Scottish Clubs in Europe

Footballfirst

Bazzas right boot

If rangers win the tournament (looking at the teams left, it's not beyond the realms of possibility), they get automatic qualification for the ucl. 

If they done that and celtic won the league does 3rd place in the league get the 2nd place ucl spot.... 

:profit:

Edited by Bazzas right boot

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• neilnunb

• Mikey1874

• sadj

• Hearts007

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, mickycameron98 said:

None of these teams are left in it. 

They are. They were already in the next round by virtue of winning their group, the games last night were a play-off between CL drop downs and EL group runners up to see who joins them. 

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

Up to and including Chelsea?

Chelsea are an English team. 

4 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

I was wondering if there was another competition they'd be parachuted into and I'm only half joking.

Bring back the Intertoto Cup!

3 hours ago, Bazzas right boot said:

If rangers win the tournament (looking at the teams left, it's not beyond the realms of possibility), they get automatic qualification for the ucl. 

If they done that and celtic won the league does 3rd place in the league get the 2nd place ucl spot.... 

:profit:

That would be the case I think with both Rangers and Celtic going directly into the Group Stage and 3rd place going in at the 2nd Qualifying round.

However should Russian teams be unable to participate, coefficient wise we'd become the 10th ranked nation and in with an outside change of catching 9th place Austria who only have LASK left in the conference league, 9th would bump us up from 2nd qualifying round to 3rd.

6 minutes ago, Ribble said:

That would be the case I think with both Rangers and Celtic going directly into the Group Stage and 3rd place going in at the 2nd Qualifying round.

However should Russian teams be unable to participate, coefficient wise we'd become the 10th ranked nation and in with an outside change of catching 9th place Austria who only have LASK left in the conference league, 9th would bump us up from 2nd qualifying round to 3rd.

No, in that scenario both would go into the group stage, but we wouldn't get an extra place, there are only two places available to Scottish sides.

If you go back to 2012, Chelsea won the UCL after finishing 6th in the EPL.  This qualified them for the following season's UCL group stages, at the expense of Spurs, who had finished 4th in the league but went into the Europa League group stages instead.

8 minutes ago, RobNox said:

No, in that scenario both would go into the group stage, but we wouldn't get an extra place, there are only two places available to Scottish sides.

If you go back to 2012, Chelsea won the UCL after finishing 6th in the EPL.  This qualified them for the following season's UCL group stages, at the expense of Spurs, who had finished 4th in the league but went into the Europa League group stages instead.

You are right, would only be 3 teams if Rangers won the Europa league but then finished outside the top 2, like last season villareal who won the Europa League but finished 7th in la liga were awarded a CL group place for this season and Spain's top 4 all still qualified

1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

Rangers v Red Star Belgrade

Unfortunately, that's probably the draw they were hoping for. 

Red Star, Spartak and Galatasary would have been the teams they were wanting. Nowhere near as good as they used to be. 

9 minutes ago, tian447 said:

Unfortunately, that's probably the draw they were hoping for. 

Red Star, Spartak and Galatasary would have been the teams they were wanting. Nowhere near as good as they used to be. 

TBF they just knocked out the tournament's clear favourites scoring 6 goals in the process.

Maybe they're entitled to look to avoid the bigger guns this time.

For me watching Rangers over the two games was the perfect example of raising your game to match and outscore the opposition. You could see how fired up Rangers were - they knew they had to be to stand a chance against the tournament favourites .

The parallel in our league is the need for teams to raise they're game against the old firm but when you're playing each of them maybe four times a season over familiarity sets in and the tendency isn't to go toe to toe with them and get them rattled. Mght be more inclined to happen if teams were only playing them twice a season.

Must admit I looked forward to the big clashes much more in days of old because they didn't happen as often.

14 minutes ago, Chillidigits said:

For me watching Rangers over the two games was the perfect example of raising your game to match and outscore the opposition. You could see how fired up Rangers were - they knew they had to be to stand a chance against the tournament favourites .

The parallel in our league is the need for teams to raise they're game against the old firm but when you're playing each of them maybe four times a season over familiarity sets in and the tendency isn't to go toe to toe with them and get them rattled. Mght be more inclined to happen if teams were only playing them twice a season.

Must admit I looked forward to the big clashes much more in days of old because they didn't happen as often.

You're absolutely right but the other side of that is by definition you have more games that are less interesting in between. 

6 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

I was wondering if there was another competition they'd be parachuted into and I'm only half joking.

We will most likely use the parachute route next season. Personally I’ll have no difficulty with it.

Ex member of the SaS
51 minutes ago, Chillidigits said:

The problem is Scottish managers who have this fear of the " OF". They seem to think that keeping a clean sheet for the first 20 minutes is winning the league. Until other teams go up against the bigot twins with a view to winning, or at least taking the game to them, nothing will change. Even Robbie won't attack them ( or any other team it seems ) 

Just now, Ex member of the SaS said:

The problem is Scottish managers who have this fear of the " OF". They seem to think that keeping a clean sheet for the first 20 minutes is winning the league. Until other teams go up against the bigot twins with a view to winning, or at least taking the game to them, nothing will change. Even Robbie won't attack them ( or any other team it seems ) 

👏👏👏

47 minutes ago, Hmfc1965 said:

You're absolutely right but the other side of that is by definition you have more games that are less interesting in between. 

I think there will always be varying degrees of interest in any league set up . However it seemed to me that in the league set up where a larger number of teams played each other twice firstly the interest was sustained to a certain extent because of the lack of over familiarity, secondly when the top of table fixtures or old firm or derbies came along ultra high interest and anticipation and thirdly Hearts were not bad at putting the lower teams firmly in their place which meant for them it wasn't all that interesting I'll admit but who cares because for us it was.

35 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Well two great examples of teams raising their game , both involving Rangers and Celtic. That Norwegian lot by no means a big budget team but fantastically well drilled to be able to wipe the floor with 'Tic. Every Scottish non OF manager should be replaying that tie to their players.

10 hours ago, Angel eyes said:

1-E5-AF024-7939-4-DCF-85-D8-901260082-F7
Celtic the first team ever to be knocked out of every European competition in one season……

Can we make a song up about that. 

In 22!   Midtjlland, Leverkusen, Bodo/Glimt!  Left Celtic very skint!  They showed them how to play!  With no help from the SFA. 

Something like that ☺ 

• 2 weeks later...
maroonlegions
1 minute ago, JimmyCant said:

Another big game for Rangers tonight.

Thoughts ?

Dont care. That's my thoughts on it.

:greggy:

2 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Thoughts ?

One of those games where you think, after beating Dortmund, they'll do OK.

1-2 !

👍

Easily the best draw that Rangers could've got but won't be easy, and got a feeling Red Star will trip them up over the 2 legs.

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Thoughts ?

I hope they get f*****.

22 minutes ago, maroonlegions said:

Dont care. That's my thoughts on it.

:greggy:

Hope they lose 5-0. That's my thoughts on it.

HeartsandonlyHearts
30 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Thoughts ?

Hope they get their @$$e$ felt 37-0

Its time Bon Accord got a break.

Edited by HeartsandonlyHearts

penalty surely. 

after last night's porto lyon game anything is possible.   shambles of a Referee. 

on replay I'm saying Kent stuck his foot out for a dive. 

Edited by HMFC01

skinnybob72

Kent once again running towards a defender and then throwing a leg against the defender and falling over. Never a penalty in a million years. Cheating Kent.

HeartsandonlyHearts
Just now, skinnybob72 said:

Kent once again running towards a defender and then throwing a leg against the defender and falling over. Never a penalty in a million years. Cheating Kent.

World class cheating Kent don’t you know.

ToadKiller Dog

Feck off another offside ,the orcs must love Var .

And that wasn't a penalty .

Edited by ToadKiller Dog

Horrific decision just shows it’s not just Scottish refs that are absolutely shite. And don’t get me started on Alex Rae. Slavering helmet 

HeartsandonlyHearts
Just now, 132goals1958 said:

I thought Kent actually kicked the defender 

I’m not watching but it was never a penalty. 

Footballfirst
2 minutes ago, skinnybob72 said:

Also with him mis-controlling the ball and it going 90 degrees to his direction of travel.