Scottish Parliament Elections tactical voting guide

Nucky Thompson

16 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Just a helpful hint that you also have to pop the envelope in the post.

You can also take your postal ballot to a voting station on the day.

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• i8hibsh

• Space Mackerel

• Ainsley Harriott

• Konrad von Carstein

2 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

You can also take your postal ballot to a voting station on the day.

Seriously, I had no idea I could do that. Nice. Thanks for the heads-up. :thumb:

dobmisterdobster
14 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

The idea that we are giving a voting opportunity to people who are perhaps not even eligible to vote in their own countries is ridiculous.

The voter franchise for Holyrood is wider because it's technically a regional legislature not a national one.

Jeffros Furios
1 hour ago, Governor Tarkin said:

Why should it. His views aren't so controversial in many parts of the world, and it's not as if he's advocating genocide or such like. 

Much better to get this stuff out in the open and let it be discredited, like Gizmo and pablo have managed without breaking their stride. 

Its ok for SS52 to hate Jews though .

Jeffros Furios
33 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

The idea that we are giving a voting opportunity to people who are perhaps not even eligible to vote in their own countries is ridiculous.

They do need to apply some sensible criteria , like a weegie only gets half a vote and a Fifer gets nowt .

Governor Tarkin
6 minutes ago, Jeffros Furios said:

Its ok for SS52 to hate Jews though .

3 minutes ago, Jeffros Furios said:

They do need to apply some sensible criteria , like a weegie only gets half a vote and a Fifer gets nowt .

With posting like this, Jeffros, you should be running for election. 👍

manaliveits105
3 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

My postal ballot just arrived by post.  Jezz there are a wide variety of parties / groups in Scotland it seems. Anyway ive ticked the boxes sealed the envelope and thats it

Only one party has a name on the list ballot 

Vote Nicola Sturgeon for first minister 

One person party 

3 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

One person party 

Have to hand it to her, not doing too bad a job on her tod then :P

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, redjambo said:

Just a helpful hint that you also have to pop the envelope in the post.

LOL  thats actually no far off the mark Red.. You got a camera in my house???...I did all the above...then promptly left the house without said envelope... 

images.jpeg

Edited by JamesM48

SNP are a one person party?

Scottish Tory leader is such a non-entity that they had to dust off Rooth the Mooth again just to have some sort of recognisable face to front them.

Scottish Labour are complete no-marks. Even their Leader is a washed up Blairite with no new ideas.

32 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

LOL  thats actually no far off the mark Red.. You got a camera in my house???...I did all the above...then promptly left the house without said envelope... 

images.jpeg

:biggrin2: No, I used the information from the tracking chip that you so kindly had implanted recently.

I'm sure the SNP will be glad for your vote. :wink:

2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

What did she say? Missed it again. 

Sorry mate, only just noticed your question. I'm not going back to check or quote exactly, so feel free to tell me I've got it wrong. 

She talked about the danger of Scots visiting England and bringing covid back with them. Scotland has a worse case per population rate than England  in some cases,  so the risk exists both ways. By her reckoning it's safer for someone from the borders travelling to Wick, than it is to Carlisle or Berwick. She was implying that the risk of Covid infection for Scotland is greater in England than it in the hotspots of Clackmannanshire etc. She differentiates between England and Scotland at every opportunity to curry favour with the likes of yourself to stay in power.

She's a dangerous populist leader, failing on the metrics in the devolved areas of Scottish administration, kept in power by a weak opposition and half the voters who don't care about the performance of the Scottish government when deciding on who to vote for. We're all losing.

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, redjambo said:

:biggrin2: No, I used the information from the tracking chip that you so kindly had implanted recently.

I'm sure the SNP will be glad for your vote. :wink:

:) i have felt very strange since Tuesday . You may be right 

Just now, JamesM48 said:

:) i have felt very strange since Tuesday . You may be right 

Voting under the influence. :)

manaliveits105
38 minutes ago, pablo said:

Sorry mate, only just noticed your question. I'm not going back to check or quote exactly, so feel free to tell me I've got it wrong. 

She talked about the danger of Scots visiting England and bringing covid back with them. Scotland has a worse case per population rate than England  in some cases,  so the risk exists both ways. By her reckoning it's safer for someone from the borders travelling to Wick, than it is to Carlisle or Berwick. She was implying that the risk of Covid infection for Scotland is greater in England than it in the hotspots of Clackmannanshire etc. She differentiates between England and Scotland at every opportunity to curry favour with the likes of yourself to stay in power.

She's a dangerous populist leader, failing on the metrics in the devolved areas of Scottish administration, kept in power by a weak opposition and half the voters who don't care about the performance of the Scottish government when deciding on who to vote for. We're all losing.

True dat 

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, redjambo said:

Voting under the influence. :)

I’ve done things less bad under the influence 

Ainsley Harriott

I hope Nicoliar remembered to call Boris and thank him for ignoring her request to join the EU vaccination programme last year. Daft wee cow would have been waiting until Christmas for the jab she got today. 

Ainsley Harriott
2 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

One person party 

Not at all narcissistic 

Enzo Chiefo
4 hours ago, pablo said:

I'm heading over the border for a week at the end of May, regardless of advice, instructions or laws emanating from Frau Sturgeon 

So Matt Hancock has shares in companies given government contracts. 

:yadayada: Fecking SNP.

@pabloScotland has 15x less deaths than England which also has the South African and its own English variant running riot. 

14 years of government and set to return a majority and independence for Scotland. Looks not a bad job to me. 👍

Edited by ri Alban

11 hours ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

I hope Nicoliar remembered to call Boris and thank him for ignoring her request to join the EU vaccination programme last year. Daft wee cow would have been waiting until Christmas for the jab she got today. 

She should thank him for not closing the border anaw. We might not have the most deid folk in the world, now. 👍

Aye, before I forget, thank him for his Christmas idea anaw. And she should tell him how she didn't catch covid and nearly die after shaking patients hands, And then shoved 1% up the  Nurses collective arse. 

Oh and ask him how long it'll take to pay back the debt for the test and trace and the other monies handed to his pals. And ask him to ask Cummings how his eyesight is and if he might want to wash and brush his hair one day. And if I text the Chancellor or WhatsApp Hancock, will I get millions in contracts for stuff I know **** all about or because I work for a billionaire who wants the UK population to fund my losses, and then gives me an ex pm a 40 million bonus. 

Or ask him about how he lied about his affair and how he gave her more than a portion of him and the tax payers money. 

Vote C£&tservative. 

Edited by ri Alban

The Saviours of Scotland a matter of weeks from victory.   :jambobanana:

giphy.gif

Enjoy the last days of the UK, Traitors.  Your betrayal will never be forgiven or forgotten. 

Edited by ri Alban

Devolution has been disastrous for Scotland , never mind independence. Just ask the mothers of the drug dead, the beggars, the homeless, those in futureless zero hours contracts or minimum wage jobs. Child poverty, food banks. The SNP have had a long time to do something about our many problems and lead the way in the UK but it would do their cause no good, sacrifice our young and blame Westminster.

doctor jambo

The lack of vision is upsetting. Without borders there is no war.

Or immigration .

Or conflict. Or tax avoidance .

Nationalism breeds trouble.

We need fewer borders and barriers to free movement of workers and trade.

manaliveits105

thank goodness we have this to cover the nats proposed increased spending 

Where does the Magic Money Tree Grow? - The Gower Initiative for Modern  Money Studies

it only has to cover this -

The bullet points are:

• 20% increase in frontline NHS spending – £2.5 billion
  • national care service, backed by £800 million, to be set up with a 25% increase in social care investment
  • NHS staff have already been offered a 4% pay increase
  • National Living Wage for care staff
  • Investment of £1 billion in the attainment gap in schools
  • 3,500 additional teachers and classroom assistants
  • Free school breakfast and lunches for every primary school pupil – all year round
  • a device for every child in Scotland to access online teaching and learning
  • wrap around childcare system supporting working parents – least well off pay nothing
  • Scottish Child Payment already established – now all payments for school age children who receive free school meals and double the payment within five years
  • Economic transformation with £500 million to support new jobs and “resell people for the jobs of the future”
  • Young Person’s Guarantee of college or training
  • national infrastructure mission – £33 billion of investment supporting 45,000 jobs
  • Green transport revolution – a free bike for all school age children who cannot afford them
  • Remove majority of fossil fuel buses by 2023
  • Investment in active travel to increase
  • Scotrail into public ownership – decarbonise the rail network by 2035
  • SNP commit to a Just Transition with a ministerial post created to take charge of this
  • Freeze income tax rates and bands and increase thresholds by a maximum of inflation
  • Independence referendum when the Covid crisis has passed

oh and free travel for under 22s 

Edited by manaliveits105

manaliveits105

and what The Institute of Fiscal Studies think ;

The SNP’s manifesto offers big gains to a number of targeted groups in Scotland - but would involve difficult trade-offs in a tight budgetary environment.

The SNP manifesto contains significant pledges that if delivered would significantly expand service provision for and/or boost the take home income of a number of groups in Scotland. This includes a significant expansion of childcare provision, increases in a number of means-tested benefits and council tax exemptions for all 18–21 year-olds.

On public services, the policies also continue with a trend of making services free for everyone, rather than targeted on those with the lowest incomes through a means-test. The manifesto pledges to add to the list free dental care, as well as free breakfasts and lunches all year round for all primary aged children, and to abolish charges for all social-care services received at home.

On taxes, the short-term changes proposed are modest, but there are hints of bigger changes in the longer-term. Proposed changes to benefits continue the theme of recent years – more for low-income families with children in particular – although if a universal basic income is taken forward in the longer term, that would be a much more radical (and challenging) change (and as recognised in the manifesto, not practical under the Scottish Government’s current powers).

The manifesto does not provide information on how much these various pledges will cost altogether, which is disappointing. But the list of policies included clearly has a significant net cost. Paying for this in the context of what will likely be a tight fiscal environment in the coming parliament would require tricky trade-offs, and potentially either (as yet, unspoken) tax rises, or cuts to at least some other areas of public spending. A stated aim of not increasing income tax – the main tax currently under the Scottish Government’s control – and plans to cut business rates could make this an especially difficult circle to square.

jack D and coke
21 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

Have a look at the birth rates for Scottish/UK born mothers v non Scottish/non UK born mothers.  It is currently something like close to 50/50.  In the next 50 years it will be 20/80 in favour of non Scottish/non UK born mothers.  This to me is past the 'nice' stage of mutli culturalism etc (again, something I fully embrace) this is dilution.  These kids are not being called Sandy, Angus or Elizabeth.  They are being called Pawel and Mohamed.  Infact Mohamed in it's various spellings was the most popular baby boys name in the UK last year.

What do you suggest we do here? Force Scottish women to have more kids? Genuine question here what do you suggest we do? The population is getting older and without immigration Scotland and in fact all western nations are screwed. I think Italy and Spain’s birth rates are even lower than ours. 
What can you honestly do about it? Demographics are changing and there’s nothing we can do about it unfortunately. Western women don’t really want children it seems or not instead of a career etc. 

11 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

What do you suggest we do here? Force Scottish women to have more kids? Genuine question here what do you suggest we do? The population is getting older and without immigration Scotland and in fact all western nations are screwed. I think Italy and Spain’s birth rates are even lower than ours. 
What can you honestly do about it? Demographics are changing and there’s nothing we can do about it unfortunately. Western women don’t really want children it seems or not instead of a career etc. 

I hear this line a lot, usually the pension line gets thrown in too.  Immigrants get old too JD, immigrants require state pensions also.

Net migration costs us big time,  many reports on this vary but I hear ballpark figures of up to 10 billion a year.

I welcome hard working people who will earn a decent wage and contribute.  Sadly, what is happening is the majority of immigrants are low skilled and on low skilled pay.

To break this down, they are having far more kids than us - this can't be ignored.  It costs roughly (again figures vary) £150,000 to educate a child from primary to the end of high school.  How can a low skilled worker justify their crust living here when they have multiple kids.  Throw in the Health care etc - it far outweighs their contributions.  Now, obviously there are many exceptions to this as many non UK citizens earn good money and contribute well but the majority do not.

When people come from cultures where 'family' is everything and more and more of UK citizens are taking different paths (career etc) and we are having less children we are always going to see an inbalance in birth rates.

I just don't buy the whole 'we need them to survive in years to come' line.  

People form the UK leave to live abroad all the time, we do need people in to offset this.  Our problem is we are not being selective enough with who is coming in.

How did we survive before joining the EEC - just fine.  We picked our own fruit and worked in our own shops.

Edited by i8hibsh

A quick google and I got this

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-46180290

My figures are elevated so I am happy to bring down, but they are still high and these figures do not seem to be up to 6th year so say around 90K to educate a child.  

A low skilled immigrant will unlikely contribute 90k in taxes in their working lives.

People may not like reading this as they are scared by the topic but most politicians now are acknowledging that net migration needs to come down.  Well, except the SNP and Greens that is.

Also, and again a controversial topic, due to these 'large households' I want to see some form of poll tax introduced for the council rates.  Why should I pay the same CT when I live alone (minus the single person discount) and my neighbours have a house of 6.  I guess this is probably for another topic.

Spitonastranger

Good to see the gammons etc getting their collective knickers in a twist on this thread now they realise the inevitable. Trying to defend racist policies and the tories :glorious::Shoosh:

3 minutes ago, Spitonastranger said:

Good to see the gammons etc getting their collective knickers in a twist on this thread now they realise the inevitable. Trying to defend racist policies and the tories :glorious::Shoosh:

What are the racist policies?

and I am not down with the kids, what is a "gammon" in this context? 

And who has defended the Tories on here?

Edited by i8hibsh

Spitonastranger
36 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

What are the racist policies?

and I am not down with the kids, what is a "gammon" in this context? 

And who has defended the Tories on here?

Who said I was talking about you, do you have a guilty conscience 

Just now, Spitonastranger said:

Who said I was talking about you, do you have a guilty conscience 

Going by the innacuray of your entire post you were clearly talking about no one. It sounded great though, fire it on facebook for some likes.

Spitonastranger
11 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Going by the innacuray of your entire post you were clearly talking about no one. It sounded great though, fire it on facebook for some likes.

Can you write that in English.

jack D and coke
1 hour ago, i8hibsh said:

I hear this line a lot, usually the pension line gets thrown in too.  Immigrants get old too JD, immigrants require state pensions also.

Net migration costs us big time,  many reports on this vary but I hear ballpark figures of up to 10 billion a year.

I welcome hard working people who will earn a decent wage and contribute.  Sadly, what is happening is the majority of immigrants are low skilled and on low skilled pay.

To break this down, they are having far more kids than us - this can't be ignored.  It costs roughly (again figures vary) £150,000 to educate a child from primary to the end of high school.  How can a low skilled worker justify their crust living here when they have multiple kids.  Throw in the Health care etc - it far outweighs their contributions.  Now, obviously there are many exceptions to this as many non UK citizens earn good money and contribute well but the majority do not.

When people come from cultures where 'family' is everything and more and more of UK citizens are taking different paths (career etc) and we are having less children we are always going to see an inbalance in birth rates.

I just don't buy the whole 'we need them to survive in years to come' line.  

People form the UK leave to live abroad all the time, we do need people in to offset this.  Our problem is we are not being selective enough with who is coming in.

How did we survive before joining the EEC - just fine.  We picked our own fruit and worked in our own shops.

That still doesn’t answer our low birthdate. You need a young workforce to pay taxes to pay for pensions and the Health service etc this is simple economics for a capitalist system. Migrants who come here are generally younger and don’t use medical care etc to the same extent as older people. The grey drain on spain for example was huge as our ex pats were entitled to free health care because we were in the EU. This is now gone. 
Before we joined the common market that’s nearly 50 years ago the birth rates were much higher. I’m not for mass immigration but Britain and especially Scotland does not take in huge numbers. The U.K. as a whole is something like 9th for immigration it’s the right wing press making it feel much worse. 
To add I don’t know the answer other than literally forcing western women to have more children. 

Ron Burgundy
26 minutes ago, Spitonastranger said:

Can you write that in English.

TBF he misspelt one word. I understood it perfectly well and thought it was also funny and bang on the cash.

Spitonastranger
Just now, Ron Burgundy said:

TBF he misspelt one word. I understood it perfectly well and thought it was also funny and bang on the cash.

So who cares what you think

Ron Burgundy
Just now, Spitonastranger said:

So who cares what you think

I imagine the same people that care what you think champ. No one.😙

18 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

That still doesn’t answer our low birthdate. You need a young workforce to pay taxes to pay for pensions and the Health service etc this is simple economics for a capitalist system. Migrants who come here are generally younger and don’t use medical care etc to the same extent as older people. The grey drain on spain for example was huge as our ex pats were entitled to free health care because we were in the EU. This is now gone. 
Before we joined the common market that’s nearly 50 years ago the birth rates were much higher. I’m not for mass immigration but Britain and especially Scotland does not take in huge numbers. The U.K. as a whole is something like 9th for immigration it’s the right wing press making it feel much worse. 
To add I don’t know the answer other than literally forcing western women to have more children. 

The increase in the feminist narrative and female empowerment probably are factors.  Also, increased drug and alcohol abuse decreasing fertility rates, apathy, money, globalisation of the West and just the fact that there is just so much else out there now.  I don’t know though, I guess it is up to the individual to answer.  Me personally, it was never through lack of desire – conceiving a child just comes easier to some than others.

Would you agree that with a reduction in immigration the demand for the services to raise the required taxes to pay for would reduce?

I fully get we will always need immigration and in my 40 plus years I have never once said otherwise (note : I have always been right wing but always appreciated the requirement for immigration).  We are at the very least doing it wrong.  I hope that now we are out the EU we can cast a wider net and not just have influxes from certain countries.  I also hope we bring in the best of the best.

9th is still very high.  That is 9th out of 202 countries.  Immigration seems to be a one way street, in that only certain countries are the destination 'hotspots' (USA, UK, Germany, Canada etc etc).

Although I am very much anti mass migration, my main issue is more the pandering we do to accommodate people.  It should be the other way around - it is their privilege, not ours.

It all at the very least needs an overhaul.

Edited by i8hibsh

Spitonastranger
3 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

I imagine the same people that care what you think champ. No one.😙

You dont know me champ, so dont put me in the same sad boat as you :)

jack D and coke
5 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

The increase in the feminist narrative and female empowerment probably are factors.  Also, increased drug and alcohol abuse decreasing fertility rates, apathy, money, globalisation of the West and just the fact that there is just so much else out there now.  I don’t know though, I guess it is up to the individual to answer.  Me personally, it was never through lack of desire – conceiving a child just comes easier to some than others.

Would you agree that with a reduction in immigration the demand for the services to raise the required taxes to pay for would reduce?

I fully get we will always need immigration and in my 40 plus years I have never once said otherwise (note : I have always been right wing but always appreciated the requirement for immigration).  We are at the very least doing it wrong.  I hope that now we are out the EU we can cast a wider net and not just have influxes from certain countries.  I also hope we bring in the best of the best.

9th is still very high.  That is 9th out of 202 countries.  Immigration seems to be a one way street, in that only certain countries are the destination 'hotspots' (USA, UK, Germany, Canada etc etc).

Although I am very much anti mass migration, my main issue is more the pandering we do to accommodate people.  It should be the other way around - it is their privilege, not ours.

It all at the very least needs an overhaul.

The bit in bold I honestly don’t know. How do you stop people coming here or coming to any of the western countries? I’ve read plenty pieces saying that most are too poor to come it’s the wealthier ones that make it.

Why not try build these places up so they don’t need to come? Look what we done to the Middle East for example? Completely destabilised the entire region and caused massive refugee crisis and probably brought about brexit. We’ve kind of piled a lot of the problems on ourselves. 

It must be hard in these connected times seeing stuff on social media in the poorer countries seeing places like Europe. Maybe I’d want to come myself and try make a better life. 
It still doesn’t get away from the fact all western women don’t really want children anymore or not more than 2 max and that isn’t enough. Then the older your population you generate no tax. There is no other way imo. 

2 minutes ago, weehammy said:

The inclusion of these slogans on the ballot paper should not be permitted in a properly managed election .

I counted nine of them, including the one above. They’re a form of advertising that makes a supposedly serious democratic process look Mickey Mouse.

If they just called it the Sturgeon Party that would be OK.

Our entire political system rotates around Nicola Sturgeon and she ****ing loves it.  We have such an unhealthy situation and I wlecome Labour, Lib Dems and Tories all strengthening.

I watched an old you tube video on Jim Sillars last night and got me thinking how much better we would be with someone like him running the show.  We are very different, he is a staunch independence man and I am a Unionist but he has a far better understanding of us as a country than Sturgeon and he is not an egomaniac.

Ron Burgundy
10 minutes ago, Spitonastranger said:

You dont know me champ, so dont put me in the same sad boat as you :)

And you don't know me sweet cheeks 😘

3 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

The bit in bold I honestly don’t know. How do you stop people coming here or coming to any of the western countries? I’ve read plenty pieces saying that most are too poor to come it’s the wealthier ones that make it.

Why not try build these places up so they don’t need to come? Look what we done to the Middle East for example? Completely destabilised the entire region and caused massive refugee crisis and probably brought about brexit. We’ve kind of piled a lot of the problems on ourselves. 

It must be hard in these connected times seeing stuff on social media in the poorer countries seeing places like Europe. Maybe I’d want to come myself and try make a better life. 
It still doesn’t get away from the fact all western women don’t really want children anymore or not more than 2 max and that isn’t enough. Then the older your population you generate no tax. There is no other way imo. 

Been a fan of this way for years.  Here is a fantastic short video on it - called the 'gum ball analogy'

We are not helping these poverty stricken countries in any way shape or form by taking in refugees etc.

Women are still having children just not as many required to 'feed the bulging nation'.  Reduce immigration and problem sorted in my opinion.

Governor Tarkin
13 minutes ago, Spitonastranger said:

You dont know me champ, 

I'd wager that Ron is fairly happy with this state of affairs. 

Ron Burgundy
Just now, Governor Tarkin said:

I'd wager that Ron is fairly happy with this state of affairs. 

I'm not unhappy with it tbh.