Expectations for next season?

tartofmidlothian

The Grim Reaper

The academy kids pushing for a first team start should be integrated into the first team and given 15 to 20 minutes at the end of games we are comfortably winning (I acknowledge that we are very rarely comfortable in matches these days). As their confidence grows they should get the odd start but be integral to the first team. 

This come with good coaching and player management. Unfortunately there hasn’t been either of these things for years at Hearts. 

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• davemclaren

• Pasquale for King

• Des Lynam

35 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

I don't see why he wouldn't.

Neither do I but after watching the cup embarrassments against Alloa and Brora I do have my doubts.

My expectation is the football will still be drab and unexciting under Neilson.

3 minutes ago, The Grim Reaper said:

The academy kids pushing for a first team start should be integrated into the first team and given 15 to 20 minutes at the end of games we are comfortably winning (I acknowledge that we are very rarely comfortable in matches these days). As their confidence grows they should get the odd start but be integral to the first team. 

This come with good coaching and player management. Unfortunately there hasn’t been either of these things for years at Hearts. 

Makes you wonder how we ever managed to get Mackay, Bowman, Robbo etc integrated into the team. Oh aye......we were absolutely  skint and had no option.

30 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Yip.

You touched on it a bit, but A big factor in loaning out young players was also due to covid and no reserve  football.

If the young guys were playing reserve football then maybe they can come in and out of the side, but how do they prove they are playing well in the first place in order to break through or stay match fit?

Folk can't be seriously suggesting to develop a player he sits idle for most for the season and plays a handful of games, and as usual folk dismiss the wants of the player, no player worth anything would want that, they would want to leave or go on loan.

Many also fail to realise or acknowledge  that most of these players have not only failed to make it at  Hearts , they have failed in their loan spells.

If it was up to some we'd have played guys like Henderson, Logan, Moore, Irving Cochrane regularly in a shortened must win the league championship season.

These are the folk complaining Robbie has no clue.

Now it is being hinted at because he might play some youth in the LC he may not be taking the competition seriously.

You couldn't actually make up the stuff on here sometimes.

You do regularly Tosh.....😉

The Grim Reaper
1 minute ago, JimmyCant said:

Makes you wonder how we ever managed to get Mackay, Bowman, Robbo etc integrated into the team. Oh aye......we were absolutely  skint and had no option.

Robbie shouldn’t be given another penny to waste in my opinion. Should be told to make use with what he has, including the youth. 

Bazzas right boot
6 minutes ago, MTS1874 said:

Neither do I but after watching the cup embarrassments against Alloa and Brora I do have my doubts.

Why?

6 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

That’s the grim reality.  With others saying the minimum was achieved so hooray. 

1 minute ago, The Grim Reaper said:

Robbie shouldn’t be given another penny to waste in my opinion. Should be told to make use with what he has, including the youth. 

I suspect that’s been part of the recent discussions. Trim the squad down, use youths more. Stop signing old holidaymakers.

5 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Same happened with the young players under Locke. 

A Hearts football forum where you have to argue and get shouted down for wanting Hearts to do better. 

Madness. 

JamboGraham

I genuinely find the JKB expectation threads fascinating. My own view is that to set an expectation of position or round is only going to end in frustration. There are quite simply too many variables for that to be realistic.

If you take the league there will be 228 matches played and we only have any influence in 38 (around 16%) of them. We simply can’t control what other teams do.

However, we do know that since the introduction of 3 points for a win an average of 63 points will get you 3rd place. In the 27 seasons of 3 points for a win we have been 3rd (or better!) 8 times.  That’s less than 3 out of every 10 seasons. Based on that should our expectation still be 3rd every year? We are still the most frequent 3rd place finisher in this period but collectively Dundee Utd, Inverness, Kilmarnock, Livingston, Motherwell and St Johnstone have done it more often. It’s not just Aberdeen and Hibs that compete for this spot.

That’s why I believe the 60 point formula/target is so useful. It tracks against a realistic number and doesn’t just assume that we should beat everyone (every time!) who isn’t Celtic or Rangers. Even our very best 3 points for a win era sides (98, 06) dropped points against much lower finishing sides. It happens and it will always happen.

In the cups my only expectation is that we win the ties we are expected to win and we are competitive in the ones we aren’t. The luck of the draw decides how deep a run that might give us. I can’t see the logic in viewing a final loss to Celtic on penalties as ‘success’, whilst a 3rd round loss at Parkhead on penalties would be failure simply based on when the draw pairs us. Ultimately anything other than lifting the trophy is failure but there is little in our history to suggest that failure should not be the likely expectation. My own personal benchmark is never lose a cup tie at Tynecastle, never lose a cup tie to anyone but Rangers or Celtic. Needless to say I am disappointed just about every season!

Nookie Bear
51 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

We are hardly Man City right now. 

3 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

We are hardly Man City right now. 

True but we’ve no debt and at least one benefactor happy to pick up the tab for ‘spillages’ I’d say we’ve got leeway/wiggle room we didn’t have back then

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

and he did exactly that with 3 of them Brandon, Irving, and Henderson. 

3 is a perfectly normal amount of youngsters to have in the first team squad.

If we played a Cochrane-Irving midfield or something for the whole season we would have been taking a MASSIVE risk not to finish 1st. Who in their right mind would take that risk???? Risking a second ****ing season in this shite division in the hopes that Cochrane who was not good enough for Dunfermline or Montrose would eventually come good alongside another inexperienced CM partner Irving???  

And what, we should also not have bothered signing international quality like Aaron mceneff as well so we could give C. Smith 2 or 3 games? Not bother with signing international GMS so we could give Moore his 2 or 3 games? Do me a favour 👎

Firstly, No there were not and second, 2 or 3 games does absolutely **** all to develop a player. There was a short 27 game season where promotion was an absolute must. 3 young players were selected regularly for the league squad and given a good number of chances each with Brandon getting sadly injured when Smith would’ve been away for internationals and he would’ve got 5 or 6 games. 

What you are suggesting is, Neilson should have kept 7 or 8 other (unnamed by you) youngsters, none of whom were even playing any reserve football so they had 0 match sharpness, and kept tinkering with the team rotating kids in and out with the shortened 27 game season? Good idea m8, what could go wrong? Could you know any less about football? 

And your not even prepared to name the name of the specific youngsters who should have played ahead of specific senior experienced players. Name some names. Cochrane ahead of Halliday I would guess? because we don’t like his Rangers podcast stuff? Complete pish and guess what Cochran’s just as much a Rangers fan as well, just not famous enough to actually even get on a podcast like Halliday. So it’s a ****ing stupid stick which folk beat Halliday with because on the pitch, he’s been workmanlike but generally done his job. That experience on the park saw us over the line on multiple occasions (eg ayr away) in the 15 W’s he played in, whereas the likes of Cochrane would’ve struggled just as he did in a Dunfermline shirt.

Henderson played the most games out of all the players in your post so a bit self defeating there. Henderson the youth played more games, but he doesny play youth? see the contradiction?  

Ten games, wow. 
Moore would’ve contributed just as much as Frear/Roberts/Kastaneer did and saved us £200-300k that could’ve been spent on a decent player. 
Mcgill looked good in the League Cup and disappeared, not on loan though so was that a mistake then given he didn’t play?No wonder Cochrane left. 
Is it not his job to promote youths and improve them? If he didn’t last season he won’t in the league above!
He doesn’t promote youth,

he never makes any player better, he never has and he never will. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, The Grim Reaper said:

Spot on. We were comfortable in a few games last season but they still weren’t involved off the bench much. 

Bazzas right boot
26 minutes ago, JamboGraham said:

I genuinely find the JKB expectation threads fascinating. My own view is that to set an expectation of position or round is only going to end in frustration. There are quite simply too many variables for that to be realistic.

If you take the league there will be 228 matches played and we only have any influence in 38 (around 16%) of them. We simply can’t control what other teams do.

However, we do know that since the introduction of 3 points for a win an average of 63 points will get you 3rd place. In the 27 seasons of 3 points for a win we have been 3rd (or better!) 8 times.  That’s less than 3 out of every 10 seasons. Based on that should our expectation still be 3rd every year? We are still the most frequent 3rd place finisher in this period but collectively Dundee Utd, Inverness, Kilmarnock, Livingston, Motherwell and St Johnstone have done it more often. It’s not just Aberdeen and Hibs that compete for this spot.

That’s why I believe the 60 point formula/target is so useful. It tracks against a realistic number and doesn’t just assume that we should beat everyone (every time!) who isn’t Celtic or Rangers. Even our very best 3 points for a win era sides (98, 06) dropped points against much lower finishing sides. It happens and it will always happen.

In the cups my only expectation is that we win the ties we are expected to win and we are competitive in the ones we aren’t. The luck of the draw decides how deep a run that might give us. I can’t see the logic in viewing a final loss to Celtic on penalties as ‘success’, whilst a 3rd round loss at Parkhead on penalties would be failure simply based on when the draw pairs us. Ultimately anything other than lifting the trophy is failure but there is little in our history to suggest that failure should not be the likely expectation. My own personal benchmark is never lose a cup tie at Tynecastle, never lose a cup tie to anyone but Rangers or Celtic. Needless to say I am disappointed just about every season!

I'd say it's less about actual  setting expectations and more about how folk react to them not being met.

For example I expect to compete for third, however if we end up 4th or 5th I will look to see where we can improve further.

I won't lose the plot and think sacking everyone will make us third the season after.

I expect us to compete for third, however I also expect Aberdeen and Hibs to compete for third.

This is based on finance, but as football is played out on a spread sheet there may be many ups and downs over the season, the difference is how folk react to the downs.

Many on here do not react well to bad results.

Maple Leaf

No losses to the vermin.

Play entertaining football.

Top 4.

Reach last four in both cups.

No more excuses from RN.

Maple Leaf
1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

Hmm.  Are you suggesting that we should react well to bad results?

I think that you meant "many over react to bad results'.

Guest ToqueJambo

Dream: Put in a challenge for 2nd, ie still challenging after xmas, win a cup

Realistic target: Compete for 3rd, get into Europe, retain bragging rights in the derby, go on a cup run

Expectation: 4th minimum, retain bragging rights in the derby, cup QFs unless we get a good draw

Encouraging to see the emphasis on youth for next season, but that makes it even harder to predict how we'll do. Reserve the right to change these after we've done our recruitment.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Bazzas right boot
31 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Hmm.  Are you suggesting that we should react well to bad results?

I think that you meant "many over react to bad results'.

Probably a better phrase, but the impression I get is that whole weekends are ruined because of Hearts.

I have a pint/ food  and get over it, that is reacting well, some posters seem to disappear into a spiral of shame, hate and turn themselves inside out.

You can have expectations, but imo the key is to not have a melt down if they are not met. Fixes **** all.

Realistically we will probably finish 5th or 6th at the minute, I don't think our team/squad is strong enough to get top 4, yet anyway, It will all depend on our recruitment imo, If the recruitment is good, we could potentially finish 3rd, if it's poor then we will probably finish mid table like i suggested or even top end of the bottom 6. I think we should be targetting at least 5th and getting to quarters in both cups as a minimum with our budget, If not then RN really does have to be moved on asap.

2 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

I'd say it's less about actual  setting expectations and more about how folk react to them not being met.

For example I expect to compete for third, however if we end up 4th or 5th I will look to see where we can improve further.

I won't lose the plot and think sacking everyone will make us third the season after.

I expect us to compete for third, however I also expect Aberdeen and Hibs to compete for third.

This is based on finance, but as football is played out on a spread sheet there may be many ups and downs over the season, the difference is how folk react to the downs.

I don't expect hibs to do that and I never will.  And when are are knocked out of cups by Alloa and Brora I don't react well.  Not sure I'm supposed to.  

2 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

True but we’ve no debt and at least one benefactor happy to pick up the tab for ‘spillages’ I’d say we’ve got leeway/wiggle room we didn’t have back then

How do you know that?

The last accounts were to 30/6/20 and we've had no gate income since then.

1 minute ago, JamboAl said:

How do you know that?

The last accounts were to 30/6/20 and we've had no gate income since then.

If you read my whole post the reason we know we have no debt is clear. If you disagree, let me know the debts and the interest and the default penalties. Or we could wait for the accounts and we’ll know for sure. As of the last official release, we have no debt.

8 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

If you read my whole post the reason we know we have no debt is clear. If you disagree, let me know the debts and the interest and the default penalties. Or we could wait for the accounts and we’ll know for sure. As of the last official release, we have no debt.

I neither agree nor disagree.  I was just wondering how you knew we had no debt (in advance of the accounts)

27 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I neither agree nor disagree.  I was just wondering how you knew we had no debt (in advance of the accounts)

Mate. You don’t swear an oath before you post on here. Nobody sues you if you’re wrong. I believe we have no debt so I said so. If I’m wrong you’ll have scored another point. Another one for the whiteboard. I’m not really sure I get the point of you being here ?

Edited by JimmyCant

davemclaren
24 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Mate. You don’t swear an oath before you post on here. Nobody sues you if you’re wrong. I believe we have no debt so I said so. If I’m wrong you’ll have scored another point. Another one for the whiteboard. I’m not really sure I get the point of you being here ?

According to FootballFirst. 

Loans as at 30 June 2020:

£2.1m, interest free, and not repayable before the end of this financial year.

£1m, at market rate interest, not repayable until October 2023.

should be bigger by now. 

40 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Don't know why you're taking this "points scoring" attitude etc

You said we had no debt (not that you BELIEVE we have no debt),

I'll ignore you r last comment.

2 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Dream: Put in a challenge for 2nd, ie still challenging after xmas, win a cup

Realistic target: Compete for 3rd, get into Europe, retain bragging rights in the derby, go on a cup run

Expectation: 4th minimum, retain bragging rights in the derby, cup QFs unless we get a good draw

Encouraging to see the emphasis on youth for next season, but that makes it even harder to predict how we'll do. Reserve the right to change these after we've done our recruitment.

Your dream is Hearts finishing second? 

Guest ToqueJambo
5 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

Your dream is Hearts finishing second? 

Kind of semi-realistic dream yes given Celtic's issues. First is out of reach for any non-OF team forever IMO.

Edited by ToqueJambo

26 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

should be bigger by now. 

Are the loans to deal with covid? 

https://www.heartsfc.co.uk/news/article/chairmans-statement-march-26th

Guest ToqueJambo
28 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

should be bigger by now. 

Do we still have no external debt?

1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

Kind of semi-realistic dream yes given Celtic's issues. First is out of reach for any non-OF team forever IMO.

We’ve gone from dreams to nightmares. I totally understand what you’re saying but when I drift off thinking about Hearts it’s romping the title then dealing with Europe’s elite. Fully aware it’s not realistic. 

davemclaren
36 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Do we still have no external debt?

I think that debt is to Ann so not as at 30/6/20. 

davemclaren
1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

Some of the debt was prior to Covid but some not. I don’t think the clubs debt position will have improved in the last year. 

5 hours ago, JamboGraham said:

I agree with your "60 points" analysis.  If we're scoring 60 or more in a season it means we're losing a minority of games and we're in the zone to compete for third and for a UEFA spot.  Likewise, I'd agree we should win the cup ties we'd be expected to win and give a good account of ourselves in the ties we wouldn't expect to win. 

That's where my expectation level would be when things are going OK at the club, but in my view we're not near that at the moment.  So for the coming season what I actually think will happen is that we will muddle and blunder our way through the season, and we will probably find ourselves with very little to play for after the end of January 2022, until we finish seventh or thereabouts.  I don't know why I think that, and I don't have any concrete evidence to support my view.  I think whatever way we are managed and organised means that we are, for want of a better expression, just unable to make the most effective use of the resources we have.

Guest ToqueJambo
51 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

We’ve gone from dreams to nightmares. I totally understand what you’re saying but when I drift off thinking about Hearts it’s romping the title then dealing with Europe’s elite. Fully aware it’s not realistic. 

In mine I score the winning goal in the CL final. Yeah, I was trying to be semi-realistic.

Bongo 1874
8 hours ago, davemclaren said:

Gets slated for not playing enough young players, gets slated for looking to play more young players in the early LC sections again. 

Sorry who is slating him?. 

6 hours ago, Thomaso said:

I hate to sat it but the only reason to think otherwise is sheer optimism.  It's been dismally poor for a long time.

We should be aiming for 3rd.

Cup runs would be good but I think getting into Europe should be the main target.

davemclaren
18 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Sorry who is slating him?. 

‘m sure I could find the odd thread or post if looked around. 

49 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Some of the debt was prior to Covid but some not. I don’t think the clubs debt position will have improved in the last year. 

It would be difficult to believe it will have improved given that we have lost gate income as well as off-the-field revenue.

We have been "sheltered" a bit by furlough and FoH receipts but you'd think a trading loss is almost inevitable.

I still think, relatively speaking, we will fare better than most other clubs which could be in our favour if we dip into the transfer market, especially if our new Director backs us.  I would have thought our wage bill next season will reduce with a dozen off the books and, who knows, maybe just 3, 4 or 5 coming into the fold.

JamboGraham

17 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

I hate to sat it but the only reason to think otherwise is sheer optimism.  It's been dismally poor for a long time.

To be fair if you take sheer optimism away we would hardly sell a single season ticket, this season or any other.

Without it you are simply left with season after season facing reality which from a historical perspective is not exactly golden.

Edited by JamboGraham

Bongo 1874
3 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

‘m sure I could find the odd thread or post if looked around. 

Dave with all due respect I'm switched on, the club are blatantly lying to the fans about youth players with covid etc, it's absolute nonsense, and if people like yourself want me to back up what I'm Saying then private message me and I'll happily tell you how but, if you do a bit of research you maybe will find it out how the club aren't being 100% truthful. 

Bongo 1874

Couldn't play youth players due to covid 😂😂 and they weren't match fit 😂😂 lord have mercy, honestly Hearts, go to the kitchen, get the sharpest knife and cut the Bull***t. 

I find it incredible Armand, GMS, Logan all turned up match fit when they signed oh wait 🤔🤔

But we couldn't play youth players because of the covid situation, really Hearts, yeah you willing to back that Robbie? Hearts? Before you made a bigger ass of yourself you may want to remove the pre seasons friendlys from last year 🤔👀

Pasquale for King
8 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Couldn't play youth players due to covid 😂😂 and they weren't match fit 😂😂 lord have mercy, honestly Hearts, go to the kitchen, get the sharpest knife and cut the Bull***t. 

I find it incredible Armand, GMS, Logan all turned up match fit when they signed oh wait 🤔🤔

But we couldn't play youth players because of the covid situation, really Hearts, yeah you willing to back that Robbie? Hearts? Before you made a bigger ass of yourself you may want to remove the pre seasons friendlys from last year 🤔👀

Spot on, they were as fit as anyone else at the start of the season and if he had any intention of playing them they could’ve been with the squad. They weren’t sitting around the house either, they were in training. 

Lone Striker
6 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Compared to "back then", then you're point is valid.  However we most likely do have debt (owed to AB), and Mr. Anderson's benefactor-ness seems to be getting called on for  more than "spillages".   

13 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Is anyone saying they didn’t play because of covid? 

The reason given was we were in one of the toughest leagues in the world. 🤣

Edited by Des Lynam