Trophy presentation - lifted ( merged )

August Landmesser

Leave it on the stand?  

653 members have voted

1. 1. After accepting their medals, should the team leave the trophy on the stand?

• Yes
    • No
    • St Johnstone

I'm as angry as any Hearts fan about how last season ended prematurely, and all that followed. For most, the motive was self-preservation, without regard for what was best for any other team.

I also haven't forgotten how poorly we played last season and that, when the music stopped, we were bottom of the league.

Meanwhile, the virus has rampaged throughout the world, and we are far from free of its hold. Football is a side-show.

The players and management had one target for this season, automatic promotion, and achieved it with a bit to spare. They are entitled to feel pleased with themselves. 

I don't know how much celebrating they'll be doing, but I certainly don't expect them to leave the trophy on the stand or mount some kind of protest on the fans' behalf.

• Replies 819
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• davemclaren

• Bazzas right boot

• NANOJAMBO

• sadj

Personally, I'm still bitter at the whole episode which left us relegated, the court case and our manager being binned and for that reason, I hope the players go nowhere near it and send a message to Doncaster to shove his diddy wee trophy clean up his hoop!

2 hours ago, 4marsbars said:

I'm as angry as any Hearts fan about how last season ended prematurely, and all that followed. For most, the motive was self-preservation, without regard for what was best for any other team.

I also haven't forgotten how poorly we played last season and that, when the music stopped, we were bottom of the league.

Meanwhile, the virus has rampaged throughout the world, and we are far from free of its hold. Football is a side-show.

The players and management had one target for this season, automatic promotion, and achieved it with a bit to spare. They are entitled to feel pleased with themselves. 

I don't know how much celebrating they'll be doing, but I certainly don't expect them to leave the trophy on the stand or mount some kind of protest on the fans' behalf.

I think that ties in quite well with the disconnect between the club and some fans.

King Of The Cat Cafe

How about asking James Anderson to present a trophy or two in recognition of what he has done for Scottish football?

(Although he might not want the limelight.)

Seymour M Hersh
19 hours ago, colinmaroon said:

I'm an expert in Hebrew and New Testament Greek. Methodical and almost mathematical.

Jono is an expert in hyperbolic Jamboese, with a touch of chaos.

We are united in our love for Hearts and disdain of all lickspittles like Donkey.

8 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

Summed up pretty well, Colin.

You mean  Dr Jeckyll and Mr Hyde schurley. :lol:

The Treasurer
10 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

FTFY

The players had absolutely **** all to do with the vote or the SFA and are under no obligation to listen to a few hundred fans who’ve been manipulated into tapping a button on their phone’s screen. 

A more appropriate action the club should be doing is blocking Neil Doncaster from attending Tynecastle as he is not welcome to set foot at Tynecastle ever again in his life, and instead have someone like Jim Jeffries or John Robertson present the trophy to our players. It’s a tin pot trophy but end of the day, there’s been worse days for the club, it’s a day where the players are entitled to take pride in an achievement however minor it is in terms of the stature of club. For players it’s different, as players, they’ve done the job asked of them and got us up so I for one feel fans just need to move on and let the players have a photo with their children with their medal and the trophy. Then we as a club just move swiftly on.

The players should of course pick up their medals, they have earned them. However holding up a trophy in an empty stadium is hardly what they have dreamt about. By leaving it on the stand, they would not only send a message to the spfl, but, more importantly, it would help to start mending bridges with the fans 

I'd imagine any media photographers will be urging the 'Hold it up just a wee bit higher, Naisy', 'Right lads - big smile...maybe a cheer...' all that sort of pish instead of recognising that there could be a story behind how they players DO treat the ceremony. Speculative, of course...

Francis Albert

The trophy handover would be a good opportunity to announce the long overdue date of transfer of ownership to FOH

I get the circumstances surrounding the idea and I did initially vote yes but I'm changing my vote to no after thinking about it longer.

I put myself in the shoes of the players in the hearts team who have never won a trophy before. The young guys like Irving who have worked hard to get into the team and achieve their dream of lifting a trophy wearing maroon. 

Regardless of anything that is going on at the club I can't agree to anything that takes away from these guys enjoying their first trophy or simply enjoying their day of lifting a league trophy with Hearts.

We have no right to demand that be taken away from them.

7 minutes ago, Bauld said:

I get the circumstances surrounding the idea and I did initially vote yes but I'm changing my vote to no after thinking about it longer.

I put myself in the shoes of the players in the hearts team who have never won a trophy before. The young guys like Irving who have worked hard to get into the team and achieve their dream of lifting a trophy wearing maroon. 

Regardless of anything that is going on at the club I can't agree to anything that takes away from these guys enjoying their first trophy or simply enjoying their day of lifting a league trophy with Hearts.

But this is a second tier trophy from a shortened season with no fans to celebrate (not that we would be given the expulsion circumstances!). 

What other younger guys other than Irving and Henderson though?

The players can celebrate their achievement but I hope the ones here last season are still bitter about what all went on. I know Souttar is at least. 

Would be better if they say yes we accept the trophy when they give the medals and the rats who hand over the trophy from SPFL are waiting all the players and staff just walk off the pitch

100% for the players going to receive their medals but would prefer they didn’t lift the trophy. 
Perversely, one of my gripes of the Budge era is that we don’t place enough emphasis on actually winning things so it’s a bit of a contradiction now discouraging players not to celebrate a win. 

Budge should tell Doncaster he's not welcome & don't bother sending the trophy as we won't be parading it/accepting it. He should expect no less from a club that went to court to fight that injustice.  There's nothing churlish about refusing to accept a "prize" you fought tooth & nail to avoid competing for in the first place - and at great financial cost.  This shitty championship has cost the club millions. 

On 19/04/2021 at 13:00, Pans Jambo said:

Personally, I'm still bitter at the whole episode which left us relegated, the court case and our manager being binned and for that reason, I hope the players go nowhere near it and send a message to Doncaster to shove his diddy wee trophy clean up his hoop!

This is where I am at.

I fear the club will not act though. The way things are going Doncaster will be asked to join the team photo.

David Black
13 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

The trophy handover would be a good opportunity to announce the long overdue date of transfer of ownership to FOH

That's wishful thinking, in fact it's all gone very quiet regarding this. This is where FoH fail due to a lack of any updates. 

If we decline the trophy and walk of leaving it on the stand I wouldn't be surprised if they come out and give us a points deductions for next season.

I wouldn't put anything past them. 

cyprusjambo
1 minute ago, Stu_HMFC said:

If we decline the trophy and walk of leaving it on the stand I wouldn't be surprised if they come out and give us a points deductions for next season.

I wouldn't put anything past them. 

That was my immediate thought but 100% something needs done as a protest. Its been a miserable campaign all round even though we won the league we should never have been in. Massive loss of income too. 

3 minutes ago, cyprusjambo said:

That was my immediate thought but 100% something needs done as a protest. Its been a miserable campaign all round even though we won the league we should never have been in. Massive loss of income too. 

Congratulation on winning the championship you were demoted too . You're not lifting the trophy and embarrass us ?  you's can start -25pts next season .

Like I said I wouldn't rule them out doing that they make the rules up as they go along and no one would ever imagined a season getting suspended and a team getting demoted with 8 games to go and enough games left to survive. 

Like you said something has to be done. Budge should just get in contact with them this week and tell them not to bother bringing the trophy to Edinburgh because we won't be lifting it or keeping it until next season. I don't even think Doncaster will show face at Tynecastle on Saturday. 

7 hours ago, Bauld said:

100% They deserve to enjoy winning a trophy for the club - Some bitter folk on here!!

Get the T-shirts done "medicine taken" with them holding the trophy and.......

If you really wanted to get up there nose each player could have a different slogan

From Dodgy Reffing to tinpot governance you could have a field day 

ps Im not expecting us to be this petty !!

2 hours ago, NANOJAMBO said:

Budge should tell Doncaster he's not welcome & don't bother sending the trophy as we won't be parading it/accepting it. He should expect no less from a club that went to court to fight that injustice.  There's nothing churlish about refusing to accept a "prize" you fought tooth & nail to avoid competing for in the first place - and at great financial cost.  This shitty championship has cost the club millions. 

Dont agree, we shouldnt publicise anything let alone tell dungcaster what we plan on doing. Let him bring it through and let the players get their medals then walk off and leave the pr1ck standing alone on the pitch with the trophy.

David Black
1 hour ago, Tiger said:

Dont agree, we shouldnt publicise anything let alone tell dungcaster what we plan on doing. Let him bring it through and let the players get their medals then walk off and leave the pr1ck standing alone on the pitch with the trophy.

Spot on.

bean counter

By refusing the trophy the SPFL might try and bring a charge of bringing the game into disrepute

I like the idea of T shirts with slogans on them

On 20/04/2021 at 04:55, The Treasurer said:

The players should of course pick up their medals, they have earned them. However holding up a trophy in an empty stadium is hardly what they have dreamt about. By leaving it on the stand, they would not only send a message to the spfl, but, more importantly, it would help to start mending bridges with the fans 

agree with the medals for the players, and then leaving the trophy wherever it is ! 

That’s going to need to be some size of bridge , I would recommend reinforcing it as well 

6 hours ago, Tiger said:

I like your thinking 👍

4 hours ago, JDHMFC said:

Robbie can pick up the trophy and take it to **** home with him.

Just don't come back.

Exactly.  And he can drop off a certain lady on the way.

credit card

What's churlish about leaving it on the stand? The powers that be did everything they could to "get us"

Missing emails, vote scandal, stop Hearts training, have to play a semi after only a handful of games, reduce league to only 27 games. Oh aye and Brechin can stay up and how about again this year...

A solid, ramming it right up them is needed. Let the players take their medals but leave that shiny thing where it is or topple it over even.

Stendelnator

They’ll lift it and prove once again that they only care about themselves and not the feelings of the people who pay their wages. 

Whitburn Hearts

They should take their medals , accept the cup , do not raise it but hold it down by their side and walk off the pitch , no tick a tape or photos. That way the club can't be sanctioned for leaving the trophy on a table . Shown no happiness or emotion for winning it. 

12 minutes ago, Whitburn Hearts said:

They should take their medals , accept the cup , do not raise it but hold it down by their side and walk off the pitch , no tick a tape or photos. That way the club can't be sanctioned for leaving the trophy on a table . Shown no happiness or emotion for winning it. 

Yeah that sounds like a reasonable scenario, I would hope they do not acknowledge Doncaster at all 

No matter what Rob or the players plan to do with the trophy they will no doubt make an arse of it.

Nookie Bear
26 minutes ago, Whitburn Hearts said:

Love the fact that a club could be sanctioned for not lifting a trophy properly and yet escape sanctions for years of blatant sectarianism :lol:

The Treasurer
1 hour ago, Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine said:

Totally reasonable enough IMO. Players earned it so they decide. 

I'm glad they are at least having a discussion about it. 

I understand Halkett's point about it maybe the only chance for some to lift a trophy, but, as I've said before, lifting a trophy in front of an empty stadium is hardly what they've dreamt of.

Reading between the lines I have a feeling that they may not just walk past the trophy but they will make some sort of gesture.

Skivingatwork

Fully expect the players to treat  the presentation ceremony in the same manner as they’ve approached games all season.

Pass the trophy sideways amongst the defenders for 5 minutes with no one else looking to get a touch. Someone then launches it 60 yards into open space and they walk off nonchalantly.

Japan Jambo
On 12/04/2021 at 17:04, John Findlay said:

We behave with dignity. Collect the medals and trophy, say thank you and head back in doors. 

We show everyone what proper class is.

The hooligan in me was looking for the ram it up Doncasters arse option - your answer is however the correct one. I do draw the line at commemorative t-shirts in the club shop though...

davemclaren
9 minutes ago, The Treasurer said:

I'm glad they are at least having a discussion about it. 

I understand Halkett's point about it maybe the only chance for some to lift a trophy, but, as I've said before, lifting a trophy in front of an empty stadium is hardly what they've dreamt of.

Reading between the lines I have a feeling that they may not just walk past the trophy but they will make some sort of gesture.

What sort of gesture, one finger or two? 😀🖕✌️

davemclaren
On 20/04/2021 at 00:05, Francis Albert said:

By the players as a chorus with harmonies?

22games nro
23 minutes ago, Skivingatwork said:

Fully expect the players to treat  the presentation ceremony in the same manner as they’ve approached games all season.

Pass the trophy sideways amongst the defenders for 5 minutes with no one else looking to get a touch. Someone then launches it 60 yards into open space and they walk off nonchalantly.

Made me laugh 👍

"I think its about being respectful of other teams in the league who have been fighting for the Championship all season,"

Nah **** them, the shenanigans of the vote in summer won't be forgotten.

Lift the trophy for another reason, maybe, but not to show respect to teams in the league (apart ICT). No way!

48 minutes ago, Skivingatwork said:

😂

Guess The Crowd
1 hour ago, Skivingatwork said:

😁👍🏼

The Treasurer
1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

What sort of gesture, one finger or two? 😀🖕✌️

Quite like the idea of a few well chosen slogans on the usual winners t-shirts

58 minutes ago, AHS51 said:

"I think its about being respectful of other teams in the league who have been fighting for the Championship all season,"

Nah **** them, the shenanigans of the vote in summer won't be forgotten.

Lift the trophy for another reason, maybe, but not to show respect to teams in the league (apart ICT). No way!

They can ram any respect for other teams.

Why are we so soft?

• davemclaren changed the title to Trophy presentation - lifted ( merged )