Grand Slam Tennis ( updated )

Maroon Sailor

Nookie Bear
34 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

Raducanu v Boulter won't be hard to watch, assuming Emma can beat off Wang. 

:oohmatron:

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• neilnunb

• I P Knightley

• ri Alban

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I P Knightley
2 hours ago, Gizmo said:

Raducanu v Boulter won't be hard to watch, assuming Emma can beat off Wang. 

Now that she's reinforced her wrists, you'd hope that that would be a formality.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
2 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

Now that she's reinforced her wrists, you'd hope that that would be a formality.

let’s hope Emma’s wrist rebuild is more successful than the Laura Robson’s 😔 

what a player Laura robson was and could have been often overlooked due to her beauty and cheeky personality

it was funny and well meaning when other players used to go ffs Laura what are you up to now like she was some sort of dafty while she was much higher ranked than them and  heading further up the ranks until injury struck 😔 

comon emaaaaaaaaaaa 🇬🇧 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 🇬🇧

Wozniacki out 👍

Fernandez out 👍👍

Jabeur out 👍👍👍

Edited by neilnunb

Djoko 2-1 up with break in the 4th. Should be fine now.

Defo a bit rusty so far this tourney though. 

I P Knightley
59 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Djoko 2-1 up with break in the 4th. Should be fine now.

Defo a bit rusty so far this tourney though. 

He needs to have a couple of 'formality' wins against Etcheverry and then Mannarino/Shelton to start exuding that air of invincibility that will help him when Fritz/Shitsispants and, particularly, Sinner come calling. 

53 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

He needs to have a couple of 'formality' wins against Etcheverry and then Mannarino/Shelton to start exuding that air of invincibility that will help him when Fritz/Shitsispants and, particularly, Sinner come calling. 

I haven't been following the thread.  Has Djokovic not won it yet?

8 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

I haven't been following the thread.  Has Djokovic not won it yet?

In theory, yes.  Just going through the motions until the presentation. 😁

6 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

In theory, yes.  Just going through the motions until the presentation. 😁

I suppose they can't just invite him over and hand him the trophy.  People who've paid for tickets might be annoyed. :biggrin:

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

Yeo he’s like a rusty old engine just getting into gear ! 

Rudi Skacel
2 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Yeo he’s like a rusty old engine just getting into gear ! 

just to check, do you understand the format of this tournament?

Looking bad for Raducanu. Draper and Boulter already out today too.

Norrie through after a struggle though.

Back to normality for the Brits. 😐

JudyJudyJudy
43 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Looking bad for Raducanu. Draper and Boulter already out today too.

Norrie through after a struggle though.

Back to normality for the Brits. 😐

Least one of my bets came up .  Tommy Paul . Won £6 whoop to do 

7 minutes ago, PortyJambo said:

Raducanu putting up a fight at least, wins the 2nd set to take it to a decider

Yeah, could easily have let the head go down especially missing lots of break/set points.

Hopefully her fitness holds up in the third set. 

9 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Least one of my bets came up .  Tommy Paul . Won £6 whoop to do 

😁  don't spend it all at once, James. 

MoncurMacdonaldMercer

☹️

hopefully comes out this injury free 😃👍

Edited by MoncurMacdonaldMercer

Fitness still an issue but to be expected after so long out. At least she showed some fight.

Nookie Bear

Ostapenko bagels Tomljanovic in first set.

My bet is she loses second set 1-6 because she s the ultimate hot/cold player

AlimOzturk

Women’s tennis not been the same since the Williams sisters retired. 

I P Knightley
4 hours ago, neilnunb said:

Fitness still an issue but to be expected after so long out. At least she showed some fight.

She's got some potential which, if she knuckles down, could see her knocking on the door of the top 200 in the rankings. 

Just now, I P Knightley said:

She's got some potential which, if she knuckles down, could see her knocking on the door of the top 200 in the rankings. 

🤣 naughty

I P Knightley
Just now, neilnunb said:

11usopen-womens-final-raducanu-wins1-articleLarge.jpg

"This is all mine and I'm never, ever, ever going to let anyone take it from me."

"Oh. Alright, then."

JudyJudyJudy
4 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

IMG_6562.jpeg

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

3 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Just a shame that she didn't cling onto her coach at the time as hard as she clung on to that cup.

Malinga the Swinga

Radacanu will be going upwards through rankings in next few months once her match fitness returns. I reckon she's better player than Boulter and will eventually get no 1 status. Both good players though.

Neilnumb correct, she's a grand slam champion and no-one can take it away from her.

I P Knightley
2 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Women’s tennis not been the same since the Williams sisters retired. 

The difference between now and when Serena (particularly) ruled the roost is that, back then, you couldn't see her being knocked off top spot as a result of one or more players knuckling down and consistently getting the better of her or, at least, giving her a decent fight. 

The current "Big Two" (Swiatek and Sabalenka) are far from invincible and you've now got Cori Gauff making her move up the rankings to join them. The fact that you've then got Pegula, Ribena, Jabeur, Sakkari and Vondrousova, all Top 10 players, getting pumpded oot in the first or second round, all tamely in straight sets, suggests there's not the quality at the top of the game that you'd want. They're not the Big Two/Three because they play out of this world; it's because the others aren't any good. 

JudyJudyJudy
10 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

The difference between now and when Serena (particularly) ruled the roost is that, back then, you couldn't see her being knocked off top spot as a result of one or more players knuckling down and consistently getting the better of her or, at least, giving her a decent fight. 

The current "Big Two" (Swiatek and Sabalenka) are far from invincible and you've now got Cori Gauff making her move up the rankings to join them. The fact that you've then got Pegula, Ribena, Jabeur, Sakkari and Vondrousova, all Top 10 players, getting pumpded oot in the first or second round, all tamely in straight sets, suggests there's not the quality at the top of the game that you'd want. They're not the Big Two/Three because they play out of this world; it's because the others aren't any good. 

Very good analysis . 

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
3 hours ago, neilnunb said:

:sweeet:

middle-aged / old men trying to brighten up their mundane lives by posting on a backwater football forum having a go at young lassie who doesn’t need to win another point to still have her own place in tennis history

sad times - chin up lads 😃👍

well done Emma 🇬🇧🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 🇷🇴 🇨🇳 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
14 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

:sweeet:

middle-aged / old men trying to brighten up their mundane lives by posting on a backwater football forum having a go at young lassie who doesn’t need to win another point to still have her own place in tennis history

sad times - chin up lads 😃👍

well done Emma 🇬🇧🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 🇷🇴 🇨🇳 

She’s wanting credit for (barely) finishing a match :rofl: that’s how bad it’s got

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
1 hour ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

She’s wanting credit for (barely) finishing a match :rofl: that’s how bad it’s got

come on mate she’s just came back from serious injury the results of which is still to be fully tested 

however good or bad people think she was she might never reach those heights (even excluding the USA open victory) again due to injury - even assuming full commitment etc a player losing a percent of mobility or power can drop them right out the picture

so well done Emma  🇬🇧 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 🇷🇴 🇨🇳 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
6 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

come on mate she’s just came back from serious injury the results of which is still to be fully tested 

however good or bad people think she was she might never reach those heights (even excluding the USA open victory) again due to injury - even assuming full commitment etc a player losing a percent of mobility or power can drop them right out the picture

I just think her general lack of stamina is pretty embarrassing to say she’s a professional athlete. Clearly doesn’t push herself hard enough 

PortyJambo
2 minutes ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

Look at Kyle Edmund, made the SF at the Aus Open a few years back and was number 14 in the world, then has had a horrendous time with injures since.  He's still trying to come back, but he's 29 now and outside the top 400, and slogging around the world trying to earn points in lower level ITF tournaments watched by one man and his dog. It must be demoralising for injuries to stop you reaching where you know you could, especially when you've been there before.

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
1 minute ago, PortyJambo said:

Look at Kyle Edmund, made the SF at the Aus Open a few years back and was number 14 in the world, then has had a horrendous time with injures since.  He's still trying to come back, but he's 29 now and outside the top 400, and slogging around the world trying to earn points in lower level ITF tournaments watched by one man and his dog. It must be demoralising for injuries to stop you reaching where you know you could, especially when you've been there before.

yeah I’m not overly familiar with his story but that’s what I mean

laura robson the same - she knew she had lost 1-2% due to injury and while no doubt she tried she probably lost another 1-2% due to lack of belief which could lead to losing even a tiny bit of effort due to ‘what’s the point’ realisation

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
6 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

I just think her general lack of stamina is pretty embarrassing to say she’s a professional athlete. Clearly doesn’t push herself hard enough 

time will tell mate - even if her injuries don’t clear 100% I agree she should be able to run about the court in forthcoming tournaments 

:lol:

JudyJudyJudy

Novak in straight sets against a possible banana skin . Good result . 

I P Knightley

Sabalenka (out of Belarus) will be getting a medal for levelling her Ukrainian opponent today. 6-0 6-0 in 52 minutes. 

I know I've had a few cheap shots at Raducanu on here but they are tongue in cheek. I'd like to see her getting into more tournaments and doing well. The US Open was a freak tournament and she played without a care in the world; it was a joy to watch. However, there is nothing particular about her game to point at and say, "That'll have Sabalenka quaking in her boots". She'll have a tough journey to get back into the top 50 but she's talking the talk at the moment. I don't think her career is helped by her father women's tennis is littered with players who could have done so much more had it not been for overbearing parents. 

I P Knightley
8 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Shelton oot 📞 

Do we dislike Shelton? 

Meanwhile, Seb Korda one of those who's been unluck with injury, has it all to do against everyone's favourite Russian, Andrey Rublev. 2 sets and a break down. Shame - I'd like to see Korda climbing the rankings; I think he has (had?) a lot of potential to get in among the top boys. 

JudyJudyJudy
Just now, I P Knightley said:

Do we dislike Shelton? 

Meanwhile, Seb Korda one of those who's been unluck with injury, has it all to do against everyone's favourite Russian, Andrey Rublev. 2 sets and a break down. Shame - I'd like to see Korda climbing the rankings; I think he has (had?) a lot of potential to get in among the top boys. 

No he was just a plonker with the telephone stick which has now bit him on the bum. 

PortyJambo

Norrie looking good to reach the 4th round for the first time at the Aus Open against Casper Ruud, up by 2 sets to 1, and 4-1 up in the 4th set. He's coming to the net a lot more than he usually does and it's working against Ruud.

JudyJudyJudy
10 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Well done Cam Norrie. 

Although Ruud is another overhyped shitebag. 😁

Rudd has had a complete arse collapse in the last year , but still a good victory for Norrie