Top Posters In This Topic

• Cade

• Tazio

• Greedy Jambo

• Mikey1874

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, Tazio said:

They’ve given it to Van Aert. Not a clue how they could make that decision as it must be about a mm at most. 

Didn’t look like that on tv angle but I know the official photo is a different shot 

4 minutes ago, Hesh said:

Didn’t look like that on tv angle but I know the official photo is a different shot 

Even the official shot you saw on someone’s phone wasn’t conclusive. It genuinely must be ridiculously close. 

4 races back to back on Eurosport has been great

Cav winning his 4th stage on the final stage of the tour of Turkey. :sweeet:

23 minutes ago, Cade said:

4 races back to back on Eurosport has been great

Cav winning his 4th stage on the final stage of the tour of Turkey. :sweeet:

Aye, he’s looking good 

To be honest I thought Cav was finished at Elite level.

I know the tour of Turkey isn't exactly a top rank field but 4 stage wins in just over a week is still a good result.

Maybe he can finally go for another few TDF stage wins and tie or beat Merckx's record.

Anna van der Breggen wins Flèche-Wallone for the 7th year in a row. Same tactic as ever by killing it on the final climb despite having the best riders in the world in the group. Now for the men’s race. 

Edited by Tazio

I’ve just had a phone call from my work to give me the date for the end of my furlough and back into the workplace. The same sodding week the Giro starts. 

21 minutes ago, Cade said:

Some great descending on show today.

Good finish to the stage.

Fast descents through wooded areas are always sketchy to watch. 

I did like how they had marshalls on most of the hairpins on the final descent warning riders to slow.

Didn't do Dan Martin much good, but.

5 minutes ago, Cade said:

I did like how they had marshalls on most of the hairpins on the final descent warning riders to slow.

Didn't do Dan Martin much good, but.

That was a bit baffling. Fair enough unclip one foot if you’re just slowing down normally but if I was heading onto non tarmac the first thing I’d do would be unclip both feet. And I’ve never once fallen over on my road bike due to not getting unclipped in time. Mountain bike less so sadly. 

2 minutes ago, Cade said:

It looked like he couldn't unclip his right foot, which is concerning from a safety point of view!

I think he was just panicking as he’d fallen. I’m think they use Shimano pedals and they’re pretty bombproof. As they should be at about £200 a pair. He may have opted to tighten the release tension up pretty tight as it was a big climbing stage and that makes a difference if you end up lying on your side. It’s only about 15° of turning your heel to release. 

Greedy Jambo

There's a few pro cyclists that have a habit of falling off. 

I'm surprised Cavendish stayed on his bike long enough to get those wins the other day. 

Liege Bastogne Liege on now. Disappointed coverage wasn’t on earlier as the route down went through the parts of the Ardenne we normally holiday in 

1 hour ago, Hesh said:

Liege Bastogne Liege on now. Disappointed coverage wasn’t on earlier as the route down went through the parts of the Ardenne we normally holiday in 

Women's race was on earlier, and the timings mean they overlap.

22 minutes ago, Cade said:

Women's race was on earlier, and the timings mean they overlap.

Fair point, it’s a nice bit of the world, largely undiscovered by ‘brits’

Greedy Jambo

Exciting finish. 

Commentator underestimating Pogacar's sprint then back tracking to say it just depends what they've got left in their legs. 

Tour Of Romandy starting today with a 4km TT. Froome just came in 50s down on the fastest time so far. I suspect he is completely finished as a top flight rider, the management at Israel Startup must be kicking themselves for taking the chance on him as team leader as his rumoured salary is massive 

I can't see Froome ever getting back to his old self.

He was too finely tuned an athlete and that crash totally wrecked his body.

As a wee help for watching the races I checked out a few strava rides on my records to help myself quantify the climbs on races in terms of %. 
Victoria Street is 7.6%

Dundas Street is 6%

The Mound is 4.7%

Ardmillan Terrace is 4.8%

Clermiston Road up from Queensferry Road is 5.9%

Makes you appreciate just how insane the climbs are on the recent spring classics with stretches in the high teens. Or the classic climbs in the TdF like Mont Ventoux which averages 7.5% with some 12% sections but is 21km long. 

1 hour ago, Tazio said:

Thus explaining why it’s not on any of my Strava rides 😀

Always good for sledging down though

1 minute ago, Cade said:

Always good for sledging down though

I had a traumatic cycle down it a few years ago. A bee bounced off my face and I was so freaked by that I completely missed my braking point at the bottom and ended up going through the lights and onto Queensferry Road. My arse was twitching like a rabbit’s nose. 

I seem to be the only watcher of the Tour Of Romandy 😀

Absolutely horrible stage just now, rain, fog, snow at the sides of the road, and a long painful climb to the finish. Great stuff. 

Manky, manky day up in the mountains.

They weren't even sure this stage would be run at all.

Makes me shiver just watching it.

2 minutes ago, Cade said:

Hand cramp, maybe?

Snatched it off the handlebar.

I think maybe his hands were just freezing cold and lost the strength in his grip. He wouldn’t have lost as much time but tried to get back on and didn’t think about the fact the bike was still in a high gear so couldn’t get going. He’s had some rotten luck over the years. 

Swahili Jambo

There are some cracking leg breaking climbs in and around Edinburgh.  Libby Brae, Kirk Brae, the climb to the Flotterstone Inn, turn right before the Inn and up to the Soutterain at the top (don't know what it's called but worth it for the views alone).   The Radical Road is a leg breaker as well if you are doing a couple of loops of the Park.  Being a lightweight, I didn't mind the steep ones but the false flats were the ones that killed me!!

5 minutes ago, Swahili Jambo said:

There are some cracking leg breaking climbs in and around Edinburgh.  Libby Brae, Kirk Brae, the climb to the Flotterstone Inn, turn right before the Inn and up to the Soutterain at the top (don't know what it's called but worth it for the views alone).   The Radical Road is a leg breaker as well if you are doing a couple of loops of the Park.  Being a lightweight, I didn't mind the steep ones but the false flats were the ones that killed me!!

I think you mean Queen’s Drive. Radical Road is the unpaved footpath along the top of the crags. And you’re right it’s a sneaky climb, it doesn’t seem that bad at first then you suddenly realise you’re crawling along and out of breath. Edinburgh is good at those nice long flat looking roads that are actually subtle slopes. Leith Walk can be a stinker on a windy day for example. Willowbrae Road as well. 

6 hours ago, Tazio said:

He wouldn’t have lost as much time but tried to get back on and didn’t think about the fact the bike was still in a high gear so couldn’t get going.

Yet another question from Boof...could he have just run like ****, taking the bike with him, or do riders have to be aboard when they cross the finish?

Greedy Jambo
22 minutes ago, Boof said:

Yet another question from Boof...could he have just run like ****, taking the bike with him, or do riders have to be aboard when they cross the finish?

He could have ran like **** with the bike. 

Froome is proof of that lol. 

1 minute ago, Greedy Jambo said:

He could have ran like **** with the bike. 

Froome is proof of that lol. 

You can finish the race on foot as long as you have your bike with you. Technically Froome could have been punished as he didn’t have his bike with him when he ran so hadn’t done the entire stage length with his bike. Though that would have been tricky as I seem to remember the frame on his bike was broken in the crash that led to it. 

Greedy Jambo

Did anyone see the clip of the cyclist riding back down the course while people were finishing the race?

Not sure of the details, some people were saying it was a pro that had already finished and was riding back down to his team bus, others were saying it was a random guy away to buy bread haha. 

Either way, it was pretty unprofessional.

Edited by Greedy Jambo