Expectations for next season?

tartofmidlothian

Ron Burgundy

Strongly suspect Neilson will be under huge pressure and rightly so after our first terrible performance. If he goes early enough maybe we can scrape top six.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• Pasquale for King

• Des Lynam

• JimmyCant

portobellojambo1

Not read through thethread, so no idea what anyone else has said.

Towards the end of last season, after the home game versus QoS, the senior players were got together by Joe Savage for their thoughts on how we were playing and expressed their opinion. A meeting then followed with Robbie Neilson, and following that meeting the manner in which we had been playing changed significantly and we finished the season much better.

We looked like a football side again, with players playing well and producing on the park. In looking at the division we are now going into I have to be honest and say the only side out of that division who played decently throughout were Rangers, and the end league positions reflected that.

I actually think we have the basis of a decent side already on our books, and when utilised correctly the latter end of the season showed they can play together and get the results. We need to start next season the way we finished last season, there is no need to fear anyone, no need to tweak the team depending on the opposition, no need to change the manner in which we play.

Based on all sides in the top division I see no reason why we shouldn't be looking to achieve a place in the league which will guarantee us European football, and we need to approach every cup tie with only one thing in mind, i.e. looking to progress in every cup competition as far as we can.

If it becomes apparent that the management team are holding back the team I hope we are brutal in terms of making changes. Some people have said in recent weeks that we should give the present management team until around Christmas of this year before considering changes if it is all going titsup. To me that is too late, you then spend January looking for a new manager, someone who might need maybe 3/4 weeks to sort thing out, by which time we could be struggling at the wrong end of the league.

Per above, I do actually think we have the basis of a side who if used properly from outset could make a mark and a point on returning to the top division. I was one who was hoping that amongst changes during this close season a new coach would be appointed. But if Neilson has learned from the discussions he had with both the players  and Joe Savage and translates those discussions into the manner we approach games from outset next season then I'll be more than happy.

Edited by portobellojambo1

Auldbenches
3 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

No team will care about performances in the lc group stages, winning is all that matters. 

If we go through then I'll be happy. 

There will be folk moaning even if we do that tho. For me that's the priority. Performances are secondary. 

It works both ways tho, even if we do smash teams in the league cup group stages only a fool would think that will automatically transfer to the league campaign. 

Also, We never had a shite league season the season just past, we Litterally couldn't have finished higher in the league. 

They will only moan if we get through with the same performances that have started the last few seasons.  After what we have had to endure, winning against these smaller teams isn't all that matters. 

I don't think you've been listening to other fans regarding why they are pissed off.  

No one is saying it will mean a good league campaign, they just don't want to begin the season watching the same shote approach. 

Will you be happy just establishing ourselves in the league next season?   He will cost us in tbe long run.  Don't underestimate how fans feel about the last 4 year. 

If Budge is happy with us just establishing ourselves, then that comment about 4th was another falsehood.  

He is on his last legs with tbe fans, so is she, and performances are paramount this season. 

If last season is seen as given us our best away record since whenever, they how bad has it become?  Your standards have fallen along with the board's.

I think you'll find you are in the minority on this.  

Edited by Auldbenches

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Expect us to beat bottom 6 teams consistently playing decent stuff, expect us to be hard to beat and competitive with all top half teams, style of football in top half, I dont really give a shit, these games are about being competitive and taking points, not playing fancy one twos and pirouetting about.

Cups, well we need to improve drastically or Robbielsa will be getting it tight from all angles

Bazzas right boot
6 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

They will only moan if we get through with the same performances that have started the last few seasons.  After what we have had to endure, winning against these smaller teams isn't all that matters. 

I don't think you've been listening to other fans regarding why they are pissed off.  

No one is saying it will mean a good league campaign, they just don't want to begin the season watching the same shote approach. 

Will you be happy just establishing ourselves in the league next season?   He will cost us in tbe long run.  Don't underestimate how fans feel about the last 4 year. 

If Budge is happy with us just establishing ourselves, then that comment about 4th was another falsehood.  

He is on his last legs with tbe fans, so is she, and performances are paramount this season. 

Cba arguing Tbh. 

The lc group stages is all about getting through to the next round. 

I won't change on that. 

In regards to establishing ourselves, I don't see why we can't go for 3rd or 4th, but Aberdeen and Hibs will feel the same way. 

Based on budget, 5th is the lowest we should finishing. 

Bottom 6 is failuire. 

I'll judge the season on results. 

Whatever we think now means nothing, what will happen we will see. 

I think we'll do well in the league. 

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, Leveins Battalion said:

I expect the renaissance of the greatest football team in the World,i expect the twirly,a raft of new songs for our new hero's,i expect 5 years of shite to be confined to the history books with a young vibrant team who know what it means to play for the Hearts.I expect Gino and GMS to run ragged shite like Paul McGinn,i expect Boyce to hit 20,i expect Craig Gordon to remain the best keeper in Scotland,i expect Aaron McEneff to kick on and be a standout.I expect scenes.:scenes:

The only thing i don't expect is a Wendy's Pie on Gorgie Road,as she had to close the shop.:jj_facepalm:

Spot on. 
Why did she close, she’s seen off so many competitors over the years. It’s a takeaway that’s open all day now. 

Pasquale for King
8 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

If last season is seen as given us our best away record since whenever, they how bad has it become?  Your standards have fallen along with the board's.

I think you'll find you are in the minority on this.  

Absolutely 👍🏽

Auldbenches
Just now, Smith's right boot said:

Cba arguing Tbh. 

I won't change on that. 

In regards to establishing ourselves, I don't see why we can't go for 3rd or 4th, but Aberdeen and Hibs will feel the same way. 

Bottom 6 is failuire. 

It's a discussion not an argument.  

No ones posting their opinions just to prove you wrong. 

1 hour ago, portobellojambo1 said:

Towards the end of last season, after the home game versus QoS, the senior players were got together by Joe Savage for their thoughts on how we were playing and expressed their opinion. A meeting then followed with Robbie Neilson, and following that meeting the manner in which we had been playing changed significantly and we finished the season much better.

We looked like a football side again, with players playing well and producing on the park. In looking at the division we are now going into I have to be honest and say the only side out of that division who played decently throughout were Rangers, and the end league positions reflected that.

I actually think we have the basis of a decent side already on our books, and when utilised correctly the latter end of the season showed they can play together and get the results. We need to start next season the way we finished last season, there is no need to fear anyone, no need to tweak the team depending on the opposition, no need to change the manner in which we play.

Based on all sides in the top division I see no reason why we shouldn't be looking to achieve a place in the league which will guarantee us European football, and we need to approach every cup tie with only one thing in mind, i.e. looking to progress in every cup competition as far as we can.

If it becomes apparent that the management team are holding back the team I hope we are brutal in terms of making changes. Some people have said in recent weeks that we should give the present management team until around Christmas of this year before considering changes if it is all going titsup. To me that is too late, you then spend January looking for a new manager, someone who might need maybe 3/4 weeks to sort thing out, by which time we could be struggling at the wrong end of the league.

Per above, I do actually think we have the basis of a side who if used properly from outset could make a mark and a point on returning to the top division. I was one who was hoping that amongst changes during this close season a new coach would be appointed. But if Neilson has learned from the discussions he had with both the players  and Joe Savage and translates those discussions into the manner we approach games from outset next season then I'll be more than happy.

:spoton:

Leveins Battalion
26 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Spot on. 
Why did she close, she’s seen off so many competitors over the years. It’s a takeaway that’s open all day now. 

I’d imagine like most cafes etc loss of match day football tipped them over the edge,great mince and steak pies too,made on the premises.

just need to go that bakers on Slateford Road now.

Pasquale for King
11 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

I’d imagine like most cafes etc loss of match day football tipped them over the edge,great mince and steak pies too,made on the premises.

just need to go that bakers on Slateford Road now.

I don’t think they relied on 20 match days a year to get by, no business in Gorgie does. They weren’t open for some of them, Sunday games for example. It helps obviously but not essential. 
Mark McGills pies are excellent. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

Bazzas right boot
59 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Expect us to beat bottom 6 teams consistently playing decent stuff, expect us to be hard to beat and competitive with all top half teams, style of football in top half, I dont really give a shit, these games are about being competitive and taking points, not playing fancy one twos and pirouetting about.

Cups, well we need to improve drastically or Robbielsa will be getting it tight from all angles

100% agree. 

1 hour ago, portobellojambo1 said:

Fair enough, I'd also add that in the games towards the end of  last season we played teams wanting to win and we did score early. We went through an extraordinary long time of not scoring early. 

Changes these types of games drastically and imo folk on here  still over look/ dismiss the other team too easily. 

The general feeling is that if we play how we can, press, attack then we'll win. Football isn't that simple, if it was every team Would just do that. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

The good thing about the Premier, most teams are delusional and are far too proud to scrap it out like Morton or Arbroath, which allows more time and space. 

More worrying was our defensive frailties, which resulted in pish football. Defensively we need to be better to attack more 

Finishing in a position what will gain European football preferably 3rd become that force or the best of the rest title. and get to a cup final at hampden again. Its's about time we win the league cup been so long. 

Defensive, boring, mind numbing  football each game away from home.

When we lose a goal, there is no plan B.

More injured journeyman to be signed and the academy to produce absolutely nothing once again.

Jambos1983

Hard to say without seeing how recruitment goes but Hearts should always be in the mix for third at least. Aberdeen and hibs are easily surpassed this season if Savage does well

upgotheheads

I see that our ties at Tynecastle in the diddy cup are televised by Premier sports so wont be available on Hearts TV. Anyone know if Premiere do a pay per match deal and how much?

38 minutes ago, upgotheheads said:

I see that our ties at Tynecastle in the diddy cup are televised by Premier sports so wont be available on Hearts TV. Anyone know if Premiere do a pay per match deal and how much?

I took up their free introductory offer last year and ditched it when Hearts went out the LC. 

It was about a tenner a month and gave you all the televised LC games. It gave you football from Europe as well. 

I'll probably re-register for the LC games. 

davemclaren
6 minutes ago, luckydug said:

I took up their free introductory offer last year and ditched it when Hearts went out the LC. 

It was about a tenner a month and gave you all the televised LC games. It gave you football from Europe as well. 

I'll probably re-register for the LC games. 

I did that as well. Good deal 

2 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

The good thing about the Premier, most teams are delusional and are far too proud to scrap it out like Morton or Arbroath, which allows more time and space. 

More worrying was our defensive frailties, which resulted in pish football. Defensively we need to be better to attack more 

I agree entirely with everything you say and in particular with your final point about defensive strength.  We need to be rock solid at the back and build from there.

The Clough model.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
3 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

I agree entirely with everything you say and in particular with your final point about defensive strength.  We need to be rock solid at the back and build from there.

The Clough model.

Might surprise some, but most good attacking teams need that insurance, early days of Daniel, we had exciting games but gave ourselves too much to do. Losing 13 goals in 5 games from the Scottish Cup final on, shouldnt have been a surprise we would go more defensive, it didnt make for a good watch, but it got a job done.

Next season we need midfielders who can defend as well as attack so we get the ball back and are not chasing games against packed defences

We have the nucleus of a good squad already in place. For me, it's about signing hungry players who are determined to do well for, initially themselves but ultimately for the club. These types in the past have came, left and still to this day, have an affinity with Hearts. Most of the foreign players, Scottish players that never even supported Hearts that came to love the club, the Cameron's, Fulton's, Colquhoun's, Stevenson's etc....they all had a determination and will to win, and that's what the fans want to see n a maroon top.

As for next season....I would always expect Hearts (or at least i used to) to push the top teams as far as they can. I'd always look at no less than third and maybe fourth on a poorer season. Anything less would be seen as failure. The only exception to that rule would be finishing in a 5th as long as a Cup has been lifted. 

Then it comes down to how confident you feel the coaching and system/formation will be. If we sign two or three quality players and play like we did towards the end of last season in a 3-5-2 then i'd hope to be pushing towards the top, even with this management/coaching team (i don't say that lightly). If we return to the defensive, side-to-side tippy-tappy stuff that opposition managers rub their hands at then somewhere around 6/7/8th could be the more realistic target. 

For now though, i'll wait and see what kind of quality arrives first before making a rough prediction.

the sub goalie

Top 4 finish but 3rd should be the aim.

Consistency, pointless beating Rangers at Tynie then getting beat of Hamilton or Livingston the following games.

Sort out our away record, it is depressing.

Start games on the front foot, have a go at teams.

Play to our players strengths, to much of a square peg in to a round hole.

Out with the Old Firm, we have really good resources, stop wasting them.

Writing it down it seems so basic, I genuinely think we make things harder on ourselves than it needs to be.

avhudtheteeshirt

Like most seasons in the past, the club that tries to take on the Old Firm, the following season they tend to struggle?

So Hobos beware!

We should be good enough for top 6 every season, but, if to many changes to the squad can lead to a poor start to the season!

We proved in some games last season that we can compete and play fast flowing football, so the main thing for next season is keeping up the standard of play and results!!!!

No idea! Results are what matters not flowing footballl in Ptemier League. Boring or not.

Bongo 1874
13 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

I don’t think we have any youth players at the moment who can be more than bit part players at best. 

The only way to find that out is by playing them, give them a chance, Henderson has taken his? So why can't Mcgill, Smith, Pillock etc, if we are aiming for top 6 then why not?. 

The Mighty Thor

Unless Neilson goes through some kind of unbelievable transformation then it'll be more of the same.

We are lacking at centre half where Halkett should be moved on and in the midfield where Halliday should be moved on. 

If we play like we did in a lot of the games against plumbers and posties then I fear for us. 

Neilson will be gone by Christmas.  

23 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

Standards.  It’s so important. We’ve lost the pride in performance in the last few years as desperation crept in and results waned.

You need to start at the beginning but the management needs to be good, from picking/buying players and the general outlook imposed on the team. 

I just don’t think this is like going into the 15/16 season where we had an SPL standard side walking the championship and ready to go.  But we’ve had a habit in our history of springing a great season from nowhere. 

Above all, I want the management to be fearless and keep things simple as possible. No square pegs in round holes ,let players get into a rhythm and not make changes week to week because we are meant to be thinking out the box. 😒

3rd and a cup double.   ::troll::

Tremendous post, D4.  👍

You say it well, you say what needs to be said, you say it correctly.

My hat off to you.  👍

11 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

Cba arguing Tbh. 

I won't change on that. 

Bottom 6 is failuire. 

Mate. It doesn’t matter how much you try to separate performance from result, there is a solid relationship between the two things.

Good performances bring good results. Poor performances also bring good results sometimes, but not as often.

So you need to bin this ‘performance doesn’t matter’ line you’ve been peddling for years because clearly it does matter and clearly you get good results more often if you have a decent performance level you can maintain.

it’s really a quite simple concept.

I have literally no expectations under the current manager and his coaching staff.

You never know,  might get pleasantly surprised!!!

siegementality
14 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

A lot of confused posters on here-

Over the last month or so many have-

Continually went on  about being shite, slow, eye bleeding, will struggle to stay up.

Bob is shite, players are shite, Budge is soft, everybody is shite. 

Then go mental about low expectations being set  when Bob mentioned at least top 6.

However, also Ridicule posters that are postive and talk about the top 3/4.

Are folk just in a constant seethe thrashing away at thier key board? 

You can’t spell their correctly. A small point, but just another thing you repeatedly get wrong.

siegementality
37 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

Mate. It doesn’t matter how much you try to separate performance from result, there is a solid relationship between the two things.

Good performances bring good results. Poor performances also bring good results sometimes, but not as often.

So you need to bin this ‘performance doesn’t matter’ line you’ve been peddling for years because clearly it does matter and clearly you get good results more often if you have a decent performance level you can maintain.

You’d think. It won’t stop him banging on about it though.

Bazzas right boot
37 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

You can play poor in the cup and progress and the play better in the league as it develops. 

It's beyond stupidity imo to think lc performances in June/July will in any way be an indicator of the league campaign - and that works both ways. 

In the cup, in the early rounds it's about getting through, performances are secondary. 

It's not even up for debate. Anybody that follows football in a sensible way will agree. 

You can get all jumped up if we beat lower league teams by the odd goal, I'll keep the pants of my head, the drool inside of me and remain calm. 

Folk are chapping at the bit on a poor lc performance even if we win just to spew more shite and translate it to a whole league campaign. 

It's so predictable it's sad. 

Getting through in the cup is all that matters. 

BRAVEHEART1874

I expect us to be 3rd, 4rth or 5th most weeks,  if we sign Ginelli and a decent cb and cm.

Our away form will need to improve, no 451 stuff against anyone outside the sevtims esp as we have played with a back 3 and even haliday did ok. With chit teams like the 2 dundee teams or ross county in the league, no I don't go along with the relagation straight back down negative talk ;)

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

Great post, strangely enough our best seasons have also seen us play great football 🤔🤷🏾‍♂️😆?!?!

Pasquale for King
49 minutes ago, siegementality said:

You can’t spell their correctly. A small point, but just another thing you repeatedly get wrong.

Hahahahaha 😆😂👍🏽

47 minutes ago, siegementality said:

You’d think. It won’t stop him banging on about it though.

Hahahahaha 👏🏾😂🤪

tartofmidlothian
17 hours ago, portobellojambo1 said:

Great post. I take it the Savage meeting wasn't viewed as undermining RN in any way?

In fairness to Neilson, he's consistently achieved somewhere between the minimum expected and the maximum reasonably possible in the Scottish leagues. Next season that means somewhere between 6th and 3rd, and I agree the club has to act fast if we slip into the bottom six.

Cut The Crap
8 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

In a nutshell really. 👍

There are so many ways you could approach expressing expectations.

On the basis that we are Hearts and the resources we have, my expectation is we finish third, we reach both cup semis as a minimum, and qualify for Europe.

We need to get away from the mindset that Euro qualification is an achievement; the achievement should be progress in Europe.  There's no point in going on about being the third force if the club thinks like a fifth or sixth force.

9 hours ago, Morgan said:

Tremendous post, D4.  👍

You say it well, you say what needs to be said, you say it correctly.

My hat off to you.  👍

Thanks, M.  👍🏻   Not all will agree but here’s to the rise of HMFC again🍻🇱🇻

10 hours ago, Smith's right boot said:

You can play poor in the cup and progress and the play better in the league as it develops. 

It's beyond stupidity imo to think lc performances in June/July will in any way be an indicator of the league campaign - and that works both ways. 

In the cup, in the early rounds it's about getting through, performances are secondary. 

It's not even up for debate. Anybody that follows football in a sensible way will agree. 

You can get all jumped up if we beat lower league teams by the odd goal, I'll keep the pants of my head, the drool inside of me and remain calm. 

Folk are chapping at the bit on a poor lc performance even if we win just to spew more shite and translate it to a whole league campaign. 

It's so predictable it's sad. 

Getting through in the cup is all that matters. 

You CAN play poor in the cup and go through. Of course you can.

But I am sure you would agree that sweeping aside lesser opposition is a more encouraging statement on where we are than limping through.

The league cup stages are most definitely an indicator of how we’re going to go, moving forward into the league.

Yes the objective is to qualify first and foremost but if we limp through with poor performances I’ll be seriously concerned about how prepared we are to play teams like Hibs and Aberdeen and go away to the likes of Livvy and St Johnstone.

No Hearts fan is hoping for a catastrophic league cup group. Very few wanted the manager to carry on, see the poll for confirmation, but now that we’re keeping him, we’re fingers crossed hoping he can produce something better than he has produced to date (and I don’t mean 5 years ago )

I watched every game we played last season. The poor performances are well into double figures. A number of times I thought ‘we are shite but somehow we won/drew’ If that level of performance is carried in to next season I’ll be thinking ‘we are shite and we were deservedly beaten’ because that level of performance is going to result in several defeats. Argue all you like about performance being secondary but at the end of the day, performance is what produces the result. Without performance you’re not going to see results in that league.

I cannae believe I'm reading that folk think merely finishing in the top 6 is acceptable. No much wonder we're a ****ing mess with such low standards. 

2 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

I cannae believe I'm reading that folk think merely finishing in the top 6 is acceptable. No much wonder we're a ****ing mess with such low standards. 

Couldn’t agree more. Apparently it’s ok if we play rubbish in the League cup group games. 

Bazzas right boot
12 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

You CAN play poor in the cup and go through. Of course you can.

But I am sure you would agree that sweeping aside lesser opposition is a more encouraging statement on where we are than limping through.

The league cup stages are most definitely an indicator of how we’re going to go, moving forward into the league.

Yes the objective is to qualify first and foremost but if we limp through with poor performances I’ll be seriously concerned about how prepared we are to play teams like Hibs and Aberdeen and go away to the likes of Livvy and St Johnstone.

No Hearts fan is hoping for a catastrophic league cup group. Very few wanted the manager to carry on, see the poll for confirmation, but now that we’re keeping him, we’re fingers crossed hoping he can produce something better than he has produced to date (and I don’t mean 5 years ago )

I watched every game we played last season. The poor performances are well into double figures. A number of times I thought ‘we are shite but somehow we won/drew’ If that level of performance is carried in to next season I’ll be thinking ‘we are shite and we were deservedly beaten’ because that level of performance is going to result in several defeats. Argue all you like about performance being secondary but at the end of the day, performance is what produces the result. Without performance you’re not going to see results in that league.

Not it's not.

If you think a good lc group stage means we will do will in the league then imo you are off on one.

Likewise, if you think that  going through but not playing well ( which is subjective , for example - 4 x 1-0 wins in which we are comfortable could be classed as good, were as 4 x 5-2 victories could be described as concerning, it depends on how you view attack v defence and the how the games went) will mean we will get beat of better teams and not have a good league campaign then you must be new to football.

If you think how we play against a lower division team in June will impact how we play the better teams then I cannot help you, even just last season we played well v Celtic/ hibs but got beat of Brora. and had a better head to head v the better teams in the division.

The games do not have any direct relation at all.

If we do not get through and get knocked out then that is a different matter, but in the LC group stages all that matters is getting through and in our case hoping that guys like Souttar and Haring don't break down.

We could win all our games 10-0, it would have zero impact on the league campaign, just like if we scrape through.

The level of performance in the LC in June is no indicator at all how the league campaign will go.

The cup is all about getting through. If we don't get through the lc group stages then we have a real problem, not a made up one.

Anyway, off topic.

For next season I expect top 4 and not to be knocked out the cup by lower league opposition.

When folk get their knickers in a twist because we haven't beaten every team by 3/4 goals in the lc I am sure there will be threads up telling us how if we can only beat x team by 1 goal then that means we will never beat Rangers, Aberdeen celtic etc and we are doomed to be relegated...... because that is how football works.