***Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Barrie McKay signs 2 year deal ***

Batistuta87

May one-six
4 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

I agree, from the very dark week, that followed the "at best" insipid spell, they have played well since April, controlled matches, carried a threat and moved the ball far better. I think folk losing any credibility suggesting different.

However......

.....away form has to pick up, think our 2nd game is at St Mirren, thats exactly the type of game we have to put our mark on, if we cant, then it puts a lot of pressure on the home form.

If they manage to get another few in and the patience pays off, he is streetwise enough to get results. If not performances

Totally agree. Goodwin has gathered together some pretty average Scottish Premiership players but he'll have them organised and determined. If we get bullied or outfought in this game it will be a sign that we have learned no lessons and we're still the same soft touches away from home.

• Replies 35.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• BackOfTheNet

• Pasquale for King

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

Lord Beni of Gorgie
Just now, May one-six said:

Totally agree. Goodwin has gathered together some pretty average Scottish Premiership players but he'll have them organised and determined. If we get bullied or outfought in this game it will be a sign that we have learned no lessons and we're still the same soft touches away from home.

Yip, soft, lacking in belief, lacking in that touch of arrogance required, we are here to own you. We havent done that for a long long time

56 minutes ago, Mr Sifter said:

Good to see I’m not alone in my thoughts 🤣🤣

Posts the same shit everyday and even quotes himself when he gets no interactions.

Better to be left and ignored.

31 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Robbie won't have any concerns about his job, even after 3 or 4 early defeats. Last season will have been forgotten about as far as they're concerned.

Don’t believe that. He was an inch away from a sacking after Brora IMO. If we’d had crowds at last seasons game he’d be gone already. He’s got half a dozen games. Any more than 3 losses in those and he’s gone IMO.

1 hour ago, MattyK82 said:

I think the club are fully aware of the need to strengthen, if their comments to the press over the last couple of months are anything to go by. Robbie himself has repeatedly said this. As has JS.

JS also was quite clear that talk is cheap. They can say to the press all day long that they're trying to do x,y and z but actually doing it is what matters.

It shouldn't be panic stations as there is plenty of time left to get the business done but if we get off to a bad start in the league the pressure from the fans on the manager is going to be huge so they do need to crack on with it really.

59 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Gnanduillet is not shite in the slightest. McEneff has not had a run of games in his preferred position to make an appropriate judgement yet in my opinion. I’m frustrated with lack of signings too, but let’s not just state things that are observationally untrue.

McEneff couldn’t even get on the pitch at the weekend and has fallen behind a 17 year old laddie in the pecking order. Hope I’m wrong and he turns it around but he’s looking like a poor investment as it stands. 

One things for sure we are not skint, we dealt with covid well. We have spent on updating the back room staff and have saved a hefty chunk of wages on players. We will bring 2/3 in before the window closes and the panic will be over. 

2 hours ago, GinRummy said:

It's not attention seeking. Posters on this thread definitely have links to past board members of the club. I'd imagine they are just posting what they heard on the grapevine.

The poster formally known as Saughton Jambo does have links to former board members. 

It's not really a surprise to find money is tight as it will be for just about all clubs in Scotland outside the OF. 

I'm okay with the cautious approach as the important thing is to keep the club stable in these uncertain times. 

Borders Jambo
3 hours ago, Dazo said:

Knows what ? How to paint an unbalanced picture ? He completely ignored the impact of the pandemic on our finances and blamed Ann. Of course parent clubs want 100% of wages paid for loan players at the moment because they are skint too. I’m not saying there hasn’t been waste but this bollox making us out as some sort of exception is nonsense. Every club is trying to claw back as much money as they can, there will be a lot of missed income at the start of the season through no fault of our own. We will make signings has something will have to give eventually as all clubs will need to move players on. 

Money is there but it will no longer be used to over pay or panic buy. I thought this is something we all wanted ? The rush from so called hearts fans falling over themselves to have a go at the club for doing the very thing they wanted is embarrassing. 

Very well said. 👏

Jambof3tornado
46 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Robbie won't have any concerns about his job, even after 3 or 4 early defeats. Last season will have been forgotten about as far as they're concerned.

With fans in the ground it will be easier to let Ann know the feelings amongst many towards Mr Robbie.

The pressue is already on.

1 hour ago, Mr Sifter said:

Good to see I’m not alone in my thoughts 🤣🤣

Yep, the same people on every thread falling over themselves to paint the club in as negative light as is possible.

BackOfTheNet
19 minutes ago, Russ1977 said:

McEneff couldn’t even get on the pitch at the weekend and has fallen behind a 17 year old laddie in the pecking order. Hope I’m wrong and he turns it around but he’s looking like a poor investment as it stands. 

Admittedly Halliday has played decent during these cup games but quite frankly I think he’ll play regardless as long as Neilson and McCulloch are there. They’ll shoehorn him in somewhere. Pollock was given game time in the cup to aid his development, I don’t think that says he’ll be starting league games. The question will be if Neilson wants to play Haring and Halliday, or Boyce deeper etc. McEneff is a box to box midfielder that has been played at right back, RWB, defensive midfield, right midfield. He played decent at the end of last season ahead of Haring in the deeper role when Halliday was put out left to cover for Kingsley’s injury. We haven’t really played formations to suit McEneff’s strengths and when we have we’ve played him in an unorthodox position most of the time. I’m not going to write him off.

Edited by BackOfTheNet

Bazzas right boot
5 hours ago, Spookie said:

Whilst I agree we haven't been good at developing any sort of players, young or old at Hearts in along time 

Only Paterson and Hickey in recent times, I'd say average compared to other clubs. 

Hickey was just at the start of last season, that is quite recent, so your "long time" comment is utter mince. 

Rogue Daddy
1 hour ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Skint? No. 

Prudent? Yes. 

Folk happy if we sign 10 average players who won’t really help us quickly? No. 

Folk happy if we take longer to try and sign the correct type of player we need? No. 

Can I wait for this transfer window to close? No. 

...also, didn't the club allude to the fact that, if necessary, funds would/could be made available (I'm guessing with James Anderson's involvement) if a fee WAS required? Or did I just dream that?

20 minutes ago, Jamboj1 said:

One things for sure we are not skint, we dealt with covid well. We have spent on updating the back room staff and have saved a hefty chunk of wages on players. We will bring 2/3 in before the window closes and the panic will be over. 

Might be too late for Neilson by then 

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, Biffa Bacon said:

Vast majority of clubs will be under financial pressure, if no one can afford the salary then players will have to accept less than they wished for, to secure employment. They will be in no hurry to sign a deal at a reduced rate until they have exhausted all options. I suspect this will drive signings towards the end of the window.

Yip, common sense. 

Especially if you are reaching upwards relative to the players status, which I hope we are. 

Can I just check if the window slams shut on 31st August ?

Also can anyone confirm if that is 5 weeks from now ?

Thanks in advance

RustyRightPeg
6 minutes ago, Jambos1983 said:

Might be too late for Neilson by then 

going by many on here it’s too late already

19 minutes ago, Taffin said:

JS also was quite clear that talk is cheap. They can say to the press all day long that they're trying to do x,y and z but actually doing it is what matters.

It shouldn't be panic stations as there is plenty of time left to get the business done but if we get off to a bad start in the league the pressure from the fans on the manager is going to be huge so they do need to crack on with it really.

Absolutely. He certainly said all the right things but like you say, words alone are no good. Talk is indeed cheap.

Getting rid of a lot of the deadwood during the last two months has been good to see as has the long overdue restructuring of the recruitment team.

The lack of movement in bringing players in is however, frustrating. I’m as impatient as the next supporter. 

I am still hopeful of good signings. I just thought we would have added a bit more by now as it’s obvious various areas need strengthening. That being said, the season in Scotland starts ridiculously early and if we are, for example primarily using the English market, then the delay in bringing players in doesn’t overly surprise me.

With fans gradually being allowed back, there will be no hiding place for RN and the likes if the league campaign gets off to a poor start. LC games have been encouraging. I appreciate the level of opposition but you can only beat what’s in front of you. We will get a proper gauge of where we are at on Saturday evening.

30 minutes ago, Russ1977 said:

Far too early to tell re: McEneff. 

For example, Hartley didn’t exactly set the heather alight when he joined but he turned out ok..

Batistuta87
10 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

Christ, Logan is a fantastic signing for them - obviously convenient for him to stay in Aberdeen and play part time since he's got a "life after football" plumming business. 

Edited by Batistuta87

kingantti1874
5 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Christ, Logan is a fantastic signing for them - obviously he's decided to play for the sake of playing and to stay in Aberdeen to run his business. 

honestly that’s a great bit of business for them. Shay Logan is a better player than Michael Smith. 

Robbo-Jambo

At the end of last season we were told there was some funds available to bring in new players .

So the skint talk is not strictly accurate is it ? 

6 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Christ, Logan is a fantastic signing for them - obviously he's decided to play for the sake of playing and to stay in Aberdeen to run his business. 

Great signing. Too good for League 1. Thought we should have signed him and played smith in the middle. I know he’s had some off the field issues but thought was worth a deal

One of the issues with persisting with a manager like Neilson is that he doesn’t seem to be much of draw for players.

Obviously there are other factors like European football and competition from various diddy clubs in England but it would be nice to have a gaffer who players would walk over hot coals to sign for. I don’t think Robbie is that guy.

KyleLafferty
1 minute ago, Gershwin said:

One of the issues with persisting with a manager like Neilson is that he doesn’t seem to be much of draw for players.

Obviously there are other factors like European football and competition from various diddy clubs in England but it would be nice to have a gaffer who players would walk over hot coals to sign for. I don’t think Robbie is that guy.

How do you know this? 

I think the worrying thing is we won the championship in March and should have been well ahead of other teams with planning for this season. Hopefully we have players lined up but have a feeling we have missed out on most of our original targets. 

Bazzas right boot
44 minutes ago, Russ1977 said:

This is brilliant. 

Give the young  laddies a chance. 

Young lad gets a chance, does well. Rather than conclude it's good we have competition, the thinking McEneff is now a poor investment. 

At least you say you hope he turns it around. 

Bazzas right boot
17 minutes ago, Newton51 said:

That's a whelm signing for them. 

Clearly wants to stay up near Uberdeen for personal reasons. 

17 minutes ago, johnthomas said:

Can I just check if the window slams shut on 31st August ?

Also can anyone confirm if that is 5 weeks from now ?

Thanks in advance

There are 2 different dates that are pertinent here:

31st July - 1st League Game

31st August - Transfer Window closes.

In between the 2 dates, we have 4 league games & a league cup tie to get through. Only an eternal optimist would think that it's great business not to strengthen the squad before the first date, rather than wait until the 2nd date.

RustyRightPeg
29 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

...also, didn't the club allude to the fact that, if necessary, funds would/could be made available (I'm guessing with James Anderson's involvement) if a fee WAS required? Or did I just dream that?

A lot of things go missing on here when agendas are the topic of discussion mate

Time will tell on the “quality over quantity” chat from Neilson and Savage. 

I have a funny feeling that statement will come back to haunt both of them.

Absolute Scenes
3 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

This is brilliant. 

Young lad gets a chance, does well. Rather than conclude it's good we have competition, the thinking McEneff is now a poor investment. 

Ah but you see, this involves thinking and as obvious as it is to us, takes a rather long time for the old rusty cogs to move into motion for others. 

McEneff will be a good investment otherwise we wouldn’t have forked our money for him. 

2 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Furraboots? 🤔 

3 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

This is brilliant. 

I’ve no idea why you are having a go at me about young lads getting a chance as I’m delighted they are as well. All I’m saying is based on how he’s performed so far and it looking like he’s slipped quite far down the pecking order he’s not looking like a great signing so far. 

I will be delighted if he turns it around and becomes the present day Hartley. 

Shay Logan has signed for Cove Rangers. Absolute coup of a signing for them. I thought he would have went to another premiership side.

Stendelnator
16 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

honestly that’s a great bit of business for them. Shay Logan is a better player than Michael Smith. 

Laughable comment. Genuinely embarrassed for you 

37 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Only Paterson and Hickey in recent times, I'd say average compared to other clubs. 

Hickey was just at the start of last season, that is quite recent, so your "long time" comment is utter mince. 

2 in about 200 lol and by the way celtic developed Hickey which is why they received 30% of his Bologna fee so you're down to 1 in over 200  in recent times 

That's mince 🤔

3 minutes ago, Sertse said:

Shay Logan has signed for Cove Rangers. Absolute coup of a signing for them. I thought he would have went to another premiership side.

Stunned he is at that level. Must be for personal reasons wanting to stay in the north. Thought he was very good for us, showed some fight and a willingness to go forward, would have been happy for him to have signed.

Rogue Daddy
13 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

A lot of things go missing on here when agendas are the topic of discussion mate

😂 aint that the truth!  👍

16 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Finances don't seem to be affecting Cove 

Clerry Jambo
17 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

I have a funny feeling that statement will come back to haunt both of them.

So do I but let’s see who we get 

14 minutes ago, Spookie said:

2 in about 200 lol and by the way celtic developed Hickey which is why they received 30% of his Bologna fee so you're down to 1 in over 200  in recent times 

That's mince 🤔

This myth that Celtic developed Hickey is nonesense. Hickey developed by playing first team football at Hearts which he would never have got at Celtic. 

jamboinglasgow
22 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Things said by people at the club and ITK posters get twisted as well to meet agendas.

Take the "Wow" signing that people are expecting, if you go back to what Daz says it was that we are in talks with player that would be a wow signing if we pulled it off but he thought it would unlikely we could pull it off. This got quickly changed by people here that there is going to be a wow signing. 

22 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

I have a funny feeling that statement will come back to haunt both of them...

...and us, Ethan.

If sufficient quality isn't added to the current squad we're all in for a long, difficult season.

Some will still lap it up, though.

David Black

The lack of signings has gone on so long now, allied to the repeated comments from JS and RN about being close I am very much of the opinion that things will happen early next month. Just a guess I should add, but if we were to go down the road of signing for the sake of it, we would have brought in some by now.

19 minutes ago, Spookie said:

That's mince 🤔

All true.

2 genuine successes in 7/8 years does not exactly scream "great youth system".

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to ***Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Barrie McKay signs 2 year deal ***