*** Official Heart Of Midlothian versus Inverness Caledonian Thistle match thread ***

cookieboy

I didn't see today's match but describing a win as a mega-fail when we apparently had a bunch of chances we didn't finish seems odd, I am anxious to see how we get on in our return to the SPL and for now am cautiously optimistic! This site might become more toxic than normal if we don't get off on the right foot vs celtic, take a deep breath folks!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sadj

• Hearts007

• Cruyff

• neilnunb

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

Was mceneff injured today? Felt gnando didn’t take his opportunity today. Did create plenty of chances but not clinical enough 

Service wasn’t great, again and Ridgers made a couple of good saves. Telling when he had his run first half and shot across the keeper absolutely no-one busting a gut for a square ball

Played well in patches today need to be far more clinical Halkett did not look at ease far from convinced with Gnando and middle of the park is a big concern also beginning to think Robbie does not rate McAneff

kingantti1874
2 minutes ago, 4marsbars said:

We won the league easily with a massive goal difference, but you omitted that. Not sure why. Presumably, you wanted us to be promoted?

Any manager would have got us promoted 

Vlad the impaler
37 minutes ago, Boris5115 said:

We have played no one of note yet and we're easily turned over by a mediocre Sunderland team. Doesn't bear well going forward in my opinion. Of course I want us to succeed but with Neilson at the helm I think we are pissing against the wind. 

40 minutes ago, Tasavallan said:

MEGA FAILS.

Neilson = Southgate.  Requirements as a head coach / manager are easy 

At least Gareth shouldered the blame for his bad decisions.  Nelson will never. 

I want Neilson gone.  I never believed I would say that but he is minus a clue.  Do not waste a season.  Do not waste half a season.  Just do it, Mrs Budge.

Both posts are spot on. Iv made the same comparison to my fellow hearts supporting mates with Southgate. Both not  good enough coaches to take good players(especially attacking ones) and improve them. And we’ve played 2 teams at championship level and Sunderland til now. The rest we’ve played we should be beating every day of the week. We drew with ayr and got beat from Sunderland. We won 1-0 today. We’ll struggle in top league,nothings changed 

Slagging off Neilson is a total waste of energy at present.  He had his first failure today with us not being seeded but it will have to get a lot worse than that for him to be shown the door.

I'm pinning faith on James Anderson being on the board.  If we revert to eye bleeding, surely he will demand a change.

14 minutes ago, Sertse said:

I'm absolutely positive that's exactly how it would play out. When Stendel (groan, yes I know) wanted to make changes he was told no and she ended up sacking him without so much as letting him know. He wanted to run the club like a football club. Didn't get the results obviously but she didn't like it one bit he wasn't a yes man and thought the vanity project pish was, pish. She's probably looking at a contract extension for boab.

Stendel didn't stand a chance, bud.

Inherited a feckin bomb site and the bombers were all still there.

Employing him, showing him around...

If Levein had nothing to do with Ann's "Stendel out/Robbie in" decision last Summer I'll eat my hat.

Well, my cap.

Jambo 4 Ever

Surprised how many people weren’t wearing masks - this was one of the conditions of having fans back so we must do this 

Edited by Jambo 4 Ever

1 minute ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Surprised how many people weren’t wearing masks - this was one conditions of having fans back so we must do this 

I admire your commitment to your one subject. 

Woefully short of a central defender both Halkett and Popesco have mistakes in them.

Lightweight up front for SPL will miss Naismith intelligent play.

Questions also in midfield.

Hope im wrong but cant see a top fix finish this season.

7 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Surprised how many people weren’t wearing masks - this was one of the conditions of having fans back so we must do this 

Did you grass folk up? 🤭

Jambo 4 Ever
6 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Did you grass folk up? 🤭

Not yet 

but I did ask 2 people to put their mask on and they apologised and then did so 

1 hour ago, Hearts007 said:

were never in danger of losing that game today imo

The had a couple of good chances…a bit more quality and it could have been a very different game.

2 hours ago, 3fingersreid said:

As I said players need to step up but the man in charge cannot inspire 

100% correct , 

Is it the drink ?

Aussie Jambo

Just curious but what changes would you make to our current squad? I’m seriously worried about playing better opposition in the SPL. No offence but I’m thinking we are not good enough nor going to fair well at all and as per our last SPL venture sit at the bottom most of the season. We are seriously missing players to play in the SPL. Look at any Championship team in England. Soon as they go up they know they have to buy players to compete against much better established opposition. 

We sorry to say are currently a Championship team that won’t beat majority of the current SPL teams. We do have a handful of decent players but the likes of Popescu. How’s that useless dick still in a maroon jersey? When are we seeing new players coming in? The start is looming and we can count on one hand our new players 

We will see how bad our season will be against Smeltic. Im not looking forward to that opening game at all. Then St Midden who we have to beat and then Aberdeen. Anyone else worried? I’m no clapper but I’ am a realist. Rant over. 😉

image.gif.4396f061614316f36748dc111b250ed6.gif

Jambo 4 Ever
3 minutes ago, Aussie Jambo said:

Just curious but what changes would you make to our current squad? I’m seriously worried about playing better opposition in the SPL. No offence but I’m thinking we are not good enough nor going to fair well at all and as per our last SPL venture sit at the bottom most of the season. We are seriously missing players to play in the SPL. Look at any Championship team in England. Soon as they go up they know they have to buy players to compete against much better established opposition. 

We sorry to say are currently a Championship team that won’t beat majority of the current SPL teams. We do have a handful of decent players but the likes of Popescu. How’s that useless dick still in a maroon jersey? When are we seeing new players coming in? The start is looming and we can count on one hand our new players 

We will see how bad our season will be against Smeltic. Im not looking forward to that opening game at all. Then St Midden who we have to beat and then Aberdeen. Anyone else worried? I’m no clapper but I’ am a realist. Rant over. 😉

Maybe there are no players good enough that want to come to us just now 

Aussie Jambo
3 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Maybe there are no players good enough that want to come to us just now 

In the current climate true. But FFS we’ve been here before and found players to come. But quite possibly it’s players not wanting to play under the current regime. Which I wouldn’t  blame them. Budge, Levein & Nielson have set us back years. Look at the Romanov era. We got the players and we did excellent. You gotta speculate to accumulate 

Smoked-Glass
42 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Not yet 

but I did ask 2 people to put their mask on and they apologised and then did so 

You shouldn't need to put the mask on outside once your in your seat. 

Similar with restaurants and pubs once you are seated, and that can be inside. 

8 hours ago, sadj said:

I think we are but I like most have concerns.  We have creativity we have the ability to draw teams out , two things we struggled with last year. We are overly reliant on a couple of players and dont have enough depth. We have brainfarts at the back and that worries me. However I think the football being played is far better than past season. All these wahhh pass it back and around people don’t watch much football. Many teams do it and then they use the space once teams try to come out. Last season teams just didnt come out. Our transitional phase is much quicker and had Ridgers not been in form wed have smashed ICT today in a way I dont think weve beaten a team in a long time. We are being more professional and that will piss a lot off as its not the flair of Easter Road myth but if we can continue to win amd play to our strengths not worry about opponents we will have a decent season. 

I mostly agree but, as you said, there are concerns. As well as the ones you mentioned I do think we end up holding the ball too long in our own half. I’m not talking about moves breaking down and having to start again from Halkett or Gordon, I’m talking about players not finding space to receive a forward pass and sometimes players not spotting the opportunity for a forward pass and passing along the back line. It’s every game and it’s going to cause us problems against better sides.

We’ve come a long way from Berra punt to Uche though but still needs improvement. 

7 hours ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

You weren’t even there. Everybody knows this charade you insist on playing. 

1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

I mostly agree but, as you said, there are concerns. As well as the ones you mentioned I do think we end up holding the ball too long in our own half. I’m not talking about moves breaking down and having to start again from Halkett or Gordon, I’m talking about players not finding space to receive a forward pass and sometimes players not spotting the opportunity for a forward pass and passing along the back line. It’s every game and it’s going to cause us problems against better sides.

We’ve come a long way from Berra punt to Uche though but still needs improvement. 

Yeah , i think thats fair comment , how the ball is used is the key to if its too long faffing around at the back. 

Better sides will still sit off. Its when teams get in our face and we are forced to make the ball do the work and quickly find those gaps to exploit that we will be able to tell how much we have improved. 

1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

You weren’t even there. Everybody knows this charade you insist on playing. 

Haha I was going to write the same but then my client arrived and I clean forgot about it until your response there 🤣

On a less controversial note than JiH claiming to know where Tynie is im now finished work for the day 👌🏻

8 hours ago, martoon said:

Stendel didn't stand a chance, bud.

Inherited a feckin bomb site and the bombers were all still there.

Employing him, showing him around...

If Levein had nothing to do with Ann's "Stendel out/Robbie in" decision last Summer I'll eat my hat.

Well, my cap.

I'd wager that Levein still whispers in her ear. They're good friends apparently and meet up a lot. The Levein rot will stay as long as she's here and don't forget, RN was a prodigy of Levein. 

sandylejambo

I was at the game and even though it was better than a lot of the dross we suffered last season, there was still worrying signs from the team. Lack of energy was the biggest worry, it is the managers job to have the team motivated, for the first two thirds of the game we were just going through the motions.

55 minutes ago, sadj said:

Haha I was going to write the same but then my client arrived and I clean forgot about it until your response there 🤣

On a less controversial note than JiH claiming to know where Tynie is im now finished work for the day 👌🏻

Lucky bugger. I just started at 6:30 🙁

3fingersreid
7 hours ago, johnthomas said:

Is it the drink ?

No , I’m teetotal . I have my opinion you have yours .

When he returned I’d hoped we’d get the neilson that was at the beginning of his first spell at Hearts , sadly we didn’t ( it’s noticeable that the clubs he left before returning ,not very many supporters were sorry to see him leave ) .

He should’ve went after the Brora game for me . 

His teams are too slow in moving the ball forward , our goal came from a long kick up the park ( they aren’t always hoofs) a header won by Gnando, picked up by Boyce who was close to him ( if only that was the case more often) then a quick pass to Walker who had one touch then bang . Why can’t we try that more often ? 

I get it we’re not beaten yet but even given the state of celtic at the minute I don’t really fancy our chances through there with this team . We’ve had better teams with better managers go there and lose comfortably , I’d wager that in my lifetime I’ve seen around 10 victories through there . There’s always hope but ……. 

Nookie Bear
7 hours ago, Aussie Jambo said:

Bit harsh. We have plenty of players of SPL quality and to pick out a player - Popescu - who is not a starter is unfair. 

For me, it’s the midfield that needs attention. We need someone who can pull the strings and make things happen in the final third. 

4 minutes ago, 3fingersreid said:

When he returned I’d hoped we’d get the neilson that was at the beginning of his first spell at Hearts , sadly we didn’t ( it’s noticeable that the clubs he left before returning ,not very many supporters were sorry to see him leave ) .

His teams are too slow in moving the ball forward , our goal came from a long kick up the park ( they aren’t always hoofs) a header won by Gnando, picked up by Boyce who was close to him ( if only that was the case more often) then a quick pass to Walker who had one touch then bang . Why can’t we try that more often ? 

I get it we’re not beaten yet but even given the state of celtic at the minute I don’t really fancy our chances through there with this team . We’ve had better teams with better managers go there and lose comfortably , I’d wager that in my lifetime I’ve seen around 10 victories through there . There’s always hope but ……. 

In the interview posted a couple months ago with one of the board members (I think) they said that the reason RN wasn't sacked was it would cause too much disruption to the team. They said it wasn't good enough.

What boggles my mind is how they decided he wasn't good enough and shouldn't be there but kept him on and are now giving him ANOTHER window to which he has signed a shite goalie, Ginnelly and Cochrane were both Savage signings apparently. 3 windows to get it right and we still don't look strong enough for the premiership, or at least a top 6 finish. No signings, tactics that fall apart when missing Souttar or Boyce. His signings have included Popescu, Roberts and Frear. 

He should have been emptied when we were promoted. I suspect it's Ann holding on to him. Does anyone think Savage actually rates him?

Rogue Daddy
54 minutes ago, Sertse said:

In the interview posted a couple months ago with one of the board members (I think) they said that the reason RN wasn't sacked was it would cause too much disruption to the team. They said it wasn't good enough.

What boggles my mind is how they decided he wasn't good enough and shouldn't be there but kept him on and are now giving him ANOTHER window to which he has signed a shite goalie, Ginnelly and Cochrane were both Savage signings apparently. 3 windows to get it right and we still don't look strong enough for the premiership, or at least a top 6 finish. No signings, tactics that fall apart when missing Souttar or Boyce. His signings have included Popescu, Roberts and Frear. 

He should have been emptied when we were promoted. I suspect it's Ann holding on to him. Does anyone think Savage actually rates him?

Missed that interview… do you have a link? 
I think he was certainly given some sort of ultimatum (not ITK, just a hunch.) There was plenty of chat on here how RN had a meeting (showdown?) after the Brora & QoS games, with JS… and all of a sudden, we were playing 3 at the back and winning without conceding. 
I wonder if he was ‘told’ to start playing players in their proper positions as there was definite, immediate improvement. 
… although, Boyce seemed to be some sort of midfielder yesterday 🤷‍♂️ so who knows!

There’s obviously a lot of fans who regardless of what Neilson does won’t support the club whilst he’s there.

Would it not be easier for these fans to just stay away from the club/ forums whilst he remains at the club? It’s clearly not healthy.

This isn’t a dig but it just seems a bit pointless and repetitive. It also brings out the posters who are making out that last season was an overwhelming success, which is also tedious.

30 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Missed that interview… do you have a link? 
I think he was certainly given some sort of ultimatum (not ITK, just a hunch.) There was plenty of chat on here how RN had a meeting (showdown?) after the Brora & QoS games, with JS… and all of a sudden, we were playing 3 at the back and winning without conceding. 
I wonder if he was ‘told’ to start playing players in their proper positions as there was definite, immediate improvement. 
… although, Boyce seemed to be some sort of midfielder yesterday 🤷‍♂️ so who knows!

I'll try to find it, it was definitely insightful

Rogue Daddy
6 minutes ago, Sertse said:

I'll try to find it, it was definitely insightful

Cheers 👍

I'm backing him to the hilt because I've no one else to back but I can't help feel he's even making JKB boring.  There's just never any news.  We're not even allowed to know about injury recoveries in case Barcelona find out.

I hate the word weird but it's getting really weird.

Don't suppose I'm allowed to know if Souttar's inury is mild, serious or terminal.

1 hour ago, Nookie Bear said:

Bit harsh. We have plenty of players of SPL quality and to pick out a player - Popescu - who is not a starter is unfair. 

For me, it’s the midfield that needs attention. We need someone who can pull the strings and make things happen in the final third. 

It's almost impossible to tell that with the way we play, nothing at all goes through the middle of the park, now you could say that's because midfield isn't good enough but they're not being given the chance to show it either way. 

Our patterns of play are so predictable, teams will soon figure out there is no point in marking anyone in the centre circle and that their midfield can go and double up to close down our wide players

1 hour ago, 3fingersreid said:

Point being you and others referred to team continually going backwards yesterday . The stats prove that to be wrong 

Some of the many chances we created came after really good play .

Not Neilson's biggest fan but he can hardly be blamed for players not finishing these moves off and ICT goalie doing so well

Holyrood_Hearts
11 hours ago, Boris5115 said:

Yes I can. Worst result in the clubs history end of. 

“end of” 

Talk about toys out the pram 😂

24 minutes ago, Mr Rabbit said:

There’s obviously a lot of fans who regardless of what Neilson does won’t support the club whilst he’s there.

Would it not be easier for these fans to just stay away from the club/ forums whilst he remains at the club? It’s clearly not healthy.

This isn’t a dig but it just seems a bit pointless and repetitive. It also brings out the posters who are making out that last season was an overwhelming success, which is also tedious.

I agree. 

Either everything is amazing or everything is embarrassing. Neilson/the club can do no right or everything they do is wrong. 

I actually think it's somewhere in the middle. Neilson is generally ok but you always feel we are capable of more. Yesterday an example, score 2 goals against Inverness to give us an easier draw, we just fall short. 

Rogue Daddy
3 minutes ago, Ribble said:

It's almost impossible to tell that with the way we play, nothing at all goes through the middle of the park, now you could say that's because midfield isn't good enough but they're not being given the chance to show it either way. 

Our patterns of play are so predictable, teams will soon figure out there is no point in marking anyone in the centre circle and that their midfield can go and double up to close down our wide players

Its a good point... by the end of the game we had so many forwards/wingers on, I didn't know where any of them were supposed to be. Don't get me wrong, I thought we done well yesterday and created lots of chances - unfortunately, Ridgers had a great day in goal.

I quite liked listening to McInnes yesterday also, he pointed out that our wingers weren't getting the space to run at their full backs because of our wingbacks... it was all getting a bit congested - which was a fair point. I also liked his dig at the 'warm balls' ensuring the uglies got home matches in the draw afterwards!... quite like the 'cut-of-his-jib!'.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Got home late last night and watched it through. Keeper who is usually suspect has had a day out. I said during the Cove game it would come back to haunt us, and the draw unsurprisingly booted us in the balls again.

Performances in this group have been pretty good in truth, the worrying aspect, the goals tally could easily have been 14 or 15 and it wasnt. 

Saturday gives us a clearer picture still, strength in depth still the worry, but we have played probably 6/10 the 2 away games and 7/10 the 2 home ones. For Saturday that needs to head North to 9/10, plenty guys here who know their football, its a different game with Celtic coming onto us. 

2 things for me out of this stage, firstly we need to be ruthless to succeed and we do need a player in each area of the field to give us back up

Ex member of the SaS

Not read the whole thread but here goes. I was seriously worried last season and hoped that once the job was done Robbie would be more adventurous in his play. Watching that last night and I am seriously worried again that the two games against Celtic will show how poor we really are. The passing between defenders is annoying and ruins the game. We need more forward movement and needless to say much much quicker. I lost count of the number of passes between the defense and our play is so predictable. Watched the Hibs and Sheep euro games the other night and I am afraid to say both will give us a pounding.

I supported Budge and Robbie at first but it soon became clear they are not right for a top flight football team.

Ex member of the SaS
9 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Got home late last night and watched it through. Keeper who is usually suspect has had a day out. I said during the Cove game it would come back to haunt us, and the draw unsurprisingly booted us in the balls again.

Performances in this group have been pretty good in truth, the worrying aspect, the goals tally could easily have been 14 or 15 and it wasnt. 

Saturday gives us a clearer picture still, strength in depth still the worry, but we have played probably 6/10 the 2 away games and 7/10 the 2 home ones. For Saturday that needs to head North to 9/10, plenty guys here who know their football, its a different game with Celtic coming onto us. 

2 things for me out of this stage, firstly we need to be ruthless to succeed and we do need a player in each area of the field to give us back up

We had this last season with the " different game with team coming on to us " and are you seriously thinking our defense will cope with Celtic? Do you seriously think that passing between defenders will change and we will hit on the break? One striker on the box will not score against premiership teams ( well they will but not often enough to count ). We need faster more accurate passing going forward and we have not seen any sign of that in the games so far. We also need forwards who can control the ball and hit the target without having to line up a shot before hand. 

Rogue Daddy
2 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

We had this last season with the " different game with team coming on to us " and are you seriously thinking our defense will cope with Celtic? Do you seriously think that passing between defenders will change and we will hit on the break? One striker on the box will not score against premiership teams ( well they will but not often enough to count ). We need faster more accurate passing going forward and we have not seen any sign of that in the games so far. We also need forwards who can control the ball and hit the target without having to line up a shot before hand. 

This is actually a bug-bear of mine also - take a first time (instinctive) shot and the same can be said for crossing - especially when we have someone like big Nando up front. Taking a touch can sometimes give defenders just that split second to recover or goalkeepers time to position themselves. A lot of the time I see it as a confidence (or lack of) trait... similar to taking 50 passes before going forward - it's almost like a complete fear of losing possession.

Obviously, it's not applicable all of the time, but we should be seeing more first time shots/crosses IMO... I only remember 1 first time cross yesterday (Gino from the left) which nearly led to a goal.

Maroon Sailor

I think most Hearts fans thought we were capable of scoring at least 2 against Inverness.

Miss out on a seed and to rub salt in to the wound we get drawn away to one of the soap dodgers.

Just seems to go like that for Hearts.

Having said that the draw came as no surprise to me. Might as well glue the Hearts ball and the Celtic ball together in these draws

3fingersreid
57 minutes ago, johnthomas said:

Point being you and others referred to team continually going backwards yesterday . The stats prove that to be wrong 

Some of the many chances we created came after really good play .

Not Neilson's biggest fan but he can hardly be blamed for players not finishing these moves off and ICT goalie doing so well

Point being as I said in my first post the players also need to step up . 
Ridgers is a very competent keeper.

We knew what was needed before the game , we were too slow IMO . 
I agree there were a few excellent passing passages of play the best being the one where GMS had a cheeky wee back heel to Henderson , a move that was done with pace .

All I ask is more pace when in the opponents half 

Harry Potter
48 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Our goal came from outside the box, we need to start hitting more shots from outside the box instead of playing 

the ball to the 6 yard box then play breaking down.

16 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

I think most Hearts fans thought we were capable of scoring at least 2 against Inverness.

Miss out on a seed and to rub salt in to the wound we get drawn away to one of the soap dodgers.

Just seems to go like that for Hearts.

Having said that the draw came as no surprise to me. Might as well glue the Hearts ball and the Celtic ball together in these draws

We can't blame anyone else for this it is typical Hearts.  It doesn't seem to matter what players we have and we have had plenty over the last 5/6 years we seem to throw away our big chances.

We were a bit unlucky with a couple of the chances but our lack of invention is still there for all to see.

Celtic will be rubbing their hands at the prospect of their two games against us unless we make some major changes to the way we play and get some decent signings in.

Oh of course it would certainly help if Robbie played players in their best and natural positions and if we don'f have any youth players capable of playing for example Centre Back then why?

I read folk singing the praises of Flatman so why was he not given a chance instead of playing a left wing back at CB?