Expectations for next season?

tartofmidlothian

tartofmidlothian

What do we want to see from Hearts? What's acceptable and what isn't?

I've never started a season demanding a cup, the best we can hope for is to not go out to a team below us in the league. But this time we really need to get our fingers out and follow St Johnstone's example, Rangers will be trying to win the league again and Celtic will be trying to catch them while in transition. Before long they'll both be used to winning again, we need to attack the cups like we did Hibs and Celtic last season, not Brora and Alloa.

In the league I really want to see us qualify for Europe, but I don't think we can't ask for any more than staying in the top six and keeping in touch with the teams going for Europe. Our starting XI's one of the best in the country though, I hope they take a bit of pride this time.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• davemclaren

• Pasquale for King

• Des Lynam

Top 6.

Don't get humiliated in the cups.

That's the bare minimum.

If the Hearts board can call getting papped out of both cups and getting promoted no matter how crap we were last year as a resounding success.....................

Just now, Jamhammer said:

Want. Better football

Expect. More of the same 

This.

Better football should lead to relative success, but will we see it? Like you, I'm not convinced.

Happy to be proven wrong!

Top 4.

Progress to at least the 1/4 final of the Scottish and at least the 1/2 final of the Mickey Mouse.

Don't dare lose to the Vermin.

Bunny Munro

Challenging for a top 4 place. 

Not to lose in the cup to anyone outside the Old Firm, or arguably another top 6 side away from home.

A_A wehatethehibs

Above Hibs, above Aberdeen. Fight, commanding performances + cutting edge. Out work teams. 

Savage Vince

The team regressed so much in the last 3 years in the SPL that battling for a European spot and getting back to being a hard and hard-to-beat outfit would do me fine next season. 

Bongo 1874

Challenge the old firm, and establish ourselves as the recognised best of the rest, playing attacking football every game, promote youth to first team. 

A leopard doesn't change its spots - I hope I'm wrong, but I think by November the club will realise the wrong manager is in place. It depends how that is dealt with.

I'd settle for bottom of the top six in another season of transition.

I want to see us sign better players and play them in a system they are all comfortable with.

I expect to see us sign a few decent players and a few not so decent ones.....the football to have me more likely to be on the edge of a cliff than on the edge of my seat.

17 minutes ago, Boris said:

This.

Better football should lead to relative success, but will we see it? Like you, I'm not convinced.

Happy to be proven wrong!

Me too mate. Wouldn’t be the first time either but not optimistic, which is unlike me. 
Dunno if it’s the pandemic but feel pretty disconnected from the club

2 minutes ago, One five said:

Top3 and win a cup and beat the hobos every time.

:greggy:

Qualifying for Europe.

Minimum one semi final, one quarter final in the cup, but certainly no whimpering defeats.

Minimum of 7 points v. Hibs, but prefer not to experience a loss.

More minimum standards than expectations.

Edited by DETTY29

I expect 5th or 6th in the league 

At least one decent cup run.

I expect not to be embarrassed as we were twice last season.

I don’t even think that’s all that ambitious. 
Europe would be nice but I don’t expect it.

Finishing above Hibs would be good but I don’t expect that either

Winning a cup is always a possibility for Hearts but the luck of draws plays a big part. 

Edited by JimmyCant

Ccjambo1874

Realistically - top 6 and a couple quarter finals at minimum without any upsets.

I'd want us to be aiming for third as I still don't feel teams outwith the OF are up to much, I'd expect Aberdeen to be poor next season, Hibs also if they lose a few players. I see no reason  why we shouldn't be aiming for 3rd and making the semis of the league Cup. 

heartsfc_fan

Top 5 is acceptable in my book.

No scraping into the top 6 on the last round of fixtures and fading away though, please.

Ourselves, Hibs, Aberdeen and St Johnstone will be challenging for 3rd place.

adambraejambo

Come end of season I want our win column in league table to be better than our draw column. And draw total better than defeat total. Manage that and we be  up there where we should be.  

Cups just see what happens on a game to game basis. It pointless saying I want 2 semi finals  when we could get hard draws early on. 

50 minutes ago, Cade said:

Top 6.

Don't get humiliated in the cups.

That's the bare minimum.

That's where I am too.

Pans Jambo

In a pessimistic mood tonight. 

Remember when you had that old car. You loved it and kept spending money on it to keep it going. It always let you down but you just couldnt bear to give it up. 

You eventually saved up enough to replace the old exhaust and get the cylinder head skimmed. Even splashed out on a new battery & STILL the fecker broke down on the bypass. 

I fear Hearts will break down on the bypass next season. New clutch, tyres, exhaust & serviced but the same result. Shite!

Was up at 4am this morning though ☹️

Standards.  It’s so important. We’ve lost the pride in performance in the last few years as desperation crept in and results waned.

You need to start at the beginning but the management needs to be good, from picking/buying players and the general outlook imposed on the team. 

I just don’t think this is like going into the 15/16 season where we had an SPL standard side walking the championship and ready to go.  But we’ve had a habit in our history of springing a great season from nowhere. 

Above all, I want the management to be fearless and keep things simple as possible. No square pegs in round holes ,let players get into a rhythm and not make changes week to week because we are meant to be thinking out the box. 😒

3rd and a cup double.   ::troll::

3 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Standards.  It’s so important. We’ve lost the pride in performance in the last few years as desperation crept in and results waned.

You need to start at the beginning but the management needs to be good, from picking/buying players and the general outlook imposed on the team. 

I just don’t think this is like going into the 15/16 season where we had an SPL standard side walking the championship and ready to go.  But we’ve had a habit in our history of springing a great season from nowhere. 

Above all, I want the management to be fearless and keep things simple as possible. No square pegs in round holes ,let players get into a rhythm and not make changes week to week because we are meant to be thinking out the box. 😒

3rd and a cup double.   ::troll::

Excellent post 👍

Howdy Doody Jambo

3rd in the league , at least a semi in a cup, a few youth players getting introduced, 4 derby wins, stay unbeaten at Tynecastle 

3 minutes ago, OTT said:

Cups, keep going till the OF put us out. League, we should be aiming to get European football. 

🤷‍♂️The Rangers never put us out  the season before last!

Edited by One five

45 minutes ago, blairdin said:

A leopard doesn't change its spots - I hope I'm wrong, but I think by November the club will realise the wrong manager is in place. It depends how that is dealt with.

I'd settle for bottom of the top six in another season of transition.

FoH will use their influence this year to ensure the running of the club improves..........mmmmmmmmuuuuuuaaaaaaahahahahahah etc!

Pasquale for King

Everything points to eye bleeding football, poor derby results, out the cups early doors and 5th place at best. A year on we will still be debating the manager and listening to pleas

of getting one more window. Thoroughly depressing stuff. 

Just now, Pasquale for King said:

Everything points to eye bleeding football, poor derby results, out the cups early doors and 5th place at best. A year on we will still be debating the manager and listening to pleas

All on Hearts TV. 

indianajones

Expectations? 

I fully expect a dog fight with this current management team and squad. 

Realistic hopes: Unbeaten vs wee team, a cup final and fighting for 3rd. 

Bazzas right boot

Expect top 4. 

Hibs and Aberdeen are not untouchable or that far ahead we can't close the gap. 

We need to reverse our home form of recent seasons. Around 65 points is enough for 3rd normally, if we can get consistency at home and even average away by our standards it is achievable. 

Cups, no defeats to lower league teams. 

Bottom 6 will mean he has to go. 

We won't be tho. 

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

😂😂😂

ScottieMac17

Top 4, a run in one of the cups, beat Hibs in every derby and make Tynecastle a fortress. 

I want to be 3rd,  12 points from the vermin and a cup.

realistically top 6, 12 points from the vermin and a trip to Hampden  

1 hour ago, Jamhammer said:

Me too mate. Wouldn’t be the first time either but not optimistic, which is unlike me. 
Dunno if it’s the pandemic but feel pretty disconnected from the club

Yeah, I think what's happening has played a part, from our demotion through an arm's length promotion.

Lack of crowds perhaps allowed RN to ride out some terrible results and performances, but we are where we are.

On paper, I think our squad is ok, and less sure how good our opponents actually are, but we shall see.

Just hope we go out playing to win and not over analysing the oppo. Let them worry about us.

17 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Expect top 4. 

Hibs and Aberdeen are not untouchable or that far ahead we can't close the gap. 

We need to reverse our home form of recent seasons. Around 65 points is enough for 3rd normally, if we can get consistency at home and even average away by our standards it is achievable. 

Cups, no defeats to lower league teams. 

Bottom 6 will mean he has to go. 

We won't be tho. 

Your looking at a complete turnaround then in Neilsons approach to away games.

stevie1874
1 hour ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Challenge the old firm, and establish ourselves as the recognised best of the rest, playing attacking football every game, promote youth to first team. 

That’s what I want 👍 what I expect is completely different with what will be a cautious approach going forward looking at last seasons games. 

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, 1971fozzy said:

Your looking at a complete turnaround then in Neilsons approach to away games.

Not really, I think he had our best record away since 06 in the top flight. 

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

I want to be 3rd,  12 points from the vermin and a cup.

realistically top 6, 12 points from the vermin and a trip to Hampden  

No chance he’s getting 12 points from them with RN in charge. 

12 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Not really, I think he had our best record away since 06 in the top flight. 

given the approach in away games the season past I’d still say a complete overhaul in his cautious approach. I hope it’s attacking but not holding my breath.