***Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Barrie McKay signs 2 year deal ***

Batistuta87

jamboinglasgow
44 minutes ago, Portable Badger said:

👍🏻        Any ideas as to whom those youngsters whose contracts are up are?

Apart from Makovora (and with the announced contract extensions) there is no one else who is out of contract and unconfirmed if their leaving that I can see. 

Only thing is that 3 academy graduates who signed in the summer (Michael Gordon, Mackenzie Kirk and Michael Aitken) I am unsure what length of contract they have. Considering Harris Spratt and Aidan Denholm who also signed last summer were announced with new contracts. Though I do wonder maybe those two turn 18 this year while the others (I think) turn 17 this year so may have got a 2 year contract.

• Replies 35.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• BackOfTheNet

• Pasquale for King

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

Leveins Battalion
9 minutes ago, OTT said:

I've said this a few times before, but we have the former academy director of Manchester Utd sitting on our door step unemployed. 

Surely to god, worth a conversation especially given the poor results from the academy...

Have you watched any footage of him talking to players?He is beyond awkward.

My friends laddie plays under 16 for us and is decent,but if he and his son were not big Jambos they would look elsewhere.

Arnott will hopefully be dissed out by Savage.

6 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Have you watched any footage of him talking to players?He is beyond awkward.

My friends laddie plays under 16 for us and is decent,but if he and his son were not big Jambos they would look elsewhere.

Arnott will hopefully be dissed out by Savage.

Thats horrendous to hear, there is eminently more qualified individuals either available now, or recruitable. 

I really hope the academy job isn't being viewed as a job for life like John Murray. 

Portable Badger
9 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Apart from Makovora (and with the announced contract extensions) there is no one else who is out of contract and unconfirmed if their leaving that I can see. 

Only thing is that 3 academy graduates who signed in the summer (Michael Gordon, Mackenzie Kirk and Michael Aitken) I am unsure what length of contract they have. Considering Harris Spratt and Aidan Denholm who also signed last summer were announced with new contracts. Though I do wonder maybe those two turn 18 this year while the others (I think) turn 17 this year so may have got a 2 year contract.

Thanks for that.   I must admit I couldn’t remember who’d signed when and how long for

jamboinglasgow
Just now, Portable Badger said:

Thanks for that.   I must admit I couldn’t remember who’d signed when and how long for

To be fair, when they announced Academy graduates in the summer they never said who got what length of contract (they did that usually in the past.)

27 minutes ago, OTT said:

I've said this a few times before, but we have the former academy director of Manchester Utd sitting on our door step unemployed. 

Surely to god, worth a conversation especially given the poor results from the academy...

I wonder why no other clubs in the UK have been breaking their necks to get him hired.

Byyy The Light
50 minutes ago, OTT said:

Jesus. That is pretty grim. 

Are things okay in the academy? I just wonder at a certain point do questions get asked of Roger Arnott? He's been in charge of the academy since Levein and Budge have came in and we're yet to produce a player of note. Its effectively 7 years of failure. 

I agree to a certain extent but you can’t bring through 5, 6 or 7 talents every year. You’d end up with a ridiculously sized squad hovering in no mans land.

I’ve said it on here before, I genuinely don’t see the point in the academy. You have to bring through so many players who’ll never make the grade just to pad out the numbers. 

3 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I wonder why no other clubs in the UK have been breaking their necks to get him hired.

Maybe he's happy in Scotland? Either way, someone with that CV is a no brainer. Whats Arnotts? Dunfermline youth coach... Can even totally pass over McClair, what about Motherwells set up? They produce talent regularly. 

Just now, Byyy The Light said:

I agree to a certain extent but you can’t bring through 5, 6 or 7 talents every year. You’d end up with a ridiculously sized squad hovering in no mans land.

I’ve said it on here before, I genuinely don’t see the point in the academy. You have to bring through so many players who’ll never make the grade just to pad out the numbers. 

Wasn't saying we should, 1 or 2 a season would be fine. My issue is that we're not even getting 1. None of the youth being produced are holding down a first team spot. I think at a certain point the club need to look at that lack of success and ask why. I think the academy serves a purpose, but we're not utilising it properly. 

Batistuta87

7 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Maybe because for every hit the Man Utd Academy had, they had 200 horrendous flops. 

SomethingAboutObua
13 minutes ago, OTT said:

Whats Arnotts? Dunfermline youth coach... 

Was also Fife Active Schools co-ordinator for  long time. Far as I can see that means like organising after school clubs...

Byyy The Light
14 minutes ago, OTT said:

Maybe he's happy in Scotland? Either way, someone with that CV is a no brainer. Whats Arnotts? Dunfermline youth coach... Can even totally pass over McClair, what about Motherwells set up? They produce talent regularly. 

Wasn't saying we should, 1 or 2 a season would be fine. My issue is that we're not even getting 1. None of the youth being produced are holding down a first team spot. I think at a certain point the club need to look at that lack of success and ask why. I think the academy serves a purpose, but we're not utilising it properly. 

Don’t agree. We’re bringing them out the academy and they can’t make the step up. We’ve had plenty guys given the chance and the step up is too big.

Motherwell don’t bring that many through. The ones that do kick on get a decent run in their team because the expectation there is so much lower.

Our young boys get about 30 mins of 1st team football before the experts on here write them off.  Can take a young player a whole season to get to grips with the level but we can’t afford to give them that much time. Harry Paton, Scott Robinson, Jason Holt etc just couldn’t be given the time. 

I think the fault is with the structure of Scottish football more than anything else. I’m in favour of colts teams but only if they are open to everyone and not just the Old Firm. 

Leveins Battalion

Arnott is an absolute joke IMO,we have guys like Darren Murray actually out and about in Midlothian,East Lothian,Edinburgh day after day coaching kids and we have this FUD in charge of our youth system talking about developing them as “Human Beings”

This is Hearts under Budge 🤣

9 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Arnott is an absolute joke IMO,we have guys like Darren Murray actually out and about in Midlothian,East Lothian,Edinburgh day after day coaching kids and we have this FUD in charge of our youth system talking about developing them as “Human Beings”

This is Hearts under Budge 🤣

Darren Murray 🤣🤣🤣

lost in space
14 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

Don’t agree. We’re bringing them out the academy and they can’t make the step up. We’ve had plenty guys given the chance and the step up is too big.

Motherwell don’t bring that many through. The ones that do kick on get a decent run in their team because the expectation there is so much lower.

Our young boys get about 30 mins of 1st team football before the experts on here write them off.  Can take a young player a whole season to get to grips with the level but we can’t afford to give them that much time. Harry Paton, Scott Robinson, Jason Holt etc just couldn’t be given the time. 

I think the fault is with the structure of Scottish football more than anything else. I’m in favour of colts teams but only if they are open to everyone and not just the Old Firm. 

Surely the loan system is the answer to this. It hasn't particularly been effective for us so far but if you look at Kai Kennedy at RR (Rangers player) + the players Rangers have at QoS  - it can work.

Maybe our players have been loaned out to the wrong clubs - or are never going to be good enough.

We surely have a flexible structure for final development of young players into first team????

1 hour ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Arnott is a fecking imposter of the highest order.😂😂

Definitely need to punt this clown and bring in someone with a track record. 

Batistuta87
5 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Declan Gallagher has just signed pre-contract with Aberdeen.

I'd take Hoban from Aberdeen if they're letting him go.... 

42 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

I definitely agree with that. We're a small country and spend too much time catering to minnows, who don't actually contribute much to the overall direction of Scottish football. I realise thats quiote arrogant, and I'm not questioning their right to exist, but with the size of the country, I think more effort needs to be made to develop a league structure which works for the circa 20 or so genuinely professional sides. 

Colt teams open to all professional sides (to begin at the same time) within a restructure to promote more regionalised leagues I think would be good. Think it would allow for greater control of the development of youngsters. Often loans will be to shite clubs with worse coaches. Sure experience is great, but we can't really control much beyond that. Having a colts team that plays similarly to the first team should help soften the step up into the first team (I would hope anyway). 

Kind of went off topic here lol, my hope with the academy is that it reduces our reliance on the transfer market. I think signing unsellable 28 year olds has become a crutch in recent years that has spectacularly blown up in our face. The 2013 season saw Walker et al step up and although we were relegated, excluding the points deduction we would have stayed up. My point is that youngsters can hack it in this league, but they need time. (which we seem to agree with). I think fans are willing to reduce expectations provided direction and growth are evident. I.e if we were to become more youth centric, I could see fans cutting the club more slack provided we don't seem rudderless and there is a clear plan. 

Byyy The Light
10 minutes ago, OTT said:

I definitely agree with that. We're a small country and spend too much time catering to minnows, who don't actually contribute much to the overall direction of Scottish football. I realise thats quiote arrogant, and I'm not questioning their right to exist, but with the size of the country, I think more effort needs to be made to develop a league structure which works for the circa 20 or so genuinely professional sides. 

Colt teams open to all professional sides (to begin at the same time) within a restructure to promote more regionalised leagues I think would be good. Think it would allow for greater control of the development of youngsters. Often loans will be to shite clubs with worse coaches. Sure experience is great, but we can't really control much beyond that. Having a colts team that plays similarly to the first team should help soften the step up into the first team (I would hope anyway). 

Kind of went off topic here lol, my hope with the academy is that it reduces our reliance on the transfer market. I think signing unsellable 28 year olds has become a crutch in recent years that has spectacularly blown up in our face. The 2013 season saw Walker et al step up and although we were relegated, excluding the points deduction we would have stayed up. My point is that youngsters can hack it in this league, but they need time. (which we seem to agree with). I think fans are willing to reduce expectations provided direction and growth are evident. I.e if we were to become more youth centric, I could see fans cutting the club more slack provided we don't seem rudderless and there is a clear plan. 

Agree with pretty much everything you’ve said there 👍🏼 apart from the fans expectations, that’s maybe pushing it 🤣

Batistuta87
4 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

We're fine at right sided centre back. Was more disappointed missing out on Findlay.

Same 

10 minutes ago, Hood09 said:

Aberdeen seem to constantly beat us for high quality Scottish signings. Pretty poor to be honest. 

Meh, 30 year old, stock has risen since he's had a few good games for Scotland but he has been pretty poor this season.  I'm glad we weren't in for him, stinks of a signing that folk get excited about and then multiple threads on here by September discussing how pish he is.

If we are playing a back 3 with Souttar in middle then Gallagher would have been a good signing to play right side of the three.

26 minutes ago, Hood09 said:

Aberdeen seem to constantly beat us for high quality Scottish signings. Pretty poor to be honest. 

I'm taking this as a positive in that we have a better and younger alternative lined up so we chose not to do battle with the sheep for him 

Batistuta87
24 minutes ago, Hood09 said:

I'm not massively fussed about Gallagher. Pretty sure he'd have been a decent player but there's plenty younger players out there.

My wish list is now Jimmy Dunne, Dom Hyam, Tom McIntyre, Tommie Hoban, Murray Wallace, or pay a small fee for Jason Kerr. 

Leveins Battalion
12 minutes ago, ericb said:

I'm taking this as a positive in that we have a better and younger alternative lined up so we chose not to do battle with the sheep for him 

Ffs we just took a 33 year old who couldn’t get a game for the sheep and he looked better than anything we had 🤣🤣

Leveins Battalion
9 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

I'm not massively fussed about Gallagher. Pretty sure he'd have been a decent player but there's plenty younger players out there.

My wish list is now Jimmy Dunne, Dom Hyam, Tom McIntyre, Tommie Hoban, Murray Wallace, or pay a small fee for Jason Kerr. 

Hoban is pish 🤣

Lord Beni of Gorgie
9 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Better than Halkett...

Potato potato 

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Good solid signings for tramps and sheep today, price of relegation I hope is not too great getting decent players in going to need them 

Batistuta87
13 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Potato potato 

Lol true. Similar ability tbh but Hoban probably just pips it for me. 

Edited by Batistuta87

The Apprentice
19 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Hoban is rubbish. 

Edited by The Apprentice

Lord Beni of Gorgie
27 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Probably costs more and has prior to this season a horrific health record. Halkett as back up or emergency striker off bench hail Mary style for me. Not going to bend me out of shape all the same 

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, Hood09 said:

Not true and every time ourselves and Aberdeen are in for the same player it's been underwhelming for the successful club. 

Recently Sammon, Bryson, Main spring to mind 

2 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

Jason will have options this summer. There is quite a but of interest, unfortunately nothing from Hearts.

We had interest in Gallagher but he wasn’t 1st choice and Robbie is looking for a left footed centre half ideally. We weren’t willing to Match the wages of Aberdeen and clubs down south for someone we weren't 100% in for. No big deal imo we move on 

1 minute ago, Jamboj1 said:

We had interest in Gallagher but he wasn’t 1st choice and Robbie is looking for a left footed centre half ideally. We weren’t willing to Match the wages of Aberdeen and clubs down south for someone we weren't 100% in for. No big deal imo we move on 

Thank god for that, would be worried if Declan Gallagher was our main target. 

Leveins Battalion

Some folk wetting the Bed over the sheep signing Gallagher and Hibs signing a young Inverness guy?:cornette:

johnking123

Need a few 22 to 25 year old eager to prove themselves and want to go on to better things.

Nookie Bear
52 minutes ago, johnking123 said:

Need a few 22 to 25 year old eager to prove themselves and want to go on to better things.

Or players wanting to achieve things with us first. 

Rick Sanchez
9 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Or players wanting to achieve things with us first. 

Always hated the stepping stone chat.

Nookie Bear
6 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Always hated the stepping stone chat.

Me too. 

I understand where we fit in football and that players are ambitious but I maintain we need players who want to achieve things with us first. If they are good enough then Barca will come calling. 

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to ***Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Barrie McKay signs 2 year deal ***