overall these last few weeks have been utterly shameful and cowardly by the US and the UK Governments.

20 years and countless lives lost and it's all gone within a fortnight.

As the rats have been lured from they're hiding holes in recent weeks, there was never a better opportunity to go in harder than ever.

You have to wonder what consequences this will bring over the coming years. What we do know though, with absolute certainty, we will be back there within the next 5 to 10.

20 years with many lives lost.

4 Presidents overseeing this.

Trillions of dollars spent to get rid of the Taliban.

Only to be replaced by the Taliban. 

What a mess.

Savage Vince
9 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

What a mess.

Trillions of tax dollars paid to private corporate businesses which profit only from continued wars. 

The Real Maroonblood
17 minutes ago, Savage Vince said:

Trillions of tax dollars paid to private corporate businesses which profit only from continued wars. 

This.

24 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

What a mess.

Heard an interesting interview with a US military historian the other day.

He was on about that Biden will get the blame because it's happened on his watch, even although it's Trumps bad deal, but you can go further back to two key decisions made by George W. Bush, the first was the 2003 invasion of Iraq, which diverted massive resources away from Afghanistan and allowed the Taliban off the hook and the chance to re-group, the other really bad decision was to try nation building in Afghanistan, the US should have been out of the country by 2007, but excuse after excuse was made to keep troops there, and that has led to the mess that we are seeing now.

But he wasn't finished, because he said the whole mess of the last 20 years and the last two weeks in particular, can be traced back to a decision made by Jimmy Carter in July 1979, when he initiated a covert CIA operation to financially support the Afghan rebels the Mujahideen.

Then in December 1979 when the Soviets invaded Afghanistan, Jimmy Carter expanded the programme and Operation Cyclone was born which cost some $20 billion by the time the Soviets left in 1989.

It could be argued that if the US hadn't had funded the Mujahideen and the Soviets had defeated them, then the Taliban would never have needed to have formed to take on the Mujahideen.  America, the guy said sowed the seeds of it's own defeat in July 1979, and it was 40 years in the making.

The Mighty Thor
2 hours ago, HartleyLegend3 said:

I've had to watch this a few times, absolutely unbelievable that these two imbeciles are leading the UK

Listen to Raab, people running for their lives and he thinks it's astonishing they are still hanging about the airport after the attack.. 

Its been said many times. Stuff like this makes 'The Thick of It' look like a documentary.

I genuinely struggle to understand how anyone with basic cognitive function can vote for Johnson and that mob or indeed think they are doing a sterling job. 

Britain hasn't been dumbed down. Its been labotomised.

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Heard an interesting interview with a US military historian the other day.

He was on about that Biden will get the blame because it's happened on his watch, even although it's Trumps bad deal, but you can go further back to two key decisions made by George W. Bush, the first was the 2003 invasion of Iraq, which diverted massive resources away from Afghanistan and allowed the Taliban off the hook and the chance to re-group, the other really bad decision was to try nation building in Afghanistan, the US should have been out of the country by 2007, but excuse after excuse was made to keep troops there, and that has led to the mess that we are seeing now.

But he wasn't finished, because he said the whole mess of the last 20 years and the last two weeks in particular, can be traced back to a decision made by Jimmy Carter in July 1979, when he initiated a covert CIA operation to financially support the Afghan rebels the Mujahideen.

Then in December 1979 when the Soviets invaded Afghanistan, Jimmy Carter expanded the programme and Operation Cyclone was born which cost some $20 billion by the time the Soviets left in 1989.

It could be argued that if the US hadn't had funded the Mujahideen and the Soviets had defeated them, then the Taliban would never have needed to have formed to take on the Mujahideen.  America, the guy said sowed the seeds of it's own defeat in July 1979, and it was 40 years in the making.

That’s pretty brutal.

7 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

The last British troops have left Afghanistan and are on their way home.

Hopefully they will never be required to return.

They might when the demands for humanitarian action after the Taliban take over completely get settled in then start destroying everyone and everything that does not conform with their tenets, e.g.  2022 young women who do not cover their face possibly raped and murdered,  sentenced without Trial, archaic religious beliefs practised by men, with women basically second or lower class citizens. I don't know what year you would consider their belief and actions are in but it definitely not the 2020's. Too many countries such as Britain have made a centuries long career in entering other countries to sort out their problems. It has now reached the stage that it is like an automatic reflex they cannot control  they jump in as  in their mind they are the best antidote. Well like anything in life, you become old and tired as a problem solver and as long as they leave you and yours alone, let them just carry on. Stay out of anywhere there is trouble. Do you know a pub and the customers are always causing fights and trouble, do you always help, of course not its none of your business.

indianajones
2 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

The last British troops have left Afghanistan and are on their way home.

Hopefully they will never be required to return.

Will be back very, very shortly. 

HartleyLegend3

How can the British Army ever trust Westminster again.. 

How can it trust the UK public who voted for that Political elite again... ? 

Edited by HartleyLegend3

Bill Hicks accurately described Americas long track history of military aid.

They sold us Apache helicopters recently....  

Dagger Is Back
14 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Its been said many times. Stuff like this makes 'The Thick of It' look like a documentary.

I genuinely struggle to understand how anyone with basic cognitive function can vote for Johnson and that mob or indeed think they are doing a sterling job. 

Britain hasn't been dumbed down. Its been labotomised.

Couldn’t agree more. It will be a source of bemusement to me for the rest of my days.

I can’t even begin to imagine what was going through those twos thick skulls when they said what they did.

Their words though and indeed their demeanour tell you an awful lot.

Horrible uncaring *******s 

Savage Vince
13 hours ago, HartleyLegend3 said:

How can the British Army ever trust Westminster again.. 

How can it trust the UK public who voted for that Political elite again... ? 

Absolutely disgusting. The people in government are a vile shower of human scum. 

I have just stopped watching the touching video of the transfer from an aircraft the caskets containing the remains of the U.S. service personnel who were murdered in Afghanistan. I have had to stop , in 1954 I attended a burial service at Moascar Military Cemetery, Egypt, for Gdsn Ken Wallace murdered in Port Said by activists, in April 2013, I attended funeral services for our beloved daughter who died in a motor vehicle accident.  I had to stop watching todays return of dead children, someones son,or daughter, my empathy for those poor people made me so emotional that I could no longer watch. We can discuss on threads like this what should be done, but what should be done is a whole review of humans total disdain for the life of another human regardless of whom they are what they are or where they are. Death is for us all, but the taking of one should not be a method of achievement of purpose. I cannot condemn others for seeking retribution, I would have had no conscience in dispatching without Trial or defence one of Wallaces attackers, but that wouldn't bring him back, not killing him in the first place would have been the solution.

I am pontificating my opinions and views on how things should be different, but I am human, emotions spent, I will again revert to my true personification and advocate the power of the British ,Canadian, and American militaries to go in and Nuke the shit out of all of them.

SectionDJambo
1 hour ago, Sharpie said:

I have just stopped watching the touching video of the transfer from an aircraft the caskets containing the remains of the U.S. service personnel who were murdered in Afghanistan. I have had to stop , in 1954 I attended a burial service at Moascar Military Cemetery, Egypt, for Gdsn Ken Wallace murdered in Port Said by activists, in April 2013, I attended funeral services for our beloved daughter who died in a motor vehicle accident.  I had to stop watching todays return of dead children, someones son,or daughter, my empathy for those poor people made me so emotional that I could no longer watch. We can discuss on threads like this what should be done, but what should be done is a whole review of humans total disdain for the life of another human regardless of whom they are what they are or where they are. Death is for us all, but the taking of one should not be a method of achievement of purpose. I cannot condemn others for seeking retribution, I would have had no conscience in dispatching without Trial or defence one of Wallaces attackers, but that wouldn't bring him back, not killing him in the first place would have been the solution.

I am pontificating my opinions and views on how things should be different, but I am human, emotions spent, I will again revert to my true personification and advocate the power of the British ,Canadian, and American militaries to go in and Nuke the shit out of all of them.

What I can’t understand about people who murder in the name of their God, is why they think that their God will be happy that they have taken the lives of people that they do not know, who may share their beliefs in that God and who have had little time in their lives to have done any offence to their God.

Just before they press the button to detonate their explosives, do they look around and see the faces of the innocent souls they are about to massacre and have no regret or second thought? 
The answer is probably that they are just murdering lunatics who use religion as an excuse for their sheer, evil badness. One thing is surely certain. If they think they are going to a heaven as a reward for their crimes, they are deluded.

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, Sharpie said:

Good post, Bob.

10 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

What I can’t understand about people who murder in the name of their God, is why they think that their God will be happy that they have taken the lives of people that they do not know, who may share their beliefs in that God and who have had little time in their lives to have done any offence to their God.

Just before they press the button to detonate their explosives, do they look around and see the faces of the innocent souls they are about to massacre and have no regret or second thought? 
The answer is probably that they are just murdering lunatics who use religion as an excuse for their sheer, evil badness. One thing is surely certain. If they think they are going to a heaven as a reward for their crimes, they are deluded.

Who are we talking about here. Muslims or Christians? Suicide bomb or drone attack, both evil.

Governor Tarkin
2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Who are we talking about here. Muslims or Christians? Suicide bomb or drone attack, both evil.

Attack drones don't claim to work for god, bud, but they're very effective at fragging those that do.

Edited by Governor Tarkin

Following on from the intercepted suicide car bomb of yesterday which the US took out with a drone, ISIS-K have been firing rockets at the airport, fortunately the American air/missle defences took them all out.

But you just know that ISIS-K are going to try and shoot down a plane, assuming they haven't already tried.