*** Scotland Euro 2020 (2021) Thread ( merged) ***

Chaps

3 minutes ago, stirlo said:

Armstrong was definitely the worst player tonight for passing the ball straight to the opposition. He may be a premiership player but he looked well out his depth tonight.

The difference between him and Gilmour was night and day.

The occasion really got to him.

That one break in the second half from their corner where he just ran into a man on the touchline summed it up.

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sadj

• Pasquale for King

• Cruyff

• ri Alban

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, Last Laff said:

Luxemburg last month. 

Really showed we needed to work on finishing that night, or they’re just not good enough. 

1 minute ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Always remember him being a Hibs fan, hence why we gave him it big time when zeefuik scored against him in the championship. 

But if he is a rangers fan okay, he should be in the team ahead of Marshall. 

Nah he's a hun.  a couple in the Saints defence are hibs though.  

He is better than Marshall though.  Gordon after Mcgregor is the best Scottish goalie. 

Charles Ward

We are still quite a few players away from being a decent international side.

Hopefully Patterson can kick on.

Just now, Pasquale for King said:

Really showed we needed to work on finishing that night, or they’re just not good enough. 

Aye.  Sadly.  But there's not many forwards coming through either. 

Charles Ward
2 minutes ago, spacerjoe said:

The difference between him and Gilmour was night and day.

The occasion really got to him.

That one break in the second half from their corner where he just ran into a man on the touchline summed it up.

Would love to see his stats for tonight.

3 minutes ago, Charles Ward said:

The Faroe Islands doesn't count.

Edit.

Or Luxembourg.

OK, can you decide what games count and let us know Clarke's Scotland record?

Would be great to know.

Thanks

Charles Ward
Just now, spacerjoe said:

OK, can you decide what games count and let us know Clarke's Scotland record?

Would be great to know.

Thanks

Ones that aren't friendlies or teams with a bigger population than Motherwell.

3 minutes ago, Charles Ward said:

Oooooh.  Luxembourg.

Nice.

Doesn't count.

Yes the same Luxemburg that beat Ireland in WC qualifying a few days after a game we should have won against Holland.

132goals1958
4 minutes ago, Silverwolf said:

Keep the faith. Statistically we will eventually fluke a decent side, even if it means naturalising anyone with a pen pal in Scotland.

Disappointed as I was tonight the small consolation was I more or less expected it.

Central Belt 1874

Not sure how much chat there has been tonight about Steve Clarke on here as I haven't read all the posts  but for me and those I watch Scotland games with, his decision making, team selections and substitutions have been a significant factor in our demise in this tournament.

There are a handful of players who just clear as day are not good enough at this level, McKenna, Dykes, O' Donnell and Hendry.

Scotland were not great in the three games, but there were enough chances created in each to win each game. 

A mixture of poor decision making from manager and players and a failure to take our chances cost us. 

Theres a bright future for the national team, but only if there is belief, real belief, in whoever manages us into the next tournament.

Charles Ward
1 minute ago, Last Laff said:

Yes the same Luxemburg that beat Ireland in WC qualifying a few days after a game we should have won against Holland.

A Holland pre-season match?

Ireland are as pish as us.

1 minute ago, Charles Ward said:

Ones that aren't friendlies or teams with a bigger population than Motherwell.

So competitive games against countries smaller than Motherwell?

OK! 🙃

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Our strengths sadly are defensive minded players bar McGninn.   I can't see a better alternative out there to Clarke.    It's not as if we had a Bale or Ramsay in the final third.  We have Championship standard Randoms who aren't Scottish. 

I don’t think we have any strengths at this level, we have some decent midfielders and two great left backs. Mctominay can’t defend at the back or in midfield, players run off him easily, ball watcher. Ageing GKs, a Motherwell player at RB or a laddie. Lost 5 and scored 1 at Hampden 🤔? Hibsedit. 

Just now, Charles Ward said:

A Holland pre-season match?

Ireland are as pish as us.

Doesn't count.

Am I right?   :lol: 

See the source image

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, Central Belt 1874 said:

Not sure how much chat there has been tonight about Steve Clarke on here as I haven't read all the posts  but for me and those I watch Scotland games with, his decision making, team selections and substitutions have been a significant factor in our demise in this tournament.

There are a handful of players who just clear as day are not good enough at this level, McKenna, Dykes, O' Donnell and Hendry.

Scotland were not great in the three games, but there were enough chances created in each to win each game. 

A mixture of poor decision making from manager and players and a failure to take our chances cost us. 

Theres a bright future for the national team, but only if there is belief, real belief, in whoever manages us into the next tournament.

Quite inexperienced on the playing and the managerial side, his assistants aren’t either. 
I think the pressure will have weighed heavily on them too, the best performance when the pressure was off. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

Just now, Pasquale for King said:

I don’t think we have any strengths at this level, we have some decent midfielders and two great left backs. Mctominay can’t defend at the back or in midfield, players run off him easily, ball watcher. Ageing GKs, a Motherwell player at RB or a laddie. Lost 5 and scored 1 at Hampden 🤔? Hibsedit. 

Very harsh ma man..

We have two world class full backs.  Patterson looks a tremendous prospect, if Hendry leaves celtic and continues to progress with Hanley then it's something to work on.

McTominey and Mcginn are elite level.  Goalie is a major concern but Clark is getting better.  Gimour is going to be world class, we should have played Fraser, Gauld is improving, Jack is injured.  

Up top and Goalie is major concerns.   But there's a lot more reason to be optimistic.  Hampden is never a home game either, it's a shit tip.  We should and would have done better against the likes of Croatia at Tynie. 

3 minutes ago, Central Belt 1874 said:

Clarke has done ok with us. But for sure tonight it was clear that attempting long balls over Modric was never going to work. If we are going to counter you can't float balls over the top - they were back behind us by the time Dykes had had his 3rd touch....

43 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

We don't need your Premier League analysis Souness you tosser. Back to England.

Eh? He was spot on!

1 minute ago, Thomaso said:

Eh? He was spot on!

Absolutely spot on. Tbf someone told me i was out my depth and stupid earlier for saying what Souness then said so 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️ Was glaringly obvious tonight. Even Collins could see some of the problems

132goals1958
6 minutes ago, Central Belt 1874 said:

Whether Clarke is the right man or not to continue I find it strange that Ian Maxwell was going all guns blazing to extend his contract before a ball was kicked in the Euros.

Central Belt 1874
1 minute ago, 132goals1958 said:

Whether Clarke is the right man or not to continue I find it strange that Ian Maxwell was going all guns blazing to extend his contract before a ball was kicked in the Euros.

Did he sign a new contract? I'd be interested to know when his current contract is up. 

6 minutes ago, spacerjoe said:

Clarke has done ok with us. But for sure tonight it was clear that attempting long balls over Modric was never going to work. If we are going to counter you can't float balls over the top - they were back behind us by the time Dykes had had his 3rd touch....

Clarke was shown up big time tonight. He clearly hadn’t given the opposition any thought at all. We played completely into their hands. It was an embarrassment.

132goals1958
Just now, Central Belt 1874 said:

Did he sign a new contract? I'd be interested to know when his current contract is up. 

Don’t think he did but Maxwell was giving him the big hype in terms of a longer deal

Usual mince! Absolutely no control when it matters! Multi-million £ players over-running ball or desperately out of control, missing chances due to lack of composure, McGinn chance.....really, same old same old! Pash!

3 minutes ago, 132goals1958 said:

Whilst he won't be judged solely on the past 3 games they're worrying signs of his management, scared to lose, stubborness, misplaced loyalty and slow to react.  I think we will struggle to qualify for Qatar and then it becomes a slippery slope. Despite the buzz of qualifying we havent improved our world rankings which means we will continue to be pot 3 and 4 for foreseeable future which equals troublesome qualifiers. 

Central Belt 1874
1 minute ago, S Form said:

Clarke was shown up big time tonight. He clearly hadn’t given the opposition any thought at all. We played completely into their hands. It was an embarrassment.

I think when the dust has settled, and the drink has worn off, this should probably be opinion of most reasonable Scottish fans. 

Just now, Central Belt 1874 said:

I think when the dust has settled, and the drink has worn off, this should probably be opinion of most reasonable Scottish fans. 

2 home games at a major.......2 easy defeats.......says it all!

Charles Ward
1 minute ago, Central Belt 1874 said:

And there is a risk of losing Robertson in his prime with the same inept management if Clarke isn't replaced.

5 minutes ago, Homme said:

If not Clarke, who?

Exactly. No manager worth a sook wants an International job until they are near retirement. Maybe Davie Moyes might fancy it in a few years. 

Just now, Jambo61 said:

2 home games at a major.......2 easy defeats.......says it all!

Whilst I wouldn't say he's not made mistakes, we were the 22nd ranked team out of 24.

On another day we beat the Czechs and qualify. We made plenty of chances but lost to a blunder.

Today, again, he should have changed it up sooner, but ultimately we were outclassed by a team we were always going to struggle against.

5 minutes ago, Homme said:

If not Clarke, who?

Depends who would be willing to take it, but I wouldn't mind asking Gerrard and his team to come on board, someone that is going to change things, and play with an attacking style. 

Maroon Sailor
10 minutes ago, Homme said:

If not Clarke, who?

Clarke until he spits his dummy out over criticism then eventually Moyes when he thinks it's the right time for him

Edited by Maroon Sailor

The problem isn’t Steve Clarke, Lyndon Dykes etc etc. 

It’s the SFA ***** and the utter mismanagement of Scottish international football. 

Depends who would be willing to take it, but I wouldn't mind asking Gerrard and his team to come on board, someone that is going to change things, and play with an attacking style. 

Houllier?

Pasquale for King
17 minutes ago, Last Laff said:

Very harsh ma man..

We have two world class full backs.  Patterson looks a tremendous prospect, if Hendry leaves celtic and continues to progress with Hanley then it's something to work on.

McTominey and Mcginn are elite level.  Goalie is a major concern but Clark is getting better.  Gimour is going to be world class, we should have played Fraser, Gauld is improving, Jack is injured.  

Up top and Goalie is major concerns.   But there's a lot more reason to be optimistic.  Hampden is never a home game either, it's a shit tip.  We should and would have done better against the likes of Croatia at Tynie. 

I don’t think they would let us have the games though. 
It is a bit harsh but they’ve been defensive in all three games, that’s the managers fault though. 9 men in the box when Modric scored, didn’t get near him all

night, Perisic is brilliant in the air yet we didn’t look ready for it. 
Mctominay will need to learn to watch the man in behind him wherever he plays, but should keep progressing. 
I think we need a top manager though to squeeze the best out of them, which will need top wages. 

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

14 teams to support 

ABE

ABW

Hard to hate Wales as they do everything we should. 

1 minute ago, spacerjoe said:

Houllier?

Steven, international and Rangers, he will be at Liverpool in a few years. 

So why shouldn't our nation get the best out of him while he is here. 

Edited by Bongo 1874

Just now, Bongo 1874 said:

Steven, international and rangers, he will be at Liverpool in a few years. 

Gerrard Scotland manager? 

wtf? 

Steven, international and Rangers, he will be at Liverpool in a few years. 

:lolderwood:

Just now, Des Lynam said:

Gerrard Scotland manager? 

wtf? 

Yes controversial I know but hear me out, who would you look upto in the dressing room Gerrard or Clarke?. 

No brainer someone who is young and can understand the players. 

Fozzyonthefence

Whilst I wouldn't say he's not made mistakes, we were the 22nd ranked team out of 24.

On another day we beat the Czechs and qualify. We made plenty of chances but lost to a blunder.

Today, again, he should have changed it up sooner, but ultimately we were outclassed by a team we were always going to struggle against.

We didn’t lose to a blunder against the Czechs, that just made it 2-0 instead of 1-0.  Agree with most of the rest of what you said but let’s remember Croatia are a team on the decline and were pish in their first 2 games.  They won’t go anywhere in this tournament, probably out in the next round (and I say that with no idea who they’ll play).

We created plenty of chances but have no composure, no finish! We lost by more than 1 goal/ 1 blunder both games. Best team in ages, but no basic control of the ball when it matters, everything is a bit desperate, hopeful! Too many players not at best, O'donnell was pretty rank tonight (I actually like him), they could be a good team, usual Scottish comment eh!

1 minute ago, Cruyff said:

:lolderwood:

He brings more to the table than Clarke, and is destined to be Liverpool manager, and the English would hate it too.