Jump to content

Mathematically calculating when we wrap up the league


Restonbabe

Recommended Posts

It won’t come down to goal difference, but, if it did, how embarrassingly bad would that be?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Footballfirst

    33

  • davemclaren

    29

  • Smith's right boot

    24

  • Hagar the Horrible

    21

Just now, Jambo92 said:

 

No I agree, I think we will stumble across the line due to other teams losing rather than us winning.

 

1 minute ago, Jambo92 said:

 

Yep. We may be there already. Style wise, a bit like those long distance walkers entering the stadium on wobbly legs, tripping, dazed and stumbling their way to the finishing line. You look away and just want it to be over for them before some someone else waltzes past. 🤞

Link to post
Share on other sites
Tatlock

Especially if we keep losing and Raith keep scoring they’ve cut into our gd alreadybtonight😳

Link to post
Share on other sites
Gmcjambo
2 minutes ago, Morgan said:

It won’t come down to goal difference, but, if it did, how embarrassingly bad would that be?

 

 

Ah,  but RN would have met his objective for the season,   And delivered success 👍

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, A Shoreditch Heart said:

Like most clubs in Scotland, I believe that Dundee and Raith are playing in some sort of cup competition at the weekend 😞

 

😉ouch...Out so early I'd forgotten that was still a thing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Tatlock said:

Especially if we keep losing and Raith keep scoring they’ve cut into our gd alreadybtonight😳

We don’t ‘keep losing’.  That is, if you’re referring to league games?

 

Brora has skewed the minds of many.

Link to post
Share on other sites
August Landmesser
1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

Dunfermline supporters will likely be as confident as us after conceding 8 in the last two league games. 

It'll be 90 mins of players in clown shoes running into each other, falling over and generally being inept. One or two might somehow manage to set themselves on fire. Someone else will stand in a bucket of paint. Absolute Keystone Cops in store from these bozos.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Thomaso
29 minutes ago, Tatlock said:

Especially if we keep losing and Raith keep scoring they’ve cut into our gd alreadybtonight😳


14 goals ahead of Raith.....5 games to go......

Link to post
Share on other sites
jr ewing
7 minutes ago, Thomaso said:


14 goals ahead of Raith.....5 games to go......

Easily made up at this rate. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Thomaso
2 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

Easily made up at this rate. 


If we lost that goal advantage and a 10 point lead it would go down as the worst ever collapse of our Club!

It would fit perfectly on Neilson’s CV with the Club’s worst ever SC result, and worst ever European result!

Link to post
Share on other sites
jr ewing
9 minutes ago, Thomaso said:


If we lost that goal advantage and a 10 point lead it would go down as the worst ever collapse of our Club!

It would fit perfectly on Neilson’s CV with the Club’s worst ever SC result, and worst ever European result!

Yep 

Link to post
Share on other sites
JackLadd

I reckon Neilson has to lose all five games left to give Raith or Dundee a sniff.  That would be a calamity beyond even his capacity surely.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Saint Jambo
4 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

I reckon Neilson has to lose all five games left to give Raith or Dundee a sniff.  That would be a calamity beyond even his capacity surely.

 

We've not lost back-to-back league games all season. The Brora and QotS games are the only time we've lost back to back games in all competition. Our longest run without a win is 3 games. The fact some people are seriously talking about us finishing the season with 6 league defeates is ridiculous.

 

In their hatred of Neilson, some fans have lost all grip on reality.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KyleLafferty said:

My maths is terrible, can we not win the league on Saturday if we win and raith lose? 

Raith play Livingston in the cup on Saturday, so no. I won't mention last Tuesday night.

Link to post
Share on other sites
georgiehearts66
6 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

 

We've not lost back-to-back league games all season. The Brora and QotS games are the only time we've lost back to back games in all competition. Our longest run without a win is 3 games. The fact some people are seriously talking about us finishing the season with 6 league defeates is ridiculous.

 

In their hatred of Neilson, some fans have lost all grip on reality.

Sadly very true.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
JackLadd
5 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

 

We've not lost back-to-back league games all season. The Brora and QotS games are the only time we've lost back to back games in all competition. Our longest run without a win is 3 games. The fact some people are seriously talking about us finishing the season with 6 league defeates is ridiculous.

 

In their hatred of Neilson, some fans have lost all grip on reality.

 

 

If he doesn't beat DAFC on Saturday it means the Alloa game is a must win as the run in is pretty tough. Morton Away, ICT home, Raith away. Has to beat Alloa. They are fighting for their lives so Neilson has to get it right ffs. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
rudeskaboyuk

As has already been pointed out. Thank christ it is only a 27 games league this season. 

That's what gonna get us over final line without  the bottle really crashing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Saint Jambo

Getting back to when we can mathematically win the league (and away from some people's dark fantasies about Hearts going on a long losing run, while Raith or Dundee go on a long winning run)...

 

Tonight's result pushed the earliest we can win the league back from next Tuesday to a week on Saturday (10 April). Two wins would definitely do it. 4 points would only be good enough to win it against Alloa if Raith dropped points at home to Arbroath and Dundee dropped points away to Ayr or home to Morton.

 

Tuesday 13th April when we don't play but Dundee are away to Dunfemline and Raith are away to Queen of the South now looks a pretty good bet for us to cross the line.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Saint Jambo
10 minutes ago, rudeskaboyuk said:

As has already been pointed out. Thank christ it is only a 27 games league this season. 

That's what gonna get us over final line without  the bottle really crashing. 

 

Only if you think that the last two games are going to suddenly become the long lasting form of both Hearts and one of Raith or Dundee. Over any other recent timeframe neither team has been gaining on us at any great speed. If you take the last 7 games as about the most favourable to Dundee they have still only gained 3 points on us. At that rate they'd need it to be a 45 game season to catch us.

 

Sure if you just focus on the last two games and we continue to average 0.5 points a game and they continue to average 3 points a game and kept that going over the rest of a 36 game season then they'd really run away with the league. It seems a really sound argument and definitely something worth considering for those who take enjoyment in wallowing in how bad we are.

 

Most people seem to agree that just winning the league is not good enough, so not sure why people feel the need to develop these wild scenarios to convince themselves that somehow we are lucky that we are going to win the league. We're not lucky. We are the best team in the league. The other teams really aren't very good. It's ok to accept those facts and still think Neilson isn't doing a good job.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Thomaso
1 hour ago, Saint Jambo said:

 

We've not lost back-to-back league games all season. The Brora and QotS games are the only time we've lost back to back games in all competition. Our longest run without a win is 3 games. The fact some people are seriously talking about us finishing the season with 6 league defeates is ridiculous.

 

In their hatred of Neilson, some fans have lost all grip on reality.


Its not hatred - it’s totally lack of faith in Neilson!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Thomaso
21 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

 

Only if you think that the last two games are going to suddenly become the long lasting form of both Hearts and one of Raith or Dundee. Over any other recent timeframe neither team has been gaining on us at any great speed. If you take the last 7 games as about the most favourable to Dundee they have still only gained 3 points on us. At that rate they'd need it to be a 45 game season to catch us.

 

Sure if you just focus on the last two games and we continue to average 0.5 points a game and they continue to average 3 points a game and kept that going over the rest of a 36 game season then they'd really run away with the league. It seems a really sound argument and definitely something worth considering for those who take enjoyment in wallowing in how bad we are.

 

Most people seem to agree that just winning the league is not good enough, so not sure why people feel the need to develop these wild scenarios to convince themselves that somehow we are lucky that we are going to win the league. We're not lucky. We are the best team in the league. The other teams really aren't very good. It's ok to accept those facts and still think Neilson isn't doing a good job.


Basically we will win the league because we are less shite that the shite teams below us!

Link to post
Share on other sites
gregzy2k7

I previously said that we would win the league with 3 or 4 games left, its looking more and more likely that might even be less than that.

We still need a win imo to secure it and i for one can't see one coming in these last 5 fixtures. Its just depressing following us at the minute, i hope big change is coming in the summer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Saint Jambo said:

 

We've not lost back-to-back league games all season. The Brora and QotS games are the only time we've lost back to back games in all competition. Our longest run without a win is 3 games. The fact some people are seriously talking about us finishing the season with 6 league defeates is ridiculous.

 

In their hatred of Neilson, some fans have lost all grip on reality.

Hatred? Maybe they've just seen us play in those last few games?

It may be ridiculous, but so was talking about Brora beating us.

We've been rotten recently, and looking at the fixtures coming up, anything could happen.

Any team would fancy their chances against us right now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
soonbe110
9 hours ago, Thomaso said:


If we lost that goal advantage and a 10 point lead it would go down as the worst ever collapse of our Club!

It would fit perfectly on Neilson’s CV with the Club’s worst ever SC result, and worst ever European result!

Do you honestly believe there is any chance of that happening?  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine

So if we win at the weekend and Raith lose, this hellscape of a season can be finally be over. Would be great to get the league wrapped up so we can give game time to youngsters who haven't had much of a sniff this season, like Shay Logan, Steven Naismith and GMS.

Link to post
Share on other sites
fast_blood
7 hours ago, Thomaso said:


Basically we will win the league because we are less shite that the shite teams below us!

 

Thats generally how football works mate. Celtic made Rangers life very easy this season. We won the championship last time because we were consistent and the teams below us weren't. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
soonbe110
1 hour ago, Sherbet said:

Raith have arbroath alloa and us at home

 Poss 9 points. Think we def need more points

They only have us and Arbroath at home. Three of their last four away from home. Still to visit Dens and Palmerston. They have only won 4/11 away league games this season so clearly don’t travel well. Would be surprised if pick up as many as 9 prior to playing us 

Link to post
Share on other sites
jonnothejambo

The league is over and any talk of it being otherwise is as shite as we are.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Sherbet
22 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

They only have us and Arbroath at home. Three of their last four away from home. Still to visit Dens and Palmerston. They have only won 4/11 away league games this season so clearly don’t travel well. Would be surprised if pick up as many as 9 prior to playing us 

Sorry  alloa away.  Still too close for comfort

Link to post
Share on other sites

I really hope we win it when we aren't actually playing. We can then get in touch with the team we are due to play next and ask them not to bother with any guard of honour.

Link to post
Share on other sites
kingantti1874
9 hours ago, Saint Jambo said:

 

We've not lost back-to-back league games all season. The Brora and QotS games are the only time we've lost back to back games in all competition. Our longest run without a win is 3 games. The fact some people are seriously talking about us finishing the season with 6 league defeates is ridiculous.

 

In their hatred of Neilson, some fans have lost all grip on reality.


Are you saying it’s all good? , because we’ve not lost back to back games against a junior team and at home to a diddy team that often. 😆

Link to post
Share on other sites
Thomaso
1 hour ago, soonbe110 said:

Do you honestly believe there is any chance of that happening?  


Did you honestly think there was a chance of Hearts losing to a part time Highland league team who hadn’t played for 10 weeks and hardly trained......

Link to post
Share on other sites
Thomaso
58 minutes ago, fast_blood said:

 

Thats generally how football works mate. Celtic made Rangers life very easy this season. We won the championship last time because we were consistent and the teams below us weren't. 


You totally devalue the performance of our team last time we won the championship - we scored a narrow load of goals and some of our football was sensational.

Link to post
Share on other sites
fast_blood
8 minutes ago, Thomaso said:


You totally devalue the performance of our team last time we won the championship - we scored a narrow load of goals and some of our football was sensational.

Nice of you to make that assumption. The fact remains we were consistent and the rest weren't. Our performances against rangers and Hibs (even in the games we won against them) were not good. The lesser teams did not sit in as much as some have done this season either. We did however have players that season that were willing to pass and move, something we have seen very little of this season. 

 

Going back to your original point though, you can only win the games you play in and its up to the other teams to step up and show consistency. Makes you wonder what might have happened last time around if ozturk's effort against hibs went sky high. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Hagar the Horrible

Personally I don’t think any of the 3 team will even match our current points tally.  All 3 teams have to beat QoS who themselves have desires on the play-offs.

 

The case for:

Raith Rovers: their challenge has brought it down to just 10 points, they  are running out of games, and do so they have to win all to catch 10 points. Thus  5 x 2-0 victories and we lose 5 x 2-0 then the goal difference is negated. Therefor they have to win 3 out of 5 on the road, beat QoS, Dundee and us, that is a big ask, and are just as likely to drop point points against relegation battlers Alloa and Arbroath.  My bet they get a max of 8 points from 15…..44 in total.

 

Dundee: They like Raith can still reach a max of 51 points. To do so would have to win 4 from six on the road, and six games is too many to win all, this is where points in the bag is everything.  Dundee have to beat Raith Rovers and Dunfermline thus ruling pretty much their challenge out. QoS and ICT play them with both wishing that play-off place, huge ask.  At best I can see them getting 12 points reaching 45, still not enough. 41 will be their tally.

 

Dunfermline: To even keep the dream alive they have to beat us on Saturday. But let’s keep it real, even they know now they are playing for a play-off place but are currently out of those slots, so their dilemma is they have to beat us, then hope we beat ICT and Raith, to overtake them and stay in the play-offs, and the irony is those 2 wins would hand us the league. So in essence their title challenge is gone after last night’s thumping.  They’re only 8 point off the play-offs at the bottom. But their season has been re-assessed.  My prediction 9 points which will not give them that slot, but crucially they will need to beat Dundee for that.  39 max points.

 

QoS & ICT the battle of the TLA’s both have designs on the play-offs and QoS have to play Raith, the Pars and Dundee, they will take points away, and as such they are our insurance policy. ICT have Dundee to play and by doing us that favour perhaps wining at home against ICT might not be our first priority if the league is over by then.

 

Final League table:

Hearts 53

Raith 44

Dundee 41

QoS 41

ICT 40

Dunfermline 39

Ayr 30

Morton 29

Arbroath 26

Alloa 22

Edited by Hagar the Horrible
Link to post
Share on other sites
Saint Jambo
1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:


Are you saying it’s all good? , because we’ve not lost back to back games against a junior team and at home to a diddy team that often. 😆

 

Well done. You managed to find one of my few posts where I failed to add the caveat for simpletons that you can both believe that things aren't all good and that Neilson should be sacked, while ar the same time recognising that Hearts aren't about to go on a run of 6 defeats in a row while Raith win 7 in a row. Some of us can hold two thoughts in our head at a time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Hagar the Horrible

It is and should be a first, that a manager gets sacked after winning the league, because the manner in which it was done has been so poor.  I Think AB thinks this will all blow over once the league is won, but we have little or no chance against any of those sides

Link to post
Share on other sites
kingantti1874
20 minutes ago, Saint Jambo said:

 

Well done. You managed to find one of my few posts where I failed to add the caveat for simpletons that you can both believe that things aren't all good and that Neilson should be sacked, while ar the same time recognising that Hearts aren't about to go on a run of 6 defeats in a row while Raith win 7 in a row. Some of us can hold two thoughts in our head at a time.


Where did I say we wouldn’t win the league? 

 

Note: when you attempt to insult someone’s intelligence it’s usually a good idea to check grammar and spelling. It can make you look a bit foolish. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Hectormasson
13 hours ago, Tatlock said:

Especially if we keep losing and Raith keep scoring they’ve cut into our gd alreadybtonight😳

I always feel that there's a performance in the hearts teams , no matter how bad they play, but I'm not so sure with this bunch of bottlers,  think neilson will go out and be too cautious again, which could be dangerous, one thing though I do think dunfmline s shite spell will be over now   and Robbie will state this before we play them on Saturday,  'to cover himself in case of another bad result,    

Link to post
Share on other sites
Sherbet
2 hours ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

Personally I don’t think any of the 3 team will even match our current points tally.  All 3 teams have to beat QoS who themselves have desires on the play-offs.

 

The case for:

Raith Rovers: their challenge has brought it down to just 10 points, they  are running out of games, and do so they have to win all to catch 10 points. Thus  5 x 2-0 victories and we lose 5 x 2-0 then the goal difference is negated. Therefor they have to win 3 out of 5 on the road, beat QoS, Dundee and us, that is a big ask, and are just as likely to drop point points against relegation battlers Alloa and Arbroath.  My bet they get a max of 8 points from 15…..44 in total.

 

Dundee: They like Raith can still reach a max of 51 points. To do so would have to win 4 from six on the road, and six games is too many to win all, this is where points in the bag is everything.  Dundee have to beat Raith Rovers and Dunfermline thus ruling pretty much their challenge out. QoS and ICT play them with both wishing that play-off place, huge ask.  At best I can see them getting 12 points reaching 45, still not enough. 41 will be their tally.

 

Dunfermline: To even keep the dream alive they have to beat us on Saturday. But let’s keep it real, even they know now they are playing for a play-off place but are currently out of those slots, so their dilemma is they have to beat us, then hope we beat ICT and Raith, to overtake them and stay in the play-offs, and the irony is those 2 wins would hand us the league. So in essence their title challenge is gone after last night’s thumping.  They’re only 8 point off the play-offs at the bottom. But their season has been re-assessed.  My prediction 9 points which will not give them that slot, but crucially they will need to beat Dundee for that.  39 max points.

 

QoS & ICT the battle of the TLA’s both have designs on the play-offs and QoS have to play Raith, the Pars and Dundee, they will take points away, and as such they are our insurance policy. ICT have Dundee to play and by doing us that favour perhaps wining at home against ICT might not be our first priority if the league is over by then.

 

Final League table:

Hearts 53

Raith 44

Dundee 41

QoS 41

ICT 40

Dunfermline 39

Ayr 30

Morton 29

Arbroath 26

Alloa 22

Hope your assessment is correct  but where are we getting 7 points?

Link to post
Share on other sites
black stump
2 hours ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

It is and should be a first, that a manager gets sacked after winning the league, because the manner in which it was done has been so poor.  I Think AB thinks this will all blow over once the league is won, but we have little or no chance against any of those sides

It would be very strange to sack a league-winning manager and I cant see it happening.

 

 I think he will be given the first third of next season to see how it goes.

 

hope not, but....

Link to post
Share on other sites
TypoonJambo
2 hours ago, Hagar the Horrible said:

It is and should be a first, that a manager gets sacked after winning the league, because the manner in which it was done has been so poor.  I Think AB thinks this will all blow over once the league is won, but we have little or no chance against any of those sides

There's a famous clip of Alex Ferguson rippin the shit out of Aberdeen after they won the cup. He was raging at the manner in which they played. 

That's 180 degrees away from the standard expectations and performance justifications we're getting from our management. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Restonbabe

**** me. 

The doormongering on this thread is embarrassing. 

Yes we lost two league games in a row.  Yes the performances of late have been nothing short of disgraceful. 

 

However in football your only as good as your last performance. All hearts have to do is turn on the style and destroy a team 5-0 and it will be rectified. 

the players and fans need a confidence boost. Only way to do this is turn up and perform. 

 

Is there a crisis at the club at the moment? No I don't think so. The fans deserve better. Some fans have delusions of grandeur. 

 

Fwiw I believe Robbie isn't the man to take us forwards. He was a safe option to get us out of the league at the time. The performances under his stewardship hasn't been good enough for this football club. Robbie more than anyone will know this. 

 

It's another catastrophic lesson for Ann budge in the runnings of a football club (not department) 

 

Time is also up for her also. 

 

Just think...... Surley it can't get any worse. Can it? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Tatlock

I am still mentally scarred from the 1986 final day and unless we win our next game to put pressure on the chasers I fear a total collapse. Of course we might win all our games from now on🥴🥴🥴

Link to post
Share on other sites
jambonian

He needs to go out and attack Dunfermline on Saturday. They showed against Raith last night that they struggle if the opposition is in their face. Raith ran them ragged. I actually thought the Raith players looked very fit. They were still chasing lost causes in injury time even though they were 5-1 up. Someone on the commentary said that they are all pretty young lads that fight for each other ( a dig at Hearts i thought at the time). Anyway, If Neilson hasn't learnt to go all out attack against Dunfermline (IF he even bothered to watch the game) then there's no hope for him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Thomaso
12 minutes ago, jambonian said:

He needs to go out and attack Dunfermline on Saturday. They showed against Raith last night that they struggle if the opposition is in their face. Raith ran them ragged. I actually thought the Raith players looked very fit. They were still chasing lost causes in injury time even though they were 5-1 up. Someone on the commentary said that they are all pretty young lads that fight for each other ( a dig at Hearts i thought at the time). Anyway, If Neilson hasn't learnt to go all out attack against Dunfermline (IF he even bothered to watch the game) then there's no hope for him.


You know Neilson will not go all out attack - it’s just not in his makeup I’m afraid. 😏

Link to post
Share on other sites
jambonian
Just now, Thomaso said:


You know Neilson will not go all out attack - it’s just not in his makeup I’m afraid. 😏

 

Yes, i know he won't. He'll do the usual and pass and pass and pass and pass back and across the defence or goalie.......zzz! 

Dunfermline should be dreading this game. They just got skuddied by Raith, their confidence should be fragile so i expect they'll be cautious at first. They'll be fearful of losing an early goal so if Hearts do go down the tippy-tappy, side-to-side passing route with no attacking flair they'll walk straight into Dunfermline's hands. Their confidence will grow and we'll try to contain and walk away with a point if we can. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Thomaso
1 minute ago, jambonian said:

 

Yes, i know he won't. He'll do the usual and pass and pass and pass and pass back and across the defence or goalie.......zzz! 

Dunfermline should be dreading this game. They just got skuddied by Raith, their confidence should be fragile so i expect they'll be cautious at first. They'll be fearful of losing an early goal so if Hearts do go down the tippy-tappy, side-to-side passing route with no attacking flair they'll walk straight into Dunfermline's hands. Their confidence will grow and we'll try to contain and walk away with a point if we can. 


Agreed - we’ve all read the same old script!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Footballfirst

Limp..... trip....... stumble ...... fall ..........................finishing line➡️........ 🏁 

 

  P Pts Avail Max PPG Pts @ PPG
Hearts 23 47 12 59 2.04 55.17
Raith 22 36 15 51 1.64 44.18
Dundee 21 33 18 51 1.57 42.43
Dunfermline 22 31 15 46 1.41 38.05
ICT 22 30 15 45 1.36 36.82
QOTS 22 30 15 45 1.36 36.82
Ayr 22 26 15 41 1.18 31.91
Morton 22 25 15 40 1.14 30.68
Arbroath 23 25 12 37 1.09 29.35
Alloa 23 18 12 30 0.78 21.13
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...