• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• GinRummy

• Cruyff

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

Irvine would be a signing I’d be keen for us to make. Obviously, Campbell would be ideal since he’s much younger and could probably be sold to a club down south after a season or two. Problem is, he’s possibly already on those clubs radars now. Be a tough sell I think. 

11 hours ago, Rick Sanchez said:

Liam Polworth is more realistic and out of contract soon.

I'm slightly jealous of Hibs signing Irvine if I'm honest. Getting him on a free and on an affordable wage is an absolute coup.

I'd like us to go for Alan Campbell. Might be ambitious and he might have some bigger/better offers down south but if we don't ask, we'll never know. If that's not happening then Tshibola would be my next choice, then Polworth. I've also been really impressed with Kyle Turner at Dunfermline and wouldn't mind if we signed him too. Bit of a risk as to whether or not he'd be able to take the step up, but the way he plays should work well in the Prem as he's enthusiastic, energetic, and presses with a lot intensity. I'd say any of those three plus Turner would be good replacements for Damour and Lee who I'm assuming won't be here next season... 

Edited by Batistuta87

13 minutes ago, Rave MacPherson said:

Some of the names mentioned here are pretty impressive. I would prefer to get a new cb in before a striker or attacker just now though. Berra should be settling for a seat on the bench nowadays and Halkett needs a different type of defender beside him. 

I would like to see Henderson, Moore and Brandon get a run of games before the end of the season. There is some potential there and i would like to see them given maybe 4 games in a row each. 

Looking into a centre back this month but aren’t in a panic about it will only make a move for one if the right person becomes available we won’t be rushed , more interested in looking for long term replacements which is the plan for summer 

13 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

I'm slightly jealous of Hibs signing Irvine if I'm honest. Getting him on a free and on an affordable wage is an absolute coup.

I'd like us to go for Alan Campbell. Might be ambitious and he might have some bigger/better offers down south but if we don't ask, we'll never know. If that's not happening then Tshibola would be my next choice, then Polworth. I've also been really impressed with Kyle Turner at Dunfermline and wouldn't mind if we signed him too. Bit of a risk as to whether or not he'd be able to take the step up, but the way he plays should work well in the Prem as he's enthusiastic, energetic, and presses with a lot intensity. I'd say any of those three plus Turner would be good replacements for Damour and Lee who I'm assuming won't be here next season... 

Mentioned a few times on here Campbell has been a target for us along with aberdeen but has a lot of interest down south and I think that seems to interest him more than staying up here. Polworth and Turner both would be good additions 

16 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

I would like to see us going for Findlay from Killie on a pre contract or maybe Guthrie from Livi to replace Berra.

19 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

I thought Kerr McInroy was the stand out in Dunfermline’s midfield. Although I believe he is on loan from Celtic.

22 minutes ago, Rave MacPherson said:

Some of the names mentioned here are pretty impressive. I would prefer to get a new cb in before a striker or attacker just now though. Berra should be settling for a seat on the bench nowadays and Halkett needs a different type of defender beside him. 

I would like to see Henderson, Moore and Brandon get a run of games before the end of the season. There is some potential there and i would like to see them given maybe 4 games in a row each. 

I think there is more chance of Moore being put out on loan or punted altoghter as Robbie obviously doesn't rate him.

Personaly I just don't see Henderson progressing and doubt he will ever make it with us.

Brandon had a decent game against Dundee I thought although he is prone to making errors but then who isn't llok at Smith's back pass to Gordon in our game v Ayr.

6 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

I thought Kerr McInroy was the stand out in Dunfermline’s midfield. Although I believe he is on loan from Celtic.

Yeah it was him and Turner who pressed the living daylights out of us. I don't know what McInroy's contract situation is with Celtic and if he'd be available but yeah either one of them (or both!?) would be a great addition to our squad. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
37 minutes ago, Jamboj1 said:

Mentioned a few times on here Campbell has been a target for us along with aberdeen but has a lot of interest down south and I think that seems to interest him more than staying up here. Polworth and Turner both would be good additions 

Polworth, is he not in the same ilk as Lee and Irving? Don't know much about Turner admittedly

21 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Yeah it was him and Turner who pressed the living daylights out of us. I don't know what McInroy's contract situation is with Celtic and if he'd be available but yeah either one of them (or both!?) would be a great addition to our squad. 

A great addition based on what? Having one decent game against us (which was mostly based on running and closing down)?

He's not been a guaranteed starter for Dunfermline as far as I can see.

4 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Polworth, is he not in the same ilk as Lee and Irving? Don't know much about Turner admittedly

I think so. Not really what we need.

26 minutes ago, DC_92 said:

A great addition based on what? Having one decent game against us (which was mostly based on running and closing down)?

Think its always difficult to judge players based on performances against your own team , Probably the way most of us form our opinion

Macmullan , when at Dunfermline , played well against us

Seem to remember Frear looking really dangerous at Tynecastle !

2 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

Can't see why that would be the case, the transfer window won't be extended so if we want players in we'll still try to get them in I'd imagine. 

Teams only have 16/17 games to play. There's no way the season won't be finished, even if there is a short break. It would be done and dusted by May at the latest.

Plus we are a club who has the finances to bring in new players. If we’re looking at longer deals like the 2.5 years for GMS then it’s definitely worth it. Loans and short term deals not so much. 

Scottish Premier Clubs income now under more financial threat re SC games and potential further action.

If we can 'afford it'  S Findlay from Kilmarnock a small fee or at least a pre-contract would be a very good addition to first team - 'A starter'.

The right age at 25, quick, good in the air, left sided knows our league very well.

Will boys on loan return? Are they available for selection?

Wouldn’t be shocked if our football is postponed next but in the meantime surely worth having Hamilton, Logan, Smith, Stone, Cochrane doing something 

Definitely wouldn’t be signing anyone else unless pre-contract or a no-brainer (like GMS)

Edited by R1874

7 minutes ago, jambo2524 said:

Scottish Premier Clubs income now under more financial threat re SC games and potential further action.

If we can 'afford it'  S Findlay from Kilmarnock a small fee or at least a pre-contract would be a very good addition to first team - 'A starter'.

The right age at 25, quick, good in the air, left sided knows our league very well.

This is the obvious one. Really like Findlay. Would be ideal

jamboinglasgow

Random move of the window - Rangers are looking to sign Scott Wright from Aberdeen. Sounds like Rangers Jordan Jones/Brendon Barker/Gregg Stewart signing of the season. 

2 hours ago, DC_92 said:

I'm wondering if you're maybe thinking of someone else because your comment is just wrong. He didn't just have one decent game against us - he was outstanding, and played some experienced professionals off the park. If he has that in his locker and can do it consistently, he could be a very, very good player. He's also played in all 10 of their league games and all 6 of their cup games in their run to the QF of the BetFred Cup, and was POTM for December - ahead of our entire team, ahead of Charlie Adam, and so on... Not saying he's going to come to us and be an instant starter, but surely you can agree that these are good things, and they point to him having a bit of ability and some potential to crack on... 

Neil Dongcaster
3 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Random move of the window - Rangers are looking to sign Scott Wright from Aberdeen. Sounds like Rangers Jordan Jones/Brendon Barker/Gregg Stewart signing of the season. 

He’s very different to what they have, 

4 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Very random. You can only think Gerrard is seeing something we ain't. But like you say I thought that about the names you've listed and they didn't get long to show much.

Joe Savage has signed Brandon Barker before btw :duck:

kingantti1874
24 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

think he’s potentially a very good player

3 hours ago, DC_92 said:

Agree. Can't sign someone based on one good game against us at Championship level. We need established known quantities to get where we need to be, not someone that may be at that level 3-4 years down the line. 

Polworth imo is a good player but yeah, he is a playmaker, he'd be a good replacement for O. Lee and imo a better player than Lee but again I'd agree that a playmaker isn't the top of the list when it comes to midfielders. We need someone combative and energetic in midfield, someone like Allan Campbell for example. 

1 hour ago, R1874 said:

Will boys on loan return? Are they available for selection?

Wouldn’t be shocked if our football is postponed next but in the meantime surely worth having Hamilton, Logan, Smith, Stone, Cochrane doing something 

Definitely wouldn’t be signing anyone else unless pre-contract or a no-brainer (like GMS)

Cochrane's loan deal at Montrose has been extended to the end of the season and Hamilton is back from Dumbarton and now away to Stiling Albion until the end of the season. Stone is back I think but Connor Smith and Cammy Loagn have both gone to Cove until the end of the season.

lost in space

There must be over 400 players in League 1 and 2 who are not going to be playing this month and probably longer. The 20 club must be desperate to reduce wages. Standards are not high but there must be some young prospects that we could sign on a small wage till end of season.

Surely we are alert to this and to which players are worry taking a chances on.

5 minutes ago, lost in space said:

There must be over 400 players in League 1 and 2 who are not going to be playing this month and probably longer. The 20 club must be desperate to reduce wages. Standards are not high but there must be some young prospects that we could sign on a small wage till end of season.

Surely we are alert to this and to which players are worry taking a chances on.

Good point. Though I’d be much more interested in signing decent prospect beyond the end of the season. We need to be looking longer term now. 

18 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Agree. Can't sign someone based on one good game against us at Championship level. We need established known quantities to get where we need to be, not someone that may be at that level 3-4 years down the line. 

Polworth imo is a good player but yeah, he is a playmaker, he'd be a good replacement for O. Lee and imo a better player than Lee but again I'd agree that a playmaker isn't the top of the list when it comes to midfielders. We need someone combative and energetic in midfield, someone like Allan Campbell for example. 

Agree that we need a bit of steel in our midfield, but we've been screaming out for a midfield playmaker for years.

1 hour ago, Batistuta87 said:

I'm wondering if you're maybe thinking of someone else because your comment is just wrong. He didn't just have one decent game against us - he was outstanding, and played some experienced professionals off the park. If he has that in his locker and can do it consistently, he could be a very, very good player. He's also played in all 10 of their league games and all 6 of their cup games in their run to the QF of the BetFred Cup, and was POTM for December - ahead of our entire team, ahead of Charlie Adam, and so on... Not saying he's going to come to us and be an instant starter, but surely you can agree that these are good things, and they point to him having a bit of ability and some potential to crack on... 

So actually my post was not wrong and you are basing it on one game.:lol: Maybe he was outstanding in terms of effort and running, but ability? Come on now. Our current midfield is unfortunately pretty guff so I wouldn't put too much stock in being able to get the better of them. Dundee did the same.

McInroy was not Championship player of the month, Kyle Turner was. In any case, player of the month doesn't actually mean you're the best player in the league, it means you've made a bit of an impression for a few games. If you look back at previous players of the month in the Championship I'm sure you'll find plenty of guff. Maybe we should swap Neilson for Stevie Crawford as well given that the latter is 2-0 up on manager of the month awards this season?

As for McInroy's appearance record, he may have featured in every game, but he was hooked at half-time against Dundee recently and didn't start the following game against Arbroath, only coming on for the last 17 minutes. Not an automatic pick.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall watching as John Murray recommends a striker with 2 goals in 90 appearances from Timbuktu.

Joe Savage will chokeslam him through the physio table and that will be the end of John Murray and our injury problems!

6 hours ago, john thomas said:

Think its always difficult to judge players based on performances against your own team , Probably the way most of us form our opinion

Macmullan , when at Dunfermline , played well against us

Seem to remember Frear looking really dangerous at Tynecastle !

Frear must have a twin brother then 😉

1 hour ago, Rick Sanchez said:

I'd love to be a fly on the wall watching as John Murray recommends a striker with 2 goals in 90 appearances from Timbuktu.

Joe Savage will chokeslam him through the physio table and that will be the end of John Murray and our injury problems!

How this man is still in a job is an absolute disgrace. Any other Employer would have sacked him years ago.

44 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

Frear must have a twin brother then 😉

Yes he was playing for Motherwell obviously but think he caused us problems

2 minutes ago, john thomas said:

Yes he was playing for Motherwell obviously but think he caused us problems

And still causing us problems☹️

RustyRightPeg
44 minutes ago, gowestjambo said:

How this man is still in a job is an absolute disgrace. Any other Employer would have sacked him years ago.

Hopefully Joe Savage see's through it and gets him out.

kingantti1874
8 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

Robbie is still advocating the Dundee utd holding mid

butcher? I wouldn’t be averse to it.. especially given I’m not sure Haring will get back. Like others disappointed that Irvine looks set for hibs

5 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

His choice , if hes available

He certainly does the dirty stuff . Think , last season , when he played they didn't lose goals

Dirty bastuuurd who can also play probably hard to find

13 minutes ago, Colonel Kurtz said:

If he’s the type of player people are saying he would at least give us a bit of dirtiness in midfield which is something I like. Have to say Id prefer a striker but up to RN. 

4 hours ago, DC_92 said:

So actually my post was not wrong and you are basing it on one game.:lol: Maybe he was outstanding in terms of effort and running, but ability? Come on now. Our current midfield is unfortunately pretty guff so I wouldn't put too much stock in being able to get the better of them. Dundee did the same.

McInroy was not Championship player of the month, Kyle Turner was. In any case, player of the month doesn't actually mean you're the best player in the league, it means you've made a bit of an impression for a few games. If you look back at previous players of the month in the Championship I'm sure you'll find plenty of guff. Maybe we should swap Neilson for Stevie Crawford as well given that the latter is 2-0 up on manager of the month awards this season?

As for McInroy's appearance record, he may have featured in every game, but he was hooked at half-time against Dundee recently and didn't start the following game against Arbroath, only coming on for the last 17 minutes. Not an automatic pick.

Actually your comment is completely wrong because it's Kyle Turner I'm talking about. Someone else brought up McInroy. I said either one would be a good addition in one comment but I've been talking about Turner all along... 

Winning POTM as a young lad is good going. I'm not stupid and realise that doesn't mean he is THE BEST, but clearly he's played well and was merely using this as evidence of him doing so. His season is off to a flier and he's one of the better players in the league at only 22/23 yr old. 

Everyone is always moaning that we don't take a chance on these lower league players who are standing out, who end up moving somewhere else and being really good. He could be one of them. 

19 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

butcher? I wouldn’t be averse to it.. especially given I’m not sure Haring will get back. Like others disappointed that Irvine looks set for hibs

Not been keeping up to date but is Irvine to Hibs an actual thing or just usual pish on here 😬

12 minutes ago, Madjambo21 said:

Not been keeping up to date but is Irvine to Hibs an actual thing or just usual pish on here 😬

Daily Record etc reporting it's happening. Good player who I'd take at Hearts although he's not played for 10 months.

ginger jambo98
12 minutes ago, Madjambo21 said:

Jackson Irvine has held talks with Hibs according to quite a few journos. No deal signed yet though.

11 minutes ago, ginger jambo98 said:

Jackson Irvine has held talks with Hibs according to quite a few journos. No deal signed yet though.

Oops.

Irvine not Irving 🤦‍♂️

Thought it was our lad 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️😁😁

Not bothered bout Jackson Irvine we will still pump the wee team

HHGH

44 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Actually your comment is completely wrong because it's Kyle Turner I'm talking about. Someone else brought up McInroy. I said either one would be a good addition in one comment but I've been talking about Turner all along... 

Winning POTM as a young lad is good going. I'm not stupid and realise that doesn't mean he is THE BEST, but clearly he's played well and was merely using this as evidence of him doing so. His season is off to a flier and he's one of the better players in the league at only 22/23 yr old. 

Everyone is always moaning that we don't take a chance on these lower league players who are standing out, who end up moving somewhere else and being really good. He could be one of them. 

:lol:

The post I actually responded to is below. McInroy is the "him" referred to in your post and hence in my response, no?

9 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

9 hours ago, Batistuta87 said:

Yeah it was him and Turner who pressed the living daylights out of us. I don't know what McInroy's contract situation is with Celtic and if he'd be available but yeah either one of them (or both!?) would be a great addition to our squad

Either way, the point applies to both players. Maybe they will end up being good, but I wondered if you had any more basis for saying they'd be "great additions" other than seeing them play against us once.

• davemclaren changed the title to January transfer window ( Now closed )