Jump to content

Grand Slam Tennis ( updated )


Maroon Sailor

Recommended Posts

JudyJudyJudy
Just now, neilnunb said:

 

🤣  had a feeling you'd enjoy that, James. 😁

awe these things happen you know. TBF it was a 3 setter and like Novak he comes into his own in a 5 setter so ill give him that. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • JudyJudyJudy

    1805

  • neilnunb

    693

  • I P Knightley

    646

  • PortyJambo

    279

JudyJudyJudy
7 hours ago, escobri said:

one for a certain poster.

 

 

image-23-10-21-12-07-1.gif

Link to comment
Share on other sites

🤣 some fan giving it the "get it right up you" sign as Djoko gets broken againnin the third set.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I used to be so clued up on the tennis but completely lost touch with it the past year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So many horrible errors from Novak.

 

Not happy with them letting fans go to the seats after every game either, which is being trialled. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, neilnunb said:

Panic over, maybe. 😁

it is. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

New Town Loafer
8 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Murray out and pretty easily too.

 

 

 

 

 

Shame but his race is run. Take it easy for the rest of the year, have a final go at Wimbledon and retire at home.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dusk_Till_Dawn
3 hours ago, New Town Loafer said:

Shame but his race is run. Take it easy for the rest of the year, have a final go at Wimbledon and retire at home.


This must be the plan. One more Wimbledon outing and then face facts.

 

It’s been clear for a while now that it’s gone too far. A shame because he lost some peak years to injury but still an amazing career.

 

Probably Scotland’s greatest sports person, the Hibby wank that he is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

JudyJudyJudy
14 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Well Naomi Osaka's return didn't last long. Even Raducanu lasted longer 😁

A mate says I’m good at predicting winners at tennis . So opened up online betting account . Bet she would win and Shelton would get beat !! That’s my online gambling career finished ( but I’ll use the “ £30 free “ bets up first ) 😂😂

Edited by JudyJudyJudy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:


This must be the plan. One more Wimbledon outing and then face facts.

 

It’s been clear for a while now that it’s gone too far. A shame because he lost some peak years to injury but still an amazing career.

 

Probably Scotland’s greatest sports person, the Hibby wank that he is.

 

I beg to differ.

 

jocky-wilson-from-his-time-in-the-north-

Link to comment
Share on other sites

JudyJudyJudy
20 minutes ago, redjambo said:

 

I beg to differ.

 

jocky-wilson-from-his-time-in-the-north-

Still can’t beat this classic moment 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Still can’t beat this classic moment 

 

 

 

 

:D Someone with a sense of humour on the TOTP production team.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, redjambo said:

 

:D Someone with a sense of humour on the TOTP production team.

Yep 👍 😂😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I P Knightley
On 14/01/2024 at 10:50, Homme said:

I used to be so clued up on the tennis but completely lost touch with it the past year.

I'm not ready for the Aussie Open to have started. I could have done with it being a week or two later this year. I've only had the quickest of quick looks at the draw. Saw that Djoko cut it fine against a player half his age; Murray's all but announced that he'll jack it in this year. 

 

Britain has five players inside the top 100 for the first time in a while. Liam Broady's not getting a shot in Melbourne; Murray's been pumpded oot; Dan Evans, if he gets through the 1st round will then meet Alcaraz; Cam Norrie had a real loss of form in the second half of last year, so I'm not holding out much hope - which leaves Jack Draper as our best hope. He made the final in last week's warm-up tournament and let a lead slip but he appears to be building his confidence. Could be a good year for him if he stays free of injury. 

 

Round2Can'tDo is up against Shelby Rogers, who's one of the ones she beat when heading towards her fluke US Open. She's changed coach (surprise, surprise), going back to one of the ones she discarded a while ago. I think it's my turn to be her coach from mid-April to the end of May. 

 

Oh - and I noticed in the doubles that Neal Skupski and Wesley Koolhof have parted company and are in the draw with new partners. I don't know how doubles teaming works but those two were at the top of the ranking last year so maybe one of them fingered the other one's missus. The only reason I can think of. 

Edited by I P Knightley
Link to comment
Share on other sites

PortyJambo
1 hour ago, I P Knightley said:

Round2Can'tDo is up against Shelby Rogers, who's one of the ones she beat when heading towards her fluke US Open. She's changed coach (surprise, surprise), going back to one of the ones she discarded a while ago. I think it's my turn to be her coach from mid-April to the end of May. 

You must be a great coach if she's keeping you on for that long...

 

I noticed she withdrew from a couple of pre Aus Open exhibition matches, citing that she was feeling sore from training. Not a good sign for her ability to play week-to-week on the tour!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

PortyJambo
1 hour ago, I P Knightley said:

Britain has five players inside the top 100 for the first time in a while. Liam Broady's not getting a shot in Melbourne; Murray's been pumpded oot; Dan Evans, if he gets through the 1st round will then meet Alcaraz; Cam Norrie had a real loss of form in the second half of last year, so I'm not holding out much hope - which leaves Jack Draper as our best hope. He made the final in last week's warm-up tournament and let a lead slip but he appears to be building his confidence. Could be a good year for him if he stays free of injury. 

I could see Evans not being far behind Murray in retiring. His form wasn't so good last year, and he had a season-ending injury near the end of the year. I can see a steady drop down the ranking before he calls it a day.

 

Not just for the Aus Open, but I can see Draper being the only hope for significant wins in next couple of years, as long as he can stay injury free. It'll be some younger player outside the top 100 that will need to step up if there's another prospect out there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I P Knightley
1 hour ago, PortyJambo said:

You must be a great coach if she's keeping you on for that long...

 

I noticed she withdrew from a couple of pre Aus Open exhibition matches, citing that she was feeling sore from training. Not a good sign for her ability to play week-to-week on the tour!

There's a bank holiday weekend in the middle which makes it seem longer. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good win for Emma!

 

Good day for the Brits so far, just need Evans to hold his nerve...

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I P Knightley

All quite encouraging from a British perspective today.

A routine, straight sets win for Norrie is encouraging. 

Jack Draper, playing a geezer ranked marginally higher than himself, needed five sets but gave the guy an absolute pumping in the last two. 

The lovely Katie Boulter had a long (by women's standards) but straight sets win. 

Raducanu has just completed a straight sets win. 

Evans seems to be in a battle, a set up and 7-7 in a tie-break for the second. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nookie Bear
14 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

All quite encouraging from a British perspective today.

A routine, straight sets win for Norrie is encouraging. 

Jack Draper, playing a geezer ranked marginally higher than himself, needed five sets but gave the guy an absolute pumping in the last two. 

The lovely Katie Boulter had a long (by women's standards) but straight sets win. 

Raducanu has just completed a straight sets win. 

Evans seems to be in a battle, a set up and 7-7 in a tie-break for the second. 

 

 

 

Yep, some good character shown by Draper and The Lovely Katie Boulter especially.

 

Evans may struggle for fitness here but fingers crossed because you can never get too many sliced backhands imo

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nookie Bear
19 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

I'm not ready for the Aussie Open to have started. I could have done with it being a week or two later this year. I've only had the quickest of quick looks at the draw. Saw that Djoko cut it fine against a player half his age; Murray's all but announced that he'll jack it in this year. 

 

Britain has five players inside the top 100 for the first time in a while. Liam Broady's not getting a shot in Melbourne; Murray's been pumpded oot; Dan Evans, if he gets through the 1st round will then meet Alcaraz; Cam Norrie had a real loss of form in the second half of last year, so I'm not holding out much hope - which leaves Jack Draper as our best hope. He made the final in last week's warm-up tournament and let a lead slip but he appears to be building his confidence. Could be a good year for him if he stays free of injury. 

 

Round2Can'tDo is up against Shelby Rogers, who's one of the ones she beat when heading towards her fluke US Open. She's changed coach (surprise, surprise), going back to one of the ones she discarded a while ago. I think it's my turn to be her coach from mid-April to the end of May. 

 

Oh - and I noticed in the doubles that Neal Skupski and Wesley Koolhof have parted company and are in the draw with new partners. I don't know how doubles teaming works but those two were at the top of the ranking last year so maybe one of them fingered the other one's missus. The only reason I can think of. 

 

Not sure this means you didn't realise he picked up an injury last week and is out for a while.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I P Knightley
10 minutes ago, AWM said:

 

Green socks, man! I'd :boak:, too.

7 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

 

Yep, some good character shown by Draper and The Lovely Katie Boulter especially.

 

Evans may struggle for fitness here but fingers crossed because you can never get too many sliced backhands imo

Just looked at the wifie's draw. If The Lovely Katie Boulter and Raducanu both manage to beat their Chinese opponents in the next round (a tough ask for each of them), they'll play each other in round 3. 

6 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

 

Not sure this means you didn't realise he picked up an injury last week and is out for a while.

As I said... this tournament has crept up on me and caught me unawares. Didn't know that about Broady. Shame for him. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

G...

Just looked at the wifie's draw. If The Lovely Katie Boulter and Raducanu both manage to beat their Chinese opponents in the next round (a tough ask for each of them), they'll play each other in round 3. 

 


Raducanu v Boulter won't be hard to watch, assuming Emma can beat off Wang. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nookie Bear
34 minutes ago, Gizmo said:


Raducanu v Boulter won't be hard to watch, assuming Emma can beat off Wang. 

 

:oohmatron:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I P Knightley
2 hours ago, Gizmo said:


Raducanu v Boulter won't be hard to watch, assuming Emma can beat off Wang. 

Now that she's reinforced her wrists, you'd hope that that would be a formality.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
2 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

Now that she's reinforced her wrists, you'd hope that that would be a formality.


let’s hope Emma’s wrist rebuild is more successful than the Laura Robson’s 😔 

 

what a player Laura robson was and could have been often overlooked due to her beauty and cheeky personality

 

it was funny and well meaning when other players used to go ffs Laura what are you up to now like she was some sort of dafty while she was much higher ranked than them and  heading further up the ranks until injury struck 😔 

 

comon emaaaaaaaaaaa 🇬🇧 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 🇬🇧
 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wozniacki out 👍

 

Fernandez out 👍👍

 

Jabeur out 👍👍👍

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by neilnunb
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Djoko 2-1 up with break in the 4th. Should be fine now.

 

Defo a bit rusty so far this tourney though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I P Knightley
59 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Djoko 2-1 up with break in the 4th. Should be fine now.

 

Defo a bit rusty so far this tourney though. 

He needs to have a couple of 'formality' wins against Etcheverry and then Mannarino/Shelton to start exuding that air of invincibility that will help him when Fritz/Shitsispants and, particularly, Sinner come calling. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, I P Knightley said:

He needs to have a couple of 'formality' wins against Etcheverry and then Mannarino/Shelton to start exuding that air of invincibility that will help him when Fritz/Shitsispants and, particularly, Sinner come calling. 

 

I haven't been following the thread.  Has Djokovic not won it yet?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

 

I haven't been following the thread.  Has Djokovic not won it yet?

 

 

In theory, yes.  Just going through the motions until the presentation. 😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

 

 

In theory, yes.  Just going through the motions until the presentation. 😁

 

I suppose they can't just invite him over and hand him the trophy.  People who've paid for tickets might be annoyed. :biggrin:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

JudyJudyJudy
2 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

He needs to have a couple of 'formality' wins against Etcheverry and then Mannarino/Shelton to start exuding that air of invincibility that will help him when Fritz/Shitsispants and, particularly, Sinner come calling. 

Yeo he’s like a rusty old engine just getting into gear ! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rudi Skacel
2 hours ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

Yeo he’s like a rusty old engine just getting into gear ! 


just to check, do you understand the format of this tournament?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looking bad for Raducanu. Draper and Boulter already out today too.

 

Norrie through after a struggle though.

 

Back to normality for the Brits. 😐

Link to comment
Share on other sites

JudyJudyJudy
43 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Looking bad for Raducanu. Draper and Boulter already out today too.

 

Norrie through after a struggle though.

 

Back to normality for the Brits. 😐

Least one of my bets came up .  Tommy Paul . Won £6 whoop to do 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...