*** Scotland Euro 2020 (2021) Thread ( merged) ***

Chaps

Unknown user
Just now, This is My Story Podcast said:

We can talk about playing style, formations till we are blue in the face. The fundamental flaw with the national team is the happy clapping, here for a party, doe a deer culture. Clapped off the park last night, three day party for a nil nil draw and the usual if my aunty had balls chat after the Czech game. If everyone is “proud” just to get there, what pressure to maintain standards are there? Robertson, Tierney, Hanley, McTominay, McGinn, Gilmour, Adam’s, Fleck, McBurnie.......all play/played in the EPL, one of the best leagues in the world. Come to Scotland and their levels drop massively. There is zero pressure to perform. Until that culture is changed we will achieve nothing. In the back door of the easiest Euro’s to qualify for. Finished bottom with one point and one goal in the easiest Euros group set up to qualify from. Other nations comparable in size through, playing better with poorer players. Every pundit I listened to last night just “so proud” of what Scotland achieved. Every paper. Every player. “Proud” of themselves for what should be a national embarrassment. Out without even laying a glove on anyone and the biggest disappointment of it all is we never even had a proper go in any the games. 

It's got nothing to do with our fantastic support and everything to do with the players we produce. We don't have a decent striker, haven't for years. That's why we didn't qualify.

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sadj

• Pasquale for King

• Cruyff

• ri Alban

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, This is My Story Podcast said:

We can talk about playing style, formations till we are blue in the face. The fundamental flaw with the national team is the happy clapping, here for a party, doe a deer culture. Clapped off the park last night, three day party for a nil nil draw and the usual if my aunty had balls chat after the Czech game. If everyone is “proud” just to get there, what pressure to maintain standards are there? Robertson, Tierney, Hanley, McTominay, McGinn, Gilmour, Adam’s, Fleck, McBurnie.......all play/played in the EPL, one of the best leagues in the world. Come to Scotland and their levels drop massively. There is zero pressure to perform. Until that culture is changed we will achieve nothing. In the back door of the easiest Euro’s to qualify for. Finished bottom with one point and one goal in the easiest Euros group set up to qualify from. Other nations comparable in size through, playing better with poorer players. Every pundit I listened to last night just “so proud” of what Scotland achieved. Every paper. Every player. “Proud” of themselves for what should be a national embarrassment. Out without even laying a glove on anyone and the biggest disappointment of it all is we never even had a proper go in any the games. 

Let's stop with all this 'happy clapping' crap.  Its insulting to anyone who comes out to support their teams.  

Unknown user
1 minute ago, TexasAndy said:

Let's stop with all this 'happy clapping' crap.  Its insulting to anyone who comes out to support their teams.  

Correct mate, it's the shittest dig

The Treasurer
1 minute ago, TexasAndy said:

There’s a big difference between supporting and accepting failure 

Ainsley Harriott
4 minutes ago, This is My Story Podcast said:

Agree played 3, scored one goal and out. No other set of fans anywhere would try and paint that as some sort of success it's full on cring worthy.

This is My Story Podcast
2 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

You can support the team but also want more? What pressure is there if win lose or draw the fans won’t care? 

This is My Story Podcast
Just now, The Treasurer said:

There’s a big difference between supporting and accepting failure 

100%. 

2 minutes ago, This is My Story Podcast said:

You can support the team but also want more? What pressure is there if win lose or draw the fans won’t care? 

I agree with your sentiments although disagree that the fans don't care.  I just hate labels like 'happy clapper' and 'roaster' etc.  

Unknown user
2 minutes ago, This is My Story Podcast said:

Are you suggesting they don't want more? Would more pressure would make Lyndon Dykes a good striker?

This is My Story Podcast
Just now, TexasAndy said:

I agree with your sentiments although disagree that the fans don't care.  I just hate labels like 'happy clapper' and 'roaster' etc.  

They don’t care about what they watch on the park in my opinion. The TA can’t be sniped at for their dedication and support but for me they play a part in the problem. Happy clapping is probably the wrong statement. Accepting failure is probably a better way to say it. 

Unknown user

They don’t care about what they watch on the park in my opinion. The TA can’t be sniped at for their dedication and support but for me they play a part in the problem. Happy clapping is probably the wrong statement. Accepting failure is probably a better way to say it. 

Patently bollocks mate, the tartan army are guys like you and me away to support their team, nothing more nothing less. The idea that they're to blame for Scotland's performances is pretty ridiculous

This is My Story Podcast
2 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Are you suggesting they don't want more? Would more pressure would make Lyndon Dykes a good striker?

Would any pressure have seen Clarke removed long ago? The mans a total myth. Sneaked us in the back door and then failed miserably on the big stage. Hasn’t a clue what the best 11 is. Sticks to the same group of players that constantly let him down. We just accept it and move on. 

You are right about Dykes tho. 

Unknown user

Would any pressure have seen Clarke removed long ago? The mans a total myth. Sneaked us in the back door and then failed miserably on the big stage. Hasn’t a clue what the best 11 is. Sticks to the same group of players that constantly let him down. We just accept it and move on. 

The first manager to get us to a first major finals in 2 decades should be removed? Nah

Japan Jambo
Just now, Smithee said:

Patently bollocks mate, the tartan army are guys like you and me away to support their team, nothing more nothing less. The idea that they're to blame for Scotland's performances is pretty ridiculous

Look at the reaction to drawing with England - entirely disproportionate to what it actually meant in terms of the tournament. 

John Findlay

Ok, you right here and now. Name an alternative 26 Scotsman, to the squad Steve Clarke picked. Then name your coach/manager instead of Clarke. Go.

This is My Story Podcast
Just now, Smithee said:

Of course they aren’t to blame but they are part of the problem. It’s a culture problem from top to bottom. The performances on the park are accepted, win lose or draw by everyone, SFA, managers, players, fans and media. The TA have been brainwashed into thinking that taking part is enough. Imagine the party we’d have if we were actually decent? We defo have the players to have performed better than we did.  

Unknown user
Just now, Japan Jambo said:

Look at the reaction to drawing with England - entirely disproportionate to what it actually meant in terms of the tournament. 

So?

We're a nation of 5 million getting a good result in the oldest rivalry that exist in football, a major powerhouse of european football with a population ten times the size of ours, mutil million players in every position and on the bench, and we all feared a pumping.

Unknown user

Of course they aren’t to blame but they are part of the problem. It’s a culture problem from top to bottom. The performances on the park are accepted, win lose or draw by everyone, SFA, managers, players, fans and media. The TA have been brainwashed into thinking that taking part is enough. Imagine the party we’d have if we were actually decent? We defo have the players to have performed better than we did.  

Ah right, and if the tartan army had been less supportive those players would have done better?

A_A wehatethehibs
16 minutes ago, This is My Story Podcast said:

Mate it’s the first tournament in 23 years I think folk are entitled to be happy enough with the monkey off the back. We have had a dreadful team for years, and we were always up against it with that group, you list off our supposed top drawer players above, there’s no international Center forward among them and the ball players of croatia might be past their very best but there’s no questioning that class. 

Yes we should’ve done better but croatia and Czechs are simply better teams than us. You look at the Czech boy that scored the worldy against us, that’s a £20m bundesliga Center forward. Helped with the usual massive slice of bizarre Scottish bad luck in the way that ball fell for him. 

Folk are entitled to be happy that we managed to make some progress this year, not only that but there’s cause for excitement with a potential top class player Billy Gilmour and in Stevie Clarke a coach who knows top class football better than any other Scottish coach other than Moyes. Clarke has the full backing for the World Cup now, he got a very average squad to the euros now the task is to do the same at the World Cup. Get the best out of average players that’s been the MO of his career so if you think about it, ideal Scotland manager actually. Be great if Che Adam’s can find his feet and be a real international class striker but on last nights evidence, a lot of work to do. That’s been what’s put us out IMO, the lack of that quality Center forward. Every other weakness, Clarke mitigated it well but without a CF you just won’t win games. Not as though he can buy one! 

Edited by A_A wehatethehibs

Ex member of the SaS

All I can say is thank feck it's over. Sick of the happy clappers when everyone knows we are not good enough. They started the game with no intensity no desire and no commitment, it was clear from the KO we would fail and I turned off after the first goal.

Has anyone in the set up heard of making a tackle? We allowed them to walk up the park to our box and spray passes around without a single player putting a boot near them. When a manager sticks with a keeper who fecked us so badly shows he is not good enough, as for Adams how the hell did he get a gig, not that he was the only one.

Ainsley Harriott
12 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

20210623_084033.jpg

Spitonastranger
10 hours ago, Morgan said:

Your opinion versus mine?

:rofl: 

Your opinion is worthless going by past posts 😆

Fozzyonthefence
19 minutes ago, This is My Story Podcast said:

You could be talking about Hearts there!

This is My Story Podcast
Just now, Fozzyonthefence said:

You could be talking about Hearts there!

Haha 100%. 

11 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Mate it’s the first tournament in 23 years I think folk are entitled to be happy enough with the monkey off the back. We have had a dreadful team for years, and we were always up against it with that group, you list off our supposed top drawer players above, there’s no international Center forward among them and the ball players of croatia might be past their very best but there’s no questioning that class. 

Yes we should’ve done better but croatia and Czechs are simply better teams than us. You look at the Czech boy that scored the worldy against us, that’s a £20m bundesliga Center forward. Helped with the usual massive slice of bizarre Scottish bad luck in the way that ball fell for him. 

Folk are entitled to be happy that we managed to make some progress this year, not only that but there’s cause for excitement with a potential top class player Billy Gilmour and in Stevie Clarke a coach who knows top class football better than any other Scottish coach other than Moyes. Clarke has the full backing for the World Cup now, he got a very average squad to the euros now the task is to do the same at the World Cup. Get the best out of average players that’s been the MO of his career so if you think about it, ideal Scotland manager actually. Be great if Che Adam’s can find his feet and be a real international class striker but on last nights evidence, a lot of work to do. That’s been what’s put us out IMO, the lack of that quality Center forward. Every other weakness, Clarke mitigated it well but without a CF you just won’t win games. Not as though he can buy one! 

Well said 👍

How the fans have anything at all to do with the abilities of a team made up of poor players is a mystery to me! The team we put out last night was man for man out of its league. You cannot make up for lack of ability with huff and puff! What is wrong with our team is a total lack of the basics at international level. Honestly what are the first words you hear to describe how we have to play to get a result against any team? We have to play with passion and energy for the ninety minutes... seldom do we hear about our game plan and how we are going to go about it. I am not coming out with anything at all ground breaking in terms of assessment we all know we are poor ... but really what is being done by the SFA to improve the situation? Sadly not much as far as I can see. Until we get our coaching methods right from kids football through to the professional game we will never do anything our game from kids level through to the professional game is based on the amount of energy expended during a game not on the quality of the play. And if we must blame the fans for anything at all is is that football fans in Scotland do not want to go to games to watch possession football and the ball being passed to create chances.  No they want to see blood and snotters in every game .

Edited by jock _turd

Japan Jambo
14 minutes ago, Smithee said:

So?

We're a nation of 5 million getting a good result in the oldest rivalry that exist in football, a major powerhouse of european football with a population ten times the size of ours, mutil million players in every position and on the bench, and we all feared a pumping.

That's actually kind of my point. We revel in the 'glorious failure', 'plucky underdog' mold as if it was success in itself.

Gordon Ramsay

Technically we are still way off it. Still a bit of a hit and hope team, hoover up a second ball and try scramble a chance out of it.

Some of our players are playing at a very high level but even they still lack something. We still get the basics wrong. First touch, simple passing. 

We've got better but we were starting from a very low base point. It's going to take a long time before we get near a side like Croatia (a country with a smaller population than us yet we could barely get near the ball at times). 

Overall. Fairly decent against England but poor in the other two games. We got what we deserved. 

The Treasurer
19 minutes ago, Smithee said:

So?

That's just it. It was a good result, not a great one, but the reaction and celebrations were like we'd won the tournament 

Unknown user
Just now, The Treasurer said:

That's just it. It was a good result, not a great one, but the reaction and celebrations were like we'd won the tournament 

No they weren't 

Unknown user
5 minutes ago, Japan Jambo said:

That's actually kind of my point. We revel in the 'glorious failure', 'plucky underdog' mold as if it was success in itself.

Let's just say that's true - so what?

It doesn't change the quality of our strikers.

43 minutes ago, This is My Story Podcast said:

Good post. Two home games games in the euro group stage and an aggregate score of 1-5 is something to be embarrassed about not celebrated or even applauded. Think the players and management knew that the only result that mattered to folk was at Wembley and they gave it their all there to the detriment of the other two games. 

A_A wehatethehibs
4 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

No they weren’t? Folk were out at the pub on a Friday night having a laugh, steaming. It was just a bit of a feel good factor because we managed to not get knocked out by a team that should’ve put 6 past us if you look at the transfer value of their players. About £2bn worth of players there and the Motherwell Right back was man of the match and should’ve scored the winner 😂 

46 minutes ago, TexasAndy said:

I think what hit home after last night is that we, as a football country, need to change our attitude to the game if we ever want to compete at the business end of tournaments.  It starts at kids football and all the way through every level.  We need to start with learning how to control and pass the ball, keep possession, don't treat it like a hot tattie.  We as fans need to understand this too.  When we are watching our domestic teams trying to break down packed defences we are all screaming for the ball to be lumped up to the strikers.  That's what we did last night and it was sad to watch.  We CAN play football as we showed at Wembley but our default mentality is impatience.  Until we all change then we will never reach knock out stages.  

34% possession suggests a lack of ball retention ability or a basic failure of tactics. You win very few games with 34% possession. Unfortunately, from memory, that’s how Killie played when Clarke was there. Sit in, hit on the long-ball or break. 

Ron Burgundy

I blame raisin eyed freak McGinn for blowing our chances of winning the tournament.

Absolute sitter from 3 yards and he goes with the wrong foot.

This is my comfort blanket.

9 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

Nonsense! After being subjected to the arrogance of the likes of Rio “We will definitely win” Ferdinand et all, the celebration was all up about GIRFUY!

3 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

I blame raisin eyed freak McGinn for blowing our chances of winning the tournament.

I thought he should have gone with his head but crapped it!

2 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

McGinn seems to escape criticism in a Scotland shirt and even has the fans singing his name

The laddie seems to make moving 10 yards and playing a pass look like the most difficult thing in the world

Ron Burgundy
1 minute ago, BigAlim said:

McGinn seems to escape criticism in a Scotland shirt and even has the fans singing his name

The laddie seems to make moving 10 yards and playing a pass look like the most difficult thing in the world

To be fair he is towing a farter the size of a small village.

Fozzyonthefence
4 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

That was indeed an absolute sitter, not sure it was even as far out as 3 yards and the keeper shat himself and stayed on his line.

As poor as we were last night we had some good chances again.  I like the look of Adams but the lack of a quality striker / goal scorer is killing us.  We’re also pretty weak at the back (although the first goal could have been avoided by not playing arguably our best midfielder at centre back - Cooper or Hendry playing, I doubt we lose that goal).

We need a young keeper to break through along with a decent centre back to play beside Tierney, and a goal scorer, then we could start qualifying for tournaments again (the normal way, not through the back door), and maybe get out a group.

Fozzyonthefence
5 minutes ago, Thomaso said:

I thought he should have gone with his head but crapped it!

I thought right foot volley (was just a tap in though with anything on it!).

Everyone talking about dearth of strikers as the main failing.
All 5 goals Scotland conceded in the tournament were highly avoidable, and were the results of bad lapses in defensive concentration and/or

poor decision making.

All in all, it has been a shocker of a Euro 2020 Finals for Scotland; worst stadium in the competition, no civic attempt to promote the event in Glasgow and a pathetic turnout of well under 10.000 for the Czech Republic v Croatia match. The so called great football loving Scots, yeh right. This will not have gone unnoticed and it is unlikely that we will see another major footballing event in Scotland. 

As for the Scotland team, let's be frank; it was very poor but that can come as no surprise to anyone as the players we have are not great, and certainly not in the class of those who have failed in previous tournaments. Why was it going to be any different this time? The pre tournament hype followed by the wild enthusiasm over a 0-0 draw against an England team that didn't look in the slightest bit like it was trying was an embarrassment. Meanwhile the tartan brigade get upset because people in England and Wales laugh at Scotland!  

RustyRightPeg

It’s set in at last, was raw last night.

Midfield masterclass from them. Arguably the best midfield 3 in the tournament, Modric speaks for himself, Kovacic 4 time champions league winner and Brozovic just won Serie A with Inter. 

We were on a hiding for nothing as soon as wee Billy was out, although off the ball I’m not sure he would’ve made much difference last night. They were simply too good for us. 

We had our half chances but yet again we don’t make the goalkeeper work. The chances we create are always nearly chances, “if he got a touch on that” type. 

For me personally, with the right system, Scotland can cause teams problems but I think we’re 2 or 3 players in the right areas (mainly down the right side of the pitch) from being competitive. Not good. 

Yes Clarke got us there with the system in place but the flaws are so apparent. The emotions and magnitude of Friday night has certainly put the blinkers on some folk. We need a more forward thinking coach in.

grumpyespana

Thought after about thirty minutes we should have had done a man marking job on Modric as he was running the show in midfield.

Jambos_1874
11 minutes ago, henryheart said:

All in all, it has been a shocker of a Euro 2020 Finals for Scotland; worst stadium in the competition, no civic attempt to promote the event in Glasgow and a pathetic turnout of well under 10.000 for the Czech Republic v Croatia match. The so called great football loving Scots, yeh right. This will not have gone unnoticed and it is unlikely that we will see another major footballing event in Scotland. 

As for the Scotland team, let's be frank; it was very poor but that can come as no surprise to anyone as the players we have are not great, and certainly not in the class of those who have failed in previous tournaments. Why was it going to be any different this time? The pre tournament hype followed by the wild enthusiasm over a 0-0 draw against an England team that didn't look in the slightest bit like it was trying was an embarrassment. Meanwhile the tartan brigade get upset because people in England and Wales laugh at Scotland!  

The only thing I agree with in your post is that Hampden was the worst looking stadium, bar perhaps the one on Seville.

The cost of tickets was outrageously high so I don't blame people not wanting to go to a neutral game. There was an absence of promotion because we are in the middle of a pandemic which, sadly, many people have forgotten. There are other focuses and encouraging large groups of people to congregate is clearly not a good idea.

We haven't been to a tournament in 23 years and therefore this is a learning curve. Mistakes were made and we perhaps would have done some things differently, but the team gave their all and there is also a lot of talent in the team with many of the players yet to reach their peak. Croatia showed their quality last night and are a seasoned tournament team. I'm disappointed we're out, but also fairly pragmatic about it. I'll hold my hands up and concede that I am not one of those people who is offended by the Tartan Army and who likes to knock them/Scotland at any opportunity.

Edited by Jambos_1874

kingantti1874

It’s just a complete lack of quality across the whole squad, a complete inability to deal with the ball under pressure, the lack of a defined style, the lack of individualism, the lack of pace and power. 

we are just shite, the standard coaching at grass roots level all across Scotland is absolutely pathetic.

The Mighty Thor

Until the structure of Scottish Football changes, then nothing changes.

The players come and go. We've had better than the current crop and we've had worse. 

Those players and those to come will be hamstrung by the set up. The Largs mafia mentality. The one time they stepped outside of that bubble, they shat it before any changes made by Vogts had a chance to take effect. 

No point having a go at the poor ^^^^s that travel the world to watch that shite. They can only take what little joy they can from what's in front of them. 

The Mighty Thor
2 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

It’s just a complete lack of quality across the whole squad, a complete inability to deal with the ball under pressure, the lack of a defined style, the lack of individualism, the lack of pace and power. 

we are just shite, the standard coaching at grass roots level all across Scotland is absolutely pathetic.

From kids football upwards we have a lot of guys who are shit hot at putting out the cones and bibs.