***Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Barrie McKay signs 2 year deal ***

Batistuta87

Tommy Brown
6 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

he wasn't on loan at st mirren, he signed permanently. he did move from bolton to st mirren though

You sure?

I remember him coming on as sub, he looked good and never wasted a ball.

Couldnt help think, why was not on earlier or from the start.

Edit

Just read his wiki, hadn't realised he was permanent at StMirren.

Edited by Tommy Brown

• Replies 35.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GinRummy

• BackOfTheNet

• Pasquale for King

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, milky_26 said:

i remember him doing well at a world cup but i could be wrong 

My memory is no what it was Milky lad :lol:

Strange one isnt it, not a signing for them that would strike fear into my heart for them, but yet one I would be delighted with for us

Andrew Gilbert Wauchope
39 minutes ago, One five said:

When are these signing feckin happening ! 

37825F03-A916-447B-9401-CF96C51CFDEA.gif

We're maybe waiting until the end of Euro2020 - or their teams getting knocked out.

11 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

You sure?

I remember him coming on as sub, he looked good and never wasted a ball.

Couldnt help think, why was not on earlier or from the start.

Edit

Just read his wiki, hadn't realised he was permanent at StMirren.

it is one strange career path, bolton>st mirren>aus>man city

Daily record click bait headline "hearts eying signing" but nothing mentioned in actual link.

Are we linked with anyone? 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, Alan_R said:

Daily record click bait headline "hearts eying signing" but nothing mentioned in actual link.

Are we linked with anyone? 

Think that DR thing is permanent, other publications do it too, as you say bait

jamboinglasgow
51 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

The ITK lads were saying at least one deal was 99% done over the weekend. Getting tedious. 

To be fair to poster who said 99%. he said he expected it announced last night or today. 

But is getting a bit frustrating. With the players back at training today, would be good to see some photos up for it, just to give something.

BackOfTheNet

I try not to get frustrated, after all at the end of the day it’s guys on a forum saying signing expected 2 weeks ago, last week and then over the weekend so announcement yesterday or today - not the club promising or saying anything.

As I say, I try not to get frustrated. As many know I fail miserably at that when it comes to the transfer window…

Berra than you

Are we sure the players are back in today? Weird that hearts have released nothing on the socials. I feel like they normally post stuff about first day back.

Nookie Bear

Would be good if the ITKrs could give a bit more info on this 99% signing.

No names required but would love to know the nationality, pedigree etc of the type of player we are in for, even if it ultimately doesn't happen.

35 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

To be fair to poster who said 99%. he said he expected it announced last night or today. 

But is getting a bit frustrating. With the players back at training today, would be good to see some photos up for it, just to give something.

If it’s not announced today I worry that it may not happen, no reason clear to me of why there would be a wait I expected it to be an early morning one today. Can only pass on what I get told. Believe we are in advance talks with 3 ginnelly of course, defender and midfielder. Not had any update since my last post 👍🏻

Batistuta87
39 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Aye true. When you hear something is 99% done at the weekend though you get impatient lol, which is where I am right now! 

kingantti1874
1 minute ago, Jamboj1 said:

If it’s not announced today I worry that it may not happen, no reason clear to me of why there would be a wait I expected it to be an early morning one today. Can only pass on what I get told. Believe we are in advance talks with 3 ginnelly of course, defender and midfielder. Not had any update since my last post 👍🏻

is it someone we will be happy with or will lose shit over 😂

A_A wehatethehibs

The marketing team would influence the timing of an announcement. Maybe waiting for the chatter about Scotland shambles to die down so it gets more attention 

6 minutes ago, Jamboj1 said:

Don't need to tell us scruffs of course, but do you know who they are, yourself?

7 minutes ago, Jamboj1 said:

👍

4 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

The marketing team would influence the timing of an announcement. Maybe waiting for the chatter about Scotland shambles to die down so it gets more attention 

then it would have to be either later today or tomorrow as thursday will be full on build up to the england game

16 minutes ago, Berra than you said:

Are we sure the players are back in today? Weird that hearts have released nothing on the socials. I feel like they normally post stuff about first day back.

First day back is all the medical stuff, weighing etc etc. It's all done behind doors so nothing normally happens - at least over the past few years anyway. Ange is currently in quarantine so who knows who else is all shut up...

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Fixtures this morning, signing this afternoon,  celebrate/whine this evening 

5 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Fixtures this morning, signing this afternoon,  celebrate/whine this evening 

Sounds like a plan 👍

24 minutes ago, Berra than you said:

I thought I'd read that it was Wednesday 16th i.e. tomorrow that training started.

6 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Don't need to tell us scruffs of course, but do you know who they are, yourself?

1 of them I personally think will be a decent deal and to combine 2 questions into 1, we could announce messi and Neymar and some will still complain 😁 

1 minute ago, HoGwash said:

I thought I'd read that it was Wednesday 16th i.e. tomorrow that training started.

Maybe Covid tests today so can start properly tomorrow. Sure Andy Halliday said he was starting back on Tuesday on his twitch

A_A wehatethehibs
2 minutes ago, Jamboj1 said:

1 of them I personally think will be a decent deal and to combine 2 questions into 1, we could announce messi and Neymar and some will still complain 😁 

hmmmm trying to work out if Mulgrew confirmed or not 🤔 

Batistuta87
3 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

hmmmm trying to work out if Mulgrew confirmed or not 🤔 

I think its safe to say that @Jamboj1 knows enough to know that Mulgrew wouldn't be a "decent deal" 😂

Just now, Batistuta87 said:

I think its safe to say that @Jamboj1 knows enough to know that Mulgrew wouldn't be a "decent deal" 😂

If mulgrew signs it will be a popcorn event coming on here 🤣(it’s not him I’ve heard)

A_A wehatethehibs
Just now, Jamboj1 said:

If mulgrew signs it will be a popcorn event coming on here 🤣(it’s not him I’ve heard)

:yas: 

Batistuta87

Hahahah aye you're not wrong there! That's a relief!! 👍

24 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

I get what you’re saying and I’ve been thinking along those lines myself as clearly the job of a marketing team is to gain maximum exposure but unless we sign Ronaldo or Messi will anyone really notice apart from Hearts fans ?

Teams are signing players every day and it gets tiny coverage in the paper , I pay no attention to who Dundee Utd are signing for example.

16 minutes ago, Jamboj1 said:

Well, how do you fit them both in to a system?  Or are you thinking at his age, Messi is a bit part?  It'd raise questions signing both, mate.  Personally hope it's Messi +ANother.  Maybe Campbell or Dunne.

8 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Eek, can't believe I'm about to type this, but I've always quite liked him as a player.  I know age is the issue, and I haven't seen him play for a bit, but I'm just puttin it out there he's always been a decent player imo!

If we were going with him as backup to 2/3 other CHs and he kinda wanted to just be back in Scotland and take a squad type wage, don't see the issue.  Guessing Flatman will go out on loan, Hamilton isn't a CH, so he wouldn't be in anyone's way and we need 4, maybe 5 options at CH.

Not advocating but just think people would be losing their shit over something they needn't!

pharmaceutical01

Its bad for us punters but it is impressive that not a squeak seems to have escaped from the club....maybe signs of a proper grown-up football hierarchy in place

A_A wehatethehibs
7 minutes ago, hmfcdaz01 said:

I get what you’re saying and I’ve been thinking along those lines myself as clearly the job of a marketing team is to gain maximum exposure but unless we sign Ronaldo or Messi will anyone really notice apart from Hearts fans ?

Teams are signing players every day and it gets tiny coverage in the paper , I pay no attention to who Dundee Utd are signing for example.

Marketing is about yes maximising the exposure from a news announcement, but also, channeling that exposure towards things that generate revenue. Eg a new shirt launch or suchlike. A certain time of day could result in more or less shirt sales / ticket sales off the back of the announcement. Or maybe trying to grow the following, the Twitter is at 94k right now, imagine they’ll have an internal goal to get that to 100k 

BackOfTheNet
54 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Would be good if the ITKrs could give a bit more info on this 99% signing.

No names required but would love to know the nationality, pedigree etc of the type of player we are in for, even if it ultimately doesn't happen.

Indeed. All about the level of whelm.

Batistuta87
12 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Eek, can't believe I'm about to type this, but I've always quite liked him as a player.  I know age is the issue, and I haven't seen him play for a bit, but I'm just puttin it out there he's always been a decent player imo!

If we were going with him as backup to 2/3 other CHs and he kinda wanted to just be back in Scotland and take a squad type wage, don't see the issue.  Guessing Flatman will go out on loan, Hamilton isn't a CH, so he wouldn't be in anyone's way and we need 4, maybe 5 options at CH.

Not advocating but just think people would be losing their shit over something they needn't!

Good player in his day aye, but I'd say that was many moons ago lol. He's 35 and we decided against signing 33 year old Shay Logan - who a lot of fans actually quite fancied signing - because he was too old. Signing Mulgrew IMO would be mental. I get that we need backup options and stuff but ageing players have let us down badly in recent years (I.e. Hughes, Berra, Whelan). 

Edited by Batistuta87

4 minutes ago, pharmaceutical01 said:

Its bad for us punters but it is impressive that not a squeak seems to have escaped from the club....maybe signs of a proper grown-up football hierarchy in place

Boring though innit? 😀

BackOfTheNet
47 minutes ago, Jamboj1 said:

Here’s hoping it’s just a case of holding out for this afternoon / early evening for an announcement and not a call off.

Unless it’s O’Donnell.

Cheers again for the info.

1 minute ago, Batistuta87 said:

Good player in his day aye, but I'd say that was many moons ago lol. He's 35 and we decided against signing 33 year old Shay Logan - who a lot of fans actually quite fancied signing - because he was too old. Signing Mulgrew IMO would be mental. 

Aw it definitely would be if it was a 1st 11 signing.  'kin hell, I'm not actually pushing for this - what am I up to here!  Guess just saying I wouldn't lose my shit!! If we go back 3, we maybe need 2 CHs more, a nailed on starter at LCB and cover there too.  If Mulgrew was the cover and our management decided he fitted wage structure, fine, I guess.

If we only sign 3 players all summer and he's one, that'd be an issue.  We sign 5/6, that'd be ok.

6 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Marketing is about yes maximising the exposure from a news announcement, but also, channeling that exposure towards things that generate revenue. Eg a new shirt launch or suchlike. A certain time of day could result in more or less shirt sales / ticket sales off the back of the announcement. Or maybe trying to grow the following, the Twitter is at 94k right now, imagine they’ll have an internal goal to get that to 100k 

Agreed , I think we tend to announce things around 3 o’clock , maybe that time works for us to get more traffic on Twitter etc .

We’ve already missed the boat with the best selling non home kit to announce a signing and from what they’re saying the home/away kits aren’t until later in the month .

I wonder if more players down south are doing what Naismith did and waiting to get that extra months wage? Even an average player on £2500 a week could scoop £10,000 for nothing if they sit tight for a month with a deal lined up .

jamboinglasgow
32 minutes ago, Jamboj1 said:

Thanks very much for that update and clarification. Having listened to an interview with Joe Savage talking about his time at PNE, he talks about how many deals they got close to, all agreed etc and then a bigger club comes in a signs the player. Lets hope this hasn't happened.

Batistuta87
7 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Aw it definitely would be if it was a 1st 11 signing.  'kin hell, I'm not actually pushing for this - what am I up to here!  Guess just saying I wouldn't lose my shit!! If we go back 3, we maybe need 2 CHs more, a nailed on starter at LCB and cover there too.  If Mulgrew was the cover and our management decided he fitted wage structure, fine, I guess.

If we only sign 3 players all summer and he's one, that'd be an issue.  We sign 5/6, that'd be ok.

😂😂😂 You'll be giving it ANNOUNCE MULGREW next 

👍🏻

Edited by Batistuta87

Been trying to think of the last player Hearts signed whom I'd actually heard of - quickly realised it was GMS. There have not been that many in the last few years which is odd given the amount of football on TV and the internet...

The 3 new deals will not be named till after the Euros Kane Grealish and Sterling are a big part of the English team will see scarfs above the heads before the Celtic game

jamboinglasgow
23 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Yeah I think Mulgrew from 3 or 4 seasons ago would be a great signing, and is a much better player than people give him credit. Though would not sign him now.

It will be interesting to see what we do with loans. I make it 12 players who are young players too old for U18s and not established first team players, now Robbie is looking get a few of those as part of the first team (Logan, Smith, Hamilton and McGill (from what I can see)) and with no signs of reserve football returning we would need to get guys out playing reguarly. It can also apply to the U18s as well, you mention Flatman, last game of the season the commentator mentioned Pollok going out on loan.

BackOfTheNet

I have the distinct feeling whenever there is an announcement my level of whelm will be that of an early 80’s hit single by Men at Work.

A_A wehatethehibs
8 minutes ago, TheBigO said:

Fair enough, I rated Mulgrew in his day as well, some really good games for Scotland (tbh could’ve maybe even done a job at LCB yesterday with Tierneys late injury, although no idea how he’s played this season) but let’s be honest you’ll be in a small minority not losing your shit over that one. If Mulgrew signed the seethe would be immense.

We need young players brought into our squad desperately. It’s about finding the next 18-22 year old Berra or Mulgrew. We’ve got plenty of experience with Gordon, Smith, Kingsley, even Souttar and Halkett both have plenty games under their belts. It is not what we want, like for like replacing Berra with Mulgrew on a top top wage! 

Pasquale for King
11 minutes ago, hmfcdaz01 said:

Agreed , I think we tend to announce things around 3 o’clock , maybe that time works for us to get more traffic on Twitter etc .

We’ve already missed the boat with the best selling non home kit to announce a signing and from what they’re saying the home/away kits aren’t until later in the month .

I wonder if more players down south are doing what Naismith did and waiting to get that extra months wage? Even an average player on £2500 a week could scoop £10,000 for nothing if they sit tight for a month with a deal lined up .

If said player was earning that amount with us he’s not gaining anything, in fact he looks lazy and is missing out on pre season with a new club. Naismith was due well over £100k so that was quite understandable. 
Still no word on him playing on or retiring. 

• Kalamazoo Jambo changed the title to ***Summer 2021 Transfer Window - Barrie McKay signs 2 year deal ***