NHL playoffs

Jimmy McNulty

25 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

A disastrous turnover allowed Ottawa to score a mere 7 seconds after Leafs made it 3-2.  That effectively killed the comeback.

I know. But an even worse turnover should of been converted to male it 4-4 instead of 5-3, which wouldn't of left an empty net so probably went to overtime and maybe won. 

Your not wrong like. But I am looking at the positives. Convert that one on one and despite our crap defence it could of still been a win so good to have still been in it despite our weaknesses 

• Replies 16.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gershwin

• Chester™

• JamboInSouthsea

• alwaysthereinspirit

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And so the merry-go-round begins at Murrayfield:

http://www.edcapitals.com/news/edinburgh-capitals-roster-departures

Bit more to it all. They left right on the eve of an away double header as well, with the first game having us down a man due to suspected concussion and our captain already out with a concussion.

Edited by Chester™

7 hours ago, Chester™ said:

And the EIHL Department of 'Player Safety' strikes again:

http://pointstreaksites.com/view/eliteicehockey/latest-news/news_494800

:muggy:

The above decisions, in the Sheffield-Belfast game, has caused such a stir, there's a petition been set up and its now being reviewed by an 'independent' panel:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/ice-hockey/41770928

Edited by Chester™

3 hours ago, Chester™ said:

The above decisions, in the Sheffield-Belfast game, has caused such a stir, there's a petition been set up and its now being reviewed by an 'independent' panel:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/ice-hockey/41770928

Am I overreacting when I say that hit on the Belfast player reminds me of Bertuzzi sucker punching Steve Moore?

Pretty shady play imho. 

7 minutes ago, Gershwin said:

Am I overreacting when I say that hit on the Belfast player reminds me of Bertuzzi sucker punching Steve Moore?

Pretty shady play imho. 

Not really. Been mentioned by plenty folk. Regardless of 'mitigation', you just don't do that.

2 hours ago, Alan_R said:

Taking the kids to the Ed caps Halloween game tonight.

What's happened to shegalo? Must've missed something

Coventry's Paquette attacked a prone on the ice, Trakhanov. Shegalo came out and had a bit of minor fisticuffs, initially given 2+2 for roughing. That was assessed incorrectly as any goalie fighting, in particular with a blocker, should be given a match penalty (which he was upgraded to). The extra game was a nonsense though.

Rather :pleasing: night in Ottawa so far....

Sharles Hoooodon gets his first two goals.

Karlsson is -5 after two periods.

And Phaneuf just fell on his arse with no one around him *****.

On 22/10/2017 at 10:11, hearts151 said:

I know. But an even worse turnover should of been converted to male it 4-4 instead of 5-3, which wouldn't of left an empty net so probably went to overtime and maybe won. 

Your not wrong like. But I am looking at the positives. Convert that one on one and despite our crap defence it could of still been a win so good to have still been in it despite our weaknesses 

Another loss for our fading Leafs last night, albeit against a very good Blues team.

But that's 5 losses in the last 6 games.  The 'D' is so porous it's painful to watch.

54 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Another loss for our fading Leafs last night, albeit against a very good Blues team.

But that's 5 losses in the last 6 games.  The 'D' is so porous it's painful to watch.

Aye. Famous last hopefull words from me eh ? ? 

3 hours ago, hearts151 said:

Aye. Famous last hopefull words from me eh ? ? 

I suspect one of the young offensive stars/prospects (e.g. Marner) will get traded for a No.2 D man in the next 6 months.

Nice to see the Leafs falling again though :lol:

Not only have the NHL refused to let their players go to the Olympics, it now looks like the KHL will refuse too.

What an absolute shit show.

27 minutes ago, Chester™ said:

Not only have the NHL refused to let their players go to the Olympics, it now looks like the KHL will refuse too.

What an absolute shit show.

That's pretty gash.

Always love the Olympic hockey.

Cory McNamara

5 questions with Coffey:

https://www.nhl.com/news/five-questions-with-half-of-famer-paul-coffey/c-292653716?tid=278387990

"Listen, we're honored and privileged to have our team named the best of all time [ The 1984-85 Oilers ]. But that's unfair to a lot of great hockey players -- the Montreal Canadiens, the New York Islanders and the Pittsburgh Penguins, among others. There have been some great teams. and we're just the one that got that last critical vote, I guess. How about Bobby Orr and the Bruins in the 1970s? They were pretty special, too. And the Philadelphia Flyers' teams; they had a different brand of hockey but were so good. I think that [Oilers] team could have played against anybody and had some success."

Thank you, Paul.

c6066b29c95d328a5a444391d60e2b8e.jpg

Cory McNamara

Statistical leaders:

1. Steven Stamkos:   7 goals, 21 assists, 28 points (Tampa Bay Lightning)

2. Nikita Kucherov: 15/11/26 (Tampa Bay Lightning)

5. Auston Matthews 10/9/19  (Toronto Maple Leafs)

13. Sean Couturier 9/9/18 (Philadelphia Flyers)

19. Jacub Voracek 3/15/18 (Philadelphia Flyers)

40. Nazem Kadri 9/5/14 (Toronto Maple Leafs)

67. Brendan Gallagher 7/5/12 (Montreal Canadiens)

94. Jonathan Drouin 3/8/11 (Montreal Canadiens)

Cory McNamara

Blackhawks at Flyers 1:3

The Flyers extended their home-winning streak against the Blackhawks to an incredible 14 straight games. Their last loss came 21-years ago to this day - Nov. 9, 1996. During the 21-year streak, the Flyers have now out-scored Chicago, 46 to 21

Statistical Leaders:

6. Jakub Voracek: 4 goals, 17 assists, 21 points

7. Claude Giroux: 9/11/20

10. Sean Couturier: 10/9/19

So, why Sean Couturier plays in the first line?

https://www.nhl.com/news/sean-couturier-is-blossoming-with-flyers/c-292758040

All these years, a lot of people just thought I was a defensive guy, I always knew I could do more, be more of an offensive threat. I was patient, waited for my time, and my chance. Finally got it this year and I've been enjoying it and trying to take advantage of it. I'm 24, turning 25 soon. It's really the year where if I wanted to be known as more than just a defensive guy I had to step up and put pressure on the coaches, the organization, to put me in this situation.

But if I wanted to get a bigger opportunity I felt I needed to finally speak and I felt I've earned the right to demand a bigger role.

And that another player left Edinburgh today - Alexander Islamov has had his contract terminated by the club (it says immediately but its been rumoured for around three weeks). Disappointed at this one, as I think was actually pretty decent but he appears to divide opinion:

http://www.edcapitals.com/news/roster-changes-injury-update

All of this right on the eve of another away double header and missing three imports, two with concussion and one injured. Even with our 'spare' imports, we're four down for the weekend away to Guildford and Cardiff.

On 10/11/2017 at 20:14, Chester™ said:

And that another player left Edinburgh today - Alexander Islamov has had his contract terminated by the club (it says immediately but its been rumoured for around three weeks). Disappointed at this one, as I think was actually pretty decent but he appears to divide opinion:

http://www.edcapitals.com/news/roster-changes-injury-update

All of this right on the eve of another away double header and missing three imports, two with concussion and one injured. Even with our 'spare' imports, we're four down for the weekend away to Guildford and Cardiff.

Was quite shocked when I looked at the league table! How come this team is so uncompetitive?

On 10/11/2017 at 19:46, Cory McNamara said:

Blackhawks at Flyers 1:3

Statistical Leaders:

6. Jakub Voracek: 4 goals, 17 assists, 21 points

7. Claude Giroux: 9/11/20

10. Sean Couturier: 10/9/19

So, why Sean Couturier plays in the first line?

https://www.nhl.com/news/sean-couturier-is-blossoming-with-flyers/c-292758040

Couturier has been guff for years. What’s behind the turn around? Do Philly have a new coach this year?

29 minutes ago, Gershwin said:

Was quite shocked when I looked at the league table! How come this team is so uncompetitive?

A number of things. 3 fairly long term injuries have hampered us coupled with 3 walkouts at the same time. We've a D thats useless and that refuses to hit anything and the worst goalie I've seen in a Caps shirt, which has the effect of killing the team's confidence, both on the ice and with the fans. And, of course, the owner's inability to change things when its needed.

Most agree we don't mind coming bottom if the team looks like it gives a shite and are competitive in games. But what we're getting is unacceptable.

I think what makes it worse is it was meant to be different this season. There was a real buzz about us, not just in Edinburgh, but around the league. Its just not worked out and thats whats made it more difficult to watch.

Cory McNamara
5 hours ago, Gershwin said:

What’s behind the turn around? Do Philly have a new coach this year?

The need for change. The head coach (Dave Hakstol) and general manager (Ron Hextall) are still working.

Michael Raffl (LW) wasn't great in first line (51 goals in four years). Giroux & Voracek were bad during the last season too, especially during the 5 on 5 situations.

Couturier led the Flyers with 17 points in the last 20 games of 2016-17. So, now he takes the opportunity to show his offensive skills. He is a brilliant defensive-minded attacker, very solid in penalty kill and stuff like that. He was a prolific pointscorer at junior level. Now he is a center forward in the first line, with Giroux as LW (first time in career) and Voracek as a RW. Everything works right now (except a few strange home games).

He is a World champion (2015), was strong and stable at World Cup (2016) as part of North America team. Now it's time to change some things around.

7 hours ago, Chester™ said:

A number of things. 3 fairly long term injuries have hampered us coupled with 3 walkouts at the same time. We've a D thats useless and that refuses to hit anything and the worst goalie I've seen in a Caps shirt, which has the effect of killing the team's confidence, both on the ice and with the fans. And, of course, the owner's inability to change things when its needed.

Most agree we don't mind coming bottom if the team looks like it gives a shite and are competitive in games. But what we're getting is unacceptable.

I think what makes it worse is it was meant to be different this season. There was a real buzz about us, not just in Edinburgh, but around the league. Its just not worked out and thats whats made it more difficult to watch.

I have started following Solway Sharks on fb, watch the occasional video of their games, They seem to have a good set up there.

38 minutes ago, Gershwin said:

What's happening at the Caps? Winding up order?

Here's the pre statement, statement:

http://www.edcapitals.com/news/edinburgh-capitals-update

Some are saying its nothing to worry about and its a restructuring of the business (there's also been talk of investment coming in but I doubt that myself). It might be a 'phoenixing' where one parent company dissolves and another opens but minus the debts (a very familiar tale in UK hockey). The team signed a new import on Tuesday and flew him in. The games are on at the weekend. That doesnt exactly hint at a team about to go bust tbh. Winding up orders are used all the time by HMRC to get a business to pay their tax. There's been no update on Companies House about the parent company either, so I'm not overly sure if its has been wound up or not.

Edited by Chester™

3 hours ago, Chester™ said:

Here's the pre statement, statement:

http://www.edcapitals.com/news/edinburgh-capitals-update

Some are saying its nothing to worry about and its a restructuring of the business (there's also been talk of investment coming in but I doubt that myself). It might be a 'phoenixing' where one parent company dissolves and another opens but minus the debts (a very familiar tale in UK hockey). The team signed a new import on Tuesday and flew him in. The games are on at the weekend. That doesnt exactly hint at a team about to go bust tbh. Winding up orders are used all the time by HMRC to get a business to pay their tax. There's been no update on Companies House about the parent company either, so I'm not overly sure if its has been wound up or not.

I got the most polite email ever from the Caps web team earlier, offering a 50% discount for this weekend.

9 minutes ago, Gershwin said:

I got the most polite email ever from the Caps web team earlier, offering a 50% discount for this weekend.

They've been doing lots of promotions this season to try and get folk through the door (they've got new folk helping out with PR). First time they've went beyond the Groupon deals. Its most welcome.

Cory McNamara
16 hours ago, Gershwin said:

Watching the Habs against Arizona...

The Coyotes have to be one of the worst NHL-level teams I've ever seen.

But for Philadelphia and Montreal they are a hard nuts, even at their own ice fields; third win for Arizona - life is not so cloudy for them right now :qqb006:

Leafs won their 5th game in a row last night, scoring the only goal of the game with a mere 2.2 seconds left in O/T.

They're playing much more disciplined hockey than earlier in the season, plus getting outstanding goal tending.

Cory McNamara
3 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Leafs won their 5th game in a row last night, scoring the only goal of the game with a mere 2.2 seconds left in O/T.

They're playing much more disciplined hockey than earlier in the season, plus getting outstanding goal tending.

When you beat New Jersey 1:0 - it means something. It's nice to see James van Riemsdyk on fire. I miss him, he is a good hockey player.

Chris+Pronger+James+Vanriemsdyk+Boston+B

It seems, that Patrick Marleau is at home right now.

:pleasing: 2-0 to the mighty Leafs... 

I put bets of over 1.5 goals in first period and puck line of canadiens +1.5... Not daein very well there haha

On 18/10/2017 at 13:16, Gershwin said:

How's the 2018 draft class looking?

:muggy:

:pleasing:

Looking life potential first pickers 

:pleasing:

Edited by hearts151

1 hour ago, J.T.F.Robertson said:

I'm switching between UCLA / USC and the Leafs / Canadiens, batting .500 right now.

The Leafs/Canadiens game was only interesting for Leaf fans.  The third period was brutal for Habs fans.

That's six wins in a row for the Leafs but, more importantly, their D has improved significantly in recent weeks, and Freddie is at the top of his game in goal.  That's a good combination.

THE LOSING STREAK IS OVER!!! THE EDINBURGH CAPITALS HAVE WON A GAME AGAIN!!! :jjyay:

A much more improved performance and a 5-2 win over Coventry. Lets hope its a kickstarter for the season.

Second in the table Manchester Storm having *ahem* some issues with their flight home from Belfast - the team left and two players are currently reeking in the airport, unable to get home. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

alwaysthereinspirit
On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 12:22, alwaysthereinspirit said:

Bruins on a tear. That's one in a row. Who can stop us?:stupid_post:

Who could have known that when I posted this that it would be another 4 weeks before we finally won 2 regular on the trot.

Edited by alwaysthereinspirit

14 hours ago, Chester™ said:

Second in the table Manchester Storm having *ahem* some issues with their flight home from Belfast - the team left and two players are currently reeking in the airport, unable to get home. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Any ideas who it was? Seen the photo of them last night but couldn't work out who.

55 minutes ago, rossaldinho said:

Any ideas who it was? Seen the photo of them last night but couldn't work out who.

There's been chat Rosehill was one of them (despite the hashtag).

A few online saying it didnt go down like that and the post has since been removed. I suspect, though, its been removed after someone having a word.

• Maple Leaf unpinned this topic
  • Maple Leaf pinned this topic