NHL playoffs

Jimmy McNulty

55 minutes ago, Chester™ said:

There's been chat Rosehill was one of them (despite the hashtag).

A few online saying it didnt go down like that and the post has since been removed. I suspect, though, its been removed after someone having a word.

The one on the left of the photo looks like Rosehill but it's hard to tell with half his head missing out the photo. 

• Replies 16.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gershwin

• Chester™

• JamboInSouthsea

• alwaysthereinspirit

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

37 minutes ago, rossaldinho said:

The one on the left of the photo looks like Rosehill but it's hard to tell with half his head missing out the photo. 

The other one is meant to be Springer.

Regardless of the story, the captain isn't setting the best example.

Cory McNamara

One of the funniest moments I have ever seen. 20 seconds before the end of the third period. I like some fun during the football & hockey matches. I don't understand why is everything and everybody so serious now - sometimes it's unbearable. But Scott is the one who can bring some fun + he is a good goalscorer and player. I will never forget this moment.

Flyers won 4:3 in OT.

From Zero to Hero:

hartnell.jpg?w=594

Cory McNamara

--------------------------------First NHL G------GP----Won---Lost-----Tied--OTL--Points---Points Percentage

Montreal Canadiens --(1917–18)---6,496---3,345----2,180----837---134----7,661-----.590    

Philadelphia Flyers----(1967–68)---3,882---1,934----1,345----457---146----4,471-----.576     
Boston Bruins------------(1924–25)---6,336---3,065----2,329----791---151----7,072-----.558

First NHL Game

GP - Games Played

OTL - Overtime Loss

I hope guys will look at this table before the next meeting. It says everything.

12 hours ago, Cory McNamara said:

--------------------------------First NHL G------GP----Won---Lost-----Tied--OTL--Points---Points Percentage

Montreal Canadiens --(1917–18)---6,496---3,345----2,180----837---134----7,661-----.590    

Philadelphia Flyers----(1967–68)---3,882---1,934----1,345----457---146----4,471-----.576     
Boston Bruins------------(1924–25)---6,336---3,065----2,329----791---151----7,072-----.558

First NHL Game

GP - Games Played

OTL - Overtime Loss

I hope guys will look at this table before the next meeting. It says everything.

Does it say no Cups since 1975?

:jjyay:

Cory McNamara

10 defeats in a row now, while most of these games were close (5 on 5 game is fine). Interesting - one year ago there were 10 wins in row and no playoffs at the end of the season, and the game during the 5 on 5 situations was bad. In 2008 - 10 defeats (February) and Conference finals. What now?

Defence should be improved - there are still 3 players who are younger than 23, Gostisbehere is 24.
Radko's 10 game ban doesn't help too.

Cheap goals and easy penalties are the biggest problems.
Some players are trying too hard when it's better to do some simple things.

There are still a lot of things to do, many games and some time to develop connections between the players.
3-4 additional games like that and some changes may happen. 

9 hours ago, Chester™ said:

Does it say no Cups since 1975?

Well, it's a regular season table. It screams 35 game unbeaten streak, for example.

There are a lot of things in playoffs to remember too, like:

Keith Primeau goal in 5 OT:

Victorious Flyers against Boston in game 7, after 3 defeats in a row (and 3 consecutive goals against during the first p.):

Things like that and many others.

12 hours ago, Cory McNamara said:

Well, it's a regular season table. It screams 35 game unbeaten streak, for example.

Regular season records mean feck all if you dont win the big one. Ask the Washington Capitals and their Presidents Trophy banners. :jjyay:

Cory McNamara
6 hours ago, Chester™ said:

Regular season records mean feck all if you dont win the big one. Ask the Washington Capitals and their Presidents Trophies

It means that my Team is the most competitive and consistent (without long periods of bad results) in the league. Philadelphia has 2 Stanley Cups and 8 Conference Championships titles (it's a trophy too). 8 Stanley Cup Finals during different decades. Philadelphia has 38 playoff appearances (first in 1968 - first season)  - with 17 in a row, 2 in a row since the start of the organization.

3 Stanley Cups Finals in a row.

So, this means that nobody will have an easy day with Philadelphia during the both phases - regular season games or playoffs games. That's why this table is important.

Yes, this is the most competitive league in the world (baseball now is more predictable), so I don't expect Cups every year.

But, for example, I'm happy that Philadelphia is the only team in the NHL during the 80's which bravely fought with the mighty Edmonton in the 1987 final (3:4). We could have won in game 7, but unfortunately it was not our day. But still - a great team and great memories.

There are a lot of great teams without the Cup (or without another one): Buffalo in the middle of 70's, few possible for Boston in 70's, Rangers - late 70's, Canucks - 1994, North Stars - 1991 and others. This league is tough, these teams are great, their results and players are important - the reason we remember them.

"Some teams" have a long periods of bad results - it's hard to say anything good about a few ones in 70's or 80's.

Islanders had a great team with wonderful players in late 70's and 80's (4 Cups in a row) - after that they disappeared (that's why they are not leaders in this table). Detroit after 50's and Chicago before the modern times?

So, no - there is no reason to ask Capitals about anything; they have 1 Final (1998) and one Conference title; and years of inconstancy before that.

"Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose; they've lost that one" - Ally McCoist

Everybody has their own path in this life, and every team too; I am happy with mine.

Edited by Cory McNamara

50 minutes ago, Cory McNamara said:

It means that my Team is the most competitive and consistent (without long periods of bad results) in the league. Philadelphia has 2 Stanley Cups and 8 Conference Championships titles (it's a trophy too). 8 Stanley Cup Finals during different decades. Philadelphia has 38 playoff appearances (first in 1968 - first season)  - with 17 in a row, 2 in a row since the start of the organization.

3 Stanley Cups Finals in a row.

So, this means that nobody will have an easy day with Philadelphia during the both phases - regular season games or playoffs games. That's why this table is important.

Yes, this is the most competitive league in the world (baseball now is more predictable), so I don't expect Cups every year.

But, for example, I'm happy that Philadelphia is the only team in the NHL during the 80's which bravely fought with the mighty Edmonton in the 1987 final (3:4). We could have won in game 7, but unfortunately it was not our day. But still - a great team and great memories.

There are a lot of great teams without the Cup (or without another one): Buffalo in the middle of 70's, few possible for Boston in 70's, Rangers - late 70's, Canucks - 1994, North Stars - 1991 and others. This league is tough, these teams are great, their results and players are important - the reason we remember them.

"Some teams" have a long periods of bad results - it's hard to say anything good about a few ones in 70's or 80's.

Islanders had a great team with wonderful players in late 70's and 80's (4 Cups in a row) - after that they disappeared (that's why they are not leaders in this table). Detroit after 50's and Chicago before the modern times?

So, no - there is no reason to ask Capitals about anything; they have 1 Final (1998) and one Conference title; and years of inconstancy before that.

"Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose; they've lost that one" - Ally McCoist

Everybody has their own path in this life, and every team too; I am happy with mine.

But still:

Nae Cups since 1975.

:jjyay:

Cory McNamara

Oh, about Washington with their playoffs appearances before 1998 final - from what I remember they were a victims of the first round most of the time. Still - no finals & conference titles, bad first years.

It's more like not "inconstancy" (poor word in this case) - they had some constancy in the first rounds;

8 times, I believe :qqb006: 

Yes, Islanders trashed Edmonton in 1983 too, but I'm confident that 1984-1987 Oilers are even stronger. In 1983 they still were in growing phase. 

Edited by Cory McNamara

Cory McNamara

I almost forgot:

Red Tires at Myroyal 1:10

Satan's Team at Arizona 0:5

Oil at Flames 7:5

Impressive results, it seems that for some people 10 is a positive number right now.

23 minutes ago, Cory McNamara said:

I almost forgot:

Red Tires at Myroyal 1:10

Satan's Team at Arizona 0:5

Oil at Flames 7:5

Impressive results, it seems that for some people 10 is a positive number right now.

Detroit were absolutely dogshit TBH. Their D is honkin'.

My man crush on Paul Byron is showing no signs of waning though. His skating is insane.

Cory McNamara

Flyers vs Western Canada 13:5 (3 away games in 4 days)

/Calgary/Edmonton/Canucks/

That was a great response from Flyers.

Other line changes: Voracek as a RW in the second line (with Filppula - C and Raffl - LW), Simmonds as a RW in the first line with Giroux as a LW and Couts as a C.

Michael Raffl jumps from 4th line to 3d, then to second one. Right now he is a very productive player with 3 goals (4 points) after 3 away games. Simmonds also has 3 goals (4 points), Giroux - 1 goal (4 points), Voracek - 6 assists without any goal as always. Nice to see 3 goals from 4th liners.

The defence lines are even younger right now.

The first power play unit looks lethal too: Sims, Couts, Gir, Vor and Ghost.

J.T.F.Robertson
7 minutes ago, Cory McNamara said:

Flyers vs Western Canada 13:5 (3 away games in 4 days)

/Calgary/Edmonton/Canucks/

That was a great response from Flyers.

Other line changes: Voracek as a RW in the second line (with Filppula - C and Raffl - LW), Simmonds as a RW in the first line with Giroux as a LW and Couts as a C.

Michael Raffl jumps from 4th line to 3d, then to second one. Right now he is a very productive player with 3 goals (4 points) after 3 away games. Simmonds also has 3 goals (4 points), Giroux - 1 goal (4 points), Voracek - 6 assists without any goal as always. Nice to see 3 goals from 4th liners.

The defence lines are even younger right now.

The first power play unit looks lethal too: Sims, Couts, Gir, Vor and Ghost.

They'd lost ten in a row before their first win here. 

Go Flames go! :rolleyes:

Cory McNamara

A bunch of interesting matches today:

Toronto at Flyers
Tampa at Blues
Carolina at Knights
Los Angeles at Devils

There are no signs of slowing down for Vegas. Good team work.

San Jose had 3 seasons to build up all the things. They had some talented players: Falloon (F), Kisio (F, first two seasons), Garpenlov (F), Irbe (G), More (D), Zettler (D). Only during the 3d one they had success in the regular season and absolutely great run in the playoffs (first round against Detroit (first seed) - 4:3, second round against Toronto 3:4; with a very competitive seventh games).

Pat Falloon

PTDC0012_20111210405.gif

Some memories and stuff:

Edited by Cory McNamara

3 hours ago, Cory McNamara said:

A bunch of interesting matches today:

Toronto at Flyers
Tampa at Blues
Carolina at Knights
Los Angeles at Devils

There are no signs of slowing down for Vegas. Good team work.

San Jose had 3 seasons to build up all the things. They had some talented players: Falloon (F), Kisio (F, first two seasons), Garpenlov (F), Irbe (G), More (D), Zettler (D). Only during the 3d one they had success in the regular season and absolutely great run in the playoffs (first round against Detroit (first seed) - 4:3, second round against Toronto 3:4; with a very competitive seventh games).

Pat Falloon

PTDC0012_20111210405.gif

Some memories and stuff:

Tampa St Louis should be interesting - two of the top sides in the league.

Cory McNamara

Buffalo at Philadelphia today (I have a cute one). It will be a tough challenge.

Flyers are searching for a fifth straight win. Buffalo got at least one point in each of the last 4 games.

Islanders at Columbus

NJ at Montreal (kind of time to show who you are)

Ducks at St. Louis (another hard task for Blues)

Leafs at St. Paul

Predators at Edmonton

white-buffalo-calf-woman-get-well-collec

So the Caps have parted with their coach, no real surprise as you could tell in his interviews he was feeling frustrated. So is Scott still in charge?

2 hours ago, Turkishcap said:

So the Caps have parted with their coach, no real surprise as you could tell in his interviews he was feeling frustrated. So is Scott still in charge?

Appears to be. We're still to hear about the fabled 'restructure' after the holding company was liquidated in November. And a lot of this is made worse when its been said that he's had offers for significant investment in the past and turned it down.

We've always been a shitshow but this is the worst its been. Some fans are thinking of organising a protest and many ST holders/regulars have already started to boycott games (myself included). I've only been going because my ST got bought for me.

We've always been run poorly. We've always had players leave. We've never been as low as this as a Caps fan. This is the absolute final straw for many.

Chester April 1995 thats when ice hockey died in Edinburgh, its never really worked out apart from maybe 2 seasons......may sound a terrible thing to say but maybe its time to pack it in at this level, and I take no pleasure in typing that out.

3 hours ago, Turkishcap said:

Chester April 1995 thats when ice hockey died in Edinburgh, its never really worked out apart from maybe 2 seasons......may sound a terrible thing to say but maybe its time to pack it in at this level, and I take no pleasure in typing that out.

I hear where you're coming from (and ideally, I'd go back to a BNL style league but thats not an option) but I dont agree and here's why:

When I first started going, the Racers had just won the B & H Cup. My first game was against the old Basingstoke Beavers. We won 7-5 and my love for Chris Palmer was born. The crowd that night? No more than around 750, a size comparable with what the Caps get today. If memory serves me correctly, the team got locked out the rink for non payment of bills and ended the season playing the playoffs out of Livingston and the team going bust. The next season? The Racers got to the Wembley final, losing to Sheffield 7-2 in the final. End result? The team went bust again.

There's this myth that the Racers time was a land of milk and honey. That may have been true in the boom times of the 80s but into the 90s it most certainly wasnt, as the team lurched from cash crisis to cash crisis and continual fallouts with rink management. If hockey 'died' in Edinburgh, it was on lifesupport from around the early 90s.

Now we have the current team. The potential is undoubtedly there - you just need to see the crowd size on Groupon nights and the likes of Hogmanay. What it hasnt had is help from the rink (sense a theme here?) with both the actual rink and the management (the team take no money from anything bought in the rink and the rink steadfastly refuse to budge on that or a licence to take beer in, leaving us the only team 'dry' in the EIHL). We've an owner, who has worked hard to keep hockey going but has come to his shelf life. We'll be forever grateful for what he's done but he really needs to think about what good for the team. He's had offers (a couple in particular were from 'good hockey men', who have done wonders with other teams in the league) and he's said no. There's little in the way of hard PR (not social media) which has left many in the city totally unaware there's a team. Indeed, some folk still think its the Racers (on which there's fans of the Racers who refuse to go because 'its not the Racers'. What chance have you got?!). We're not helped by a Council who couldnt give two shits about sports in Edinburgh at all. And we're not helped by living costs in Edinburgh either, which are the highest in the UK after London, making them the highest in the EIHL.

What is needed is a more forward thinking, outgoing owner. Many of the problems the team has, can be overcome with the right management. Until then, this will keep going.

(As an aside, all the Scottish teams are down on crowds it seems. Even in Kirkcaldy, the one true hockey town in the UK, has seen fans begging on Twitter to 'bring a friend' as they're 'struggling' despite having their best EIHL team yet. And lets not forget, all but two teams in the top flight have 'phoenixed', its not just us.)

Edited by Chester™

16 hours ago, Chester™ said:

What is needed is a more forward thinking, outgoing owner. Many of the problems the team has, can be overcome with the right management. Until then, this will keep going.

For example the appointment of Khristich shouldve been huge. It was quite a coup afterall (on paper)

Local media shouldve been drummed up that a wee team from Scotland had landed an American All Star.

I found out about caps through groupon and gave it a bash.

Im now semi regular and have a few mates hooked.

Theres potential but more need to be done for sure.

40 minutes ago, Alan_R said:

For example the appointment of Khristich shouldve been huge. It was quite a coup afterall (on paper)

Local media shouldve been drummed up that a wee team from Scotland had landed an American All Star.

I found out about caps through groupon and gave it a bash.

Im now semi regular and have a few mates hooked.

Theres potential but more need to be done for sure.

Agreed. The signing of Khristich is a prime example of what I was getting at re 'hard PR'. We probably received more PR from outlets in the US, Washington in particular, than we did here.

Again, you're someone who's started watching because of a Groupon. There's others out there too. If the team were more organised, we'd be able to retain such folk and boost the crowd but the team just doesnt do it. Its almost 'well we've got their cash. What do we do now?' and the answer is usually nothing. I've got pals who are now semi regular as well and they enjoy going. The ones that didnt become like that were put off by the cost and I dont blame them, considering the surroundings, the team and the lack of catering and beer options (though those chicken curry pies are absolutely tremendous! :lol: ).

I, and others, are absolutely convinced that with a bit more management savvy we'd be able to boost the crowds, retain them and move forward as a team. At this point, as much as I like the owner, I cant see that right now.

Edited by Chester™

Yesterday was the 100th anniversary of the first Toronto Maple Leaf hockey game, and I was lucky enough to get hold of a couple of tickets.  The Club put on a great show, and the team treated the fans to a resounding 8-1 win over the Carolina Hurricanes.

Nice outing, but who the heck can afford season tickets? The prices are scandalous.

Won’t/ can’t argue Chester with your post but have to say most of Racers crowds were into 4 figures even if only just. Their crowds were mostly around 1200 but swerved up and down at times from a poor Saturday 600 to a 2,500 Saturday Sky TV game that clashed with Hearts and Dunee  Utd. Agree the 90’s got a bit iffy financially but at times I could not understand rink owners attitude, both bang average players in their day you would think would be a bit more supportive at times.

However the better crowds in these days the team was still poorly supported all things considered.

Its a sport we both love but yes Racers fans can’t forget their team and  I am sure there are Caps fans who feel the same.....they deserve so much better as Pecker pointed out in the EEN today.

Anyway all the festive best mate.

21 minutes ago, Turkishcap said:

Won’t/ can’t argue Chester with your post but have to say most of Racers crowds were into 4 figures even if only just. Their crowds were mostly around 1200 but swerved up and down at times from a poor Saturday 600 to a 2,500 Saturday Sky TV game that clashed with Hearts and Dunee  Utd. Agree the 90’s got a bit iffy financially but at times I could not understand rink owners attitude, both bang average players in their day you would think would be a bit more supportive at times.

However the better crowds in these days the team was still poorly supported all things considered.

Its a sport we both love but yes Racers fans can’t forget their team and  I am sure there are Caps fans who feel the same.....they deserve so much better as Pecker pointed out in the EEN today.

Anyway all the festive best mate.

Folk have had a look back at the crowds. I'm being absolutely honest when some of the games, especially against 'smaller' teams were roughly similar to what the Caps get (something you've pointed out yourself there). The bigger games were well into four figures (although I'll put my hand up and say I can never remember being in a crowd that topped 2000), but that was certainly boosted by massive away crowds that you simply dont see anymore. Crowds were steadily on the way down from the start of the 90s and we've only really had similar sized crowds during the odd decent season in the BNL (outside the promotions and 'special nights'). Edinburgh, as a whole, has never really supported any of their teams, comparable to size of the city (and I include Hearts and Hibs in that). You just need to see the fairly small crowds for the Monarchs, regardless of them being in Armadale, considering they're the most successful (current) sports team, both in general competitiveness and trophy haul, from the city.

The rink management are an absolute hindrance and that wont change until those two move on. Their attitude has always been stinking and the way they talk to people is nothing short of a disgrace. Little wonder teams out MIR struggle to get on.

I have to say, some Racers fans, who now to go to the Caps, can be a bloody nightmare. 'Well in my day...', 'back the Racers days...' etc etc gets on my tits. Hockey's moved on and how you market hockey has moved on as well. You can argue the toss about the quality of hockey but I'd far rather watch a 2-1 or 3-2 than the likes of 18-5 and 17-11 that I grew up watching.

Enjoy your Festive season as well chief. :)

Edited by Chester™

In fairness Chester my crowd figs were based on 84/85 to around 91/92 but yes even I noticed a drop off in the 94 95  however I too would rather see a tight low score as a shoot out, anyway new Caps signing at 9 tonight. Ps I will drop it now and let you have the last word if you want :smiliz21:

1 minute ago, Turkishcap said:

In fairness Chester my crowd figs were based on 84/85 to around 91/92 but yes even I noticed a drop off in the 94 95  however I too would rather see a tight low score as a shoot out, anyway new Caps signing at 9 tonight. Ps I will drop it now and let you have the last word if you want :smiliz21:

Its been a decent discussion, looking to explain and talk about a number of factors. Its nothing to do with wanting 'the last word'. 

On 20/12/2017 at 14:24, Maple Leaf said:

Yesterday was the 100th anniversary of the first Toronto Maple Leaf hockey game, and I was lucky enough to get hold of a couple of tickets.  The Club put on a great show, and the team treated the fans to a resounding 8-1 win over the Carolina Hurricanes.

Nice outing, but who the heck can afford season tickets? The prices are scandalous.

Aye was a good game. Watched it on 'freesport' on freesat which seems to show a game every night. Good ones too. Had Leafs rangers last night aswell and are showing the winter classic all free to air: certainly a pleasure rather than some Internet feed! 

Was the anniversary the reason for the early start? Couldn't believe I was getting to watch Leafs at 7pm UK time on a Tuesday lol. 

On 24/12/2017 at 21:01, hearts151 said:

Aye was a good game. Watched it on 'freesport' on freesat which seems to show a game every night. Good ones too. Had Leafs rangers last night aswell and are showing the winter classic all free to air: certainly a pleasure rather than some Internet feed! 

Was the anniversary the reason for the early start? Couldn't believe I was getting to watch Leafs at 7pm UK time on a Tuesday lol. 

Yeah, the 2PM start was a bit of a surprise.  I think they wanted to encourage attendance by kids. 

Interestingly, Johnny Bower was at the game, and got a loud round of applause from the fans.  He looked well, so it was a shock to read of his death a few days later.

Hoping Montreal’s pisspoor form will result in a top 5 pick and the end of that diddy Bergevin.

What a shite season it’s been for the Habs.

alwaysthereinspirit
2 hours ago, Gershwin said:

Hoping Montreal’s pisspoor form will result in a top 5 pick and the end of that diddy Bergevin.

What a shite season it’s been for the Habs.

One mans trash is another mans treasure.

• 4 weeks later...

2 more depart the Caps, Kolesnikovs and Vorobyve, if this was an animal it would be put to sleep. I take no pleasure saying this but enough is enough. A few on the Caps forum think the same and the club will pack up the Elite league but only time will tell.

35 minutes ago, Turkishcap said:

2 more depart the Caps, Kolesnikovs and Vorobyve, if this was an animal it would be put to sleep. I take no pleasure saying this but enough is enough. A few on the Caps forum think the same and the club will pack up the Elite league but only time will tell.

The Caps forum isnt particularly representative of the fanbase as most discuss on Twitter/FB these days. That said, packing it in means no hockey. Thats the tall and short of it.

Something needs to be said though. No one knows the end game and the silence is beyond a joke. The absolute lack of respect and contempt shown towards the fans is the worst I've ever seen. The fanbase is the angriest and lowest I've ever seen.

To be honest Chester I really don’t want the sport to sink in the city but at the time of the post that was my gut feeling. My heart sinks every time something like this happens. I agree with your sentiments and we can only hope someone out there can come in and take over cos Scott surely can’t carry on with this project.

44 minutes ago, Turkishcap said:

To be honest Chester I really don’t want the sport to sink in the city but at the time of the post that was my gut feeling. My heart sinks every time something like this happens. I agree with your sentiments and we can only hope someone out there can come in and take over cos Scott surely can’t carry on with this project.

He's had offers, so its not for a lack of interest.

As I said on the previous page, we'll be forever grateful for him keeping top flight hockey going in Edinburgh but we're at the end of that shelf life. Time's up. Change is needed.

• Maple Leaf unpinned this topic
  • Maple Leaf pinned this topic