Is the UK finished?

Norm

8 hours ago, Zlatanable said:

Here are questions as an answer. 

How come each and every anti-UK, pro Scottish Nationalist thread on JKB, tends to not last that long?

Like if The UK is such an unpopular thing, and/or Scottish Independence was as popular as some people make out, how come those threads don't seem to last that long?

So why is the desire for independence, according to polls, growing in Wales and NI?

I didn't post this thread to say **** You England and another pro-Scotland thing. If I wanted to do that, I'd have posted everytime Yes was leading the polls. Up until the last month, I'd never have been off this place.

I posted this thread because for the first time I can remember, you have every single nation showing a huge support for independence, way, way higher than its ever been before across all 3 nations of Sco, Wal, NI.

That, clearly, should give some cause for concern that there is such a huge disconnect between the UK government and the people. 

You may well be right, the UK may well be here for another 300 years. But only a foolish WM government wouldn't see this level of dis-satisfaction with the union among the 3 devolved nations and think "Pfft. Nothing to worry about." 

They need to engage more with these countries and invest heavily in these countries or the UK is ****ed. Sticking your head in the sand and saying "Independence is stupid, they're all stupid" while support is rising, more or less, steadily across the whole of GB&NI is the act of an idiot. It is, in fact, the same kind of shit that got us Brexit and the Yanks Trump. Completely ignoring and labeling the shouts of the dis-affected as nonsense is exactly the kind of shit that WILL result in the break up of the UK. 

Edited by Norm

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maroon Sailor

• Pasquale for King

• Justin Z

• jack D and coke

3 hours ago, Ainsley Harriott said:

Just to update you it appears the remain camp is now leading again. To answer your question no it isn't. I hope you enjoyed the fews months when you thought independence might becoming though

Scotland is very much British 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/mar/07/most-scots-would-back-remaining-in-uk-new-poll-suggests

I just saw that, although the figures haven't been adjusted for voter turnout so not entirely comparable to the previous ones. But it's no doubt the shambles between Salmond and Sturgeon have hurt the Yes vote. 

But again, this doesn't address the growing support in the other countries. There's clearly a sizeable chunk of the UK population who are unhappy at being a member of the UK. It's daft to say otherwise. 

So is this just a small blip? What's the reason for the rise and will it disappear again? What will make it disappear? 

It's perfectly fine to be a fan of the union, clearly the majority of the people in the UK agree. But just as clearly, there is a growing sense of dis-satisfaction, across the whole of the country, that its not working. If something isn't done to appease their gripes, its just going to get worse. 

Maroon Sailor
22 minutes ago, Norm said:

I just saw that, although the figures haven't been adjusted for voter turnout so not entirely comparable to the previous ones. But it's no doubt the shambles between Salmond and Sturgeon have hurt the Yes vote. 

But again, this doesn't address the growing support in the other countries. There's clearly a sizeable chunk of the UK population who are unhappy at being a member of the UK. It's daft to say otherwise. 

So is this just a small blip? What's the reason for the rise and will it disappear again? What will make it disappear? 

It's perfectly fine to be a fan of the union, clearly the majority of the people in the UK agree. But just as clearly, there is a growing sense of dis-satisfaction, across the whole of the country, that its not working. If something isn't done to appease their gripes, its just going to get worse. 

There's one thing being unhappy but another thing to up sticks and go

Edited by Maroon Sailor

Just now, Maroon Sailor said:

There's one thing being unhappy but another thing to leave.

Yet still an increase in support for leave, according to polls, across all 3 devolved nations. It's not a good sign. Something needs to be done to make the UK seem like a good thing to be a part of. Clearly WM aren't doing a good job of that if support for the union is decreasing. So what can they do better? Is it just a case of get the chequebook out and buy their way in to the good books? Or is there something else they can do? 

Maroon Sailor
6 minutes ago, Norm said:

Yet still an increase in support for leave, according to polls, across all 3 devolved nations. It's not a good sign. Something needs to be done to make the UK seem like a good thing to be a part of. Clearly WM aren't doing a good job of that if support for the union is decreasing. So what can they do better? Is it just a case of get the chequebook out and buy their way in to the good books? Or is there something else they can do? 

One thing about life in general is you can't make everyone happy.

A lot of people who have been unhappy living in the UK no longer live in the UK and I'll bet that still wasn't an easy decision to make.

Lots of things to consider not just driven by your mood or feeling at the time.

7 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

One thing about life in general is you can't make everyone happy.

A lot of people who have been unhappy living in the UK no longer live in the UK and I'll bet that still wasn't an easy decision to make.

Lots of things to consider not just driven by your mood or feeling at the time.

zzzzzzz

12 hours ago, Zlatanable said:

what a load of pish you both haver at us all in public.

Do you think you will grow up at some stage?

:robbo: pish havering

Governor Tarkin
On 06/03/2021 at 12:23, AlphonseCapone said:

Just a couple of Saturday morning thoughts thinking about the sectarianism problem in Scotland. 

This comes from the perspective of someone raised Catholic (long an agnostic) but with a grandad in the Orange Lodge who took me to the Christmas and Summer family days out (very fond memories too), so a potentially rare perspective (or maybe not?). 

1. This isn't a rational argument, as no one can own a flag. But growing up in a place like West Lothian, the union flag was very much seen as a Protestant symbol. I only really seen rangers fans with it and those were the same folk signing songs about Catholics and the same laddies calling us "Fenian *******s" passing school (this is in no way a one side are better or worse, folk at my school called them "orange *******s" and would write "IRA" about the place). See point 2 for the schools thing. But, and I appreciate people might not understand it, the union flag, even now, even rationally, is something that makes me slightly uneasy and it's not even a political thing. 

2. Segregated schools are terrible ideas. That won't be popular amongst some people, more so Catholics in my experience but as I detailed above, you have kids under 10 shouting things at each other about "fenian", "orange whatever", "IRA/UVF etc". Kids with no idea what the hell they are on about repeating things they heard from parents with no idea what the hell they are on about. Yes, kids will still have the same parents but integrating and mixing will make the "other" seem less strange and less likely to believe any awful things they hear about them because you have a reference point. All my closest friends growing up were Catholic, why? Because we went to the same school. 

3. The head of state, the top of the pyramid in this country can't be a Catholic or any other religion that isn't Protestant. It might seem like no big deal but what does that say about a country when theoretically you can never reach the top position in your country because of the family you were born into. I get that you need to be born into a very specific family regardless to be head of state here so it's fairly academic but symbolically it does say something about a country. The Queen and royals were also another piece of symbolism for Protestants and rangers fans etc.

So what does this matter about the end of the UK? Probably not a massive amount but for those that don't necessarily understand how some of us don't feel attached to the idea of the UK or Britishness, some of the above hopefully gives an insight into it for some of us, some of the symbolism of Britishness was actually exclusionary. And again, not rationally, maybe not truly, but grow up in that environment and that's how it felt. Some people in this country grow up not feeling attached, and it's nothing to do with England and English people who tend not to give a shit about religion like we do or understand it (hence why they've never understood Ireland properly).

Sectarianism will be one of the biggest social problem for an independent Scotland, even if it has improved in some ways, but independence could cause some issues. I'd like to see segregated schools stopped immediately. And I hope we don't keep the Royals and move to elected head of state. 

Bit of a random post. Apologies. 

Good post.

13 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

The end of the UK is a massively important event. 

(I think the Scottish Nationalists pov of it can treat it way too lightly. Like it is just a casual wee thing.)

If we are all to change the power relationship of the British Isles, to not just each other, but to everyone else currently alive, and the folk yet to be born. This SNP thing is not that. 

If they manage to break the Union and access EU membership on unknown terms it will mean an English customs border and new currency which will mean one set of prices for goods and services in Scotland and another one over the border. You can imagine what that will mean for the Scottish economy. This is aside from how they fund the current deficit and service debt inheritance from UK. An uncompetitive Scotland with 'Sterity' on a scale unknown since the early 80s. Lucky white heather. 

Edited by JackLadd

3 minutes ago, Zlatanable said:

I don't see Scotland breaking from the UK, in my lifetime. (1970ish - 2040ish)

How can it? Scotland is so unprepared for such an existensce.

And the cult of the SNP/The Cult of Nicola Sturgeon  is literally breaking apart in front of our eyes. 

People are waking up they are not to be trusted, some of their soft vote is anyway. Scotland is unprepared. Like it or not we share this island, its culture and language, with England and we need them more than they need us. 

Sturgeon at today's briefing "Due to the actions of the Unionists, I have had to inform uefa that Scotland are not in a position to host any euro matches this summer. Sorry Scotland ,but the Unionist have spoiled it again with their hatred of the country and our people" 

:jambobanana:

Edited by ri Alban

Maroon Sailor
2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Sturgeon at today's briefing "Due to the actions of the Unionists, I have had to inform uefa that Scotland are not in a position to host any euro matches this summer. Sorry Scotland ,but the Unionist have spoiled it again with their hatred of the country and our people" 

:jambobanana:

That would mean taking decisive action and showing true leadership 

Maroon Sailor
16 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

The Royal family are. And with it the UK. 

Yet the US have no Royalty and 50 States united with no apparent desire to lose their star from the flag.

4 minutes ago, Maroon Sailor said:

Yet the US have no Royalty and 50 States united with no apparent desire to lose their star from the flag.

In light of the fact it's literally impossible for states to legally secede from the United States, is there any particular reason you keep bringing my country up? Or are you just flinging shite at the wall again as usual?