Afghanistan

HartleyLegend3

JudyJudyJudy
57 minutes ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

Just weird. Lost tribes in Papua and the Amazon are more modern thinking than these animals. I can’t get my head around their beliefs no matter how hard I try.

Yes I’d be thrown off the nearest building 13th floor and not for my JKB ramblings ! 

55 minutes ago, Sharpie said:

With the death of I heard a report  12 U.S. Marines I can see no way they the USA cannot because of those deaths alone fail to mount a significant force and go back into Afghanistan and impose full military action against the perpetrators of this action. It will be a total deviation from past American actions when they are attacked not to react, but particularly their  military operation in a humanitarian manner to allow refugees  be evacuated.

But so what just read this thread to see mans vitriolic anger to other man. Quite frankly if these comments  had been made in the United States and somewhat in Canada there  is a good possibility firearms would conclude the disagreement. Sad to see when in some cases the combatants are men that you respect and like, there is a sadness.

Im Not really a conspiracy theorist but…….

42 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Whenever I see this nonsense going on in Afghanistan I always think back to the Afghans I've been fortunate enough to meet, both in the UK and when I lived in Xinjiang. To a man and woman they were polite, curious and friendly, all the while looking like they have something on their minds - probably worried about the violent extremists who seem determined to make their homeland a desperate, dangerous place.

There was an Afghani Owner of a corner near me . He had a Brilliant wee shop where you could buy your morning rolls , sausages eggs and if your felt inclined poppers and any other “ items “😂 he really was a legend who sadly died of a heart attack in early June this year . He was around 63 . He used to tell me his stories of Afghanistan and how he fled there 40 years ago to flee persecution . He built up a successful business and was really a legend in the community . Rip To him . I Admired him . 

• Replies 992
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• i8hibsh

• Jambo-Jimbo

• The Real Maroonblood

• Sharpie

Governor Tarkin
2 hours ago, felix said:

Fair enough if you're in your 40s.  If  you're old enough to remember the 50's; 60's and 70's even some of the 80's -Afghanistan was a relatively forward thinking, secular country.

When Russia / America and ourselves started taking sides and arming the Islamists,  the trouble began.

You're forgot Pakistan on your list.

I'm in my 40s so you're probably right, but a flick through the history books would suggest that Afghanistan's time as a prime destination on the hippy trail was merely a brief hiatus in its long troubled history. 

Governor Tarkin
1 hour ago, jonesy said:

Whenever I see this nonsense going on in Afghanistan I always think back to the Afghans I've been fortunate enough to meet, both in the UK and when I lived in Xinjiang. To a man and woman they were polite, curious and friendly, all the while looking like they have something on their minds - probably worried about the violent extremists who seem determined to make their homeland a desperate, dangerous place.

My experience of Afghans is primarily from holiday in Pakistan, jonesy, but I'll second the bit in bold. 

1 hour ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

The last US planes out of Kabul carrying at least 12 dead Marines coffins wrapped in the stars and stripes. Biden will have some job spinning this one. As others have said, its happened on his watch.

Just watched Biden carry out a press conference. 

He didn't shirk the tragic events of today - if anything he looked visibly shaken by the events. 

He deliberately spoke slowly/clearly but at the end got riled about the situation and turned back a question to remind a journalist that Trump kicked off the whole process including agreeing a treaty with the Taliban and committing to a date. 

I think we'll hear more of the pushback and move to blame Trump from the Whitehouse. 

Shanks said no
4 minutes ago, Mysterion said:

Just watched Biden carry out a press conference. 

He didn't shirk the tragic events of today - if anything he looked visibly shaken by the events. 

He deliberately spoke slowly/clearly but at the end got riled about the situation and turned back a question to remind a journalist that Trump kicked off the whole process including agreeing a treaty with the Taliban and committing to a date. 

I think we'll hear more of the pushback and move to blame Trump from the Whitehouse. 

Only caught a bit of his speak but Jen Psaki certainly not holding back, we will hunt them down and kill them.

1 minute ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Only caught a bit of his speak but Jen Psaki certainly not holding back, we will hunt them down and kill them.

Biden was quite strong about that too. 

Psaki also saying the president was somber about the unfolding events and that this has weighed heavy on him. Normal people would see and understand that in his words, tone and physical appearance suggested he was feeling it. The right wing media will use it to suggest he's not fit for purpose. 

Trump would be losing the plot if he was still in charge. 

1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

You're forgot Pakistan on your list.

I'm in my 40s so you're probably right, but a flick through the history books would suggest that Afghanistan's time as a prime destination on the hippy trail was merely a brief hiatus in its long troubled history. 

Pakistan obviously a huge influence on Afghanistan - but like the Saudis, Egypt & UK - they're all on the same (US) side.

I have just completed watching and listening to Sean Hannity on Fox News.Donald Trump was shown making a statement about todays happenings, usual Trump  quotes, "like has never been seen before" the best in the world" " We should never have been in the middle East, but I destroyed the Caliph"  Would never have happened to me, " I warned the Taliban when I spoke to them, that the greatest force in the world would destroy them." What a warrior, what a mentally afflicted blowhard.  

I make another prediction, and it is based on some things I analyzed when he was talking. "it would never have happened if I was  President". some time in the near future I am sure you will see a similar incident as 6 January, and the motive will be to have Biden removed from office and to have Trump replace him. his television  statements and the Hannity television interview were both campaign type offerings  by a candidate seeking election, in this case a candidate seeking an overthrow. Even if I am totally wrong which I suspect  I may have been once a long time ago, this situation is getting dangerous for USA, domestically and foreign. There is no doubt Biden shares culpability, but with allies such as Fox News, activists etc Trump has a large following and support.

Edited by Sharpie

6 hours ago, jonesy said:

Same ironically enough, with the Iranians. Sound as a pound.

Colleague of mine (an American) ended up working as an extra on The Kite Runner when they were filming it down in Kashgar. He brought a few Afghans and Iranians that were working on the film up to Urumqi for a knees up. They know how to have a good time, too.

Iran is on my bucket list destinations. Doubt I'll ever go, but ...

Governor Tarkin
3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Iran is on my bucket list destinations. 

Mine too.

An Indian mate of mine and his wife spent a month or so travelling around Iran a couple of years ago. They encountered no hostility or bother of any sort, the oposite actually, and said it was a fantastic place to visit if you are sensible to local customs and can do without a bevvy.

highlandjambo3
21 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Mine too.

An Indian mate of mine and his wife spent a month or so travelling around Iran a couple of years ago. They encountered no hostility or bother of any sort, the oposite actually, and said it was a fantastic place to visit if you are sensible to local customs and can do without a bevvy.

You were selling it well up until those very last words

highlandjambo3
11 hours ago, Victorian said:

They'll wait and then batter the living **** out of anything they find with 'over the horizon' munitions (drones and cruise missiles).  

This will happen but with minimal/no effect however, the gun toting yanks will want revenge in some form or another for their recent loss of life, eye for an eye and all that.  There will be demonstrations in their capitol.

unfortunately many of their strikes will include collateral damage……………I do believe there will be much more horror to unravel in the future.

UK evacuation is to end today, all the outside gates to the airport are closed and there are about 1000 people the UK is due to fly out and that's it, once they are away, all that will be left will be the military.

The French, Germans, Dutch & the Danes have already ended their evacuations overnight.

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Four faces said:

Bitter lake mate,sorry.

That’s okay.

I found it and will get round to watching it.

Governor Tarkin
29 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

You were selling it well up until those very last words

Of course, the more resourceful visitor will have little difficulty in sourcing some illicit refreshments.

There are Christians, Jews, and other assorted pagans/infidels in Iran; and as all good Muslims who aren't quite as devout as they might me know, Allah isn't always watching.

Savage Vince
2 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

UK evacuation is to end today, all the outside gates to the airport are closed and there are about 1000 people the UK is due to fly out and that's it, once they are away, all that will be left will be the military.

The French, Germans, Dutch & the Danes have already ended their evacuations overnight.

Pretty humiliating ending it has to be said. 

42 minutes ago, Savage Vince said:

Pretty humiliating ending it has to be said. 

How did you think it would end?

This is pretty much the same way every foreign force has left Afghanistan, since the days of Alexander, i.e; getting out in a hurry with their tails between their legs.

Savage Vince
51 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

How did you think it would end?

This is pretty much the same way every foreign force has left Afghanistan, since the days of Alexander, i.e; getting out in a hurry with their tails between their legs.

Exactly. 

Are we allowed to ask where people will live once evacuated ?

We don't have housing for all as it stands though we should have or at least as close to it as is viable.

We have councils like Edinburgh who cannot house their own current population telling us to take more refugees which in an ideal world would be a good thing to do but in a world of tough choices should the refugees take priority ?

The ideal world part of me says help but the real world part of me thinks it right to ask questions and demand answers.

If I am on a housing list and have been for a few years should I just accept a further delay or housing stock of a lower standard ?

highlandjambo3

I get a feeling there will be an attempt to try the spectacular by the Taliban near the very end.

UK forces typical withdrawal templates can be either:  

The front troops filter through the troops immediately behind them during daylight for maximum protection etc….or, at night the withdrawal is from the back first leaving only a front line at the very end who cam withdraw fairly quickly, both are fraught with high risk and danger.  The term “withdrawal” usually implies things are not going so well.

So, how does the last group of soldiers/aircraft get out?  There will need to a degree of trust and handing over the baton to the taliban with their promise of safe passage for the last troops etc…..I see the last aircraft battering down the runway coming under fire with no friendly forces on the ground and, well within shoulder rocket launcher range and heavy machine gun.  I fear the worst will happen.  Air cover will not pick up this threat and the taliban will not give a flying …. what happens.  

I would not be surprised if a great deal of money was promised to facilitate this extraction.

1 hour ago, CJGJ said:

Are we allowed to ask where people will live once evacuated ?

We don't have housing for all as it stands though we should have or at least as close to it as is viable.

We have councils like Edinburgh who cannot house their own current population telling us to take more refugees which in an ideal world would be a good thing to do but in a world of tough choices should the refugees take priority ?

The ideal world part of me says help but the real world part of me thinks it right to ask questions and demand answers.

If I am on a housing list and have been for a few years should I just accept a further delay or housing stock of a lower standard ?

Sadly, outsiders come first in this country.

This is a disater waiting to happen and I feel maybe one stretch too much for the Great British public.

Resentment will be rife.

Fed up of hearing about the bloke and his 200 dog and cats when there are people condemned to a shit life and worse. He had the chance to leave but decided he won't go without his animals, fair enough it's his choice, don't need the media telling us him or his animals are important.

8 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Of course, the more resourceful visitor will have little difficulty in sourcing some illicit refreshments.

There are Christians, Jews, and other assorted pagans/infidels in Iran; and as all good Muslims who aren't quite as devout as they might me know, Allah isn't always watching.

I'd be too busy investigating Iran's history to drink. 👍

The Real Maroonblood
52 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

Fed up of hearing about the bloke and his 200 dog and cats when there are people condemned to a shit life and worse. He had the chance to leave but decided he won't go without his animals, fair enough it's his choice, don't need the media telling us him or his animals are important.

They are important. 

4 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

They are important. 

Not as much as actual people though, 200 cats and dogs taking up room on one of the few flights out. Nah.

1 hour ago, highlandjambo3 said:

I get a feeling there will be an attempt to try the spectacular by the Taliban near the very end.

UK forces typical withdrawal templates can be either:  

The front troops filter through the troops immediately behind them during daylight for maximum protection etc….or, at night the withdrawal is from the back first leaving only a front line at the very end who cam withdraw fairly quickly, both are fraught with high risk and danger.  The term “withdrawal” usually implies things are not going so well.

So, how does the last group of soldiers/aircraft get out?  There will need to a degree of trust and handing over the baton to the taliban with their promise of safe passage for the last troops etc…..I see the last aircraft battering down the runway coming under fire with no friendly forces on the ground and, well within shoulder rocket launcher range and heavy machine gun.  I fear the worst will happen.  Air cover will not pick up this threat and the taliban will not give a flying …. what happens.  

I would not be surprised if a great deal of money was promised to facilitate this extraction.

British soldiers will be long gone by time the last flight takes off, the Americans are the last to leave.

From bits and pieces I've picked up from various commentators today, this seems to be the situation on the ground.

You have the Taliban lines and they are letting nobody through, then it's the area where the bomb attack was and there is nobody but a few US soldiers there, then beyond that is the processing area which is patroled by US troops and is getting smaller all the time, then the airport proper, there are no AFAIK British troops on the outer perimiters of the airport, this says to me that they are due to be flown out over the week-end, leaving only American troops at the airport.

That is my understanding from the wee bits of info from different sources. 

Of course I could easily be putting 2 & 2 together and getting 97.

The Real Maroonblood
4 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

Not as much as actual people though, 200 cats and dogs taking up room on one of the few flights out. Nah.

Just shoot them.

20 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

Really!? They'll be in the cargo hold of a private chartered plane. It's not as if they'd be sitting in business class.

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952735c8eb16326027d6e

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Really!? They'll be in the cargo hold of a private chartered plane. It's not as if they'd be sitting in business class.

👍

highlandjambo3
39 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

British soldiers will be long gone by time the last flight takes off, the Americans are the last to leave.

From bits and pieces I've picked up from various commentators today, this seems to be the situation on the ground.

You have the Taliban lines and they are letting nobody through, then it's the area where the bomb attack was and there is nobody but a few US soldiers there, then beyond that is the processing area which is patroled by US troops and is getting smaller all the time, then the airport proper, there are no AFAIK British troops on the outer perimiters of the airport, this says to me that they are due to be flown out over the week-end, leaving only American troops at the airport.

That is my understanding from the wee bits of info from different sources. 

Of course I could easily be putting 2 & 2 together and getting 97.

Yes….

my post was directed at the very last couple of flights………going to be a hairy squeaky bum type of departure IMO 

26 minutes ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Yes….

my post was directed at the very last couple of flights………going to be a hairy squeaky bum type of departure IMO 

I wouldn't be surprised that the very last plane out has Jeeps speeding down the runway after the taxing plane and driving onto the open tailgate.

2 hours ago, jambopilms said:

The last thing we need is dogs being left behind to become radicalised. 

Governor Tarkin
2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

I'd be too busy investigating Iran's history to drink. 👍

The two need not be mutually exclusive, my friend. 👍

1 hour ago, jambopilms said:

He has raised over £200k and had chartered a plane, so he's not taking up space on a military plane, at least that was the original plan, however with yesterday's events that might have changed. The plane they had chartered was in the air yesterday but had to turn around when the bombs went off, they were going to try and charter another plane, I don't know if they have managed to do so.

Mr Farthing, his staff & the animals are at the airport right now and are waiting on a flight out.

I hope no British troops were put in danger getting Mr. Farthing to the airport, because yesterday the Taliban had refused to allow his staff to leave, that has obviously changed, but also after the bomb attack, Mr. Farthing & co had went back to the rescue centre last night, I presume it was from there that they left earlier to drive to the airport.

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Suspect quoite a few human beings would like to be in the cargo hold of any jet. Tne sentimentalist shit about dumb animals sickens me.

Francis Albert
1 minute ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Without sentimentality, we are machines.

Sentimentality directed at cats and dogs rather than human beings makes us less than machines. Machines don't know better. 

Governor Tarkin
4 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Sentimentality directed at cats and dogs rather than human beings makes us less than machines. Machines don't know better. 

The two need not be mutually exclusive Francis, and a bad machine doesn't know that he's a bad machine.

Edited by Governor Tarkin

The Real Maroonblood
17 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Suspect quoite a few human beings would like to be in the cargo hold of any jet. Tne sentimentalist shit about dumb animals sickens me.

Some Humans are dumber than animals as Kickback would show you.

Your post proves it.

Edited by The Real Maroonblood

Francis Albert
7 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Some Humans are dumber than animals as Kickback would show you.

Your post proves it.

So you think savng cats and dogs 

should take priority?

And which animals have posted on JKB?

Edited by Francis Albert

Jeffros Furios
15 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

But the bad machine doesn't know its a bad machine .

My original point still stands with me, I am fed up of hearing about Pen and his animals plight considering everything that is going on around him. Getting far too much air time.

32 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Dumb humans think they're special. Well charter your own plane. Or should everything receive help.

Personally, I'd save my cat and dog, if it cost me my life.