NHL playoffs

Jimmy McNulty

13 minutes ago, Chester™ said:

I'm trying to do a bit of digging but from what I've heard so far, they're arent convinced this (or other previous bids) have been viable. And I think there's a distrust of certain elements in the other bid.

The league is so poorly managed as it is I think it's more likely just self reservation. Hand was before my time as a player but he's someone who knows hockey and is well respected enough that I'd expect any group associated with them to be worth proper consideration if they are serious.

• Replies 16.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gershwin

• Chester™

• JamboInSouthsea

• alwaysthereinspirit

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

34 minutes ago, Alan_R said:

The league is so poorly managed as it is I think it's more likely just self reservation. Hand was before my time as a player but he's someone who knows hockey and is well respected enough that I'd expect any group associated with them to be worth proper consideration if they are serious.

Its not self preservation. Until the structure change, the League were willing to throw the Caps out and run with 11 teams next season.

'Knowing hockey' and running a team are two entirely different things. After the shambles he was involved in with Manchester Phoenix, I can fully understand why people would be reticent in entertaining anything from him. But you hit it on the head 'if they are serious'. Thats the crux. The League didnt think it was/is.

Edited by Chester™

Fair enough. I'm not familiar with Manchester phoenix or what happened.

It's just as a convert to hockey it's a shame that the inadequacies of running the Scottish leagues in football are mirrored in the EIHL. It could be so much more.

12 minutes ago, Alan_R said:

Fair enough. I'm not familiar with Manchester phoenix or what happened.

It's just as a convert to hockey it's a shame that the inadequacies of running the Scottish leagues in football are mirrored in the EIHL. It could be so much more.

I wont disagree there. That said, if you talk to older fans, it used to be all milk and honey in years gone by (it wasnt). Some 'newer' fans will tell you its so much better now (it isnt). And some will have you think 'good hockey people' know how to run teams properly (they don't). 

The EIHL is far more stable a league than many before it, so its doing something right in that regard. The competing egos don't help and the lack of coverage, especially on TV, hampers the league. Though it rates highly in terms of attendance in Europe, 8th overall, which is higher than many 'better', and cheaper to attend, leagues.

The White Cockade

British ice hockey went downhill when they changed the rules to flood the league with imports

when I went in the 80's there was a maximum of 3 imports and all the teams had good British players

as the mainstay of the team

Then money came into the sport with the newer bigger stadiums and it all started going to pot

as with other sports when you fill the teams with foreign players there are less chances for the local guys

and the number of good local players has dropped drastically over the years

Murrayfield has a great tradition in hockey going back decades and in my time the team with locals like

Tony Hand, Paul Hand, Moray Hanson, Pentland , Heavey etc and brilliant imports like Fera, Palmer, Kelland

will never be topped - the best team in the UK

but even then the crowds at the rink were never all that great, the dump of a rink doesn't help I don't suppose

it helps to have local identifiable players and keeping much of the squad year after that

but that doesn't happen now with the massive turnover of imports every year

15 hours ago, The White Cockade said:

British ice hockey went downhill when they changed the rules to flood the league with imports

when I went in the 80's there was a maximum of 3 imports and all the teams had good British players

as the mainstay of the team

Then money came into the sport with the newer bigger stadiums and it all started going to pot

as with other sports when you fill the teams with foreign players there are less chances for the local guys

and the number of good local players has dropped drastically over the years

Murrayfield has a great tradition in hockey going back decades and in my time the team with locals like

Tony Hand, Paul Hand, Moray Hanson, Pentland , Heavey etc and brilliant imports like Fera, Palmer, Kelland

will never be topped - the best team in the UK

but even then the crowds at the rink were never all that great, the dump of a rink doesn't help I don't suppose

it helps to have local identifiable players and keeping much of the squad year after that

but that doesn't happen now with the massive turnover of imports every year

You'll have to define 'downhill' there. If you're talking a return to scorelines of 18-5, 17-11, 16-12, then no thanks.

On British players, then I'll accept that to a point. The national side is performing on a consistently higher basis than in the 80s. Its absolute night and day. Indeed, it looks highly likely that Liam Kirk, of the Steelers, will be drafted (he's been scouted fairly heavily). On a technical basis, both Perlini brothers came through the junior system, in import heavy times (Colin Shields to an extent as well) and were drafted, and there's been more GB players trying their hand in leagues abroad as well, none of which, except for Tony Hand, happened in the 80s/early 90s.

I'll agree there are too many imports. 8-10 would be ideal (like the BNL had). Imports have helped some of those, who've been good enough, far more than ever before with an undoubted higher degree of professionalism (for the most part). They certainly do hold back some of the Brits but some of that is down to cost as well - its cheaper to bring over, for example, a checking import forward to play on the third line, than it is for some Brits who might not even make the third line. Thats another reason Brits have found it difficult and because some wont go down the route the likes of Mark Garside and Ben O'Connor did - play for a 'lower' team, like the Caps, gain ice time and experience, then cash in on a big move.

Surprised the Caps will be with us next season but happy, feel it may be make or break time though. Just to clarify as much as I loved the old days I would rather see a tight 2-1 3-2 game as to an 18-12 shoot out as we got one night v Ayr.. I also agree with you Chester re the number of imports in the game as I would love to see more home based players make the grade and maybe winter Olympic qualification for tv coverage. One can dream.

40 minutes ago, Turkishcap said:

Surprised the Caps will be with us next season but happy, feel it may be make or break time though. Just to clarify as much as I loved the old days I would rather see a tight 2-1 3-2 game as to an 18-12 shoot out as we got one night v Ayr.. I also agree with you Chester re the number of imports in the game as I would love to see more home based players make the grade and maybe winter Olympic qualification for tv coverage. One can dream.

They arent guaranteed to be back. Its all down to the rink and what bid they accept. One gives them EIHL hockey and more fans, therefore, more cash in the machines and refreshment stand. The other doesnt give that and will likely be playing to two fans and their dugs. If the Caps do 'win', then there needs to be massive change, which on the face of it, there appears to be. It seems the EIHL have seen the business plan and they've approved it, so I guess thats a positive.

5 hours ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

Who among us as a fan of any team sport hasn't dreamt this moment.

I like the way he did a day's work before the game.

So a meeting today at the ice rink to decide what way hockey goes in this city.

Edited by Turkishcap

3 minutes ago, Turkishcap said:

So a meeting today at the ice rink to decide what way hockey goes in this city.

Thats the rumour anyway.

Elite League bigwigs very supportive of the Caps during yesterday's EIHL Fans Forum and when the League chairman was interviewed during the period break of the Playoff Final. A real change of tact from previous years. I'm hoping thats a good sign.

No decision taken yesterday.

Rink wants to meet both parties by the start of next week before coming to a decision.

EDIT: though the Pusbook post that mentioned this got taken down as quick as it went up.

Edited by Chester™

On 4/10/2018 at 14:06, Chester™ said:

No decision taken yesterday.

Rink wants to meet both parties by the start of next week before coming to a decision.

EDIT: though the Pusbook post that mentioned this got taken down as quick as it went up.

Saw all the #Handsoffourcaps stuff on twitter yesterday. Shame everyone has turned on TH but would ridiculous if he put the Caps out of business.

Anyway, 

Time for some terrible 1st round playoff predictions. Shame Boston and Toronto both can't knocked out ::troll::

East

Tampa 4 New Jersey 2

Washington 4 Columbus 1

Boston 4 Toronto 3

Pittsburgh 4 Philadelphia 3

West

Nashville 4 Colorado 0

LA 4 Vegas 3

Winnipeg 4 Minnesota 1

Anaheim 4 San Jose 2

Edited by Gershwin
Weird 'copy and paste' things going on

9 minutes ago, Gershwin said:

Saw all the #Handsoffourcaps stuff on twitter yesterday. Shame everyone has turned on TH but would ridiculous if he put the Caps out of business.

There's mainly a deep concern and suspicion as to what they're up to. Despite the company appearing on Companies House, the lack of a statement from the alternative bid, and what they're proposing, is quite concerning.

So Racers Leisure want EIH at the rink as does SN and his new set up but so far only the Caps have the franchise.......so does the rink gamble and take the Hands (who I never thought for a moment wanted lower league hockey) or do we go with the same old people who may or may not deliver (got my doubts). Tough call but I would be stunned if the Elite League said no if Hand wins unless they are happy to go with 11 or some other team is snapping to get promotion. Interesting but both may turn out to be last chance saloon as if SN keeps he really has to deliver. Still takes your mind off USA v Russia for a few moments! 

4 minutes ago, Turkishcap said:

So Racers Leisure want EIH at the rink as does SN and his new set up but so far only the Caps have the franchise.......so does the rink gamble and take the Hands (who I never thought for a moment wanted lower league hockey) or do we go with the same old people who may or may not deliver (got my doubts). Tough call but I would be stunned if the Elite League said no if Hand wins unless they are happy to go with 11 or some other team is snapping to get promotion. Interesting but both may turn out to be last chance saloon as if SN keeps he really has to deliver. Still takes your mind off USA v Russia for a few moments! 

And the rink might say no to both (they've previous in shafting teams).

The league may also do a Hull-Manchester as well (the EIHL clearly reminded us that there's a franchise for London, during the playoff weekend) which would leave the 'Racers' dead if they win the ice time. It seems clear they'd happily go with 11 too, so I wouldn't say its a cert that the 'Racers' would be accepted (not including the concerns over the business practices of those involved).

A crap sitatuion where the three cliques involved will play silly buggers with each other - the important things like the actual hockey team and its fans will be an afterthought. If Scott Neil 'wins' it will be interesting to see how the relationship between him and the rink management goes - would imagine it would be even more strained than it's obviously been in the past.

23 minutes ago, red21 said:

A crap sitatuion where the three cliques involved will play silly buggers with each other - the important things like the actual hockey team and its fans will be an afterthought.

Absolutely spot on and I've been saying that across social media for a few days now. While they're acting out their petty differences and family squabbles, its the fans who get ****ed over. Again. As per usual.

They can all go and **** themselves tbqh.

Agree its not a good situation all round as the potential to go tits up is strong but really I expected the season just finished to be the last anyway. But it's not over till its over.

Strange to me to put this out as the fans are not being consulted, they should be sending this to Mr Stirling.

11 minutes ago, Turkishcap said:

Strange to me to put this out as the fans are not being consulted, they should be sending this to Mr Stirling.

Do you honestly think they've not told the rink that? :lol:

9 hours ago, Chester™ said:

Do you honestly think they've not told the rink that? :lol:

? Maybes aye maybes naw? Still find it strange to put it out as the fans have no say in the process but it does reik of panic.

Edited by Turkishcap

5 hours ago, Turkishcap said:

? Maybes aye maybes naw? Still find it strange to put it out as the fans have no say in the process but it does reik of panic.

They don't but they can try and get the fans backing their bid. There's been heehaw from the Hands (save for a couple of quotes in the EEN), which isnt exactly encouraging many fans.

I've severe doubts over both bids.

On 4/12/2018 at 08:56, Gershwin said:

Bit of a pumping for the Flyers last night :lol:

Bit of a pumping for the Penguins last night :jjyay:

Looks like the Hands have won the ice time.

Now to the EIHL, which if what many folk are hearing is correct, means thats hockey done in Edinburgh.

Edited by Chester™

2 hours ago, Chester™ said:

Looks like the Hands have won the ice time.

Now to the EIHL, which if what many folk are hearing is correct, means thats hockey done in Edinburgh.

Wont speculate on this as I know less than nowt but having read comments on 2 Caps pages I do know how they feel just now and I do feel for them. Their choice to go next seaso IF Racers get the franchise as a lot of Racers fans turned their back on the Royals/Caps. Things must have been bad when Richard Stirling voices concern. 

Edited by Turkishcap
Predictive text

1 minute ago, Turkishcap said:

Wont speculate on this as I know less than nowt but having read comments on 2 Caps pages I do know how they feel just now and I do feel for them. Their choice to go next seaso IF Racers get the franchise as a lot of Racers fans turned their back on the Royals/Caps. Things must have been bad when Richard Stirling voices concern. 

Stirling couldn't give two ****s. He helped **** over the original Racers (one of the reasons a lot of fans didnt go back) why would he give any concern now?

Anyway, its official:

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/ice-hockey/capitals/murrayfield-racers-set-to-make-return-as-hand-group-wins-ice-rink-contract-1-4724718/amp

Elite League board meet on Wednesday apparently. We'll know more then.

6 minutes ago, rossaldinho said:

For the Caps fans here, will you go and watch the Racers next season if they are accepted into the EIHL?

Need to see what they come up with first. Don't trust them whatsoever.

There's plenty already saying they're not going back.

Edited by Chester™

Wouldn't really class myself as a caps fan as I attend about 1 game a season, but I'd be interested in watching the Racers if they were a vaguely competitive team.

Can understand why Caps diehards wouldn't bother though.

13 minutes ago, Gershwin said:

Wouldn't really class myself as a caps fan as I attend about 1 game a season, but I'd be interested in watching the Racers if they were a vaguely competitive team.

Can understand why Caps diehards wouldn't bother though.

Cant wait until all the 'Racers fans' or nothing crew, start attending, then piss off, on the realisation it wont be the second coming of Palmer, Ware, Fera, Kelland and Newberry...

Will see what transpires with this new lot - not entirely confident but change was needed - would have preferred a entirely new group with no baggage though.

Would be interesting to see how many of the people who will not be going back voiced a Scott Neil out opinion a couple of months back. 

I can’t see old Racers fans thinking the good old days are around the corner cos if they are they may be in for a shock, that was a great time but it’s gone now different era. Maybe no hockey at all, but emotions are raw just now let’s see how people feel come September. At least Caps fans can vent their spleen on the net back in 95 it was different, me and my friend went to the rink to have a word with Billy Dunbar a few days later and although I cannot remember what was said he was very pleseant and at least we got things off our chest.

Hey most sevco fans still think their club didn’t die??

And once you get out the habit of going it’s very very hard to get it back.

Edited by Turkishcap

53 minutes ago, rossaldinho said:

For the Caps fans here, will you go and watch the Racers next season if they are accepted into the EIHL?

Assuming that the Racers end up in the EIHL I'll probably give them a chance in September when the season begins and attend fairly regularly. 

As has been mentioned though, the support seems quite split now, and I can see many not returning. Which is a particular concern as the support is already small and attracting new fans to the sport in Edinburgh has been so difficult. 

48 minutes ago, red21 said:

would have preferred a entirely new group with no baggage though.

Spot on.

39 minutes ago, Turkishcap said:

I can’t see old Racers fans thinking the good old days are around the corner cos if they are they may be in for a shock, that was a great time but it’s gone now different era. Maybe no hockey at all, but emotions are raw just now let’s see how people feel come September. At least Caps fans can vent their spleen on the net back in 95 it was different, me and my friend went to the rink to have a word with Billy Dunbar a few days later and although I cannot remember what was said he was very pleseant and at least we got things off our chest.

Hey most sevco fans still think their club didn’t die??

And once you get out the habit of going it’s very very hard to get it back.

Plenty old Racers fans thinking its going to go back to the good old days. All it needed was Tony Hand and the name. Apparently that guarantees overwhelming success.

As for Dunbar, he's a wee nyaff. Had many dealings with him, others within the rink/folk behind the bid over the years. I've rarely come across a bunch of ruder individuals, despite myself and others being polite or them initiating the conversation.

14 minutes ago, Manny1874 said:

Assuming that the Racers end up in the EIHL I'll probably give them a chance in September when the season begins and attend fairly regularly. 

As has been mentioned though, the support seems quite split now, and I can see many not returning. Which is a particular concern as the support is already small and attracting new fans to the sport in Edinburgh has been so difficult. 

And that the problem. If they think the name is all it needs to bring people back through the door, I think they're in for a nasty shock.

51 minutes ago, Chester™ said:

Cant wait until all the 'Racers fans' or nothing crew, start attending, then piss off, on the realisation it wont be the second coming of Palmer, Ware, Fera, Kelland and Newberry...

Is Kyle McDonough not returning?

the sub goalie
5 hours ago, rossaldinho said:

Yes, if the new owners secure EIHL hockey and can put a competive team on the ice then I will attend.  

While Scott Neil has kept professional hockey in Edinburgh, apart from the odd season it’s been pretty dire for the capitals.  I’m interested to see what the Hands can do in order of bringing in sponsorship and promoting hockey in Edinburgh although the facilities at Murrayfield won’t help imo.

That said, although I have watched SNL in the past for me to be a regular fan, it’s EIHL or bust.

Is Kyle McDonough not returning?

Decent wee player -  not the biggest in stature but quick. Very similar to a guy who was with the Racers a few years earlier - Luc Beausoleil (which is also a great surname). 

9 hours ago, rossaldinho said:

Now that it's panned out I'm really sore about this. I've described myself as a new fan a few times. In reality I've been following caps for a few years. They are what got me into British hockey, I've been along with my parents (in their sixties) and it was special we could all enjoy it, It spurred a conversation with an old uncle that him and my gran used to be big Ice hockey fans in the 50s (the Vikings), it was great to go with my best mates (some of whom are Hibs fans) and support the same cause, some of the results were sh*te but in those short few years I've realised they were still MY team!

I've no affinity to the racers and the way they've shafted caps and are now trying to live off the old racers name seems very false. I feel like I've had Edinburgh hockey taken from me.

Maybe I'd feel different if it was a completely new start and included in some sort of bright new future but latching on to the old racers seems cheap. they have treated the caps fanbase strangely, they need to get majority on board and from what I've read there are a lot of unhappy caps fans.

I won't be following new racers.

rossaldinho

What about the possibility of going to watch the Caps SNL team?

Going to be strange coming from Fife for an away game and not playing the Capitals!

I do have to give credit to you Caps fans. I was down in Nottingham a few weeks ago and every single Caps fan was in great spirit even with all this stuff going on!

1 hour ago, rossaldinho said:

What about the possibility of going to watch the Caps SNL team?

Going to be strange coming from Fife for an away game and not playing the Capitals!

I do have to give credit to you Caps fans. I was down in Nottingham a few weeks ago and every single Caps fan was in great spirit even with all this stuff going on!

The SNL team looks likely done as well. They came as a package.

• Maple Leaf unpinned this topic
  • Maple Leaf pinned this topic