Expectations for next season?

tartofmidlothian

siegementality

What a depressing read this thread is. It’s sad to see how low the expectation level has become. Apathy abounds.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bazzas right boot

• davemclaren

• Pasquale for King

• Des Lynam

If we play like we did in the 1st half against Celtic, I'm absolutely expecting the worst.  Even giants like Livingston and Ross County will run all over us.

If we play like we did in the 2nd half and extra time, different story altogether.  Exciting season with us winning much more often than not.

For me, those 4 league cup games will say a lot.  If we're uninspiring or dare I say it, eye bleeding, I will be in deep despair.  We need to hitting these teams with everything we've got.  These games for me are a window to our season and to our head coach.

I want:

3rd

A trophy

Semi final

Derby wins

No derby defeats

I expect/suspect:

5th

A quarter final 

Last 16/32

A derby win

No derby defeats

Bazzas right boot
11 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

given the approach in away games the season past I’d still say a complete overhaul in his cautious approach. I hope it’s attacking but not holding my breath. 

Given his away record in general relative to our historical away form we'll be fine. 

We need to reverse our home for of recent years imo, do that and we'll be more than fine. 

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, Kiwidoug said:

If we play like we did in the 1st half against Celtic, I'm absolutely expecting the worst.  Even giants like Livingston and Ross County will run all over us.

If we play like we did in the 2nd half and extra time, different story altogether.  Exciting season with us winning much more often than not.

For me, those 4 league cup games will say a lot.  If we're uninspiring or dare I say it, eye bleeding, I will be in deep despair.  We need to hitting these teams with everything we've got.  These games for me are a window to our season and to our head coach.

Nonsense, we need to qualify for the next round. 

Nothing will be decided in the league group games other than qualification. 

The performances mean nothing and will have no reflection on the league campaign or the sc. 

2 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

The performances mean nothing and will have no reflection on the league campaign or the sc. 

On this point, we simply couldn't agree less.  I won't demean you however by describing your earnestly held opinion as nonsense.

Auldbenches
21 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

given the approach in away games the season past I’d still say a complete overhaul in his cautious approach. I hope it’s attacking but not holding my breath. 

There is no way our away form last season was an improvement on the previous few years.  

We really need to start going for teams away from home. 

Just making the top 6 will only be acceptable if we are above that lot.  

We need to finish tbe season above them or it's failure.  No excuses as the resources are there.  

Auldbenches
18 minutes ago, siegementality said:

What a depressing read this thread is. It’s sad to see how low the expectation level has become. Apathy abounds.

Pretty sad seeing making the too 6 as a decent season.  

Remember when Budge said anything less than 4th was unacceptable?   That better still be the case.  

7 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

A mediocre LC group campaign, qualification or not, may have an impact on Neilson's, ahem, popularity.

He has very little credit in the bank, Tosh.

Auldbenches
30 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Performances will definitely be important after what we've experienced the last few seasons.  

We've had shite performances in the group stages and that has lead to shite seasons every time.  

I think you'll be in the minority thinking it'll be ok to just get through them.  

12 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

Performances will definitely be important after what we've experienced the last few seasons.  

We've had shite performances in the group stages and that has lead to shite seasons every time.  

I think you'll be in the minority thinking it'll be ok to just get through them.  

Exactly.

davemclaren
13 minutes ago, No Idle Talk said:

I think we'll do well. How well? Difficult to say.

Que sera sera…

professorfate

I think Hearts should be challenging for top 4 no lower than that. I would say Hibs will have sold their prized assets and Aberdeen are going to be bottom six in my opinion.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Same as I've always felt every season for 30 odd years - 

1st - Dreamland

2nd - Absolutely incredible

Close-ish 3rd - Great season

Distant 3rd - Good season

4th - Okay

5th - Bad season

6th or lower - unacceptable

Draw depending, at least quarters in cups. Semi or final is a welcome bonus.

I want to see 3rd as it reflects the investment in the club and money spent on the squad. I expect 7th but might change that view slightly if we make some good signings. 

5 hours ago, Auldbenches said:

Pretty sad seeing making the too 6 as a decent season.  

Remember when Budge said anything less than 4th was unacceptable?   That better still be the case.  

It isn’t the case. Establishing ourselves in the top flight is next seasons target. 

"When I talked to Robbie about coming back I told him 'I want you to view this as a minimum of three years'.

"We have to get through this season, we have to re-establish again next season then we have to get back to where we need to be.

Ethan Hunt
23 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

"When I talked to Robbie about coming back I told him 'I want you to view this as a minimum of three years'.

"We have to get through this season, we have to re-establish again next season then we have to get back to where we need to be.

And therein lies the problem. Budge. 

That aside there is no chance he’ll last three years. No chance.

Bongo 1874

Top 6 😂outwith celtic and rangers, Hearts are the biggest team in Scotland, finishing anything less than 3rd place is a failure in my eyes, but if Robbie is willing to play youth and promote within I would accept 4th-5th but feel the club should be aiming higher, don't care what anyone says we have the best academy in Scotland, the best training facilities, it's time you stepped it up Hearts. 

Edited by Bongo 1874

Really depends who we bring in,the current team are a bottom 6 stick on.We need 4 or 5 decent signings but finances are going to make that difficult.I’d be happy with top 6 tbh.

4 hours ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

1st - Dreamland

4th - Okay

5th - Bad season

Very, very good analysis imo.

Realistic.

5 hours ago, Eldar Hadzimehmedovic said:

1st - Dreamland

4th - Okay

5th - Bad season

Wonder if someone could evaluate through our history where the club is v. those measurements, albeit resources would also need to be taken into account.

The Gorgie

Last time we had a thread like this I said anything less than 4th would be unacceptable. We finished 12th...

Nookie Bear
8 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

Standards.  It’s so important. We’ve lost the pride in performance in the last few years as desperation crept in and results waned.

You need to start at the beginning but the management needs to be good, from picking/buying players and the general outlook imposed on the team. 

I just don’t think this is like going into the 15/16 season where we had an SPL standard side walking the championship and ready to go.  But we’ve had a habit in our history of springing a great season from nowhere. 

Above all, I want the management to be fearless and keep things simple as possible. No square pegs in round holes ,let players get into a rhythm and not make changes week to week because we are meant to be thinking out the box. 😒

3rd and a cup double.   ::troll::

This ^^

No need for targets, just get out there and compete 100%

No idea where we may end up until we see what the transfer window brings. I suspect 5th.

3 hours ago, GinRummy said:

I want to see 3rd as it reflects the investment in the club and money spent on the squad. I expect 7th but might change that view slightly if we make some good signings. 

Neilson has the starting point of a season to settle the squad, find the rhythm and go to work. 

He’s not coming in during December or January and trying to steady a ship or save a plummeting side in decline. 

However, I’m sure most of us know new players need time to bed in and that could possibly lead to early inconsistency , but within that you should have an indication of where the team is heading in respect of mentality and how It approaches matches.

He needs to be really positive during any small dips and not become cautious.  You used to see that with the likes of Jefferies teams who always responded after a defeat or indifferent performance. The manager’s  mentality was stamped all over the side. 

Nookie Bear
1 hour ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Top 6 😂outwith celtic and rangers, Hearts are the biggest team in Scotland, finishing anything less than 3rd place is a failure in my eyes, but if Robbie is willing to play youth and promote within I would accept 4th-5th but feel the club should be aiming higher, don't care what anyone says we have the best academy in Scotland, the best training facilities, it's time you stepped it up Hearts. 

I don’t think we have any youth players at the moment who can be more than bit part players at best. 

7 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

If he doesn’t have them up for those games he’ll be done. Anyone excusing losses or poor performances is an apologist of failure. 

Bad Religion
7 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

On this point, we simply couldn't agree less.  I won't demean you however by describing your earnestly held opinion as nonsense.

I completely agree with you on this and unsurprisingly, Tosh is clueless as per usual.

It is essential we play well in these games. They’re games we should be winning convincingly and they will set the tone for the season. 

Tokyo Drifter
10 hours ago, tartofmidlothian said:

What do we want to see from Hearts? What's acceptable and what isn't?

I've never started a season demanding a cup, the best we can hope for is to not go out to a team below us in the league. But this time we really need to get our fingers out and follow St Johnstone's example, Rangers will be trying to win the league again and Celtic will be trying to catch them while in transition. Before long they'll both be used to winning again, we need to attack the cups like we did Hibs and Celtic last season, not Brora and Alloa.

In the league I really want to see us qualify for Europe, but I don't think we can't ask for any more than staying in the top six and keeping in touch with the teams going for Europe. Our starting XI's one of the best in the country though, I hope they take a bit of pride this time.

Happy with fifth place if we're at least challenging for fourth (or third) right up to the end. What I don't want is us and St Johnstone (or whoever) stranded 10 points behind the Sheep and the Flumps as they slug it out again. In terms of cups, we still haven't won the diddy cup in my lifetime so I'd be aiming at that.

Nookie Bear

League Cup (or whatever it is) sets the tone for the first quarter of the season. 

Four convincing wins and Robbie can start his rehabilitation with the support. 

Famous 1874

Top 4 minimum in the league, hopefully 3rd. 
Win all derbies against Hibs, any dropped points is unacceptable for me. 
2 solid cup runs, draw dependent. E.g if we get an OF team away early on then that’s unfortunate.

Bazzas right boot
7 hours ago, Auldbenches said:

No team will care about performances in the lc group stages, winning is all that matters. 

If we go through then I'll be happy. 

There will be folk moaning even if we do that tho. For me that's the priority. Performances are secondary. 

It works both ways tho, even if we do smash teams in the league cup group stages only a fool would think that will automatically transfer to the league campaign. 

Also, We never had a shite league season the season just past, we Litterally couldn't have finished higher in the league. 

Nookie Bear

The fans aren’t stupid - despite what some on here think - and they will know by seeing the LC games if the team is set up and prepared for the new season. 

Bad Religion
1 minute ago, Nookie Bear said:

The fans aren’t stupid - despite what some on here think - and they will know by seeing the LC games if the team is set up and prepared for the new season. 

Excuses being made already by the shills. 

Leveins Battalion

I expect the renaissance of the greatest football team in the World,i expect the twirly,a raft of new songs for our new hero's,i expect 5 years of shite to be confined to the history books with a young vibrant team who know what it means to play for the Hearts.I expect Gino and GMS to run ragged shite like Paul McGinn,i expect Boyce to hit 20,i expect Craig Gordon to remain the best keeper in Scotland,i expect Aaron McEneff to kick on and be a standout.I expect scenes.:scenes:

The only thing i don't expect is a Wendy's Pie on Gorgie Road,as she had to close the shop.:jj_facepalm:

Nookie Bear
6 minutes ago, Bad Religion said:

Excuses being made already by the shills. 

Expectations being lowered before a ball is kicked. 

But Robbie had us 3rd before. 
Millions pouring in from FoH

Fans still engaged and buying STs

James Anderson on board

Hibs are hibs

Aberdeen buying rubbish

Even Celtic looking ropey 

What’s not to be bullish about? 🤷‍♂️

We should be in top half of the table at least.   Imperative we get off to a good start.  

Bad Religion
2 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

James Anderson on board

Hibs are hibs

Aberdeen buying rubbish

We all know the definition of insanity. 

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

James Anderson on board

Hibs are hibs

Aberdeen buying rubbish

A lot of confused posters on here-

Over the last month or so many have-

Continually went on  about being shite, slow, eye bleeding, will struggle to stay up.

Bob is shite, players are shite, Budge is soft, everybody is shite. 

Then go mental about low expectations being set  when Bob mentioned at least top 6.

However, also Ridicule posters that are postive and talk about the top 3/4.

Are folk just in a constant seethe thrashing away at thier key board? 

14 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

James Anderson on board

Hibs are hibs

Aberdeen buying rubbish

Well said. 

1 hour ago, Debut 4 said:

Neilson has the starting point of a season to settle the squad, find the rhythm and go to work. 

He’s not coming in during December or January and trying to steady a ship or save a plummeting side in decline. 

However, I’m sure most of us know new players need time to bed in and that could possibly lead to early inconsistency , but within that you should have an indication of where the team is heading in respect of mentality and how It approaches matches.

He needs to be really positive during any small dips and not become cautious.  You used to see that with the likes of Jefferies teams who always responded after a defeat or indifferent performance. The manager’s  mentality was stamped all over the side. 

Good post.

My issue is that when we lose a bit of form, like Levein, Robbie reverts to extremely defensive measures that then make goals fairly thin on the ground. The 'blip' we seen last season, if rumours are to be believed, needed a clear the air discussion with senior players, Savage, Neilson and coaches. We then went out and attacked, thrashing Alloa. Anyone could see RN was getting it wrong but nothing changed until we were out the cup and humiliated at home by QoS. Everyone could see we were struggling long before these two results but Robbie was far too slow to do anything about it. Leave things too long and blips become slumps in form that can be almost impossible to turn around.

David McCaig

When you look at the spine of our team, I actually think we'll do surprisingly well.

In goals we have arguably Scotland's greatest ever goalkeeper with Craig Gordon

If John Souttar stays fit we have Scotland's best central defender

In midfield, Peter Haring showed glimpses of his old self last season, but clearly lacked fitness.  A full pre-season at 100% intensity should seem return to being one of the country's best CMs.

Up front we have a natural goalscorer in Liam Boyce.

A side with a great keeper and top quality striker will generally win more games than it lose.

As well as the 4 players mentioned above, there are plenty of other solid players in the squad such as Smith, Kingsley, McAneff and GMS.  A small number of high quality additions would make us a very good team indeed.  For example, if you were to add Allan Campbell and Jimmy Dunne to what we already have, that would instantly be a comfortably better side than the Hibs team that finished 3rd last season.

lost in space
1 hour ago, Rave MacPherson said:

Imposters. 

Wage thief. 

Kick on. 

Eye bleeding football. 

Journeymen. 

I expect some new clichés for next season

How about -

indolent idleness

faintHEARTedness

sissiness

endless timidity

pussillanimous chicken (try shouting that with a mouthful of steak pie!)

30 minutes ago, David McCaig said:

When you look at the spine of our team, I actually think we'll do surprisingly well.

In goals we have arguably Scotland's greatest ever goalkeeper with Craig Gordon

If John Souttar stays fit we have Scotland's best central defender

In midfield, Peter Haring showed glimpses of his old self last season, but clearly lacked fitness.  A full pre-season at 100% intensity should seem return to being one of the country's best CMs.

Up front we have a natural goalscorer in Liam Boyce.

A side with a great keeper and top quality striker will generally win more games than it lose.

As well as the 4 players mentioned above, there are plenty of other solid players in the squad such as Smith, Kingsley, McAneff and GMS.  A small number of high quality additions would make us a very good team indeed.  For example, if you were to add Allan Campbell and Jimmy Dunne to what we already have, that would instantly be a comfortably better side than the Hibs team that finished 3rd last season.

I agree and am also looking forward to seeing Euan Henderson making his breakthrough into an accomplished Premier League player. 

My expectations are at least fourth in the league, later stages of cups and putting the Hibs back in their box. 

Robbie has got to show he's up for the challenge any indication that he thinks battling the likes of Motherwell for sixth place and scraping LC group matches by the odd goal should see him out by September imo. 

42 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Good post.

My issue is that when we lose a bit of form, like Levein, Robbie reverts to extremely defensive measures that then make goals fairly thin on the ground. The 'blip' we seen last season, if rumours are to be believed, needed a clear the air discussion with senior players, Savage, Neilson and coaches. We then went out and attacked, thrashing Alloa. Anyone could see RN was getting it wrong but nothing changed until we were out the cup and humiliated at home by QoS. Everyone could see we were struggling long before these two results but Robbie was far too slow to do anything about it. Leave things too long and blips become slumps in form that can be almost impossible to turn around.

Agree.  👍🏻