Expectations for next season?

tartofmidlothian

Bazzas right boot
13 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

Couldn’t agree more. Apparently it’s ok if we play rubbish in the League cup group games. 

Has anyone said that?

Not 1 person has said it's ok if we play rubbish.

You made that up all in your head.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Pasquale for King

• Des Lynam

• JimmyCant

13 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

Couldn’t agree more. Apparently it’s ok if we play rubbish in the League cup group games. 

We should have the league Cup as "top priority" given we haven't won it in an embarrassing amount of years. 

Nookie Bear
26 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

You CAN play poor in the cup and go through. Of course you can.

But I am sure you would agree that sweeping aside lesser opposition is a more encouraging statement on where we are than limping through.

The league cup stages are most definitely an indicator of how we’re going to go, moving forward into the league.

Yes the objective is to qualify first and foremost but if we limp through with poor performances I’ll be seriously concerned about how prepared we are to play teams like Hibs and Aberdeen and go away to the likes of Livvy and St Johnstone.

No Hearts fan is hoping for a catastrophic league cup group. Very few wanted the manager to carry on, see the poll for confirmation, but now that we’re keeping him, we’re fingers crossed hoping he can produce something better than he has produced to date (and I don’t mean 5 years ago )

I watched every game we played last season. The poor performances are well into double figures. A number of times I thought ‘we are shite but somehow we won/drew’ If that level of performance is carried in to next season I’ll be thinking ‘we are shite and we were deservedly beaten’ because that level of performance is going to result in several defeats. Argue all you like about performance being secondary but at the end of the day, performance is what produces the result. Without performance you’re not going to see results in that league.

A case can be made that getting through and fine-tuning the formation and team is a part of the LC group stages but when it's common knowledge within the club that the fans are p'd off at your management then it might be a good idea to hit the ground running like Usain Bolt.

3 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

We should have the league Cup as "top priority" given we haven't won it in an embarrassing amount of years. 

It will be Robbie’s litmus test. 

davemclaren
8 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

This next season will make it 60 if we don’t win it. 

frankblack
8 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

A cup is an aspiration not an expectation for a team like Hearts.  Draw either half of the uglies and we are odds-on to be emptied, and other fixtures away from home to some teams are 50/50s.

Bazzas right boot
36 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

This next season will make it 60 if we don’t win it. 

😭😭

The Grim Reaper
53 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Not it's not.

If you think a good lc group stage means we will do will in the league then imo you are off on one.

Likewise, if you think that  going through but not playing well ( which is subjective , for example - 4 x 1-0 wins in which we are comfortable could be classed as good, were as 4 x 5-2 victories could be described as concerning, it depends on how you view attack v defence and the how the games went) will mean we will get beat of better teams and not have a good league campaign then you must be new to football.

If you think how we play against a lower division team in June will impact how we play the better teams then I cannot help you, even just last season we played well v Celtic/ hibs but got beat of Brora. and had a better head to head v the better teams in the division.

The games do not have any direct relation at all.

If we do not get through and get knocked out then that is a different matter, but in the LC group stages all that matters is getting through and in our case hoping that guys like Souttar and Haring don't break down.

We could win all our games 10-0, it would have zero impact on the league campaign, just like if we scrape through.

The level of performance in the LC in June is no indicator at all how the league campaign will go.

The cup is all about getting through. If we don't get through the lc group stages then we have a real problem, not a made up one.

Anyway, off topic.

For next season I expect top 4 and not to be knocked out the cup by lower league opposition.

When folk get their knickers in a twist because we haven't beaten every team by 3/4 goals in the lc I am sure there will be threads up telling us how if we can only beat x team by 1 goal then that means we will never beat Rangers, Aberdeen celtic etc and we are doomed to be relegated...... because that is how football works.

Really earning your money today. 

1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

Not it's not.

If you think a good lc group stage means we will do will in the league then imo you are off on one.

Likewise, if you think that  going through but not playing well ( which is subjective , for example - 4 x 1-0 wins in which we are comfortable could be classed as good, were as 4 x 5-2 victories could be described as concerning, it depends on how you view attack v defence and the how the games went) will mean we will get beat of better teams and not have a good league campaign then you must be new to football.

If you think how we play against a lower division team in June will impact how we play the better teams then I cannot help you, even just last season we played well v Celtic/ hibs but got beat of Brora. and had a better head to head v the better teams in the division.

The games do not have any direct relation at all.

If we do not get through and get knocked out then that is a different matter, but in the LC group stages all that matters is getting through and in our case hoping that guys like Souttar and Haring don't break down.

We could win all our games 10-0, it would have zero impact on the league campaign, just like if we scrape through.

The level of performance in the LC in June is no indicator at all how the league campaign will go.

The cup is all about getting through. If we don't get through the lc group stages then we have a real problem, not a made up one.

Anyway, off topic.

For next season I expect top 4 and not to be knocked out the cup by lower league opposition.

When folk get their knickers in a twist because we haven't beaten every team by 3/4 goals in the lc I am sure there will be threads up telling us how if we can only beat x team by 1 goal then that means we will never beat Rangers, Aberdeen celtic etc and we are doomed to be relegated...... because that is how football works.

We’ll leave it there mate because we’re obviously at opposite ends of the spectrum.

I just don’t get why anyone who has watched us regularly for the last 4-5 years can possibly ‘EXPECT’ that we’ll finish top 4 next season. Hope for it and wish for it . Yes we all do. Anyone who actually EXPECTS it simply hasn’t been paying attention.

HillmanHearts

Finish 4th in League, early exit in LC, Last 4 in SC.

If we :

Add some quality in two or three key positions.

Work out a strategy to take points from semi decent teams away from home and upgrade our attacking set piece in general ( which has been annoyingly pish ).

Bazzas right boot
22 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

We’ll leave it there mate because we’re obviously at opposite ends of the spectrum.

I just don’t get why anyone who has watched us regularly for the last 4-5 years can possibly ‘EXPECT’ that we’ll finish top 4 next season. Hope for it and wish for it . Yes we all do. Anyone who actually EXPECTS it simply hasn’t been paying attention.

So you agree with Robbie and the top 6 being a decent season?

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, frankblack said:

A cup is an aspiration not an expectation for a team like Hearts.  Draw either half of the uglies and we are odds-on to be emptied, and other fixtures away from home to some teams are 50/50s.

or get beat of St Mirren in a final. :seething:

The Old Tolbooth

Expecting more turgid pish from a clueless manager tbh, not filled with any hope whatsoever, although the league is such a poor standard that I can't see us going back down again. 

2 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

So you agree with Robbie and the top 6 being a decent season?

I wouldn’t use the word ‘decent’ and not sure he did either. I’d call that satisfactory progress.

"3rd in league and two cup finals" :vrface:

Have these people not been watching Hearts for the last 4 years?

What on earth makes them think that is even remotely achievable?

Top 6 is a realistic aim after the complete shambles this club has become in recent years.

Looks like Bob is going to test some of the laddies in the group stage, hopefully he’s taking this competition seriously. No more embarrassing defeats please.

EEN says Striker Euan Henderson, midfielders Connor Smith and Scott McGill, defender Cammy Logan and goalkeeper Harry Stone could all be involved.

1 minute ago, MTS1874 said:

Looks like Bob is going to test some of the laddies in the group stage, hopefully he’s taking this competition seriously. No more embarrassing defeats please.

EEN says Striker Euan Henderson, midfielders Connor Smith and Scott McGill, defender Cammy Logan and goalkeeper Harry Stone could all be involved.

It’s a risky gamble. I’m excited to see some of these guys come through but a defeat to any of those in our group and Robbie is done. 

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, JimmyCant said:

I wouldn’t use the word ‘decent’ and not sure he did either. I’d call that satisfactory progress.

I'd call it minimum progress, but it would depend on how we finished.

If we started slow then the team gelled and we ended up 6th and had a decent punt at the SC it would show a degree of stability if not  the progress we want.

I see no reason why we cannot compete with Hibs/ Aberdeen and Scottish football is full of teams that go from ok seasons to bad or vice versa.

Hibs 7th to 3rd is an example

Killie over 3/4 seasons going from 3rd to relegated is another.

In our recent history we got promoted then ended up 3rd on the 1st season in the Prem.

Other teams will have their say on matters but I look at the squad as it is, remain hopeful we'll get a few in to improve us and have no fear of sides like Aberdeen or Hibs.

5 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

or get beat of St Mirren in a final. :seething:

I never went back for the rest of that season. Gave my season ticket away to one of my mates, mates on the back to the car. Regretted it a couple of weeks later when wehad a home game and i had nothing to do. 🙂

davemclaren
4 minutes ago, MTS1874 said:

Gets slated for not playing enough young players, gets slated for looking to play more young players in the early LC sections again. 

Bazzas right boot
4 minutes ago, Cade said:

"3rd in league and two cup finals" :vrface:

Have these people not been watching Hearts for the last 4 years?

What on earth makes them think that is even remotely achievable?

Top 6 is a realistic aim after the complete shambles this club has become in recent years.

Depend how you look at it.

We've been a shambles but made 2 cup finals in the last 3 seasons.

Last time we got promoted we ended up 3rd.

" complete shambles in recent years.... " Ironically since Bob left last time .:fonzie:

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I never went back for the rest of that season. Gave my season ticket away to one of my mates, mates on the back to the car. Regretted it a couple of weeks later when wehad a home game and i had nothing to do. 🙂

Yip that games still irks me.

2 hours ago, Cruyff said:

I cannae believe I'm reading that folk think merely finishing in the top 6 is acceptable. No much wonder we're a ****ing mess with such low standards. 

I watched that Alex Fergurson documentary and, although it was a different time and different league setup, the interesting thing was that at Aberdeen his only target was to beat Celtic and Rangers. Not even win the league, just beat them.

The players all thought he was mental, but he drove them to beat them. And the league followed.

Where are the managers like that today?

Realistically we will never win the league in my lifetime, but every season we should attempt to do so.

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, MTS1874 said:

But he doesn't play enough yoooof!

If you don't play youth in the LC group stages , when do you expect them to play?

That just sums up JKB

Robbie oot- not enough yoof being played, it has to be a priority, yada , yada.

Robbie plays yoof - he' s not taking the games seriously.

See the source image

9 minutes ago, MTS1874 said:

intro-1571337221.jpg

9 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Gets slated for not playing enough young players, gets slated for looking to play more young players in the early LC sections again. 

No one backed him into that corner. He did it himself by not taking the opportunity to play youngsters last season. 

2 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

But he doesn't play enough yoooof!

If you don't play youth in the LC group stages , when do you expect them to play?

That just sums up JKB

Robbie oot- not enough yoof being played, it has to be a priority, yada , yada.

Robbie plays yoof - he' s not taking the games seriously.

See the source image

9 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I’m not saying he shouldn’t play the young guys, I’m just hoping he takes to competition seriously. I’m lucky as I’ve seen them win the League Cup and I’d like to see them win it again.

davemclaren
10 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

No one backed him into that corner. He did it himself by not taking the opportunity to play youngsters last season. 

Don’t understand how that is relevant. In ‘easier’ games it should be easier to involve younger players which he did. 

davemclaren
8 minutes ago, MTS1874 said:

I’m not saying he shouldn’t play the young guys, I’m just hoping he takes to competition seriously. I’m lucky as I’ve seen them win the League Cup and I’d like to see them win it again.

They’ve won in it in my lifetime but I was 3 so have no memories of it. I think he will take it seriously. 

Just now, davemclaren said:

They’ve won in it in my lifetime but I was 3 so have no memories of it. I think he will take it seriously. 

I was 12 Dave, first final my old man took me to.

A_A wehatethehibs

13 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

What opportunity?? Name the specific names of the youngsters that should have played, that he didn’t. 

Are you saying he should have played a both Cochrane-Irving-Smith-Mcgill 4 man central midfield for the whole season instead of only playing Irving alongside the more experienced midfielders?  Or he should have played Henderson Moore ahead of Walker and Boyce?? Or he should have played Brandon ahead of Michael Smith? Idiotic chat. Another myth debunked 

davemclaren
Just now, MTS1874 said:

I was 12 Dave, first final my old man took me to.

Lucky you then. You probably remember us winning the league as well in 1960. 

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, The Grim Reaper said:

Really earning your money today. 

First time for everything 😆

34 minutes ago, spacerjoe said:

I watched that Alex Fergurson documentary and, although it was a different time and different league setup, the interesting thing was that at Aberdeen his only target was to beat Celtic and Rangers. Not even win the league, just beat them.

The players all thought he was mental, but he drove them to beat them. And the league followed.

Where are the managers like that today?

Realistically we will never win the league in my lifetime, but every season we should attempt to do so.

:spoton:

We should always set out to win the league and all cups. 

Nookie Bear
11 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

What opportunity?? Name the specific names of the youngsters that should have played, that he didn’t. 

Are you saying he should have played a both Cochrane-Irving-Smith-Mcgill 4 man central midfield for the whole season instead of only playing Irving alongside the more experienced midfielders?  Or he should have played Henderson Moore ahead of Walker and Boyce?? Or he should have played Brandon ahead of Michael Smith? Idiotic chat. Another myth debunked 

Slightly dramatic!

He could have used these players throughout the campaign, from the bench or the odd start.

15 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Who said anything about the whole season man. You don’t think there were opportunities last season to give some youth players 2 or 3 games and develop them a bit ?

Edited by JimmyCant

HillmanHearts

Hope Connor Smith kicks on. Looked talented in the limited first team time he got previously.

Got my new ticket today and it felt great being at Tynecastle .

My wife will get her first season ticket for 6 years and our two youngest foster children will get theirs when that window opens.

Its not just the football I've missed not being at games but the pride I feel walking along Gorgie with my Hearts scarf on. Its a way if life thats unique to our club

Cmon Jambos get buying

Gordon Ramsay

Top 4, get to at least semi final in one if not both cups. 

Edited by Gordon Ramsay

Pasquale for King
26 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Slightly dramatic!

He could have used these players throughout the campaign, from the bench or the odd start.

Indeed, Moore or Henderson would’ve done better than Frear/Roberts and Kastaneer. 

Bazzas right boot
1 hour ago, MTS1874 said:

I don't see why he wouldn't.

Bazzas right boot
38 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Who said anything about the whole season man. You don’t think there were opportunities last season to give some youth players 2 or 3 games and develop them a bit ?

Player would develop more by playing 2 or 3 games for us  over a whole season?

A_A wehatethehibs
1 minute ago, Nookie Bear said:

Slightly dramatic!

and he did exactly that with 3 of them Brandon, Irving, and Henderson. 

3 is a perfectly normal amount of youngsters to have in the first team squad.

If we played a Cochrane-Irving midfield or something for the whole season we would have been taking a MASSIVE risk not to finish 1st. Who in their right mind would take that risk???? Risking a second ****ing season in this shite division in the hopes that Cochrane who was not good enough for Dunfermline or Montrose would eventually come good alongside another inexperienced CM partner Irving???  

And what, we should also not have bothered signing international quality like Aaron mceneff as well so we could give C. Smith 2 or 3 games? Not bother with signing international GMS so we could give Moore his 2 or 3 games? Do me a favour 👎

6 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

You don’t think there were opportunities last season to give some youth players 2 or 3 games and develop them a bit ?

Firstly, No there were not and second, 2 or 3 games does absolutely **** all to develop a player. There was a short 27 game season where promotion was an absolute must. 3 young players were selected regularly for the league squad and given a good number of chances each with Brandon getting sadly injured when Smith would’ve been away for internationals and he would’ve got 5 or 6 games. 

What you are suggesting is, Neilson should have kept 7 or 8 other (unnamed by you) youngsters, none of whom were even playing any reserve football so they had 0 match sharpness, and kept tinkering with the team rotating kids in and out with the shortened 27 game season? Good idea m8, what could go wrong? Could you know any less about football? 

And your not even prepared to name the name of the specific youngsters who should have played ahead of specific senior experienced players. Name some names. Cochrane ahead of Halliday I would guess? because we don’t like his Rangers podcast stuff? Complete pish and guess what Cochran’s just as much a Rangers fan as well, just not famous enough to actually even get on a podcast like Halliday. So it’s a ****ing stupid stick which folk beat Halliday with because on the pitch, he’s been workmanlike but generally done his job. That experience on the park saw us over the line on multiple occasions (eg ayr away) in the 15 W’s he played in, whereas the likes of Cochrane would’ve struggled just as he did in a Dunfermline shirt.

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

Indeed, Moore or Henderson would’ve done better than Frear/Roberts and Kastaneer. 

Henderson played the most games out of all the players in your post so a bit self defeating there. Henderson the youth played more games, but he doesny play youth? see the contradiction?  

Nookie Bear
8 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

If we played a Cochrane-Irving midfield or something for the whole season we would have been taking a MASSIVE risk not to finish 1st. Who in their right mind would take that risk???? Risking a second ****ing season in this shite division in the hopes that Cochrane who was not good enough for Dunfermline or Montrose would eventually come good alongside another inexperienced CM partner Irving???  

And what, we should also not have bothered signing international quality like Aaron mceneff as well so we could give C. Smith 2 or 3 games? Not bother with signing international GMS so we could give Moore his 2 or 3 games? Do me a favour 👎

Firstly, No there were not and second, 2 or 3 games does absolutely **** all to develop a player. There was a short 27 game season where promotion was an absolute must. 3 young players were selected regularly for the league squad and given a good number of chances each with Brandon getting sadly injured when Smith would’ve been away for internationals and he would’ve got 5 or 6 games. 

What you are suggesting is, Neilson should have kept 7 or 8 other (unnamed by you) youngsters, none of whom were even playing any reserve football so they had 0 match sharpness, and kept tinkering with the team rotating kids in and out with the shortened 27 game season? Good idea m8, what could go wrong? Could you know any less about football? 

And your not even prepared to name the name of the specific youngsters who should have played ahead of specific senior experienced players. Name some names. Cochrane ahead of Halliday I would guess? because we don’t like his Rangers podcast stuff? Complete pish and guess what Cochran’s just as much a Rangers fan as well, just not famous enough to actually even get on a podcast like Halliday. So it’s a ****ing stupid stick which folk beat Halliday with because on the pitch, he’s been workmanlike but generally done his job. That experience on the park saw us over the line on multiple occasions (eg ayr away) in the 15 W’s he played in, whereas the likes of Cochrane would’ve struggled just as he did in a Dunfermline shirt.

Henderson played the most games out of all the players in your post so a bit self defeating there. Henderson the youth played more games, but he doesny play youth? see the contradiction?  

Was appreciating the response until you referred to Aaron McEneff as "international quality" and GMS as an "international". Stretching it a bit!

But you are right, there is not really enough quality coming through the academy to warrant them playing last season...so i am not sure what is going to change for the coming season.

Bazzas right boot
9 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Yip.

You touched on it a bit, but A big factor in loaning out young players was also due to covid and no reserve  football.

If the young guys were playing reserve football then maybe they can come in and out of the side, but how do they prove they are playing well in the first place in order to break through or stay match fit?

Folk can't be seriously suggesting to develop a player he sits idle for most for the season and plays a handful of games, and as usual folk dismiss the wants of the player, no player worth anything would want that, they would want to leave or go on loan.

Many also fail to realise or acknowledge  that most of these players have not only failed to make it at  Hearts , they have failed in their loan spells.

If it was up to some we'd have played guys like Henderson, Logan, Moore, Irving Cochrane regularly in a shortened must win the league championship season.

These are the folk complaining Robbie has no clue.

Now it is being hinted at because he might play some youth in the LC he may not be taking the competition seriously.

You couldn't actually make up the stuff on here sometimes.

Nookie Bear

So who are the academy graduates we are expecting to trust away at the likes of Fir Park and St Mirren next season?

It would be more honest to say that our academy has been a complete failure and that we are starting again.

A_A wehatethehibs
Just now, Nookie Bear said:

Was appreciating the response until you referred to Aaron McEneff as "international quality" and GMS as an "international". Stretching it a bit!

But you are right, there is not really enough quality coming through the academy to warrant them playing last season...so i am not sure what is going to change for the coming season.

Aaron McEneff has already been called up once to his ROI international squad in November 2020 just before he joined us and I imagine he has high hopes next season to earn another call up. That will be his aim in stepping up a league from where he was last year. What’s stopping him? Looks well capable of achieving that to me. He looks sharp, strong, quick thinking. That’s why he’s come to Hearts because playing well here will give him every chance of both a cap, and a big platform for a big move. 

GMS as well, has been in squads and capped for Scotland so yes he can proudly call himself an international. He’s won league titles and played european football. Completely different weight class of player vs the likes of Moore etc. 

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

So who are the academy graduates we are expecting to trust away at the likes of Fir Park and St Mirren next season?

It would be more honest to say that our academy has been a complete failure and that we are starting again.

Probably have an intake at least once  every season.

It's not really something you start again tbh.

7 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

I tend to agree with you on the quality front, and there’s also an ongoing issue with youths coming through who looked the part but fell away very quickly, Cochrane being a prime example of that. I don’t know a great deal about the current batch pushing for places but its an overall problem we are going to have to deal with to stop this constant need for multiple signings every summer. Either we develop youth players by giving them a run and a decent chance, which is always going to be a gamble of sorts or we bin the entire system and sign other clubs youth players at maturity or close to it.