January transfer window ( Now closed )

kingantti1874

Dundee are a Charlie Adam injury away from freefall. They are a one man team. One man who can play for about 30 minutes each week, then just kicks people until he's subbed off.

Jason Cummings League 1 stats vs Arnand's are laughable.

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• GinRummy

• Cruyff

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

27 minutes ago, scottg71 said:

Dundee City it will be then 😀

27 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Dundee City.... Tbh not that hard. 😉

The original choice of Dundee Hibernians when they decided to move away from the Irish name. Dundee protested to the SFA that having a club named after the city and another called City would blur the lines between the two. All about self preservation, I suspect.

Dundee Hibs went down the United route which makes no sense at all really.

Edit: after Ardwick FC changer their name to Manchester City, Newton Heath decided that they, too, should adopt the city's name and broaden their appeal. The boardroom vote was a baw hair away from Manchester Celtic, apparently, but United won the day.

Edited by martoon

Penultimate “business” day of the window and people are on a transfer thread debating what an amalgamated Dundee team would be called. Here’s seeing that the ITK crowd are no longer as informed as they once were. (Unless there’s no business to be had and therefore discussed of course)

Selkirkhmfc1874
21 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Would have been a draw in the league, still shite but an away draw is hardly a drama. 

Disagree it's a drama all right ! A team with international players against part time players should be winning comfortably and then add on the difference in wage bill will be 10 times more 

7 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Disagree it's a drama all right ! A team with international players against part time players should be winning comfortably and then add on the difference in wage bill will be 10 times more 

We’ve won 10 league games. All 3 serious rivals have won 5 each. If we collapsed and lost 6 or 7 of our 14 left it might be tight but even then a rival would need to win more than 10 of the 15 they have left. Neither scenario will happen on current evidence.

13 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

That's why I find it hard to believe the fees quoted for those 2 muppets.

Maybe 200k for Nisbet, but I wouldn't take the other clown for free

One of the deluded on .net thinks they should be getting 3-4 million up front plus add ons for Nisbett :rofl:

1 hour ago, Smith's right boot said:

The league is done once we beat Dunfermline Tommorrow. 

If they somehow manage to beat us Tommorrow it could be more interesting than most want it to be. 

Can't see it tho. 

Ours to win but also to lose.

14 hours ago, Riccarton3 said:

Something stinks re Dundee

They must have received their pieces of silver from Celtic.

Bazzas right boot
30 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Disagree all you want Football isn't like that tho, never has been, ever. 

Celtic don't beat us every time despite 10 times our budget, they do however beat us more times than we beat them and over a season finish higher. 

That's why we have leagues, the best team becomes champions over a season. 

It is also why we have cups so clubs like ourselves have the chance of a trophy and can get one over the teams with bigger budgets, that works both ways tho. 

This attitude of we should beat x team always as we have a bigger budget is a simpletons argument, football doesn't work like that. 

It's not even a football argument, it's just nonsense Tbh. 

If we played Alloa 20 times we'd probably beat them 17/18 times, but not all the time. 

If we play celtic 20 times, they'd probably beat us around 70% of that time, with it increasing in Glasgow and decreasing in Edinburgh. 

No drama, just how football works, forever. 

Edited by Smith's right boot

48 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Dundee City, Rovers, Athletic, all work. Countless other appropriate names as well. Not sure the name will be top of the priority list. A merger of both clubs, or acquisition by one of the other is most likely I’d think. United acquiring Dundee retains their place in top league. A new club would have to start at the bottom like Sevco did. 

American owners, so it'll be Lions, Tigers, Bears or some other animal!

bigsuperslim1874
3 minutes ago, Deans Jambo said:

Dundee Rats FC

Under the floodlight
2 minutes ago, Deans Jambo said:

Skunks?

Bazzas right boot
10 minutes ago, chrystaf said:

Ours to win but also to lose.

We'd need to collapse and another team to win double the amount of games. 

It's not happening. 

Suspect Device
1 minute ago, Deans Jambo said:

Americanisms you say Dundee?.

Dundee Discoverers / Dundee Journalists / Dundee Jute or some other ridiculous name 

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, Deans Jambo said:

Dundee dragonators. 

Quite like it tbh. 

Jamboscanbevicius

I wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t see any more coming in now. Especially after Popescu’s performance this week.

I would settle for a new Irving contract and go with what we have, unless we can get a CH that is a stick on starter. No point signing a punt just because we’re near the end of the window!

Selkirkhmfc1874
24 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

We’ve won 10 league games. All 3 serious rivals have won 5 each. If we collapsed and lost 6 or 7 of our 14 left it might be tight but even then a rival would need to win more than 10 of the 15 they have left. Neither scenario will happen on current evidence.

We have indeed won 10 games but let's be honest with our budget we should be winning every week 

Selkirkhmfc1874
18 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

Disagree all you want Football isn't like that tho, never has been, ever. 

Celtic don't beat us every time despite 10 times our budget, they do however beat us more times than we beat them and over a season finish higher. 

That's why we have leagues, the best team becomes champions over a season. 

It is also why we have cups so clubs like ourselves have the chance of a trophy and can get one over the teams with bigger budgets, that works both ways tho. 

This attitude of we should beat x team always as we have a bigger budget is a simpletons argument, football doesn't work like that. 

It's not even a football argument, it's just nonsense Tbh. 

If we played Alloa 20 times we'd probably beat them 17/18 times, but not all the time. 

If we play celtic 20 times, they'd probably beat us around 70% of that time, with it increasing in Glasgow and decreasing in Edinburgh. 

No drama, just how football works, forever. 

Full time teams with a budget of 10 times more should always win and to suggest otherwise is a simpleton argument 

kingantti1874
1 minute ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

We have indeed won 10 games but let's be honest with our budget we should be winning every week 

that just doesn’t happen in football, we were never winning every game.

What you do expect as a minimum is when you lose that everything has been left on the pitch. That’s been disappointing in a couple of fixtures however this has been a feature of this group of players for nearly 5 years and won’t be fixed in 3 months. 

what we should fairly expect is continual improvement.

1 minute ago, john thomas said:

Have we finished talking about all things Dundee ?

My new open question is whether Charlie Adam is harming Dundee.

Loads of assists and a few goals. But are the other players diminished? It's happened before. Johnny Giles at Ireland latterly. It could have happened at Barcelona recently. 

A dominant player through which everything goes. But you get less from the others. 

Didn't think 5 wins in 12 was acceptable.

Selkirkhmfc1874
1 minute ago, kingantti1874 said:

What you do expect as a minimum is when you lose that everything has been left on the pitch. That’s been disappointing in a couple of fixtures however this has been a feature of this group of players for nearly 5 years and won’t be fixed in 3 months. 

Look we've got a squad of players with many internationals in it and a budget that blows everybody else away and in my opinion we should be blowing teams away comfortably every week especially part time teams like Alloa who knocked us out cup

kingantti1874
Just now, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Full time teams with a budget of 10 times more should always win and to suggest otherwise is a simpleton argument 

Is not and never has been the case, what would be the point in playing? .

we beat celtic 4-0 despite their budget being nearly 20 times bigger, the had a player on the bench worth more than our whole squad.

At the level we operate there will always be shocks .. 

27 minutes ago, john thomas said:

Highlighted Bannan's name . Not sure if a realistic option ?

Oh aye I agree, I said in an earlier post that his wages will probably be too high but you never know. He'd be a great signing if we could get him though.

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine
9 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Some nicely tempered expectations there haha

Bazzas right boot

They don't tho, never have since football has been around. 

Football isn't played on a spreadsheet. 

Whether you demand or think what should happen is irrelevant. 

It is why the systems of leagues and cups exist. 

A draw with a team second bottom in the same league is not a drama, doesn't matter what you think, it's just not. 

You can try and make it a drama, try and make it something bigger but teams with smaller budgets draw and beat teams with bigger budgets all the time, every day, across the world. 

That is what makes football great and in particular cup games special, anything is possible. 

5 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

So we should just not play Celtic/Rangers/Bayern Munich and just roll over and play dead instead?  

You really do not understand sport and the fact that money is vital but NOT everything. We beat Rodgers' "Invincibles" 4-0 but you'd have had us not bothering to play and just hand over the points...

3 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Is not and never has been the case, what would be the point in playing? .

we beat celtic 4-0 despite their budget being nearly 20 times bigger, the had a player on the bench worth more than our whole squad.

At the level we operate there will always be shocks .. 

Football is better for it. 

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

My new open question is whether Charlie Adam is harming Dundee.

Loads of assists and a few goals. But are the other players diminished? It's happened before. Johnny Giles at Ireland latterly. It could have happened at Barcelona recently. 

A dominant player through which everything goes. But you get less from the others. 

Didn't think 5 wins in 12 was acceptable.

100%

They'd probably be a better team without him. 

AllyjamboDerbyshire
1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

I think it’s a great story but company law might have something to say about it. For starters, no director or holding company involved with a liquidated company or a company in administration can play any part in the Phoenix company 

Would only be a Phoenix company if one or both ended up in liquidation. Not saying it's likely, or feasible, but if they both went into administration, and the only way to stop one or both falling into liquidation is to form and finance one new/combined club by selling/developing one ground and selling off other assets, it might work. The problem in merging two such clubs will always be getting enough supporters to follow the new club and the threat of liquidation for both might be viewed (by people who don't really get the tribalism of football, especially in Scotland) as one way of doing that. Personally I think it would fail, but Americans do have a different view on such matters, I think.

Having said this, I very much doubt any such thing is in their thoughts as we're only putting two and two together and getting whatever we feel like making it. But I doubt there's any legal pitfalls to stop it happening, any more than there would be with any other two ailing businesses.

kingantti1874

Look we've got a squad of players with many internationals in it and a budget that blows everybody else away and in my opinion we should be blowing teams away comfortably every week especially part time teams like Alloa who knocked us out cup

Alloa was bad but it was a freak result, it happens.. our international players are at the back end of their career, on the way down and maintaining motivation every week is a challenge.

One of the reasons I don’t think we should be signing players like that, I want fight hunger and desire every week, I want players who are on the way up not on the way down, players who are Hungry to get to international level, or earn a bigger move..You don’t put the effort in - superior ability is useless. 

13 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Exactly, people that think otherwise have never played football at any level.

I agree on the continual improvement and i think it will be fair to judge this team come the end of the season, i expect us to have a defined style of play and be winning most games by 2/3 goal margins whilst looking more solid at the back.

Come the summer we can then move out any remaining deadwood and bring in a few key players to strengthen the starting 11, that should be enough to have us mixing with the likes of Hibs & Aberdeen next season.

Barry Bannan is just a small, slower Andy Irving.

What the Cummings deal highlights is that some clubs will just be happy wheeling and dealing for small fees or no fees. Cummings was on the bench every week for a League One team and Dundee have managed to poach him.

I wouldn't rule out Savage finding us a decent midfielder.

Fxxx the SPFL
26 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

tell that to Man Utd now did they not get beat from a certain provincial club from Yorkshire on a vastly superior budget this week

Transfer Target Hearts should be looking at. 

Marius Amundsen - Free Agent 

28 years old.

Previous club - Lillestrøm

last known salary 1k p/w

6ft Centre Half who can play across the back line. Strong tackler with excellent positioning & pace. Has an eye for a pass and calm in possession. 

scouting analysis: 

https://vimeo.com/176364695

Note: this is not an active target for HMFC this is based on my own opinions

24 minutes ago, Smith's right boot said:

They don't tho, never have since football has been around. 

Football isn't played on a spreadsheet. 

Whether you demand or think what should happen is irrelevant. 

It is why the systems of leagues and cups exist. 

A draw with a team second bottom in the same league is not a drama, doesn't matter what you think, it's just not. 

You can try and make it a drama, try and make it something bigger but teams with smaller budgets draw and beat teams with bigger budgets all the time, every day, across the world. 

That is what makes football great and in particular cup games special, anything is possible. 

Totally agree with this. Going unbeaten is rare. Winning every game I think is unheard of. Rangers for example are having an absolute stormer of a season and are unbeaten, but they haven't won every game. Has a team ever won every game in a season?? 

Edited by Batistuta87

Barry Bannan?! Maybe a few years ago but not now. We've enough experienced players without adding any more. We have a few young players that should maybe be benched and used once we've got control of a game. The likes of Bannan would just be a stretch of finances. In forward positions there's Boyce, Naismith, Gnanduillet and probably Walker as well. Then there's Henderson there as back up (not sure if Wighton is away or not). In midfield you've got Haring, Halliday, Irving, White and even Damour (if he ever actually gets a chance) combined with young McGill and Smith as back-up. There's also enough wide players who can come inside and contribute in Ginelly, Roberts, Moore, Frear and Mackay-Steven. I know some of them won't be here long-term but they should all be competent enough for Championship football. The only signing we should be making right at this minute is a central defender who's naturally left-sided. I feel Bannan would be a waste of time and money.

Barry Bannan is about 3ft tall but also plays Irvings position? 

Couldnae lace Irvings boots. I'd rather give Andy the sort of wage Bannan would be looking for. 

2 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

Barry Bannan is about 3ft tall but also plays Irvings position? 

Couldnae lace Irvings boots. I'd rather give Andy the sort of wage Bannan would be looking for. 

100%

• davemclaren changed the title to January transfer window ( Now closed )