• JudyJudyJudy

• neilnunb

• I P Knightley

• ri Alban

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I P Knightley
16 hours ago, rudi must stay said:

And the top 3 has an option of prizes. Winner - new car Runner-up new dishwasher and 3rd gets a new bicycle 

Have they done away with the speedboat? 

I P Knightley

Davis Cup this afternoon on iPlayer - GB vs Serbia.

The pairings will pitch Jack Draper with their second seed, (probably Djere) so that Norrie will be sacrified at the Djokovic altar. Draper is good enough to beat Djere but Norrie's a flake so the singles should be shared.

In the doubles, we've got two of the top 10 players with Grand Slam successes and ATP tour finals under their belts - therefore more likely to be able to tough it out if needed.

Reports are that there are around 5,000 Brits there to give it a bit of a home tie feeling.

16 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

Davis Cup this afternoon on iPlayer - GB vs Serbia.

The pairings will pitch Jack Draper with their second seed, (probably Djere) so that Norrie will be sacrified at the Djokovic altar. Draper is good enough to beat Djere but Norrie's a flake so the singles should be shared.

In the doubles, we've got two of the top 10 players with Grand Slam successes and ATP tour finals under their belts - therefore more likely to be able to tough it out if needed.

Reports are that there are around 5,000 Brits there to give it a bit of a home tie feeling.

Know a couple of guys out there watching and i'm jealous as feck.

If i had made my own way there i would have got decent hospitality thrown in for free :angry:

I P Knightley

The (Pass the) Dutchies in doubles decider with Italy, who have popped Jannick Sinner into their dubs team despite having no track record and Italy having Simone Bolelli (who's been top 10) available. Meanwhile, the Dutch have Koolhof (top 10) but left Rojer (top 20) off the court in favour of Griekspoor who is somewhere round 100 in the doubles ranking. I wonder what the logic is there? Is it that Koolhof and Rojer both prefer to receive in the deuce court or something? 

Anyway, I'm rooting for the Dutchies as I think they'd be an easier oppo should GB win later this evening. 

4 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

The (Pass the) Dutchies in doubles decider with Italy, who have popped Jannick Sinner into their dubs team despite having no track record and Italy having Simone Bolelli (who's been top 10) available. Meanwhile, the Dutch have Koolhof (top 10) but left Rojer (top 20) off the court in favour of Griekspoor who is somewhere round 100 in the doubles ranking. I wonder what the logic is there? Is it that Koolhof and Rojer both prefer to receive in the deuce court or something? 

Anyway, I'm rooting for the Dutchies as I think they'd be an easier oppo should GB win later this evening. 

Unlikely now!

At least it will shut some people up for the next few weeks. 

Dont care for the Davis cup since the format was changed. Used to enjoy the matches over a full weekend. I understand why they done it, but for me it just lost its appeal. 

• 1 month later...
JudyJudyJudy
5 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Read all about it earlier.  Same old shit from him. Can he not show any decency and humilty and acknowledge he lost a match because the opponent was better ? Hes a complete fraud. Never mind 

" these things happen" 

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

neilnunb
1 minute ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Read all about it earlier.  Same old shit from him. Can he not show any decency and humilty and acknowledge he lost a match because the opponent was better ? Hes a complete fraud. 

🤣  had a feeling you'd enjoy that, James. 😁

JudyJudyJudy
Just now, neilnunb said:

🤣  had a feeling you'd enjoy that, James. 😁

awe these things happen you know. TBF it was a 3 setter and like Novak he comes into his own in a 5 setter so ill give him that. 

JudyJudyJudy
7 hours ago, escobri said:

one for a certain poster.

image-23-10-21-12-07-1.gif

🤣 some fan giving it the "get it right up you" sign as Djoko gets broken againnin the third set.

I used to be so clued up on the tennis but completely lost touch with it the past year.

So many horrible errors from Novak.

Not happy with them letting fans go to the seats after every game either, which is being trialled. 

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, neilnunb said:

Panic over, maybe. 😁

it is. 

New Town Loafer
8 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Murray out and pretty easily too.

Shame but his race is run. Take it easy for the rest of the year, have a final go at Wimbledon and retire at home.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
3 hours ago, New Town Loafer said:

Shame but his race is run. Take it easy for the rest of the year, have a final go at Wimbledon and retire at home.

This must be the plan. One more Wimbledon outing and then face facts.

It’s been clear for a while now that it’s gone too far. A shame because he lost some peak years to injury but still an amazing career.

Probably Scotland’s greatest sports person, the Hibby wank that he is.

JudyJudyJudy
14 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Well Naomi Osaka's return didn't last long. Even Raducanu lasted longer 😁

A mate says I’m good at predicting winners at tennis . So opened up online betting account . Bet she would win and Shelton would get beat !! That’s my online gambling career finished ( but I’ll use the “ £30 free “ bets up first ) 😂😂

Edited by JudyJudyJudy

58 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

This must be the plan. One more Wimbledon outing and then face facts.

It’s been clear for a while now that it’s gone too far. A shame because he lost some peak years to injury but still an amazing career.

Probably Scotland’s greatest sports person, the Hibby wank that he is.

I beg to differ.

jocky-wilson-from-his-time-in-the-north-

JudyJudyJudy
20 minutes ago, redjambo said:

I beg to differ.

jocky-wilson-from-his-time-in-the-north-

Still can’t beat this classic moment 

2 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Still can’t beat this classic moment 

:D Someone with a sense of humour on the TOTP production team.

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, redjambo said:

:D Someone with a sense of humour on the TOTP production team.

Yep 👍 😂😂

I P Knightley
On 14/01/2024 at 10:50, Homme said:

I used to be so clued up on the tennis but completely lost touch with it the past year.

I'm not ready for the Aussie Open to have started. I could have done with it being a week or two later this year. I've only had the quickest of quick looks at the draw. Saw that Djoko cut it fine against a player half his age; Murray's all but announced that he'll jack it in this year. 

Britain has five players inside the top 100 for the first time in a while. Liam Broady's not getting a shot in Melbourne; Murray's been pumpded oot; Dan Evans, if he gets through the 1st round will then meet Alcaraz; Cam Norrie had a real loss of form in the second half of last year, so I'm not holding out much hope - which leaves Jack Draper as our best hope. He made the final in last week's warm-up tournament and let a lead slip but he appears to be building his confidence. Could be a good year for him if he stays free of injury. 

Round2Can'tDo is up against Shelby Rogers, who's one of the ones she beat when heading towards her fluke US Open. She's changed coach (surprise, surprise), going back to one of the ones she discarded a while ago. I think it's my turn to be her coach from mid-April to the end of May. 

Oh - and I noticed in the doubles that Neal Skupski and Wesley Koolhof have parted company and are in the draw with new partners. I don't know how doubles teaming works but those two were at the top of the ranking last year so maybe one of them fingered the other one's missus. The only reason I can think of. 

Edited by I P Knightley

PortyJambo
1 hour ago, I P Knightley said:

Round2Can'tDo is up against Shelby Rogers, who's one of the ones she beat when heading towards her fluke US Open. She's changed coach (surprise, surprise), going back to one of the ones she discarded a while ago. I think it's my turn to be her coach from mid-April to the end of May. 

You must be a great coach if she's keeping you on for that long...

I noticed she withdrew from a couple of pre Aus Open exhibition matches, citing that she was feeling sore from training. Not a good sign for her ability to play week-to-week on the tour!

PortyJambo
1 hour ago, I P Knightley said:

Britain has five players inside the top 100 for the first time in a while. Liam Broady's not getting a shot in Melbourne; Murray's been pumpded oot; Dan Evans, if he gets through the 1st round will then meet Alcaraz; Cam Norrie had a real loss of form in the second half of last year, so I'm not holding out much hope - which leaves Jack Draper as our best hope. He made the final in last week's warm-up tournament and let a lead slip but he appears to be building his confidence. Could be a good year for him if he stays free of injury. 

I could see Evans not being far behind Murray in retiring. His form wasn't so good last year, and he had a season-ending injury near the end of the year. I can see a steady drop down the ranking before he calls it a day.

Not just for the Aus Open, but I can see Draper being the only hope for significant wins in next couple of years, as long as he can stay injury free. It'll be some younger player outside the top 100 that will need to step up if there's another prospect out there.

I P Knightley
1 hour ago, PortyJambo said:

You must be a great coach if she's keeping you on for that long...

I noticed she withdrew from a couple of pre Aus Open exhibition matches, citing that she was feeling sore from training. Not a good sign for her ability to play week-to-week on the tour!

There's a bank holiday weekend in the middle which makes it seem longer. 

Good win for Emma!

Good day for the Brits so far, just need Evans to hold his nerve...

I P Knightley

All quite encouraging from a British perspective today.

A routine, straight sets win for Norrie is encouraging. 

Jack Draper, playing a geezer ranked marginally higher than himself, needed five sets but gave the guy an absolute pumping in the last two. 

The lovely Katie Boulter had a long (by women's standards) but straight sets win. 

Raducanu has just completed a straight sets win. 

Evans seems to be in a battle, a set up and 7-7 in a tie-break for the second. 

Nookie Bear
14 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

All quite encouraging from a British perspective today.

A routine, straight sets win for Norrie is encouraging. 

Jack Draper, playing a geezer ranked marginally higher than himself, needed five sets but gave the guy an absolute pumping in the last two. 

The lovely Katie Boulter had a long (by women's standards) but straight sets win. 

Raducanu has just completed a straight sets win. 

Evans seems to be in a battle, a set up and 7-7 in a tie-break for the second. 

Yep, some good character shown by Draper and The Lovely Katie Boulter especially.

Evans may struggle for fitness here but fingers crossed because you can never get too many sliced backhands imo

Nookie Bear
19 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

I'm not ready for the Aussie Open to have started. I could have done with it being a week or two later this year. I've only had the quickest of quick looks at the draw. Saw that Djoko cut it fine against a player half his age; Murray's all but announced that he'll jack it in this year. 

Oh - and I noticed in the doubles that Neal Skupski and Wesley Koolhof have parted company and are in the draw with new partners. I don't know how doubles teaming works but those two were at the top of the ranking last year so maybe one of them fingered the other one's missus. The only reason I can think of. 

Not sure this means you didn't realise he picked up an injury last week and is out for a while.

I P Knightley
10 minutes ago, AWM said:

Green socks, man! I'd :boak:, too.

7 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Yep, some good character shown by Draper and The Lovely Katie Boulter especially.

Evans may struggle for fitness here but fingers crossed because you can never get too many sliced backhands imo

Just looked at the wifie's draw. If The Lovely Katie Boulter and Raducanu both manage to beat their Chinese opponents in the next round (a tough ask for each of them), they'll play each other in round 3. 

6 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Not sure this means you didn't realise he picked up an injury last week and is out for a while.

As I said... this tournament has crept up on me and caught me unawares. Didn't know that about Broady. Shame for him. 

2 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

G...

Just looked at the wifie's draw. If The Lovely Katie Boulter and Raducanu both manage to beat their Chinese opponents in the next round (a tough ask for each of them), they'll play each other in round 3. 

Raducanu v Boulter won't be hard to watch, assuming Emma can beat off Wang.