• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sadj

• Forever Hearts

• Last Laff

• Unknown user

Bazzas right boot
29 minutes ago, sassenach said:

Thanks for putting me straight, we did indeed remain top for a fair while after Lafferty left.  I think the performances started to dip at about the same time though, and most of us knew it wasn't going to last.

Did Souttar, Haring, Djoum not all get injured. Smith and Berra were out for a bit as well.  Think I'm missing someone as well.

Then Naismith got injured. 

Our form loss was not down to  Lafferty, no one suggested that at the time either. 

I don’t think AB would allow him back at the club.

He is however the type of player we need to sign if we are going to win anything and challenge for Europe.

He scores goals and that’s all that matters… it’s not as if we are spoilt for choice.

Probably end up signing some non league numpty that will struggle to score 10 goals a season.

The Hogfather

The only thing that puts me off is his age, you're not talking long term and we need to start looking at the long term, rather than players who'll give us no more than 2 seasons. I'd like someone a bit younger, with potential sell on value who's hungry to prove himself.

That said, Laffertys work rate couldn't bother me less. He could stand about with his thumb up his arse for 89 minutes of the game, as long as he sticks the ball in the net then who really cares?

davemclaren
9 minutes ago, Nunya Business said:

The only thing that puts me off is his age, you're not talking long term and we need to start looking at the long term, rather than players who'll give us no more than 2 seasons. I'd like someone a bit younger, with potential sell on value who's hungry to prove himself.

That said, Laffertys work rate couldn't bother me less. He could stand about with his thumb up his arse for 89 minutes of the game, as long as he sticks the ball in the net then who really cares?

This is where I am at. Money is tight and I think it should be focussed on younger players that we can develop to be better or potentially sell on. We’ve not had that much success with recruiting 30 odd year olds for a while. In saying that you would hope we could get at least one season out of him.  

King prawn
18 minutes ago, McCrae said:

He is however the type of player we need to sign if we are going to win anything and challenge for Europe.

He scores goals and that’s all that matters… it’s not as if we are spoilt for choice.

Probably end up signing some non league numpty that will struggle to score.

Ftfy - Cole “The Goal” Stockton :facepalm:

Bazzas right boot
17 minutes ago, McCrae said:

Probably end up signing some non league numpty that will struggle to score 10 goals a season.

Tbh I'm struggling with your logic. 

Killie signed him and never challenged for Europe or won things. 

St Johnstone never signed him and won 2 cups. 

Aberdeen and Hibs never signed him and got in Europe. 

We already have Boyce and Gnando so even your last point makes no sense. 

Forever Hearts

He's fit and scores goals. 

For those two reasons we won't be seeing him in a Hearts shirt again. 

In Robbie we trust.🙄

Edited by Forever Hearts

Nookie Bear
1 hour ago, BackOfTheNet said:

I think the way this thread has gone has shown one of the reasons why we shouldn’t sign Lafferty.

I’ll be the first to admit at being shocked by his Kilmarnock form, still don’t think it would’ve made sense to sign him last season as has been proven the correct decision. This summer? Positives: scored a lot for us before, scored a lot for Kilmarnock season just gone. So maybe this is a league that suits him.

Negatives: is a one man show. When he does well the team don’t necessarily do well as a whole (as our season with him as top goal scorer and Kilmarnock’s relegation show) His man management requirements are not something I think Neilson is up to, would have to rely heavily on McCulloch maybe. His age is also a negative.

So considering all the above - and my opinion that we have two forwards that are better for the team already (three counting an in form Naismith) it’s a no from me. We can - and should - aim higher.

That certainly makes more sense. 

Darn sight more sense that SRB’s bonkers “St J never signed him and they won two cups” argument 😂😂

Tommy Brown
1 hour ago, Forever Hearts said:

I was born at the time, yes. Whether he felt like he had relegated them is neither here nor there. He didn't.  

Yawn

And missing the point

On ignore

1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

Tbh I'm struggling with your logic. 

Killie signed him and never challenged for Europe or won things. 

St Johnstone never signed him and won 2 cups. 

Aberdeen and Hibs never signed him and got in Europe. 

We already have Boyce and Gnando so even your last point makes no sense. 

He scores goals… In his short spell at Killie his goals per game rate was much higher than any of our players. All done in the league above us.

None of our strikers scored a lot of goals in a crappy championship league. 

Our team would improve if we had him… if we dont improve we won’t do well. 

Gnando is not the answer, he has the touch of an elephant and didn’t do that well in the championship.

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, McCrae said:

He scores goals… In his short spell at Killie his goals per game rate was much higher than any of our players. All done in the league above us.

Gnando is not the answer, he has the touch of an elephant and didn’t do that well in the championship.

Nah. 

We didn't qualify for Europe and win cups when he played for us last time. 

We actually came closer to a cup with last seasons squad, the ones you say  that can't score in a crappy championship. 

Strange world. 

Bazzas right boot
55 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

That certainly makes more sense. 

Darn sight more sense that SRB’s bonkers “St J never signed him and they won two cups” argument 😂😂

You have to take in context to who I replied too. 

He said we need signings like him to qualify for Europe and win cups.... 

We don't. 

I gave examples. 

Do keep up. 

6 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Nah. 

We actually came closer to a cup with last seasons squad, the ones you say  that can't score in a crappy championship. 

Strange world. 

Take KL out of the debate… do you really think our strikers did well last season.

Forever Hearts
9 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Nah. 

Strange world. 

We didn't win cups in any of John Robertson's seasons (apart from him being an unused sub in 1998) what exactly is your point? 

Bazzas right boot
Just now, Forever Hearts said:

We didn't win cups in any of John Robertson's seasons (apart from him being an unused sub in 1998) what exactly is your point? 

Read the conversation. 

Then it will make sense. 

If you just jump in with no context then it won't. 

Forever Hearts
1 minute ago, Smith's right boot said:

Read the conversation. 

Then it will make sense. 

If you just jump in with no context then it won't. 

Translated - "I've been caught out talking mince. Again" 

Bazzas right boot
4 minutes ago, McCrae said:

Take KL out of the debate… do you really think our strikers did well last season.

Boyce did. 

Wighton improved, but not enough so we let him go. 

Gnando, I'm 50/50 on. 

Henderson will not improve us next season. 

Naismith was poor. 

We need another striker imo, Lafferty comes with negatives and positives, but I'd like us to be looking at better. 

I don't see him a a "must buy" or that important that our whole success hinges on it tho. We can challenge for Europe and cups without him. 

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

Translated - "I've been caught out talking mince. Again" 

Nope, read the conversation. 

You're like a drunk idiot in a pub that comes over and disrupts you and your mate talking and comes crashing In slavering piss because he picked up on a trigger word. 

Don't be that guy. 

Forever Hearts
2 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Nope, read the conversation. 

You're like a drunk idiot in a pub that comes over and disrupts you and your mate talking and comes crashing In slavering piss because he picked up on a trigger word. 

Don't be that guy. 

Your cups and europe analogy was absolute nonsense. Like the vast majority of your posts. 

Unknown user
5 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

Your cups and europe analogy was absolute nonsense. Like the vast majority of your posts. 

You're talking about the rangers, celtic or Lafferty. Like the vast majority of your posts

Forever Hearts
2 minutes ago, Smithee said:

You're talking about the rangers, celtic or Lafferty. Like the vast majority of your posts

Zzzzzzzzzz.......

portobellojambo1

It is a diffcult one, for no other reason than I reckon it would have to be a contract for probably one year only, and I'm not sure if that is the best route to go down at this time. Do I think he would score goals for us, yes I do, and do I think he should simply be ignored based on age or religion, absolutely not. If what we need is to add to our goalscoring potential then it makes a lot of sense. Do I give a diddly squat about the type of songs it might generate/recreate inside the stadium, no, I couldn't care less.

All I'm interested in is if we would benefit on the park, and while I think we would I'm not in a position to decide on the club's signing policy going forward. One thing I read right at the beginnnig of this thread is the answer should be no, we should be promoting youth to make money for the club. Money for the club is generated through success on the park, and success on the park revolves around winning, and the teams that normal win in football do so by scoring more goals than the opposition, winning football matches and gaining the benefit associated with being succesful and winning.

To me the thought of promoting players from the youth with the sole intention of selling them on to make money is an effective waste of the youth system. Promoting someone from the youth set up with the sole intention of them being succesful for HMFC, creating football success for HMFC, is something completely different.

I would have no objections to Lafferty coming back, on the correct contract basis. The fact he has just left Kilmarnock and was playing for a lot less money suggests that at this stage in his career playing is probably more important than earning shit loads of money to me means he shouldn't be rejected on a monetary basis, the thought of Lafferty and Boyce playing up front as a partnership does have a bit of appeal to it. But the club will decide if they think it is worthwhile signing him, and if we don't sign him I wouldn't be devastated.

Edited by portobellojambo1

The Hogfather

Liam Boyce scored 14 goals in 25 appearances.

Kyle Lafferty scored 13 goals in 13 appearances.

Whether you think we should sign him or not, statistically speaking, he was more clinical than Liam Boyce was this season. SRB is talking utter shite once again.

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, Forever Hearts said:

Don't be that guy. 

4 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

I think the way this thread has gone has shown one of the reasons why we shouldn’t sign Lafferty.

I’ll be the first to admit at being shocked by his Kilmarnock form, still don’t think it would’ve made sense to sign him last season as has been proven the correct decision. This summer? Positives: scored a lot for us before, scored a lot for Kilmarnock season just gone. So maybe this is a league that suits him.

Negatives: is a one man show. When he does well the team don’t necessarily do well as a whole (as our season with him as top goal scorer and Kilmarnock’s relegation show) His man management requirements are not something I think Neilson is up to, would have to rely heavily on McCulloch maybe. His age is also a negative.

So considering all the above - and my opinion that we have two forwards that are better for the team already (three counting an in form Naismith) it’s a no from me. We can - and should - aim higher.

Agree with all that although i think RNs man management skills would cope. 

Good to see the defensive wall is in full flight today with their black and white outlook on the world. Wish i was pals wi an admin

Without getting into it again.

anyone saying the “team” would improve with Laff because if his goalscoring is not looking at his career properly or his style of game. Anyone saying there are positives to him if we chose to ignore the hes too old we need younger thing (which most have wanted) Fair enough they have a point but there are negatives on the pitch too in comparison to players we already have let alone any targets.

Saying the “team” would improve because of Laff is wrong imo the “team” would have improved more by signing Shay over Laff

Edited by sadj

Class of 75
1 hour ago, McCrae said:

Totally agree. Gnando is rank rotten and is about as effective as a plank of wood. I appreciate that Lafferty is 34 but is twice the player. Even if age is an issue, Rangers have just given Defoe an extension and he is 39. Different player I know but the argument could be the same. 

9 minutes ago, Class of 75 said:

Totally agree. Gnando is rank rotten and is about as effective as a plank of wood. I appreciate that Lafferty is 34 but is twice the player. Even if age is an issue, Rangers have just given Defoe an extension and he is 39. Different player I know but the argument could be the same. 

Spot on. 

Unknown user
10 minutes ago, Class of 75 said:

Gnando is rank rotten and is about as effective as a plank of wood.

ffs

1 minute ago, Tommy Brown said:

:whistling:

Iv just finished training and im trying to bite my tongue as best i can as im proper fired up from it been a while since i had a good strike based session.

Had to edit a post yesterday or id have been banned , today may go the same way… 🤣

In context of the feeling of not wanting to celebrate i 💯 get it and Laws feeling of relegating them and feeling sick about it might not have relegated them as Birmingham were 2-1 up in the first half but it was the final nail in the coffin. Until then a goal for Norwich n winner for Man U would have seen a different outcome. 

Unknown user
4 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

What part is wrong?

The bit where some Hearts fans will go to any length to support a hun who had one good season with us, while ripping **** out of a current Hearts player who's still bedding in.

Absolute Scenes
4 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

What part is wrong?

Oh I don’t know maybe the whole fecking post??? You agreeing to it shows you up yet again as a troll. 

Armaund is factually not rank rotten considering his goals to game ratio and assist he contributed to the team  after not playing for some time. But aye crack on 

Absolute Scenes
19 minutes ago, Class of 75 said:

🤦‍♂️😂🤦‍♂️😂😂😂🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️😂😂😂😂🤦‍♂️😂😂😂😂

1 minute ago, Smithee said:

The bit where some Hearts fans will go to any length to support a hun who had one good season with us, while ripping **** out of a current Hearts player who's still bedding in.

He was class for us.  Chose us over hibs and scored big goals. The current player is a huddy.

2 minutes ago, Smithee said:

2 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Oh I don’t know maybe the whole fecking post??? You agreeing to it shows you up yet again as a troll. 

Armaund is factually not rank rotten considering his goals to game ratio and assist he contributed to the team  after not playing for some time. But aye crack on 

Saw someone say hes better than Boyce too , sure i read Boyce is not far off a goal every two games and Laff a goal every five games. Prob similar stats over the course of last season too

1 minute ago, Last Laff said:

He was class for us.  Chose us over hibs and scored big goals. The current player is a huddy.

How is he a huddy? Have you just decided that?

League wise im pretty sure theres not much between Gnando or Laff last season and Gnando is more team orientated

Edited by sadj

Tommy Brown
Just now, sadj said:

Iv just finished training and im trying to bite my tongue as best i can as im proper fired up from it been a while since i had a good strike based session.

Had to edit a post yesterday or id have been banned , today may go the same way… 🤣

In context of the feeling of not wanting to celebrate i 💯 get it and Laws feeling of relegating them and feeling sick about it might not have relegated them as Birmingham were 2-1 up in the first half but it was the final nail in the coffin. Until then a goal for Norwich n winner for Man U would have seen a different outcome. 

I was football daft 10 year old at the time. Huge story as Man utd were getting relegated.

It was, as you say, the final nail to prevent any recovery. 👍

3 minutes ago, Absolute Scenes said:

Troll for backing Lafferty and telling the truth over the latest huddy?  No bother.  MDV he ain't.

1 minute ago, sadj said:

Saw someone say hes better than Boyce too , sure i read Boyce is not far off a goal every two games and Laff a goal every five games. Prob similar stats over the course of last season too

Boyce is class.  

BackOfTheNet
45 minutes ago, sadj said:

Agree with all that although i think RNs man management skills would cope. 

I’ve yet to hear any positives about Neilson’s man management skills (even from first stint) and it’s been evident he lacks some when it comes to not improving players or just dropping them from squads entirely. I’m not saying he’s the worst manager or anything, just that he is limited. He’s like a 5 out of 10 at most when it comes to management, tactics or coaching. He’s just... there.

• davemclaren changed the title to Kyle Lafferty leaves Kilmarnock - joins Anorthosis Famagusta