Robbie eyes January signings

Clerry Jambo

1 hour ago, Boris5115 said:

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out these three individuals. They are all rank rotten and already have some questioning Robbies judgement on bringing in players. I was no fan of Dikamona but I would say he is better that Popescu. As for Frear / Roberts they can be filed under the Leigh Jenkinson/ Kevin Twaddle category. All three should be nowhere near Tynecastle but sadly they will all see out their contracts being the most likely outcome. 

Already someone has picked Halliday instead of Popescu. Frear seems to have done ok at Motherwell but I can’t remember him to be honest. 

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• soonbe110

• GinRummy

• Ethan Hunt

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Plenty good players out there, we just don't go for them. In the summer it's time to actually spend a little bit of cash on transfers rather than looking around Poundland. That's got us where we are these days. At Killie a couple of years ago, a few of their players impressed when they played against us and also watching them against other clubs on tv. We had a problem at left-back, Taylor looked the best left-back in the league. No chance now that he's ended up at Celtic. Power looked decent in their midfield, Brophy scored goals, O'Donnell was excellent for them at right-back, and contributed to some goals himself and Jones was very direct on the left-wing and scored. Now at Rangers so that chance has gone. Greg Stewart was good as well. Kamara looked solid in Dundee's midfield and now he's at Rangers. Docherty looked the part at Hamilton and he also ended up there. You then looked at a few from Motherwell...and it goes on. In the Championship so far this season there's one or two that look very promising. I liked the movement upfront of Duku and that was before he scored that screamer that left an International goalkeeper of Gordon's quality no chance. Dunfermline have a few. McInroy springs to mind, Declan McManus and particularly the central defender Euan Murray stood out. Do we ignore as usual and wait until the likes of Hibs orAberdeen go for them? There will be a few more as the season unfolds. I hope Neilson doesn't do a Levein and blank decent prospects that play against us in favour of injured projects. Speculate to accumulate is the way to go. 

Edited by jambonian

10 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Already someone has picked Halliday instead of Popescu. Frear seems to have done ok at Motherwell but I can’t remember him to be honest. 

Frear had one good season at Motherwell a few years ago so maybe that's the benchmark for Hearts these days. Popescu i don't even remember at St Mirren. Maybe a passing name during a match commentary but he didn't stand out like McGinn did when he was there, just another we lost out on or didn't show any interest in.

15 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Well you were right with your three and @Saughton Jambo had Halliday, which is the one I’m still not sure of.

Interestingly I found this article written by Joel Skedd in July 2016. There are a lot of similarities to what’s happening now.

Moments. Moments effect momentum. Moments alter the future. Moments drastically change the present. Moments blurry the past. Heart of Midlothian have witnessed a lot of moments in the last six months.

In February Chinese money whipped away Osman Sow with a ludicrous offer the club could not refuse for a player whose contract was expiring at the season’s end. On February 7 Hearts were leading 2-0 in the Edinburgh Derby when Alim Ozturk exited with an injury. Paul Hanlon scored an injury time equaliser. An insipid performance in the replay saw Hearts bow out of the cup to their lower league rivals. With a top three place all but secured the defeat had the same effect as a pin piercing a balloon for the remainder of the season.

Only last week Connor Sammon appeared to give the Jam Tarts a crucial away goal only to be harshly ruled offside. Ozturk rattled the woodwork late on. A week later the woodwork was hit twice more and a penalty meekly missed. Moments. Hearts were out of the Europa League to a Maltese side.

I have been among many tense Tynecastle atmospheres dating back to protests against Chris ‘the Pieman’ Robinson; Andy Davis and Saulius Mikoliunas; a leader-less ship at the nadir of the Romanov regime; numerous Celtic and Hibs games. But last night was different. There was an edge. Not only to proceedings on the pitch but to the fans’ attitude.

The crossed free-kick went to one Birkirkara player. A second and a third. The fourth thrashed the ball into the top corner. Hearts 0 Birkirkara 1. Moments.

The edge.

A quick and incisive break after Hearts were caught in midfield. Hearts 0 Birkirkara 2.

The edge was reached and surpassed. Venom and boos rained down from the stand. Walls punched, chairs kicked, fury aimed at Robbie Neilson.

All is not well at Tynecastle.

For many outside the Hearts bubble and for a fair few inside it is quite a statement. It was only three seasons ago that the club was on the precipice, going only one way off the pitch, nowhere on it. The transformation since then has been quite startling and well documented. Fans rallied and backed the club. Allied with the incomparable help of Ann Budge the club took large strides forward on and off the pitch. The whirlwind start to the Championship season with a number of vibrant, dynamic, pacey performances fed into the feel good factor. Everyone was happy, pulling in the right direction.

That is no longer the case. There were murmurings after the defeat to Hibs – Hearts fans take defeats to the Easter Road side as an affront to their existence – then came the nonsensical plane over Tynecastle with the banner ‘No Style, No Bottle’. Not long after, I wrote an article vehemently backing Neilson. I still believe he should be the man to lead us forward but I have my criticisms of him and those above him, but those will come.

First of all, the fans. There is a chasm forming between sets of fans not seen since the days of ‘Vlad Sheep’ (pro-Vladimir Romanov) and ‘Hat Kickers’ (anti-Vladimir Romanov). As an aside, grown men actually coined those phrases. Grown men.

There is a real sense of entitlement from fans as a ‘whole’, bordering on delusion among some. They are a demanding rabble. If the ball is going forward and the team is playing with verve, energy and working their arse off then the backing and noise is second to none. The support can become rabid, in a good way. When the play is tepid, things are not going the team’s way any liveliness is sucked out of the crowd and only players with Diego Simone-esque cojones will thrive.

The fans can not be criticised for being demanding. It is simply an indictment of football fans in general. They want their team to do well. When the team are doing well the fans want better. Always striving for perfection. What the fans should be criticised for is being unreasonable. I heard boos for Tony Watt when he was announced at half time. A mixture of boos and laughter greeted Sammon’s man of the match award. Some of the venom spilling from the stands towards Neilson, Craig Levein and Budge was incomprehensible. It was more than dissatisfaction. It was personal. For those fans, unfortunately, it appears there is no way back. They are set in their ways, their views.

Among some Levein is still tarred with his unimaginative, albeit effective, football during his time as manager – fans point to him having too much of an influence. For others Neilson’s face doesn’t fit and numerous fans charge him with not getting ‘it’. Budge’s apparent cosy relationship with those at Hiberninan Football Club (Club) and sanitising of the Hearts crowd has not gone down well with elements. Understandably she wants the ground to be a welcoming place, which goes against fans’ wishes of it being as intimidating as possible to opposition fans, players and coaching staff (within reason). Despite the success, improvements and progress none of the three are above criticism.

From the turn of the year it was quite clear that Hearts were going to be top three and it wasn’t long before those at the club were mentioning preparation starting for next season. There has been absolutely no sign of anything close to competent preparation with regards to the squad.

The scene from The Simpsons where Sideshow Bob constantly steps on rakes. That was Hearts’ approach to the goalkeeping situation. First of all Neil Alexander is signing a new contract and Jack Hamilton is going out on loan. Alexander has his contract offer revoked and it appears Matt Gilks is the favoured option with Paul Gallacher taking on the role as goalkeeping coach. Gilks signs for Rangers and the fans are fed some bullshit about Hamilton impressing with Scotland and all of a sudden he is going to be number one. Victor Noring is signed to challenge for the number one spot.

Neilson, a pathological liar infront of the media, confirms that Morgaro Gomis and Billy King will be back from their respective loan spells to add to the squad for the season ahead. Meanwhile, Juwon Oshaniwa claims he has interest from Turkey. Neilson says he is going nowhere. Gomis has left, King has been sent on another loan and Oshaniwa is nowhere to be seen.

It is understandable that teams can’t have a fighting fit squad before the season starts with all the necessary players signed up. But the club knew how early the games were coming, yet even from the first-leg of the FC Infonet game something seemed off. There was not one left-footed player in the starting XI. The following three games only confirmed that the current squad is unbalanced, unready and not much better than the two previous squads Neilson has worked with. Admittedly the club’s best transfer work has been once the transfer window has closed. The recruitment strategy was rightly lauded but it is becoming increasingly random – that is how it certainly looks.

While I do not think it is the case that players are being signed above Neilson’s head it has not stopped fans speculating and sneering at Levein’s influence. And those views have fed onto the product on the pitch. Since Sow left for his cash bonanza Hearts have been functional, a word synonymous with Levien.

More concerning are the accusations that Neilson is weak and scared. It is easy to see why such words have been thrown at the team and in particular the performances. You only have to listen to Neilson’s post-match interview in Malta. This was a manager more concerned with what the opposition would inflict on Hearts than the other way around. I saw an array of comments of surprise that Hearts didn’t put the team to bed following on from the first-leg performance. Hearts, as they were at home to Infonet, were insipid with few clear cut chances created. Even last night, the woodwork was hit twice, one from range, but other than the penalty what was required of Birkirkara’s goalkeeper?

“The Hearts team played very simply and we read how they played. They played with long balls. When we scored, we put one more defender on the pitch and they only wanted to play with long balls. We like this. We have players who can answer this, it is very simple,” Birkirkara’s manager Josef Mansueto.

What happened to swashbuckling, inventive, proactive football from Neilson’s first season in charge? There was a plan going forward, there were different angles and avenues of attack. The last word you could use to describe the football was simple. It was exciting. Is it as simple as losing a player like Osman Sow? Or is it a case of coming up against better opposition and urging caution?

It is that last word which provokes fans to suggest Neilson doesn’t get ‘it’. ‘It’ being – pass the sick bucket – the Hearts way. But there is a style that Hearts fans enjoy: pace and power, aggression and pressing, the ball going forward, the ball going into the box. Hearts fans want to see their team suffocate the opposition, especially from the start at Tynecastle. All too often the team have been passive in the way they start games which effects the mood and attitude of the crowd. Indifference builds into frustration.

Saying all of that this is a 36-year-old manager with a young team. He is very different to Hearts managers of the past and has different methods. He tries to take emotion out of big games and decisions. He is level-headed – a far cry from many of his team’s support base. He has delivered the most pleasing style I have had the pleasure of watching, albeit in the Championship. He won a competitive league and finished third in his first season back in the top flight. There is enough coin in the bank, in my opinion, for him to be given ample time to improve on the latest showings.

However, I fear for him. There is a vocal portion of fans who have lost patience and in a little over two weeks Neilson has two of his biggest games as a manager. Celtic at home followed by Aberdeen away.

This is a two-way plea. First of all for fans to get behind the team and the manager, who delivered big moments. We could be on the verge of pushing out a talented manager. But equally there could come a time where the powers-that-be have to make a tough decision. If there is the opportunity to make a change for further, better progression it has to be taken. Akin to Southampton’s unceremoniously appointment of Mauricio Pochettino to replace Nigel Adkins.

Keep your eyes on Gorgie. After two years of progression, improvement and stability all is not quite right. Robbie Neilson is in need of a positive moment.

Written by Joel Sked

41 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Motherwell fan I know was gobsmacked when we signed him. His opinion of Frear was very low. I have no doubt Halliday will come good. As for the others not a hope in hell of getting a good return from any of them. 

42 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Well you were right with your three and @Saughton Jambo had Halliday, which is the one I’m still not sure of.

Interestingly I found this article written by Joel Skedd in July 2016. There are a lot of similarities to what’s happening now.

Moments. Moments effect momentum. Moments alter the future. Moments drastically change the present. Moments blurry the past. Heart of Midlothian have witnessed a lot of moments in the last six months.

In February Chinese money whipped away Osman Sow with a ludicrous offer the club could not refuse for a player whose contract was expiring at the season’s end. On February 7 Hearts were leading 2-0 in the Edinburgh Derby when Alim Ozturk exited with an injury. Paul Hanlon scored an injury time equaliser. An insipid performance in the replay saw Hearts bow out of the cup to their lower league rivals. With a top three place all but secured the defeat had the same effect as a pin piercing a balloon for the remainder of the season.

Only last week Connor Sammon appeared to give the Jam Tarts a crucial away goal only to be harshly ruled offside. Ozturk rattled the woodwork late on. A week later the woodwork was hit twice more and a penalty meekly missed. Moments. Hearts were out of the Europa League to a Maltese side.

I have been among many tense Tynecastle atmospheres dating back to protests against Chris ‘the Pieman’ Robinson; Andy Davis and Saulius Mikoliunas; a leader-less ship at the nadir of the Romanov regime; numerous Celtic and Hibs games. But last night was different. There was an edge. Not only to proceedings on the pitch but to the fans’ attitude.

The crossed free-kick went to one Birkirkara player. A second and a third. The fourth thrashed the ball into the top corner. Hearts 0 Birkirkara 1. Moments.

The edge.

A quick and incisive break after Hearts were caught in midfield. Hearts 0 Birkirkara 2.

The edge was reached and surpassed. Venom and boos rained down from the stand. Walls punched, chairs kicked, fury aimed at Robbie Neilson.

For many outside the Hearts bubble and for a fair few inside it is quite a statement. It was only three seasons ago that the club was on the precipice, going only one way off the pitch, nowhere on it. The transformation since then has been quite startling and well documented. Fans rallied and backed the club. Allied with the incomparable help of Ann Budge the club took large strides forward on and off the pitch. The whirlwind start to the Championship season with a number of vibrant, dynamic, pacey performances fed into the feel good factor. Everyone was happy, pulling in the right direction.

That is no longer the case. There were murmurings after the defeat to Hibs – Hearts fans take defeats to the Easter Road side as an affront to their existence – then came the nonsensical plane over Tynecastle with the banner ‘No Style, No Bottle’. Not long after, I wrote an article vehemently backing Neilson. I still believe he should be the man to lead us forward but I have my criticisms of him and those above him, but those will come.

First of all, the fans. There is a chasm forming between sets of fans not seen since the days of ‘Vlad Sheep’ (pro-Vladimir Romanov) and ‘Hat Kickers’ (anti-Vladimir Romanov). As an aside, grown men actually coined those phrases. Grown men.

There is a real sense of entitlement from fans as a ‘whole’, bordering on delusion among some. They are a demanding rabble. If the ball is going forward and the team is playing with verve, energy and working their arse off then the backing and noise is second to none. The support can become rabid, in a good way. When the play is tepid, things are not going the team’s way any liveliness is sucked out of the crowd and only players with Diego Simone-esque cojones will thrive.

The fans can not be criticised for being demanding. It is simply an indictment of football fans in general. They want their team to do well. When the team are doing well the fans want better. Always striving for perfection. What the fans should be criticised for is being unreasonable. I heard boos for Tony Watt when he was announced at half time. A mixture of boos and laughter greeted Sammon’s man of the match award. Some of the venom spilling from the stands towards Neilson, Craig Levein and Budge was incomprehensible. It was more than dissatisfaction. It was personal. For those fans, unfortunately, it appears there is no way back. They are set in their ways, their views.

Among some Levein is still tarred with his unimaginative, albeit effective, football during his time as manager – fans point to him having too much of an influence. For others Neilson’s face doesn’t fit and numerous fans charge him with not getting ‘it’. Budge’s apparent cosy relationship with those at Hiberninan Football Club (Club) and sanitising of the Hearts crowd has not gone down well with elements. Understandably she wants the ground to be a welcoming place, which goes against fans’ wishes of it being as intimidating as possible to opposition fans, players and coaching staff (within reason). Despite the success, improvements and progress none of the three are above criticism.

From the turn of the year it was quite clear that Hearts were going to be top three and it wasn’t long before those at the club were mentioning preparation starting for next season. There has been absolutely no sign of anything close to competent preparation with regards to the squad.

The scene from The Simpsons where Sideshow Bob constantly steps on rakes. That was Hearts’ approach to the goalkeeping situation. First of all Neil Alexander is signing a new contract and Jack Hamilton is going out on loan. Alexander has his contract offer revoked and it appears Matt Gilks is the favoured option with Paul Gallacher taking on the role as goalkeeping coach. Gilks signs for Rangers and the fans are fed some bullshit about Hamilton impressing with Scotland and all of a sudden he is going to be number one. Victor Noring is signed to challenge for the number one spot.

Neilson, a pathological liar infront of the media, confirms that Morgaro Gomis and Billy King will be back from their respective loan spells to add to the squad for the season ahead. Meanwhile, Juwon Oshaniwa claims he has interest from Turkey. Neilson says he is going nowhere. Gomis has left, King has been sent on another loan and Oshaniwa is nowhere to be seen.

It is understandable that teams can’t have a fighting fit squad before the season starts with all the necessary players signed up. But the club knew how early the games were coming, yet even from the first-leg of the FC Infonet game something seemed off. There was not one left-footed player in the starting XI. The following three games only confirmed that the current squad is unbalanced, unready and not much better than the two previous squads Neilson has worked with. Admittedly the club’s best transfer work has been once the transfer window has closed. The recruitment strategy was rightly lauded but it is becoming increasingly random – that is how it certainly looks.

While I do not think it is the case that players are being signed above Neilson’s head it has not stopped fans speculating and sneering at Levein’s influence. And those views have fed onto the product on the pitch. Since Sow left for his cash bonanza Hearts have been functional, a word synonymous with Levien.

More concerning are the accusations that Neilson is weak and scared. It is easy to see why such words have been thrown at the team and in particular the performances. You only have to listen to Neilson’s post-match interview in Malta. This was a manager more concerned with what the opposition would inflict on Hearts than the other way around. I saw an array of comments of surprise that Hearts didn’t put the team to bed following on from the first-leg performance. Hearts, as they were at home to Infonet, were insipid with few clear cut chances created. Even last night, the woodwork was hit twice, one from range, but other than the penalty what was required of Birkirkara’s goalkeeper?

“The Hearts team played very simply and we read how they played. They played with long balls. When we scored, we put one more defender on the pitch and they only wanted to play with long balls. We like this. We have players who can answer this, it is very simple,” Birkirkara’s manager Josef Mansueto.

What happened to swashbuckling, inventive, proactive football from Neilson’s first season in charge? There was a plan going forward, there were different angles and avenues of attack. The last word you could use to describe the football was simple. It was exciting. Is it as simple as losing a player like Osman Sow? Or is it a case of coming up against better opposition and urging caution?

It is that last word which provokes fans to suggest Neilson doesn’t get ‘it’. ‘It’ being – pass the sick bucket – the Hearts way. But there is a style that Hearts fans enjoy: pace and power, aggression and pressing, the ball going forward, the ball going into the box. Hearts fans want to see their team suffocate the opposition, especially from the start at Tynecastle. All too often the team have been passive in the way they start games which effects the mood and attitude of the crowd. Indifference builds into frustration.

Saying all of that this is a 36-year-old manager with a young team. He is very different to Hearts managers of the past and has different methods. He tries to take emotion out of big games and decisions. He is level-headed – a far cry from many of his team’s support base. He has delivered the most pleasing style I have had the pleasure of watching, albeit in the Championship. He won a competitive league and finished third in his first season back in the top flight. There is enough coin in the bank, in my opinion, for him to be given ample time to improve on the latest showings.

However, I fear for him. There is a vocal portion of fans who have lost patience and in a little over two weeks Neilson has two of his biggest games as a manager. Celtic at home followed by Aberdeen away.

This is a two-way plea. First of all for fans to get behind the team and the manager, who delivered big moments. We could be on the verge of pushing out a talented manager. But equally there could come a time where the powers-that-be have to make a tough decision. If there is the opportunity to make a change for further, better progression it has to be taken. Akin to Southampton’s unceremoniously appointment of Mauricio Pochettino to replace Nigel Adkins.

Keep your eyes on Gorgie. After two years of progression, improvement and stability all is not quite right. Robbie Neilson is in need of a positive moment.

Written by Joel Sked

Wordy but quite interesting. I agree that Neilson is at the point where he needs to get a significant section of the support, who in the main only grudgingly accepted his return, behind him. Playing in a ‘passive’ manner won’t cut it as we expect to play on the front foot in this league.  

3 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Wordy but quite interesting. I agree that Neilson is at the point where he needs to get a significant section of the support, who in the main only grudgingly accepted his return, behind him. Playing in a ‘passive’ manner won’t cut it as we expect to play on the front foot in this league.  

I can’t say I paid any interest to Dundee Utd last year as I was a bit pre-occupied by our own predicament. I have no idea what style of football they played although there did seem a huge reliance on Shankland.  It did strike me as strange that the DU fans didn’t seem that bothered about him leaving, almost as if he’d done the job of getting them up, but they didn’t fancy him in the Premiership. 

He needs to turn performances around pretty quickly or I can see it becoming tough for him, and not just with those who grudgingly accepted his return.

18 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

I interesting article - Sked attacks the fans and then you read the rest of the article & you see what an utter car crash it was back then and it has got worse , year on year. 

I was underwhelmed about his return (I thought it showed a clear lack of direction/ /ambition and reeked of desperation) . I'm still not "anti" but he knows what is expected and he's not delivering - in a Championship which is way poorer than 6 years ago. 

The only thing I'll say about the time of that article is that I remember being at Motherwell (away) and Sow scored a beaut, one of his last games in maroon.  He shone like a diamond in a sea of mediocrity and he's never been replaced. I thought the team that day was as poor as anything  I'd seen in nearly 50 years and yet here we are 4 years later circling the drain of Scottish football. We've got a team littered with "internationals" that struggle past the poorest of opposition and look uncomfortable doing so. 

Fan expectations need to be adjusted because RN isn't going to change his safety first approach, that much is clear.  The next couple of season are going to be grim. 

1 hour ago, jambonian said:

Plenty good players out there, we just don't go for them. In the summer it's time to actually spend a little bit of cash on transfers rather than looking around Poundland. That's got us where we are these days. At Killie a couple of years ago, a few of their players impressed when they played against us and also watching them against other clubs on tv. We had a problem at left-back, Taylor looked the best left-back in the league. No chance now that he's ended up at Celtic. Power looked decent in their midfield, Brophy scored goals, O'Donnell was excellent for them at right-back, and contributed to some goals himself and Jones was very direct on the left-wing and scored. Now at Rangers so that chance has gone. Greg Stewart was good as well. Kamara looked solid in Dundee's midfield and now he's at Rangers. Docherty looked the part at Hamilton and he also ended up there. You then looked at a few from Motherwell...and it goes on. In the Championship so far this season there's one or two that look very promising. I liked the movement upfront of Duku and that was before he scored that screamer that left an International goalkeeper of Gordon's quality no chance. Dunfermline have a few. McInroy springs to mind, Declan McManus and particularly the central defender Euan Murray stood out. Do we ignore as usual and wait until the likes of Hibs orAberdeen go for them? There will be a few more as the season unfolds. I hope Neilson doesn't do a Levein and blank decent prospects that play against us in favour of injured projects. Speculate to accumulate is the way to go. 

We can't sign them all but yes there are one or two out there . Duku impressed me !

A good few examples you have given ended up at the OF ! We are certainly not competing with them . Start of this season we were a championship team . This doesn't help when trying to attract players .

3 minutes ago, john thomas said:

We can't sign them all but yes there are one or two out there . Duku impressed me !

A good few examples you have given ended up at the OF ! We are certainly not competing with them . Start of this season we were a championship team . This doesn't help when trying to attract players .

I know we can't/couldn't sign all of them. It was more a point on who was about at the time that we could've looked at. Players that impressed in games against us. We know we can't offer the wage now that we could've in the Premier, that chance has well gone so we move on. We as a club, need to be quicker off the mark when it comes to signing players. Whether it's down to bad scouting or completely blanking who plays well against us is up for debate but, the players that have ended up at the old firm could've been recruited into Hearts before they got their hands on them. The wage they'll be getting now we wouldn't be able to compete with of course but we would've offered better than what they were getting at the clubs they were at, at the time. It should've been more of an incentive than staying where they were. It may have made all the difference in being dropped into the Championship or staying in the Premier. That's all gone now and we now have to look around for potential elsewhere. There's some good players worth looking at in the Championship. Do we just ignore like before and potentially let certain other clubs (even non-old firm) get in ahead of us? The past has proved that they will if we don't. 

1 hour ago, Ethan Hunt said:

The edge.

Written by Joel Sked

Yes

1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

Also yes. 

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, Newton51 said:

Popescu was a fans favourite at st Mirren. Was there on loan and wanted to keep him but the fee was too much.

Despised in Romania, described by many as the worst player they’ve ever had. 

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, jambonian said:

Good post, it was Stewart that Duku beat but I doubt if Gordon would’ve got it either. 

Edited by Pasquale for King

kingantti1874
7 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Yep he did do well in Scotland though certainly in the eyes of at Irene fans who were gutted when we signed him 

Would have gone back for ozturk myself

2 hours ago, jambonian said:

Frear had one good season at Motherwell a few years ago so maybe that's the benchmark for Hearts these days. Popescu i don't even remember at St Mirren. Maybe a passing name during a match commentary but he didn't stand out like McGinn did when he was there, just another we lost out on or didn't show any interest in.

And going by the number of clubs he has had I would venture to suggest that the same might apply to Euan Murray this season.

17 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

And going by the number of clubs he has had I would venture to suggest that the same might apply to Euan Murray this season.

True but Frear spent most of his career in two spells at Forest Green Rovers, is 30 and a winger. Different to Murray who's (i think) 25/26 and a defender. Played in the Championship for Raith Rovers since early 20s and now Dunfermline. Not saying he'd be the finished article by any means and will probably want to play at a higher level at some point in his career so maybe someone worth keeping an eye on. Frear has already peaked and won't play for a bigger club than us.

43 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Can you point me in he direction of that article(s) please? 

I know RN is hamstrung by wages of guys like Dampur, Boyce and Naismith but going back to his last spell recruitment has been poor overall that’s why I’m reluctant to see him recruit mor players on 2 or 3 year contracts who are barely Championship players never mind SPL players. 

If he is going to recruit, we need to look at loan market.

Once we know where we are, we can then look at recruiting for next season. There are a lot of guys who players who would improve us and will be free agents in summer but while we are still in 2nd tier, we are unlikely to be able to recruit them. 

53 minutes ago, jambonian said:

True but Frear spent most of his career in two spells at Forest Green Rovers, is 30 and a winger. Different to Murray who's (i think) 25/26 and a defender. Played in the Championship for Raith Rovers since early 20s and now Dunfermline. Not saying he'd be the finished article by any means and will probably want to play at a higher level at some point in his career so maybe someone worth keeping an eye on. Frear has already peaked and won't play for a bigger club than us.

Hundreds of players will want to play at a higher level.

We have signed loads of players over the years who had a good game against us but didn't deliver when we signed them.  If they haven't made it by 25/26 with a trail of different clubs to their name, the odds are not in their favour.  I'm certainly not pushing Frear's case but he only has a 1 year contract.  If Murray is a promising as you make out I'd expect him to want a longer contract than that.

BTW I don't see why you are comparing a winger with a central defender.

2 minutes ago, merseyjambo said:

I know RN is hamstrung by wages of guys like Dampur, Boyce and Naismith but going back to his last spell recruitment has been poor overall that’s why I’m reluctant to see him recruit mor players on 2 or 3 year contracts who are barely Championship players never mind SPL players. 

If he is going to recruit, we need to look at loan market.

Once we know where we are, we can then look at recruiting for next season. There are a lot of guys who players who would improve us and will be free agents in summer but while we are still in 2nd tier, we are unlikely to be able to recruit them. 

Well he claims he doesn't have to offload before he signs anyone but I'd agree with the rest of your post. especially the middle paragraph - so long as we don't get dross liike the Man U keeper.

43 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

YES BUT FREAR WON'T. MURRAY HAS TIME ON HIS SIDE.

We have signed loads of players over the years who had a good game against us but didn't deliver when we signed them.

WE'VE ALSO SEEN GOOD PLAYERS PLAY AGAINST US AND THEY'VE CARRIED THAT ON AT ANOTHER CLUB.

If they haven't made it by 25/26 with a trail of different clubs to their name, the odds are not in their favour.

MOST PLAYERS SHOULD BE HITTING THEIR PEAK BY THEN. SOME NEED THAT CHANCE, OTHERS WASTE IT.

I'm certainly not pushing Frear's case but he only has a 1 year contract.

EXCELLENT.

If Murray is a promising as you make out I'd expect him to want a longer contract than that.

PROBABLY, BUT I SAID WORTH KEEPING AN EYE ON, NOT THE BE-ALL-AND-END-ALL/FINISHED ARTICLE.

BTW I don't see why you are comparing a winger with a central defender. FREAR'S NAME WAS A REPLY TO SOMEONE ELSE. YOU BROUGHT UP "The same might apply to Euan Murray" I NEVER COMPARED THEM LIKE FOR LIKE.

22 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Not sure if £150k and over double that in wages is the lower end of the market. 

Fair point.....Roberts now coming on for Wighton in game Lol....might as well play with 10

Pasquale for King
21 minutes ago, Mighty jam said:

Fair point.....Roberts now coming on for Wighton in game Lol....might as well play with 10

Might be better up front, can’t be worse. 

Pasquale for King
2 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Can you point me in he direction of that article(s) please? 

No articles just the words of their supporters who made the effort to come onto our social media, a bit like Hearts fans did with Huddersfield when they signed Perriera. 

1A90AABB-9137-4A6F-AE03-4F0D757CF7A0.jpeg

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

No articles just the words of their supporters who made the effort to come onto our social media, a bit like Hearts fans did with Huddersfield when they signed Perriera. 

1A90AABB-9137-4A6F-AE03-4F0D757CF7A0.jpeg

👍

Guest ToqueJambo
7 hours ago, Ethan Hunt said:

The edge.

Written by Joel Sked

The over-reaction after Birikara, including this article as there's really no need to respond to the pant wetters in the Hearts support in this way, was something else. After that game we only lost 3 in the league (plus our standard LC exit) and were sitting pretty in 2nd when Robbie left. And that was with, as everyone more or less agreed, a pretty limited squad. With a few signings in January we would have been a good bet for Europe again if Robbie hadn't left (something that delighted a crazy amount of Hearts fans).

Edited by ToqueJambo

58 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

The over-reaction after Birikara, including this article as there's really no need to respond to the pant wetters in the Hearts support in this way, was something else. After that game we only lost 3 in the league (plus our standard LC exit) and were sitting pretty in 2nd when Robbie left. And that was with, as everyone more or less agreed, a pretty limited squad. With a few signings in January we would have been a good bet for Europe again if Robbie hadn't left (something that delighted a crazy amount of Hearts fans).

I got to “pant wetters” in your post then read this part of the original article again:

“First of all, the fans. There is a chasm forming between sets of fans not seen since the days of ‘Vlad Sheep’ (pro-Vladimir Romanov) and ‘Hat Kickers’ (anti-Vladimir Romanov). As an aside, grown men actually coined those phrases. Grown men.”

It again reminded me of the similarities of then and now.

Guest ToqueJambo
29 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

I got to “pant wetters” in your post then read this part of the original article again:

“First of all, the fans. There is a chasm forming between sets of fans not seen since the days of ‘Vlad Sheep’ (pro-Vladimir Romanov) and ‘Hat Kickers’ (anti-Vladimir Romanov). As an aside, grown men actually coined those phrases. Grown men.”

It again reminded me of the similarities of then and now.

the point is it was way too early for that kind of analysis, or for any judgement on neilson as he went on to prove.

Edited by ToqueJambo

9 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

the point is it was way too early for that kind of analysis, or for any judgement on neilson as he went on to prove.

Prove where?

vlad on the tyne
9 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Maybe next summer but we would need to pay a fee for them in January and none of those 4 are likely to leave permanently next month.

True mate. I can't imagine their clubs will be too difficult to deal with especially in Stewart's case. Whether he is open to dropping a division for a couple of months is another matter. 

BBC sport website mentioned an article in a newspaper today about a "speed dating" zoom call taking place next week involving 250 clubs ahead of the transfer window - the article only mentioned Rangers & Hibs being on it.      Seemed quite strange, presumably related to covid/travel restrictions.   Could this be a novel approach to putting out  "available" players names into the cattle market early ?     Why only Rangers  & Hibs  from Scotland though ?      Anyone got any info about what this is about ?     Hearts involved ?   

Pasquale for King
34 minutes ago, vlad on the tyne said:

True mate. I can't imagine their clubs will be too difficult to deal with especially in Stewart's case. Whether he is open to dropping a division for a couple of months is another matter. 

He and Brophy would improve us no end, Neilson should be on the phone to them at the bells 😆

Edited by Pasquale for King

Tennant's  6's
30 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

He and Brophy would improve us no end, Neilson should be on the phone to them at the bells 😆

Damn right. 

We've missed out on numerous decent players by just ignoring them and going for crocks/ journeyman instead. 

Stewart & Brophy would be excellent additions to the squad 

8 minutes ago, Tennant's 6's said:

Damn right. 

We've missed out on numerous decent players by just ignoring them and going for crocks/ journeyman instead. 

Stewart & Brophy would be excellent additions to the squad 

👍  Yep.... agree with all that.

On 04/12/2020 at 10:19, Italian Lambretta said:

We should buy that guy murray from Dunfermline its the only way we're getting out this league

So, by signing Guy Murray, from Dunfermline, it’s a guarantee that we will get out of this league?

No pressure on Guy, then.

7 hours ago, JamboAl said:

We have signed loads of players over the years who had a good game against us but didn't deliver when we signed them.  If they haven't made it by 25/26 with a trail of different clubs to their name, the odds are not in their favour.  I'm certainly not pushing Frear's case but he only has a 1 year contract.  If Murray is a promising as you make out I'd expect him to want a longer contract than that.

BTW I don't see why you are comparing a winger with a central defender.

Or guys that no one saw apart from the usual edited highlights. 

StirlingJambo

I’d keep the money for next season. Play Irving in the CAM roll for now. Seems to be the only player that can play a forward pass and split defences open.

Ronald Villiers
21 hours ago, jambonian said:

Totally agree mate, there's a few gems in the Championship like the ones you mentioned.  We should be targeting the smaller teams rather than hesitating and letting Aberdeen and Hibs sign them.  It's the way forward.  We've done pretty well in the past when we signed the likes of McCann, Cameron, Fulton, Weir, Hamilton and Hartley to name a few.   

On 05/12/2020 at 10:45, Newton51 said:

Popescu was a fans favourite at st Mirren. Was there on loan and wanted to keep him but the fee was too much.

Really?