Robbie eyes January signings

Clerry Jambo

23 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

Can you point me in he direction of that article(s) please? 

I don't mind him. Was good in his st mirren spell too. But it's true he is not widely liked in Romania

"Florin Prunea were surprised by the disastrous performance of Mihai Popescu in the derby: "In the locker room he comments, but when he has to play he falls to the bottom!"

""Yes, boy, leave us! You're only good at training on the field"

https://amp.gsp.ro/article/602770

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• soonbe110

• GinRummy

• Ethan Hunt

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Robbie was interested in jake Hastie earlier in the season but he ended up on loan at Motherwell from Rangers.

I don’t think he’s played much for well so could this be an option or will he have played for too many teams?

given our signings of frear and Roberts I’d definitely be getting Hastie in if we could, I think he’d run Riot in the championship 

On 04/12/2020 at 08:29, copa-mundial said:

Who really was the last winger we had with pace. I mean real blistering pace? One that could skip by his man easily, and cross.

In all honesty. My thinking takes me way back to Neil McCann. 

Sam Nicholson, may be another. This apart. I really struggle to think. 

suso. Head down, fast as **** and ran at defenders. Never got the praise he deserved. 

44 minutes ago, 1874robbo said:

Robbie was interested in jake Hastie earlier in the season but he ended up on loan at Motherwell from Rangers.

I don’t think he’s played much for well so could this be an option or will he have played for too many teams?

given our signings of frear and Roberts I’d definitely be getting Hastie in if we could, I think he’d run Riot in the championship 

Agree Robbo. Let’s go and try and get a bit quality albeit on loan to get us out this shitty league and review things in the summer. Wouldn’t be dishing out contracts until the summer.

6 minutes ago, Clerry Jambo said:

Agree Robbo. Let’s go and try and get a bit quality albeit on loan to get us out this shitty league and review things in the summer. Wouldn’t be dishing out contracts until the summer.

Correct Clerry, like you say bring in a bit quality which is enough to get us to where we want to be and take stock in the summer, we can’t keep doing rebuilding jobs every year.

you want a good solid team and only make 2 or 3 additions each year.

we seem to have to bring in 8 or 9 every close season.

stop the revolving door, stop squandering money. the headless chicken routine of bread and circuses for the masses needs to stop.

bring in 1/2 quick younger players who have been thoroughly vetted both on and off the park. bin at least 5/6. promote a couple from the academy and spend time making what we have better.

Half the squads out of contract in the summer. Many others can be and should be moved on too. 

January isn't the time to bring in players with a view to next season. A striker on loan should be enough to make sure we win the league. 

Unfortunately, next season we will have to recruit a lot of new players to get back to a good level. 

We have a large squad of mostly journeymen. Lets bin the quantity and go for 2/3 Quality younger players who can grow with the team. Rebuilding every season is not working.

On 05/12/2020 at 10:33, jambonian said:

Plenty good players out there, we just don't go for them. In the summer it's time to actually spend a little bit of cash on transfers rather than looking around Poundland. That's got us where we are these days. At Killie a couple of years ago, a few of their players impressed when they played against us and also watching them against other clubs on tv. We had a problem at left-back, Taylor looked the best left-back in the league. No chance now that he's ended up at Celtic. Power looked decent in their midfield, Brophy scored goals, O'Donnell was excellent for them at right-back, and contributed to some goals himself and Jones was very direct on the left-wing and scored. Now at Rangers so that chance has gone. Greg Stewart was good as well. Kamara looked solid in Dundee's midfield and now he's at Rangers. Docherty looked the part at Hamilton and he also ended up there. You then looked at a few from Motherwell...and it goes on. In the Championship so far this season there's one or two that look very promising. I liked the movement upfront of Duku and that was before he scored that screamer that left an International goalkeeper of Gordon's quality no chance. Dunfermline have a few. McInroy springs to mind, Declan McManus and particularly the central defender Euan Murray stood out. Do we ignore as usual and wait until the likes of Hibs orAberdeen go for them? There will be a few more as the season unfolds. I hope Neilson doesn't do a Levein and blank decent prospects that play against us in favour of injured projects. Speculate to accumulate is the way to go. 

Having a go at our signing policy and then going on to name players such as Duku and Mcmanus loses you some credibility .For us to improve we need far better players than this.For all who are quoting Duku as a target,look at his history and tell me he would be better than some of the duds we have brought in previously.

Carl Fredrickson

Reading the excellent Reminiscing With Legends brought back memories of how JJ shaped the team in the 1990s. He had to get rid of a number of players that had been with us for a number of years. He brought in 4 or 5 from the youth/reserve team and added a few foreign players. Mixed youth with experience. Once the main changes had taken place his second close season had two signings, Adam & Flogel. 

I would love Robbie to do similar in getting rid of deadwood and bringing in quality. I appreciate times (and finances) have changed since JJs first stint but I hope Robbie can achieve similar success with his team building.

Guest ToqueJambo
7 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

Reading the excellent Reminiscing With Legends brought back memories of how JJ shaped the team in the 1990s. He had to get rid of a number of players that had been with us for a number of years. He brought in 4 or 5 from the youth/reserve team and added a few foreign players. Mixed youth with experience. Once the main changes had taken place his second close season had two signings, Adam & Flogel. 

I would love Robbie to do similar in getting rid of deadwood and bringing in quality. I appreciate times (and finances) have changed since JJs first stint but I hope Robbie can achieve similar success with his team building.

Times have changed a lot. Players like McCann, Cameron and Weir would have lots more options if they played today.

Key thing for me is it takes time to build a genuinely good side like JJ’s.

Carl Fredrickson
5 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Times have changed a lot. Players like McCann, Cameron and Weir would have lots more options if they played today.

Key thing for me is it takes time to build a genuinely good side like JJ’s.

I would love it to happen. Young players coming through our academy, picking up decent Scots from lower level teams and add good foreign players like Haring. I can but dream.....

Does it really matter who we sign if the footballing philosophy is rotten?

JJ built a great side, but played good, attacking football.

I'm not sure that's RN's bag.

Happy to be proven wrong!

46 minutes ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

This is, essentially where we are going wrong year after year. Mass signings, Mass exits and repeat. I feel for Robbie a bit because the squad is bloated and has to be drastically trimmed, still. Bring in quality, even on loan to get us out of Championship. Summer we will need a few, winter 1 or two, summer one or two.

The chopping and changing of managers hasn't helped but our recruitment has been woeful, probably since Burley when we were living well beyond our means really. John Murray should retire/get the bullet and recruitment seriously looked at.

Also, if we're signing a striker who scores goals when supplied from wide areas we should either recruit accordingly or not sign him. Sign players who can play the way you want your team to play. No projects, no punts. 

Edited by Jamhammer

1 hour ago, gowestjambo said:

We have a large squad of mostly journeymen. Lets bin the quantity and go for 2/3 Quality younger players who can grow with the team. Rebuilding every season is not working.

Sounds good in theory, but a couple of injuries and you are back to looking at your reserves.

To get out of this league we need a bit of depth in addition to quality.

Guest ToqueJambo
20 minutes ago, Boris said:

Despite it apparently not being his bag, Neilson's teams have generally scored a lot of goals and created a lot of chances. Give Neilson the resources JJ got and who knows what kind of team he'd build or players he'd sign. He clearly wants to attack, but also wants to dominate possession.

Guest ToqueJambo
17 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

This is, essentially where we are going wrong year after year. Mass signings, Mass exits and repeat. I feel for Robbie a bit because the squad is bloated and has to be drastically trimmed, still. Bring in quality, even on loan to get us out of Championship. Summer we will need a few, winter 1 or two, summer one or two.

The chopping and changing of managers hasn't helped but our recruitment has been woeful, probably since Burley when we were living well beyond our means really. John Murray should retire/get the bullet and recruitment seriously looked at.

Also, if we're signing a striker who scores goals when supplied from wide areas we should either recruit accordingly or not sign him. Sign players who can play the way you want your team to play. No projects, no punts. 

This is what Neilson does, or aims to do. Punts and projects was very much a Levein thing.

14/15 recruitment was outstanding. The following season we did very well. 18/19 started promisingly. That season and 19/20 are difficult to judge as almost all the players signed got injured and by the time everyone, or most, were fit again our form had deteriorated to the point of no return.

Edited by ToqueJambo

Just now, ToqueJambo said:

Despite it apparently not being his bag, Neilson's teams have generally scored a lot of goals and created a lot of chances. Give Neilson the resources JJ got and who knows what kind of team he'd build or players he'd sign. He clearly wants to attack, but also wants to dominate possession.

Who said it wasn't his bag? I said I was unsure if it was...thanks for the clarification.

Possession is fine, if you use it properly. Mowbray's Hibs side were adept at playing nice possession stuff in the MF, but it amounted to squat. I feel that sometimes we are happier keeping the ball than gambling on attacking.

30 minutes ago, Boris said:

Correct you get it 👍

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, Boris said:

Who said it wasn't his bag? I said I was unsure if it was...thanks for the clarification.

Possession is fine, if you use it properly. Mowbray's Hibs side were adept at playing nice possession stuff in the MF, but it amounted to squat. I feel that sometimes we are happier keeping the ball than gambling on attacking.

A lot of people seem think Neilson is a negative manager. No idea if that's you. I agree about the not gambling thing. Listening to Neilson shouting at his team, he definitely wants faster passing and forward passing when we can.

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Correct you get it 👍

Except he's been proven wrong by Neilson's time at Hearts. His teams score goals and create chances, more than any Hearts manager since Burley.

Just now, ToqueJambo said:

Except he's been proven wrong by Neilson's time at Hearts. His teams score goals and create chances, more than any Hearts manager since Burley.

They also chuck 2 goal leads to Scottish championships team, be mugged off by a team that is managed by Tommy Wright that has nowhere near are budget, get dumped out of Europe by a team i have never heard of before 😂, finish 3rd in a Scottish Premiership that has to be one of the worst in history, when we could've pushed Celtic all the way like Aberdeen did that year but our away form let's us down. 

Guest ToqueJambo
13 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

They also chuck 2 goal leads to Scottish championships team, be mugged off by a team that is managed by Tommy Wright that has nowhere near are budget, get dumped out of Europe by a team i have never heard of before 😂, finish 3rd in a Scottish Premiership that has to be one of the worst in history, when we could've pushed Celtic all the way like Aberdeen did that year but our away form let's us down. 

WTF is wrong with you. Did JJ and our other managers not have bad results?

Barcelona just got beat by Cadiz despite having 20+ shots and 82% possession. If results like Alloa become the norm then we have a problem. If we were mid table and out the SC to Hibs then we'd have a problem.

But right now we're top of the league and in a cup final. It's a weird time to be bringing up random past results. And Aberdeen didn't push Celtic all the way, they finished 15 pts behind 🤣 We finished just 6 pts behind Aberdeen and scored just 3 goals fewer depsite them having a budget about 3 or 4 times ours.

Berra than you
13 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

You know hearts aren't Barcelona right? Football teams lose games sometimes. Robbie neilsons record is far better than the vast majority of hearts managers even when you take out the championship seasons. Honestly do not understand what some fans want. Yet you bang the Stendel drum when he was woeful. He too got "mugged off" by teams with lesser budgets. You can say that it wasn't his team all you like but he was in charge long enough to figure out how to get decent players winning.

4 minutes ago, Berra than you said:

You know hearts aren't Barcelona right? Football teams lose games sometimes. Robbie neilsons record is far better than the vast majority of hearts managers even when you take out the championship seasons. Honestly do not understand what some fans want. Yet you bang the Stendel drum when he was woeful. He too got "mugged off" by teams with lesser budgets. You can say that it wasn't his team all you like but he was in charge long enough to figure out how to get decent players winning.

He had been in the job 3 months, how long had Robbie been at Hearts when they defeats occurred?.

And tbf Stendel never got his arse handed to him by a championship team, for them then to go on and win the Cup 👍

5 minutes ago, Berra than you said:

You dismiss the fact it wasn’t his team like it was nothing. The players weren’t even fit when Stendel took over and he was hampered by the fact the squad was full of players who couldn’t be arsed, as is Robbie. 

Berra than you
1 minute ago, Bongo 1874 said:

He had been in the job 3 months, how long had Robbie been at Hearts when they defeats occurred?.

And tbf Stendel never got his arse handed to him by a championship team, for them then to go on and win the Cup 👍

Granted stendel hadn't had long, but he's had long enough to make a team that didn't conceded as many stupid goals as we did. It's irrelevant how long Robbie had, because football teams lose games. It happens, it was years ago, get over it. You know Hibs didn't beat us in a final right? They still had a lot to do. We bottled the replay at Easter road. Absolutely, but again sometimes hearts lose it happens. The game at tynecastle however, we were forced into changing the game plan with making subs that we wouldn't normally have made. 

Berra than you
4 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

You dismiss the fact it wasn’t his team like it was nothing. The players weren’t even fit when Stendel took over and he was hampered by the fact the squad was full of players who couldn’t be arsed, as is Robbie. 

That was not my intention, obviously it does matter, and no doubt stendel would've done better had he had his own players . However the manner in which we lost goals under stendel was shambolic at times and something a good manager should be able to sort quickly. In my opinion it took him too long to sort that, and if I'm honest I had no faith in him keeping us up after the last game in Paisley. He did have enough time to take us off bottom though and couldn't achieve that. My main point really was that the poster I was responding to celebrates stendel for a handful of decent wins, and in the same breathe slates neilson for a handful of poor results. Baffling.

Robbie eyes Jan signings is the topic (ie future tense) yet there are more posts talking crap about who did what in the past than enough.  FFS

Dusk_Till_Dawn
4 hours ago, lou said:

Duku of Raith and Turner of Dunfermline are looking good and  would be good additions to the squad

Good additions for the Premiership? Absolutely no point in signing anyone for the league we’re currently in.

If Robbie can’t get this squad out of this woeful division then he should go off and become a bin man or something 

Guest ToqueJambo
12 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Instead of having to rely on McLean and Wighton, who he could afford to loan out, Stendel had more firepower available than Levein and McPhee in Naismith, Washington, Walker and Boyce (and Uche for that matter), plus he had Halkett and Souttar back in defence. He simply couldn't figure out how to beat the teams around us even with all those resources and ran out of time. 

Just now, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Good additions for the Premiership? Absolutely no point in signing anyone for the league we’re currently in.

If Robbie can’t get this squad out of this woeful division then he should go off and become a bin man or something 

I agree but getting out of this league is vital and who's to say they won't cut it in the premiership? 

18Jambo_dave74

Some bizarre points being made, it is very easy to cherry pick results to make points to suit you’re argument.

Jefferies lost 6-2 to Hibs. Cathro beat Rangers 4-1. Levein lost 6-1 to Motherwell. Levein lost 5-0 to Livingston. Levein beat Celtic 4-0. Levein beat Braga 3-1. Sergio lost to Ayr Utd. Neilson beat a team 10-0. Neilson lost a derby in the cup when they were in a lower division. Neilson won a derby in the cup when we were in a lower division etc etc...

1 minute ago, Berra than you said:

That was not my intention, obviously it does matter, and no doubt stendel would've done better had he had his own players . However the manner in which we lost goals under stendel was shambolic at times and something a good manager should be able to sort quickly. In my opinion it took him too long to sort that, and if I'm honest I had no faith in him keeping us up after the last game in Paisley. He did have enough time to take us off bottom though and couldn't achieve that. My main point really was that the poster I was responding to celebrates stendel for a handful of decent wins, and in the same breathe slates neilson for a handful of poor results. Baffling.

Robbie has a tougher job than I thought. How players like Naismith and Walker can consistently under perform under three managers is clearly more to do with them than the guy in charge. I agree with you on Stendel to an extent but it doesn’t detract from the fact he got us playing some of our best football in years. He got a raw deal in the end because of circumstance but the players resisted the changes he tried to make imo which cost us precious time and points in the league. 

The St Johnstone game at the end of Levein’s reign, the st Johnstone game under McPhee and the st mirren game under Stendel were all very similar. Players just couldn’t be ****ed.  

Dusk_Till_Dawn
1 minute ago, lou said:

I agree but getting out of this league is vital and who's to say they won't cut it in the premiership? 

That’s what I’m asking - would they cut it in the Premiership?

8 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Instead of having to rely on McLean and Wighton, who he could afford to loan out, Stendel had more firepower available than Levein and McPhee in Naismith, Washington, Walker and Boyce (and Uche for that matter), plus he had Halkett and Souttar back in defence. He simply couldn't figure out how to beat the teams around us even with all those resources and ran out of time. 

Or the players weren’t up for those games. The couldn’t be arsed attitude of several of our players is clear as the nose on your face. They bring it against hibs and rangers and aberdeen then hid against pish. That happened under Levein as well. It’ll happen under robbie and it’ll keep happening under the next guy until we get hungrier ambitious players who play to a professional level every game. 

Edited by GinRummy

3 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

That’s what I’m asking - would they cut it in the Premiership?

Turner was head and shoulders above the Hearts players when we played Dunfermline, mind you so was Whittaker 🥺

Dusk_Till_Dawn
10 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Stendel took 20 points from 17 games.

Levein took 8 from 11.

One of them was shit. The other’s reign didn’t have a chance to play out. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
6 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

No chance. 

My feeling too. The last thing we need is more underwhelming passengers in our squad.

Hence why I wouldn’t let Robbie do anything in January

Haringshairband
29 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

I liked Stendel... But you seem to love the guy, surprised you stopped giving him a handy long enough to type responses on this forum.

I honestly think if we're going to get any decent players willing to join us in this league then we should be looking at the loan market

Guest ToqueJambo
6 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Or the players weren’t up for those games. The couldn’t be arsed attitude of several of our players is clear as the nose on your face. They bring it against hibs and rangers and aberdeen then hid against pish. That happened under Levein as well. It’ll happen under robbie and it’ll keep happening under the next guy until we get hungrier ambitious players who play to a professional level every game. 

Momentum works both ways. We got into a slide and Stendel didn't have time to turn it around. The players definitely deserve a lot of stick but almost all the ones who played regularly are away.

Do the players not look hungry to you so far? I have no idea why people are complaining about this season. It's going the way we want it to and the way most expected. Has everyone forgotten even when we were so dominant in the Championship in 2014/15 we had a lot of very narrow wins and the odd draw away against the likes of Dumbarton, QoS, Falkirk, Alloa?

This year is following the same script so far but teams are playing MUCH more defensively against us IMO than they did in 14/15 from watching games so far. Whether that's because they couldn't strengthen because of covid, or there are no fans to even try to entertain, or what but there's no doubt teams are parking the bus vs us much more than in 14/15. The two teams that didn't - Dundee and Hibs - we beat quite easily.

2 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

My feeling too. The last thing we need is more underwhelming passengers in our squad.

Hence why I wouldn’t let Robbie do anything in January

I think if he’s given a clear remit to sign players who might have a future in the game he should be given any funds available. The journeymen Popescu, Garrucio, Dikamona, Bozanic, Frear approach has to end now. It’s an embarrassing waste of time. Before anyone jumps on my back, I know journeymen type signings are needed at times but when you sign as many as we do it’s a sign we’re going the wrong way.

Who, out of the players that have played first team football this season, has any chance whatsoever of playing at a bigger or even equal level club to us? 

Guest ToqueJambo
1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

I think if he’s given a clear remit to sign players who might have a future in the game he should be given any funds available. The journeymen Popescu, Garrucio, Dikamona, Bozanic, Frear approach has to end now. It’s an embarrassing waste of time. Before anyone jumps on my back, I know journeymen type signings are needed at times but when you sign as many as we do it’s a sign we’re going the wrong way.

Who, out of the players that have played first team football this season, has any chance whatsoever of playing at a bigger or even equal level club to us? 

Who should we have signed at this time of extreme uncertainty and economic crisis? All we need to d this season is get promoted. That's it. Then by the time that happens, maybe things will be back to normal.

Dusk_Till_Dawn
2 minutes ago, ToqueJambo said:

Who should we have signed at this time of extreme uncertainty and economic crisis? All we need to d this season is get promoted. That's it. Then by the time that happens, maybe things will be back to normal.

Our recruitment was woeful well before covid 

I would take a couple of loan signings only just now. Just to make sure we get up. Leave permanent signings to the summer. Will be easier to get quality we will need.

1 minute ago, ToqueJambo said:

Momentum works both ways. We got into a slide and Stendel didn't have time to turn it around. The players definitely deserve a lot of stick but almost all the ones who played regularly are away.

Do the players not look hungry to you so far? I have no idea why people are complaining about this season. It's going the way we want it to and the way most expected. Has everyone forgotten even when we were so dominant in the Championship in 2014/15 we had a lot of very narrow wins and the odd draw away against the likes of Dumbarton, QoS, Falkirk, Alloa?

This year is following the same script so far but teams are playing MUCH more defensively against us IMO than they did in 14/15 from watching games so far. Whether that's because they couldn't strengthen because of covid, or there are no fans to even try to entertain, or what but there's no doubt teams are parking the bus vs us much more than in 14/15. The two teams that didn't - Dundee and Hibs - we beat quite easily.

We are playing in a league full of cash starved clubs with third rate players. I expect people like Naismith, Walker, Boyce and even Lee to help us absolutely dominate games. I still believe these players lack motivation and can’t be bothered. I don’t believe that’s robbie’s fault. His team in 14/15 had a drive and enthusiasm that this side doesn’t have.