• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• GinRummy

• Cruyff

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

9 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Google Zone 7, research who is involved and then give me a good reason why we didn’t take up the opportunity to have it before other bigger clubs signed up to it.

Roger Mitchell, you say...

RustyRightPeg

Confirmed 1 for definite still to come prior to deadline, pushing for 2. Defence and midfield as previously said by RN. 

RB was the preference covering Smith, but Berra injury has forced hand into a central defender.

1 hour ago, Horatio Caine said:

Yeah, esp those of us who are in the pink

I see old Ebenezer is in the corner again pretending to be Julius Caesar 

Under the floodlight
13 minutes ago, Gav M said:

I see old Ebenezer is in the corner again pretending to be Julius Caesar 

They should put him in a home.

2 hours ago, Guess The Crowd said:

I think, in certain circumstances, it can cause sticky out ears.....

It doesn't cause sticky out ears, It gave Mr Mears the ability to use those ears to fly.

41 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Confirmed 1 for definite still to come prior to deadline, pushing for 2. Defence and midfield as previously said by RN. 

RB was the preference covering Smith, but Berra injury has forced hand into a central defender.

Any Names  ???

RustyRightPeg
2 minutes ago, gorgieheart said:

Any Names  ???

details reasonably vague but JS doing a lot of work using his contacts south of the border is what I understand will be the basis of our model going forward.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

Would be happy with a few pre contracts now.  O’Donell, Findlay, Campbell and Ross Stewart would be great business. Strengthen us in key areas.

sign players at their peak, hungry for success .  Or a massive fan of signing players on the way down. It rarely works 

Adding another striker go back for Adebayo than Stewart. Bit over hyped I think. Other 3 would be good additions 

LarrysRightFoot
2 minutes ago, Neil Dongcaster said:

Didn’t Arbroath just get £500k?

Pony up bitches.

Said this before but I’m sure the Gov grant cannot be used for transfers. 

Flux Capacitor
2 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

Said this before but I’m sure the Gov grant cannot be used for transfers. 

A very difficult thing to regulate.

2 minutes ago, sandylejambo said:

Why can't we sign anyone at the opening of the window?

Because it’s harder. It’s not just us.  

LarrysRightFoot
Just now, Flux Capacitor said:

I don’t think it is - it’ll be obvious from the accounts. Most gov grants come with stipulations. 

1 minute ago, Flux Capacitor said:

Majority of the clubs need the money for testing and just to survive day to day never mind splashing out on players

Flux Capacitor
Just now, LarrysRightFoot said:

I don’t think it is - it’ll be obvious from the accounts. Most gov grants come with stipulations. 

I think that’s naive.

Clubs (some) will be using the grants to strengthen their squad. Us included.

LarrysRightFoot
Just now, Flux Capacitor said:

I think that’s naive.

Clubs (some) will be using the grants to strengthen their squad. Us included.

I don’t think they will as it’ll get claimed back. Do you seriously think the Gov are going to hand out taxpayers money for transfers?

Flux Capacitor
Just now, LarrysRightFoot said:

I don’t think they will as it’ll get claimed back. Do you seriously think the Gov are going to hand out taxpayers money for transfers?

I think clubs (some) will manipulate the situation to their benefit.

Just like many employers have manipulated the furlough scheme to their benefit, as an example.

Someone mentioned that we were in talks with a Scotland international midfielder - can't remember if it was ITK or not - but I did a bit of searching and found the guys below. All have Scotland caps and all out of contract at the end of the season: 

Liam Bridcutt, 31, Reading

Barry Bannan, 31, Sheff Wed 

Liam Kelly, 30, Coventry

Craig Bryson, 34, St Johnstone

Murray Davidson, 32, St Johnstone

There's probably more, but I got bored... 

Don't know a lot about any of them other than Bannan who would obviously be fantastic, but we'll probably be miles away in terms of wages and he's still a regular for Sheff Wed just now.

Edited by Batistuta87

LarrysRightFoot
4 minutes ago, Flux Capacitor said:

I think clubs (some) will manipulate the situation to their benefit.

Just like many employers have manipulated the furlough scheme to their benefit, as an example.

Can you imagine when clubs accounts are published and it’s obvious they have used the money for transfers? Press will rightly have a field day. 

I am pretty sure there will some kind of reporting duty attached to the grant to ensure the stipulations are met. 

Leveins Battalion
2 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Someone mentioned that we were in talks with a Scotland international midfielder - can't remember if it was ITK or not - but I did a bit of searching and found the guys below. All have Scotland caps and all out of contract at the end of the season: 

Liam Kelly, 30, Coventry

Don't know a lot about any of them other than Bannan who would obviously be fantastic, but we'll probably be miles away in terms of wages and he's still a regular for Sheff Wed just now.

Woukd rather swerve all of them and go for Turner or Ali McCann.

1 minute ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

Can you imagine when clubs accounts are published and it’s obvious they have used the money for transfers? Press will rightly have a field day. 

I am pretty sure there will some kind of reporting duty attached to the grant to ensure the stipulations are met. 

How will it be obvious? I’m sure club accountants will ensure all conditions are shown to be met in the accounts. 

11 hours ago, Tom Hardy’s Dug said:

Google Zone 7, research who is involved and then give me a good reason why we didn’t take up the opportunity to have it before other bigger clubs signed up to it.

I messaged Stuart Wallace as to why we didn’t take it up - he didn’t give me the courtesy of a reply.

We already have a system that does all this. I think catapult is the brand we use, as does the whole of the EPL I think. 

31 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

details reasonably vague but JS doing a lot of work using his contacts south of the border is what I understand will be the basis of our model going forward.

Do you know if we are getting Adebayo in the summer? i read (can't remember where), that we'd agreed terms but Walsall were obviously not wanting him to leave early. It kind of implied he'd be coming to us, just not at the moment - which is what we wanted. 🤷‍♂️

Just now, Leveins Battalion said:

Woukd rather swerve all of them and go for Turner or Ali McCann.

Yeah they're all sort of on the wrong side of 30 for me. Bannan would be excellent but like I say; wages... 

Turner is on my wish list as well. Someone on here mentioned we're showing a strong interest but don't know what happened there if it was true. 

Neil Dongcaster
22 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

They can allocate the £500k towards other opex costs such as payroll and it frees up the money previously allocated to those costs.

bobby bombscare
15 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Liam Kelly, 30, Coventry

Considering the calls are for a box to box midfielder, I would be happier seeing a younger player in for the midfield position. Takes a lot of energy to play that position and as we've seen from naisy as he got older (and olly lee in general) the ability can still be there but a yard of pace can make all the difference! I was liking some of the other options out there at the time but we will see what Savage and Neilson get us, i'm trusting between them that they'll get some good players in that fit the positions we need.

LarrysRightFoot
12 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

How will it be obvious? I’m sure club accountants will ensure all conditions are shown to be met in the accounts. 

I’m just using this as an example but say Arbroath’s record transfer fee paid is £25k then this month they pay £100k for Wighton. Their top wage is £300 pw but he gets £800 pw. 

Do you genuinely not believe the government will not be paying attention to clubs activities on the back of these grants? It has the potential to be a huge scandal. 

Just seen an article about the USA captain looking for a loan to the UK as the MLS is suspended until at least April and got me wondering if this could be an avenue for us to explore for cover at CB/RB through to the end of the season? Seemingly MLS clubs are only looking for clubs to cover wages with no loan fee involved and players are just wanting game time. 

The Old Tolbooth
33 minutes ago, sandylejambo said:

Why can't we sign anyone at the opening of the window?

Players won't commit at the start of the window in case a better offer comes along, you can't blame them either, it's very difficult to get a player into a club in the first 2 weeks of the January window which is why there's so much scrambling around in frenzied activity at the end of the window as players realise that the offer Hearts (or someone else) gave them 2 weeks ago, is the best on offer all of a sudden, and they'd better sign up soon otherwise the club will move on and they'll lose out and end up on the shit heap at Hibs or something, it's what makes the transfer window what it is, and when our club is in the market it's highly exciting,  but when we're not, it's a bit shit. 

10 minutes ago, Batistuta87 said:

Yeah they're all sort of on the wrong side of 30 for me. Bannan would be excellent but like I say; wages... 

Turner is on my wish list as well. Someone on here mentioned we're showing a strong interest but don't know what happened there if it was true. 

Am I missing something here ?

Flux Capacitor
6 minutes ago, Neil Dongcaster said:

They can allocate the £500k towards other opex costs such as payroll and it frees up the money previously allocated to those costs.

Correct.

16 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Do you know if we are getting Adebayo in the summer? i read (can't remember where), that we'd agreed terms but Walsall were obviously not wanting him to leave early. It kind of implied he'd be coming to us, just not at the moment - which is what we wanted. 🤷‍♂️

Think that ship has probably sailed, due to the change in regulations even although he is out of contract in the summer we'd still be due a 6 figure sum in developments fee's. I assume we were saying to Walsall that as Fulham would be due the majority of that development fee that they'd be better off accepting something like 50k now rather than a lesser amount as their cut of the development fee in the summer. Looks like they've decided they'd rather keep him until the end of the season than get 50k now or whatever we offered. They may of course change their mind before the window closes if they can get someone else in.

Flux Capacitor
3 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

I’m just using this as an example but say Arbroath’s record transfer fee paid is £25k then this month they pay £100k for Wighton. Their top wage is £300 pw but he gets £800 pw. 

Do you genuinely not believe the government will not be paying attention to clubs activities on the back of these grants? It has the potential to be a huge scandal. 

By the time this blows over (God willing) the sums involved by way of grants to Championship clubs and below will be minuscule by comparison.

There will be no one from government paying attention to what the clubs do with the money paid out.

Rest assured, there will be some creative accounting going on as we speak.

LarrysRightFoot
11 minutes ago, Neil Dongcaster said:

I doubt it’s as simple as that. Would you be happy to know that your tax is being used by Dundee to make signings? 

LarrysRightFoot
2 minutes ago, Flux Capacitor said:

By the time this blows over (God willing) the sums involved by way of grants to Championship clubs and below will be minuscule by comparison.

There will be no one from government paying attention to what the clubs do with the money paid out.

Rest assured, there will be some creative accounting going on as we speak.

I’m sure there will but to think football grants won’t be scrutinised is naive - look at Dubai-gate. Football attracts huge attention and can be used to deflect from other matters - it has huge scandal potential. 

Edited by LarrysRightFoot

Flux Capacitor
1 minute ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

I’m sure there will but to think football grants won’t be scrutinised is naive - look at Dubai-gate. Football attracts huge attention and can be used to deflect from other matters - it has huge scandal potential. 

That goes back to the original point I made. It’s very hard to regulate.

They can show that the grant has been used for wages/maintenance/covid testing/whatever.

Then use additional income due like tv money/sponsorship/whatever to fund the signing of a player or two.

I think you’re over egging the ‘huge scandal potential’ narrative, btw. No one really cares what Arbroath do with their grant. No one.

5 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

In a nutshell.

8 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

There will be conditions around loans/grants which I’m sure will be met. Accepting them clearly doesn’t mean you can’t sign players though. 

Berra than you
10 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

I doubt it’s as simple as that. Would you be happy to know that your tax is being used by Dundee to make signings? 

The thing is though out with the testing they don't have anything extra for the 500k to cover. Smart clubs will have budgeted for no fans, and therefore out with the testing cost this will be a bonus. That government money will not directly go on a transfer, but it will free up funds elsewhere - if of course Arbroath have been budgeting correctly.

LarrysRightFoot
12 minutes ago, Flux Capacitor said:

That goes back to the original point I made. It’s very hard to regulate.

They can show that the grant has been used for wages/maintenance/covid testing/whatever.

Then use additional income due like tv money/sponsorship/whatever to fund the signing of a player or two.

I think you’re over egging the ‘huge scandal potential’ narrative, btw. No one really cares what Arbroath do with their grant. No one.

I completely disagree with you. I think it’s naive to think the Gov has given football £20m of grants and said do what you want with it. 

Maybe nobody cares what Arbroath do but I think it’ll be extremely difficult for them or Morton or ICT etc. to hide £500k by ‘creative accounting’ when all their other income streams have almost ceased. 

Edited by LarrysRightFoot

LarrysRightFoot
2 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

There will be conditions around loans/grants which I’m sure will be met. Accepting them clearly doesn’t mean you can’t sign players though. 

I never said it did. 

Adam_the_legend
1 hour ago, RustyRightPeg said:

CB should always have been top of the list. Berra has been worse than a man down 🤬

• davemclaren changed the title to January transfer window ( Now closed )