***Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Barrie McKay signs 2 year deal ***

Batistuta87

kingantti1874
32 minutes ago, Stendelnator said:

Laughable comment. Genuinely embarrassed for you 

You may well be but that doesn’t make me any less correct. Smiths days as a right back are behind him, he doesn’t have the engine to get forward consistently game after game.  His best position now is centre back. 

logan improved us massively on the right at the end of last season.

i posted similar during the season last year, initially the reaction was similar to yours. Bt the end of the season almost unanimous agreement. 

Edited by kingantti1874

• Replies 35.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• BackOfTheNet

• Pasquale for King

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

mickycameron98

I'll not be happy until we sign some unknown quantity from the likes of Holland or Austria so I can check out his highlights reel on YouTube. Then get myself super excited we have signed a complete steal, only for it to turn out to be the next David Witteveen 😕

Edited by mickycameron98

5 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

You may well be but that doesn’t make me any less correct. Smiths days as a right back are behind him, he doesn’t have the engine to get forward consistently game after game. His best position now is centre back. 

And it's likely to be an area we are looking to strengthen. The options are not just Smith or Logan.

BackOfTheNet
17 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Things said by people at the club and ITK posters get twisted as well to meet agendas.

Take the "Wow" signing that people are expecting, if you go back to what Daz says it was that we are in talks with player that would be a wow signing if we pulled it off but he thought it would unlikely we could pull it off. This got quickly changed by people here that there is going to be a wow signing. 

People definitely misconstrue statements. I think some would appreciate more if such things don’t come off if they were named though. dazajambo in the past has said we were after a big signing and later revealed it was Jordan Rhodes. We’ll see come the end of the window if the wow signing doesn’t sign if the name is mentioned I guess.

BackOfTheNet
5 minutes ago, mickycameron98 said:

I'll not be happy until we sign some unknown quantity from the likes of Holland or Austria so I can check out his highlights reel on YouTube. Then get myself super excited we have signed a complete steal, only for it to turn out to be the next David Witteveen 😕

Been a while since an obligatory YouTube vid to scrutinise

23 minutes ago, 19/05/2012 said:

This myth that Celtic developed Hickey is nonesense. Hickey developed by playing first team football at Hearts which he would never have got at Celtic. 

Oh right do we not have to give celtic 30% of the bologna signing on fee then? 

18 minutes ago, martoon said:

All true.

2 genuine successes in 7/8 years does not exactly scream "great youth system".

It Doesn't does it 

40 minutes ago, Leisham38 said:

Stunned he is at that level. Must be for personal reasons wanting to stay in the north. Thought he was very good for us, showed some fight and a willingness to go forward, would have been happy for him to have signed.

They've honestly made signing of the season relative to their size. Easily a premiership level player. Surprised he didn't go to ICT or Ross County, which would have still been a great signing for them.

Bazzas right boot
42 minutes ago, Spookie said:

Finances don't seem to be affecting Cove 

And? 

Bazzas right boot
48 minutes ago, Spookie said:

2 in about 200 lol and by the way celtic developed Hickey which is why they received 30% of his Bologna fee so you're down to 1 in over 200  in recent times 

That's mince 🤔

So you admit your initial statement was mince then. 

We'll done, not many folk admit when they are wrong on here. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
21 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

You may well be but that doesn’t make me any less correct. Smiths days as a right back are behind him, he doesn’t have the engine to get forward consistently game after game.  His best position now is centre back. 

i posted similar during the season last year, initially the reaction was similar to yours. Bt the end of the season almost unanimous agreement. 

Bit of a free hit for Logan with us in that 5. Easily beaten in the air and on the inside as a right back for Aberdeen, his days were behind him there, so why would we sign him? Add in a drink driving charge and a money laundering inquiry, I think we are safer with Michael Smith myself, but each to their own I suppose

Saint Jambo
4 minutes ago, Sertse said:

They've honestly made signing of the season relative to their size. Easily a premiership level player. Surprised he didn't go to ICT or Ross County, which would have still been a great signing for them.

It takes as long to drive from Aberdeen to Inverness as it does from Aberdeen to Edinburgh. Over 5 hour round trip versus half an hour to Cove. Are Cove part time as well? Given he turns 34 mid season it sounds like he is setting himself up nicely for his final few years of football.

Bazzas right boot
58 minutes ago, Russ1977 said:

I’ve no idea why you are having a go at me about young lads getting a chance as I’m delighted they are as well. All I’m saying is based on how he’s performed so far and it looking like he’s slipped quite far down the pecking order he’s not looking like a great signing so far. 

I will be delighted if he turns it around and becomes the present day Hartley. 

Not having a go, just interesting to see how a young player having a good start is flipped around on here to one of our senior players being a poor investment. 

Different strokes, different folks tho. 

1 minute ago, Smith's right boot said:

So you admit your initial statement was mince then. 

We'll done, not many folk admit when they are wrong on here. 

No it was not

Hickey was developed by Celtic it was his performances in maroon are what have earned him a move. Full stop. The end 

Opinions and observations differ in life 

Let's move on 👍

6 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

And? 

Let's move on SRB 

Your opinion differs from mine 

Such if life mate 

Bazzas right boot
15 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Bit of a free hit for Logan with us in that 5. Easily beaten in the air and on the inside as a right back for Aberdeen, his days were behind him there, so why would we sign him? Add in a drink driving charge and a money laundering inquiry, I think we are safer with Michael Smith myself, but each to their own I suppose

Folk will no doubt argue different. 

Play youth, but sign a 34 year old rb not good enough for Aberdeen to replace our  32 year old rb who's best days are apparently behind him. 

You can't make that up logic up. 

JKB is becoming more of a comedy than a football forum. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

6 hours ago, SMJ_1874 said:

Totally skint. We can only get free agents in or loan deals in in this transfer window.  I suspect that all free agents will be looking at going to the highest bidder in terms of what’s being offered in wages and we’re not top of their shopping list. We will have a few new faces in the door but it maybe a few weeks yet, near the end of the window and probably won’t be our first or even second choice that for that matter. 

Due to our clubs former signing policy, we have been utterly wasteful with club funds and it’s now came back to bite us. Ann wasn’t kidding when she said top 6 is our target. I’m not  even sure this squad are top 6 material. Time will tell though. 

Is this guesswork or are you in the know regarding club finances?

Bazzas right boot
1 minute ago, Spookie said:

No it was not

Hickey was developed by Celtic it was his performances in maroon are what have earned him a move. Full stop. The end 

Let's move on 👍

As, so we've not developed any youth if you discount the ones we did develop. 

Cracking. 

Also, If you discount the games we won last season, we won no games. 

Cracking train of thought. 

2 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

As, so we've not developed any youth if you discount the ones we did develop. 

Cracking. 

Also, If you discount the games we won last season, we won no games. 

Cracking train of thought. 

Sorry you've completely and utterly lost me now

Different strokes for different folks tho 👍

Would be stupid to let neilson bring players in!!

it just means the new coach when he arrives has to work with the old coaches pish he’s brought in.

He will be gone by Xmas anyway.

14 minutes ago, Spookie said:

No it was not

Let's move on 👍

Hickey went from Hearts to Celtic and back to Hearts, so it wasn't just Celtic who developed him.

kingantti1874
18 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

To be clear I would sign him now given what has happened since. Still believe he is better than smith who’s best days are behind him.  So often he checks play and plays a square pass - he doesn’t have the engine to drive On any more. 

would far rather smith  played at centre back. He is easily out best CB after Souttar, has the engine and experience to play that role effectively and can pass as well. 

13 minutes ago, Spookie said:

No it was not

Let's move on 👍

Hickey was being developed by Celtic.

He saw no futher development chances so he left to join us

We further developed him into an established first team player good enough to earn a Million+ transfer fee.

We agreed to a 30% transfer fee instead of an upfront payment to Celtic.

In hindsight we lost some money on that, but still earned a big payday for our role in his development

Famous 1874

Logan would have been a great signing for us let alone Cove. Makes sense for him as he has a plumbing business based in Aberdeen I believe. 

Imo he is better than Michael Smith at right back / right wing back. Would have allowed Smith to move into right centre back too. 

1 minute ago, DG_HMFC said:

Hickey went from Hearts to Celtic and back to Hearts, so it wasn't just Celtic who developed him.

Agreed Dougie but spent more years developing at Celtic 

1 minute ago, Gulf Jambo said:

Hickey was being developed by Celtic.

He saw no futher development chances so he left to join us

We further developed him into an established first team player good enough to earn a Million+ transfer fee.

We agreed to a 30% transfer fee instead of an upfront payment to Celtic.

In hindsight we lost some money on that, but still earned a big payday for our role in his development

So he wasn't solely developed by Hearts that's my point really

Lord Beni of Gorgie
Just now, kingantti1874 said:

To be clear I would sign him now given what has happened since. Still believe he is better than smith who’s best days are behind him.  So often he checks play and plays a square pass - he doesn’t have the engine to drive On any more. 

would far rather smith  played at centre back. He is easily out best CB after Souttar, has the engine and experience to play that role effectively and can pass as well. 

Logans best days are behind him. 5 games at the end of the season, with Smith ironically playing in behind him well. Smith might need competition or a bit of help, but still a very good player/man to have in our team/squad. Where we might agree, I always thought that a good young wing back and move Smith into the right of the 3 or sweeper would be a good move, especially if Souttar is injured. I think Neilson is well aware of it, as he was on the left side hiring Cochrane, Kingsley fitness was a more immediate problem, addressed and promptly

On 06/06/2021 at 16:12, Djnoisy said:

So after 156 pages of shite, we've signed nae one and are in for loads out of our price range?

So almost two months later we've done literally feck all in the transfer market. Roll on this season. 

4 minutes ago, Famous 1874 said:

Logan would have been a great signing for us let alone Cove. Makes sense for him as he has a plumbing business based in Aberdeen I believe. 

Imo he is better than Michael Smith at right back / right wing back. Would have allowed Smith to move into right centre back too. 

Pretty sure Logan was talking to Cove the previous season . Deal probably in place a while back

Famous 1874
Just now, johnthomas said:

Pretty sure Logan was talking to Cove the previous season . Deal probably in place a while back

Wouldn’t surprise me mate 

2 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

I agree, from the very dark week, that followed the "at best" insipid spell, they have played well since April, controlled matches, carried a threat and moved the ball far better. I think folk losing any credibility suggesting different.

However......

.....away form has to pick up, think our 2nd game is at St Mirren, thats exactly the type of game we have to put our mark on, if we cant, then it puts a lot of pressure on the home form.

If they manage to get another few in and the patience pays off, he is streetwise enough to get results. If not performances

Good post 👍 Neilson is under pressure but if he can buck the trend with our lacklustre away form starting in Paisley then great.  A new Centre half & centre mid is a must ASAP. 

22 minutes ago, Spookie said:

No it was not

Let's move on 👍

He only spent one year at Celtic 2017 - 2018

Niemi’s gloves
8 minutes ago, Spookie said:

Wasn’t he a Hearts academy player before he went to Celtic academy?

1 hour ago, Spookie said:

Finances don't seem to be affecting Cove 

No and they won’t if you know anything about the that bankrolls them

54 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Has Smith recovered from long covid fully yet?

40 minutes ago, Spookie said:

It Doesn't does it 

um bongo??? Is that you

31 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Aye away to work for a sexist , racist arsehole too 😉

SM Sheffield
56 minutes ago, martoon said:

All true.

2 genuine successes in 7/8 years does not exactly scream "great youth system".

It’s all relative. I would say our youth system has been pretty good compared to most clubs. It could be better undoubtedly but my local team Sheffield Wednesday haven’t developed a top player in over 20 years. The best they’ve had is Liam Palmer who is an average at best full back. 

Celtic will find that out soon enough when they realise what Shaw and Urhoghide are really like ability wise.

9 minutes ago, Spookie said:

So he wasn't solely developed by Hearts that's my point really

Except  it wasn’t. You said he was developed by Celtic. You gave hearts no credit what do ever. Despite being at hearts before Celtic, make his first team debut at 16 for hearts. Yeah sounds like you had a point and it was utter bollox. Stick to dark alleyways trying to scare people. 

Edited by Dazo

56 minutes ago, David Black said:

The lack of signings has gone on so long now, allied to the repeated comments from JS and RN about being close I am very much of the opinion that things will happen early next month. Just a guess I should add, but if we were to go down the road of signing for the sake of it, we would have brought in some by now.

Just guessing doesn’t make a summer. I want to see the proof in the pudding. Being close isn’t a closed deal. Next month is repeated too often. JS & RN’ comments mean nothing without action.

7 minutes ago, Spookie said:

After spending time in the youth system at Heart of Midlothian, Hickey had a spell with the academy teams at Celtic. After four years at Celtic he chose to return to Hearts in 2018, with Celtic receiving 30% of a future transfer fee.[1][2]

Not according to Transfermarkt 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/aaron-hickey/profil/spieler/591949

1 hour ago, KyleLafferty said:

How do you know this? 

It's clearly just my opinion. But I do think there's some logic to it – better managers/big name managers tend to attract better players. 

1 minute ago, Dazo said:

Except  it wasn’t. You said he was developed by Celtic. You gave hearts no credit what do ever. Despite being at hearts before Celtic, make his first team debut at 16 for hearts. Yeah sounds like you had a point and it was utter bollox. Stick to dark alleyways trying to scare people. 

He was developed by Celtic then came to prominence playing first team football at Hearts so my Point is valid and stands. This place is actually incredible ☹ are we no allowed to have different opinions to each other. Dark alleyways is such a weird comment,  that's something I'd expect my teenager to come out with. Lovely stuff mate 

kingantti1874
14 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Logans best days are behind him. 5 games at the end of the season, with Smith ironically playing in behind him well. Smith might need competition or a bit of help, but still a very good player/man to have in our team/squad. Where we might agree, I always thought that a good young wing back and move Smith into the right of the 3 or sweeper would be a good move, especially if Souttar is injured. I think Neilson is well aware of it, as he was on the left side hiring Cochrane, Kingsley fitness was a more immediate problem, addressed and promptly

I meant to say wouldn’t sign him mate and I agree with pretty much all of the above.

17 minutes ago, Spookie said:

It was his first team exposure at Tynecastle what made him the player he has the potential to become imo. 

It was said years ago the academy was goosed and would take a few years to get back to producing. We now start to be seeing that with McGill,Stone,Pollock and hopefully Logan aswell once he's back fit and challenging for right back

2 minutes ago, DG_HMFC said:

It was his first team exposure at Tynecastle what made him the player he has the potential to become imo. 

Correct Dougie something Celtic didn't believe he had in him. Got his move and we made 70% so it's been a winner 

1 minute ago, bazman said:

It was said years ago the academy was goosed and would take a few years to get back to producing. We now start to be seeing that with McGill,Stone,Pollock and hopefully Logan aswell once he's back fit and challenging for right back

I'm confident our academy will begin to produce excellent young footballers. 

3 minutes ago, bazman said:

Let's hope so Bazman Pollock has impressed so far, I've not seen enough of McGill but hope that will change this season 

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to ***Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Barrie McKay signs 2 year deal ***