Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• soonbe110

• GinRummy

• Ethan Hunt

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

We are playing in a league full of cash starved clubs with third rate players. I expect people like Naismith, Walker, Boyce and even Lee to help us absolutely dominate games. I still believe these players lack motivation and can’t be bothered. I don’t believe that’s robbie’s fault. His team in 14/15 had a drive and enthusiasm that this side doesn’t have. 

I would agree with that.

Guest ToqueJambo
4 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

We are playing in a league full of cash starved clubs with third rate players. I expect people like Naismith, Walker, Boyce and even Lee to help us absolutely dominate games. I still believe these players lack motivation and can’t be bothered. I don’t believe that’s robbie’s fault. His team in 14/15 had a drive and enthusiasm that this side doesn’t have. 

So who should we sign? Players who have always dreamed of playing in the Scottish Championship? I'm amazed we got the quality of Gordon, Kingsley and Halliday under the circumstances to be honest. I expected everyone to be of the Roberts, Frear, etc pedigree. 

And do you not think not having crowds is perhaps something that affects big game players more than players used to playing in front of one man and their dog. I get very little enjoyment watching games because of no fans. I can't imagine what it's like to play in them.

14/15 was very different for lots of very obvious reasons.

Edited by ToqueJambo

6 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Who should we have signed at this time of extreme uncertainty and economic crisis? All we need to d this season is get promoted. That's it. Then by the time that happens, maybe things will be back to normal.

I agree it was a very difficult window. I’d rather have not signed anyone than signed some of the pish we’ve signed. Tbf my frustration is definitely because of previous pish transfer windows as well as this one. The winter one from stendel, as an example, was appalling.

17 minutes ago, Haringshairband said:

I liked Stendel... But you seem to love the guy, surprised you stopped giving him a handy long enough to type responses on this forum.

Ok 👍

1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

So who should we sign? Players who have always dreamed of playing in the Scottish Championship? I'm amazed we got the quality of Gordon, Kingsley and Halliday under the circumstances to be honest. I expected everyone to be of the Roberts, Frear, etc pedigree. 

And do you not think not having crowds is perhaps something that affects big game players more than players used to playing in front of one man and their dog. 14/15 was very different for lots of very obvious reasons.

I don’t know the names of the players we should sign because they’re probably 17 years old and playing at a low level but have potential and aren’t 30 years old and looking for a decent pay day before they open a pub 

i don’t believe for one second the lack of enthusiasm or drive compared with 2014/15 is down to no crowds.

8 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

And do you not think not having crowds is perhaps something that affects big game players more than players used to playing in front of one man and their dog. I get very little enjoyment watching games because of no fans. I can't imagine what it's like to play in them.

14/15 was very different for lots of very obvious reasons.

Actually unbelievable isn’t it? Sign a few players that every Scottish Premiership club, outside the Old Firm would have taken, folk moaning about recruitment! The club has lost an absolute fortune due to a the combination of relegation and the pandemic. Folk need some kind of perspective. Some really embarrassing stuff being posted.

Just now, Mr Elwood P said:

Actually unbelievable isn’t it? Sign a few players that every Scottish Premiership club, outside the Old Firm would have taken, folk moaning about recruitment! The club has lost an absolute fortune due to a the combination of relegation and the pandemic. Folk need some kind of perspective. Some really embarrassing stuff being posted.

Speaking personally, we have made so many awful signings in recent years that I’d like a change in the policy of signing journeymen players who have never and will never play at a bigger club than hearts. I don’t see why that’s embarrassing. 

Popescu, Frear and Roberts have all been worse than disappointing. A rethink of our signing policy while we are playing at a low level seems entirely reasonable given the piss poor signings we’ve had for years. 

4 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Speaking personally, we have made so many awful signings in recent years that I’d like a change in the policy of signing journeymen players who have never and will never play at a bigger club than hearts. I don’t see why that’s embarrassing. 

Popescu, Frear and Roberts have all been worse than disappointing. A rethink of our signing policy while we are playing at a low level seems entirely reasonable given the piss poor signings we’ve had for years. 

We’ve signed Gordon and Halliday,

they’ve just left Celtic and Rangers respectively. We’ve also signed Kingsley who has played at some big English clubs. We’re clearly on a budget so the other signings are going to be less impressive. The only goal this season is promotion. If we bring a Scottish Cup with us that’s a massive bonus.

Just now, Mr Elwood P said:

We’ve signed Gordon and Halliday,

they’ve just left Celtic and Rangers respectively. We’ve also signed Kingsley who has played at some big English clubs. We’re clearly on a budget so the other signings are going to be less impressive. The only goal this season is promotion. If we bring a Scottish Cup with us that’s a massive bonus.

Agree that the goal is promotion. I think Neilson will achieve that with a bit to spare. We have made some good signings even when Levein was in charge.  There’s something not right about our recruitment and that has been a constant under several managers. 

Not looking to ignore your point and just put mine over, I agree that Gordon and Kingsley looke good and I hope Halliday will be a big asset. I’m not saying every signing is bad, I am saying that far too many have been in recent seasons. 

All this chat about 2014/15 and the players we recruited is a load of BS.

The nucleus of the team had played the season before. The best piece of business was Sow who had been recommended by Neil Alexander as opposed to someone brought in by RN.

We brought in some duffs as well. El Hassnoui and Anderson off the top of my head. 

His recruitment after that was for the most part shocking.

24 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Agree that the goal is promotion. I think Neilson will achieve that with a bit to spare. We have made some good signings even when Levein was in charge.  There’s something not right about our recruitment and that has been a constant under several managers. 

Not looking to ignore your point and just put mine over, I agree that Gordon and Kingsley looke good and I hope Halliday will be a big asset. I’m not saying every signing is bad, I am saying that far too many have been in recent seasons. 

Do you not think that’s maybe just the nature of football recruitment? Rangers have signed 10+ players the last two seasons but still rely on a core group. The majority of their signings are duds. Celtic have spent big money this summer on a keeper

and centre back, they’ve cant buy a clean sheet. Everyone lost their minds when Aberdeen beat us to Bryson. He was a terrible signing and plays for St Johnstone now. If you look at every club in world football the story in the same, with a few exceptions; Liverpool being the obvious current one. 

Guest ToqueJambo
25 minutes ago, merseyjambo said:

The nucleus of the team had played the season before. The best piece of business was Sow who had been recommended by Neil Alexander as opposed to someone brought in by RN.

We brought in some duffs as well. El Hassnoui and Anderson off the top of my head. 

🤣 And who brought that nucleus through the U20s? JJ signed a fair few duffs as well. Every manager does.

The following season, Souttar, Djoum and Rossi were excellent signings. Kitchen, Cowie, Juanma all did jobs. Reilly couldn't make the step up and Dauda, Oshaniwa and Swanson bombed. Despite that we got into Europe, so does that make Neilson an excellent manager who can work with rubbish players or maybe the players weren't that rubbish, or most likely a bit of both?

The following season we didn't recruit well under Neilson. Johnson was a good signing, but Sammon, Watt, Rherras, Nowak and Muirhead were underwhelming. Despite that he knitted them into a team challenging for 2nd when he left. He's proven to be a manager who can knit meh signings into a team that does the business. Still not good enough for some though.

Edited by ToqueJambo

7 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

🤣 And who brought that nucleus through the U20s? JJ signed a fair few duffs as well. Every manager does.

The following season, Souttar, Djoum and Rossi were excellent signings. Kitchen, Cowie, Juanma all did jobs. Reilly couldn't make the step up and Dauda, Oshaniwa and Swanson bombed. Despite that we got into Europe, so does that make Neilson an excellent manager who can work with rubbish players or maybe the players weren't that rubbish, or most likely a bit of both?

The following season we didn't recruit well under Neilson. Johnson was a good signing, but Sammon, Watt, Rherras, Nowak and Muirhead were underwhelming. Despite that he knitted them into a team challenging for 2nd when he left. He's proven to be a manager who can knit meh signings into a team that does the business. Still not good enough for some though.

Certainly underwhelmed so far. 

3 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Do you not think that’s maybe just the nature of football recruitment? Rangers have signed 10+ players the last two seasons but still rely on a core group. The majority of their signings are duds. Celtic have spent big money this summer on a keeper

and centre back, they’ve cant buy a clean sheet. Everyone lost their minds when Aberdeen beat us to Bryson. He was a terrible signing and plays for St Johnstone now. If you look at every club in world football the story in the same, with a few exceptions; Liverpool being the obvious current one. 

Of course. I’m not naive enough to think that every signing will be a success. I said in an earlier post that my opinion of the recent window has been influenced by what I consider to be several poor windows. If we were making signings that showed any level of ambition at all i would be happier. I was worried about our recruitment for a long time before robboe arrived and I’m still worried. I don’t know what other way to put it. There have just been too many failures. Maybe a more consistent approach in style of play will help but something has to change. 

Guest ToqueJambo
4 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

Certainly underwhelmed so far. 

It's certainly shit being top of the league, winning again after a year of losing and being in a cup final after beating Hibs in the semi.

9 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Of course. I’m not naive enough to think that every signing will be a success. I said in an earlier post that my opinion of the recent window has been influenced by what I consider to be several poor windows. If we were making signings that showed any level of ambition at all i would be happier. I was worried about our recruitment for a long time before robboe arrived and I’m still worried. I don’t know what other way to put it. There have just been too many failures. Maybe a more consistent approach in style of play will help but something has to change. 

If you don’t think Gordon and Kingsley represent ambition you’re not going to gain much satisfaction from supporting Hearts.

12 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

It's certainly shit being top of the league, winning again after a year of losing and being in a cup final after beating Hibs in the semi.

Give it another couple of games. 

46 minutes ago, merseyjambo said:

This takes the biscuit :lol: 

we basically had to build a new squad going into that season, Alexander, Ozturk, Eckersley, Buaben, Gomis, Pallardo, Sow, Keatings, Zeefuik all contributed massively to our promotion along with our talented young players. Rangers were paying twice as much as we were that season ffs and we still took it. We went up and signed Djoum, Rossi, Augustyn, Kitchen, Cowie, Juanma and Souttar who all helped us to finish 3rd at the first time of asking. The turnaround in that squad from Locke leaving too the end of the 2016 season was incredible lets not rewrite history here. 

Put it this way if what Robbie achieved was as simple and easy as some claim then why do most of the managers we've had fall well short?

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, BigAlim said:

Put it this way if what Robbie achieved was as simple and easy as some claim then why do most of the managers we've had fall well short?

This. If our recruitment is as shit as people are saying, surely Robbie must be a very good manager to get the title, then 3rd, then challenging for 2nd out of those players. But the same people also seem to be saying Neilson is shit. How do they then explain his record? Was it all Levein? Can't be, because the same people also say Levein was shit. 🤣

Guest ToqueJambo
7 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

Give it another couple of games. 

You're worried about us playing QoS at home? 🤣 The cup final vs Celtic is a free hit. If Neilson manages to beat Celtic in a cup final he'll have done what many other managers have failed at for 4 years or whatever it is.

16 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

If you don’t think Gordon and Kingsley represent ambition you’re not going to gain much satisfaction from supporting Hearts.

Tbf. I didn’t say that. Too many of our signings do not represent ambition though. I freely admitted earlier that not all out signings have turned out badly. My issue is that far too many have. 

16 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Tbf. I didn’t say that. Too many of our signings do not represent ambition though. I freely admitted earlier that not all out signings have turned out badly. My issue is that far too many have. 

My point is that’s just football. For every Ryan Kent, rangers sign a Jones a Barker and a Stewart. Especially given the global pandemic and relegation I think we’ve done exceptionally well in this market. Get promoted with a Scottish Cup and then try and build a team to compete in the top section of the Scottish Premiership. 

2 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Who brought through the Nucleus. Gary Locke actually. Most of the youngsters played in the relegation season. Danny Wilson was also brought in that season. 

You’re answering your own question about how poor the recruitment has been. Over his first 3 seasons more bad than good. His recruitment this season has brought more questions about his ability to recruit. Is he the problem or is it John Murray, 

Do you not get it. We can’t afford to make the mistakes we’ve been been making for the last 3 or 4 years. Bring a player in then pay him off to get rid of him like we did with Oshinawa, Rheras, Sammon etc. We need to get it right especially in this current climate. 

Guest ToqueJambo
4 minutes ago, merseyjambo said:

Who brought through the Nucleus. Gary Locke actually. Most of the youngsters played in the relegation season. Danny Wilson was also brought in that season. 

You’re answering your own question about how poor the recruitment has been. Over his first 3 seasons more bad than good. His recruitment this season has brought more questions about his ability to recruit. Is he the problem or is it John Murray, 

Do you not get it. We can’t afford to make the mistakes we’ve been been making for the last 3 or 4 years. Bring a player in then pay him off to get rid of him like we did with Oshinawa, Rheras, Sammon etc. We need to get it right especially in this current climate. 

Neilson was in charge of those youngsters as U20 manager. That's why he got the job. Locke did a great job in the circumstances to get some good results out of them.

We can afford to make signing mistakes every season IMO. Every season there's always a couple that don't work. What I like about Neilson when compared to Levein is he doesn't have any time for "projects" (not in the current situation anyhow) and he signs players for specific positions in the specific formation he wants to play. He also gives youngsters a chance while bringing in signings.

Anyhow the time to judge recruitment is where we are at the end of the season. Right now, you'd have to say recruitment has been good surely because we're top of the league and in the cup final?

Good wingers are hard to find. The encouraging thing is we're really trying to find at least one, and Ginnelly did look the part before injury. He's been a big miss. Frear has been disappointing. Roberts was useful initially but I think he was signed as cover up front as well as wide. I'm bemused by the panic from some over the recruitment so far tbh, especially considering the crazy times we're in. It wasn't exactly a good time to have to rebuild a team and Robbie has done very well to get us winning immediately.

Stewart Findlay and Ross Stewart on pre-contracts please Dr Budge. Get Smith, Kingsley and Irving tied down on new deals also please

Imo his problem was that when we got promoted he dismantled what was a very good SPL team and replaced them with very poor SPL/Championship players. He should have just left it alone. Within 16 months of being promoted almost the entire team had been changed then Budge and Levein's vanity project came in and well that was pretty much the end of any kind of winning and has been downhill since then except a very brief spell under Levein.

53 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Imo his problem was that when we got promoted he dismantled what was a very good SPL team and replaced them with very poor SPL/Championship players. He should have just left it alone. Within 16 months of being promoted almost the entire team had been changed then Budge and Levein's vanity project came in and well that was pretty much the end of any kind of winning and has been downhill since then except a very brief spell under Levein.

It wasn't quite that simple.

Some players were on loan like Zeefuik, and others struggled to step up a level (Gomis, Buaben, Pallardo).  We tried to replace Zeefuik with Juanma but that didn't work out.   Others didn't work out for a variety of reasons - Kenny Anderson, Sofian El Hassanoi.

Trying to acquire a decent goalscorer with our budget is an ask.

However, we did finish 3rd in that first season.

1 hour ago, frankblack said:

It wasn't quite that simple.

Some players were on loan like Zeefuik, and others struggled to step up a level (Gomis, Buaben, Pallardo).  We tried to replace Zeefuik with Juanma but that didn't work out.   Others didn't work out for a variety of reasons - Kenny Anderson, Sofian El Hassanoi.

Trying to acquire a decent goalscorer with our budget is an ask.

However, we did finish 3rd in that first season.

A goal scorer with a bit of devilment in them would do fine.  I sometimes just get the feeling that most of our side are too “nice”.  Someone able to noise up the opposition and gee up some of our own would be perfect.

2 minutes ago, Barack said:

Wish some folk would just come out and say they don't like Neilson. 

Instead of the prevarication. 

Affection is performance based. 

Not content with sticking to the Neilson thread to bum up Stendel, Bongo is now stinking this thread out with the same shite chat.

I’ll say it again - Hearts supporter my ****in arse.

Edited by Whatever

4 minutes ago, Whatever said:

Not content with sticking to the Neilson thread to bum up Stendel, Bongo is now stinking this thread out with the same shite chat.

I’ll say it again - Hearts supporter my ****in arse.

Needs to be launched.

bigsuperslim1874
6 hours ago, GinRummy said:

We need a better winger. Apart from that the squad is enough to get us up. 

McMullan at Dundee Utd would be cracking signing. Seems to have fallen out of favour at Utd and out of contract soon. Robbie played him during his time there, only 24, chips in with goals and much better than what we have (mostly).

Im actually really surprised we haven’t been linked....or have we and I have missed it??

Just now, bigsuperslim1874 said:

McMullan at Dundee Utd would be cracking signing. Seems to have fallen out of favour at Utd and out of contract soon. Robbie played him during his time there, only 24, chips in with goals and much better than what we have (mostly).

Im actually really surprised we haven’t been linked....or have we and I have missed it??

Linked with a move to Dundee at the end if the season. 

bigsuperslim1874
3 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Linked with a move to Dundee at the end if the season. 

Yeah - saw that in the Gossip on BBC today which made me think if he is actually available we should move. Think he was linked with us in the summer.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
2 hours ago, Barack said:

Wish some folk would just come out and say they don't like Neilson. 

Instead of the prevarication. 

I’m not a particular fan. Quite happy to admit that.

40 minutes ago, bigsuperslim1874 said:

First saw (noticed) him playing for Dunfermline against us . Did really well 

Like him but , like many wide players , blows hot and cold .

Certainly might be an upgrade

57 minutes ago, bigsuperslim1874 said:

From your description he seems just what we need. Good age and I’m sure Robbie will be aware of his situation. 👍

bigsuperslim1874
18 minutes ago, johnthomas said:

First saw (noticed) him playing for Dunfermline against us . Did really well 

Like him but , like many wide players , blows hot and cold .

Certainly might be an upgrade

2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

From your description he seems just what we need. Good age and I’m sure Robbie will be aware of his situation. 👍

Funnily enough I was speaking to a Pars supporting mate who rates him from his time there (and would love to see him back) and said based on what he has seen of us that he is exactly what we need. 😂

Absolutely an upgrade on Thomas and Frear....that in itself might not be a compliment but he is a player I have always rated regardless of who we have had on the wing. Another one of these ‘it’s so obvious why haven’t we looked’ cases.....unless we have and we just don’t know.

If (and it's a big IF) we are looking to bring in someone who can consistently deliver quality balls into e.g. Boyce or a new striker, Dom Thomas would do! 

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine
4 hours ago, bigsuperslim1874 said:

Not sure he's got much ability, but he's functional, and at least he tries, which you can't say for almost all the wingers we've signed recently. Wouldn't be the worst signing but I'd rather just keep my money.

bigsuperslim1874
17 minutes ago, Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine said:

Not sure he's got much ability, but he's functional, and at least he tries, which you can't say for almost all the wingers we've signed recently. Wouldn't be the worst signing but I'd rather just keep my money.

I think he would be decent - and at 24 still time to improve. I don’t think he would break the bank and we could easily offset by punting Thomas AND Frear. I would say - we will make a move if he is good enough but how many times has the club failed to do that!!

I would love to see Moore get a prolonged run in the team - where has he disappeared to??

3 hours ago, bigsuperslim1874 said:

Funnily enough I was speaking to a Pars supporting mate who rates him from his time there (and would love to see him back) and said based on what he has seen of us that he is exactly what we need. 😂

Absolutely an upgrade on Thomas and Frear....that in itself might not be a compliment but he is a player I have always rated regardless of who we have had on the wing. Another one of these ‘it’s so obvious why haven’t we looked’ cases.....unless we have and we just don’t know.

Who is this Thomas guy?

3 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Who is this Thomas guy?

I think he means Roberts.  Probably just mixed up with Dom Thomas (Dunfermline).

bigsuperslim1874
5 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I think he means Roberts.  Probably just mixed up with Dom Thomas (Dunfermline).

I’d love to say that was the reason....I just made a pigs ear of it! 😂

9 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Who is this Thomas guy?

Yeah - I have had a mare there.....I meant Roberts..

:facepalm:

1 minute ago, bigsuperslim1874 said:

I’d love to say that was the reason....I just made a pigs ear of it! 😂

Yeah - I have had a mare there.....I meant Roberts..

:facepalm:

It happens to us all.  No worries.