• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• GinRummy

• Cruyff

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

RustyRightPeg
40 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Do you know if we are getting Adebayo in the summer? i read (can't remember where), that we'd agreed terms but Walsall were obviously not wanting him to leave early. It kind of implied he'd be coming to us, just not at the moment - which is what we wanted. 🤷‍♂️

Development fee made us look elsewhere and sign Gnanduillet. 

Not sure if the door will be left open on it or not, I suspect no. 

11 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Think that ship has probably sailed, due to the change in regulations even although he is out of contract in the summer we'd still be due a 6 figure sum in developments fee's. I assume we were saying to Walsall that as Fulham would be due the majority of that development fee that they'd be better off accepting something like 50k now rather than a lesser amount as their cut of the development fee in the summer. Looks like they've decided they'd rather keep him until the end of the season than get 50k now or whatever we offered. They may of course change their mind before the window closes if they can get someone else in.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/elijah-adebayo-latest-hearts-pursuit-walsall-striker-robbie-neilson-gives-fresh-update-3110952

Think this is what i read... terms agreed with the player. Walsall is the stumbling block.

I just wondered, now that we have Nando, if we would still be pursuing him - I think we were fully aware of the development fees, but he seems a similar player to Nando both physically and technically🤷‍♂️

Just now, RustyRightPeg said:

Development fee made us look elsewhere and sign Gnanduillet. 

Not sure if the door will be left open on it or not, I suspect no. 

Nae probs. Cheers 👍

If we want him in the summer we should offer them 50k, buy him now, and loan him straight back. Saves 100k.

I doubt we'll be interested anymore though.

Neil Dongcaster
20 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

I doubt it’s as simple as that. Would you be happy to know that your tax is being used by Dundee to make signings? 

It is that simple. I’ve used grants in much the same way myself in the past.

12 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

There will be conditions around loans/grants which I’m sure will be met. Accepting them clearly doesn’t mean you can’t sign players though. 

Do you think so? There were Covid grants dished out nationwide to thousands of businesses early on in the crisis. In England they just gave you it automatically, you didn’t even need to apply. 

RustyRightPeg
2 minutes ago, Rogue Daddy said:

Nae probs. Cheers 👍

these things can get quite messy I believe and sometimes go through the courts if the clubs can’t agree. RN said last week he didn’t think Walsall knew the rules properly. 

Between the Stendel and his back room staff debacle and the league cancellation, last thing we want is more money being spent on legal fees. 

40 minutes ago, jambopilms said:

Please no more 30+ players. 

This. 

We need younger players with good energy levels especially in midfield. 

Just now, Robbo-Jambo said:

This. 

Couldn’t agree more. One eye on the future as well. Short term fixes are understandable but we can’t look to them all the time. 

3 minutes ago, Robbo-Jambo said:

This. 

Don Cowie did okay. 

1 minute ago, I.T.K said:

Don Cowie did okay. 

Not really the point though is it.

We want to bring younger players in who can take the club forward and make us money after a few years.

We need a few players.

Another RB to compete with Smith (probably just promote Logan) 

Top notch CB to replace Berra 

A quality Central mid

Another Winger as an option to GMS and Gino

Another Striker to compete with Boyce & Armand 

Obviously not all will be done this window but defo a CM is a priority. 

Edited by Cruyff

2 minutes ago, RustyRightPeg said:

these things can get quite messy I believe and sometimes go through the courts if the clubs can’t agree. RN said last week he didn’t think Walsall knew the rules properly. 

Between the Stendel and his back room staff debacle and the league cancellation, last thing we want is more money being spent on legal fees. 

Bit of a quantum leap.

RN was reported as having 2 targets and went first for Gnando but apparently agent wanted too much so he went for Adebayo.  Walsall made it clear they wanted decent money for their player(shades of the Hickey situation) which HMFC were unwilling to meet.  Somehow there became a meeting of minds with Gnando and co and that deal was sealed with him being available now as opposed to in the summer.  It is not clear whether we upped our Gnando offer or whether they lowered their demands but it's all water under the bridge.  He's here now.

11 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

I completely disagree with you. I think it’s naive to think the Gov has given football £20m of grants and said do what you want with it. 

Maybe nobody cares what Arbroath do but I think it’ll be extremely difficult for them or Morton or ICT etc. to hide £500k by ‘creative accounting’ when all their other income streams have almost ceased. 

I think it cones down to whether any conditions were put in place around how the grant could be spent.   I’m not sure that there were and the Govt are prob just taking a simple broad brush approach,   knowing that it will help overall even if some clubs (like us!),  don’t actually need it.  I’d imagine they have no appetite for micro managing specific industries.  

LarrysRightFoot
11 minutes ago, Gmcjambo said:

I think it cones down to whether any conditions were put in place around how the grant could be spent.   I’m not sure that there were and the Govt are prob just taking a simple broad brush approach,   knowing that it will help overall even if some clubs (like us!),  don’t actually need it.  I’d imagine they have no appetite for micro managing specific industries.  

I’m pretty sure conditions were put in place - I.e. it couldn’t be used for transfers. 

RustyRightPeg
33 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Bit of a quantum leap.

RN was reported as having 2 targets and went first for Gnando but apparently agent wanted too much so he went for Adebayo.  Walsall made it clear they wanted decent money for their player(shades of the Hickey situation) which HMFC were unwilling to meet.  Somehow there became a meeting of minds with Gnando and co and that deal was sealed with him being available now as opposed to in the summer.  It is not clear whether we upped our Gnando offer or whether they lowered their demands but it's all water under the bridge.  He's here now.

Hardly a quantum leap. If Walsall were playing hard ball and weren’t accepting an immediate fee on the grounds they believe they could’ve got 6 figures in the summer then why would we wait and potentially pay more than we originally offered?  

1 hour ago, Ribble said:

Just seen an article about the USA captain looking for a loan to the UK as the MLS is suspended until at least April and got me wondering if this could be an avenue for us to explore for cover at CB/RB through to the end of the season? Seemingly MLS clubs are only looking for clubs to cover wages with no loan fee involved and players are just wanting game time. 

If this is Aaron Long I seem to remember some EPL clubs sniffing about him in the summer. West Ham, Leeds maybe?? Can't remember, but I think he's a level above us.

30 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

I’m pretty sure conditions were put in place - I.e. it couldn’t be used for transfers. 

Its a loan I’m not sure they can be told how to spend it. Regardless it would be ridiculously easy to move money about to hide any true reasons for it. Makes conditions pretty pointless. 

The idea that the Government grant would free up other funds to pay transfer fees is a bit fanciful.  In the current situation most clubs will have very little other income that might be used for transfers - that is why the Government is making the grants, most clubs will need the money to pay their operating costs.  Without the grants there is a strong possibility that some clubs will not be able to meet their costs and will go bust.

Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine
45 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

We need a few players.

Another RB to compete with Smith (probably just promote Logan) 

Top notch CB to replace Berra 

A quality Central mid

Another Winger as an option to GMS and Gino

Another Striker to compete with Boyce & Armand 

Obviously not all will be done this window but defo a CM is a priority. 

Obviously he is a quality player still and keeps himself in great nick so there's no reason to think he'll be finished anytime soon, but we do need to think about Smith's long-term replacement, whether it's Logan or someone else. We really should be doing this sort of succession planning all over the park, a new long-term keeper, left back for when Kingsley inevitably goes at the end of next season etc. Too often we leave ourselves caught short when key parts of our team get old and crap or run their contracts down. That's why Armand is a great signing - gives us the cover we need for this season, and he's of the quality that, should a top offer come in for Boyce in the summer, we can take it and have his replacement raring to go.

1 hour ago, Ribble said:

Just seen an article about the USA captain looking for a loan to the UK as the MLS is suspended until at least April and got me wondering if this could be an avenue for us to explore for cover at CB/RB through to the end of the season? Seemingly MLS clubs are only looking for clubs to cover wages with no loan fee involved and players are just wanting game time. 

Lol USA captain to Scottish championship, about 20 games left this is a cracker.

Guess The Crowd
2 hours ago, john1951 said:

It doesn't cause sticky out ears, It gave Mr Mears the ability to use those ears to fly.

A fair point. I'll drink-a-drink to that one.

LarrysRightFoot
33 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Its a loan I’m not sure they can be told how to spend it. Regardless it would be ridiculously easy to move money about to hide any true reasons for it. Makes conditions pretty pointless. 

It’s not a loan, it’s a grant. 

All quiet then I see (other than Wighton potentially off to Arbroath). Think we’re looking at Monday for something to be announced (if anything).

Edited by BackOfTheNet

1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

Do you think so? There were Covid grants dished out nationwide to thousands of businesses early on in the crisis. In England they just gave you it automatically, you didn’t even need to apply. 

I imagine there are conditions but whether they are effectively enforced...particularly for smaller amounts. 

1 minute ago, BackOfTheNet said:

All quiet then I see (other than Wighton potentially off to Arbroath). Think we’re looking at Monday for something to be announced (if anything).

Wouldn’t be so sure. The last transfer happened quite suddenly. 

7 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

So true.  Monday Morning most people hadn't even heard of Nando, Tuesday night he's scoring a double in Maroon!

Edited by TexasAndy

LarrysRightFoot
54 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

You've got absolutely no idea if that's the case or not and until you can evidence it, it's an empty argument, no matter how many times you repeat it.

You are right that i can’t find it but I know I’ve read it. By the same token you can’t prove that it can be used for transfers.

On the balance of probability however you have to admit it’s unlikely that the Gov would give clubs who have been enforcing deferred wages, wage cuts and redundancies money to spend on transfers. 

Perhaps the delay in getting the loan money avaikable, and the weeks of talks, is because the SG is only providing the cash if it comes attached with certain restrictions.

Maybe they expect a lump sum repayment from next season's TV money?

Maybe the SG are asking questions regarding the governance of the game and the SPFL/SFA are resisting any kind of government involvement in "their" game?

32 minutes ago, LarrysRightFoot said:

It’s not a loan, it’s a grant. 

Sorry wrong end of the stick thought people were talking about the loans to premier clubs. 👍   
Points still stands though any conditions could easily be met and money trail hidden. 

Edited by Dazo

58 minutes ago, Lfhearts said:

Lol USA captain to Scottish championship, about 20 games left this is a cracker.

He's not suggesting signing the captain though.  He's asking if signing an MLS player on loan is an avenue because of them looking for games in between the league suspension and the league covering wages.  

1 hour ago, DG_HMFC said:

Not really the point though is it.

We want to bring younger players in who can take the club forward and make us money after a few years.

Agreed, and the club needs to pay these young break through players a fair wage so they stay at the club. AKA Irving.

1 hour ago, Juho_Makela_Goal_Machine said:

Obviously he is a quality player still and keeps himself in great nick so there's no reason to think he'll be finished anytime soon, but we do need to think about Smith's long-term replacement, whether it's Logan or someone else. We really should be doing this sort of succession planning all over the park, a new long-term keeper, left back for when Kingsley inevitably goes at the end of next season etc. Too often we leave ourselves caught short when key parts of our team get old and crap or run their contracts down. That's why Armand is a great signing - gives us the cover we need for this season, and he's of the quality that, should a top offer come in for Boyce in the summer, we can take it and have his replacement raring to go.

Ideally, Harry Stone, Cammy Logan and Leo Watson should be the Academy lads that can step up to the first team to replace Gordon, Smith and Kingsley in time. 

1 hour ago, Lfhearts said:

I clearly didn't say we should go for him, simply suggested that the MLS could be a decent avenue to looks for loans to the end of the season where we may get someone we wouldn't in normal circumstances.

2 minutes ago, Ribble said:

I clearly didn't say we should go for him, simply suggested that the MLS could be a decent avenue to looks for loans to the end of the season where we may get someone we wouldn't in normal circumstances.

Immigration and work permits might be the challenge with this option. Although I think Celtic, Aberdeen and Hibs have club link ups over here so maybe there is an avenue/loop hole of some sort.

14 minutes ago, Ribble said:

Yep, it's where we got GMS isn't it?... might be one or two others.

1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

Sort of. The name was on here two weeks prior and there had been plenty of talk and media reports of trying to actively sign a striker for days leading up to it (albeit a different player).

Now we have had the manager saying they are actively trying to sign but nothing much else has come out. Hopefully we do get an out of the blue take us by surprise signing. But I have my doubts. (Happy to be proved wrong though!)

3 hours ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Woukd rather swerve all of them and go for Turner or Ali McCann.

Kyle Turner (Dunfermline)?  Absolutely!

2 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Sort of. The name was on here two weeks prior and there had been plenty of talk and media reports of trying to actively sign a striker for days leading up to it (albeit a different player).

Now we have had the manager saying they are actively trying to sign but nothing much else has come out. Hopefully we do get an out of the blue take us by surprise signing. But I have my doubts. (Happy to be proved wrong though!)

I’ve just got this feeling that something’s going to happen soon.  You know when you just get that thing when you’re scouring the press and keep checking back on here too often. 

Where are the resident ITK'ers this window? I admit I haven't trawled through this thread a lot

The club suggest they have been keeping a lot of silence this time round, makes sense, not much movement and we wait till the end as players may have been keeping options open earlier on - has it stifled the whispers to the guys in the know this time?

LarrysRightFoot
35 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

I'm not trying to persuade people I'm right and they're wrong so I don't need to prove anything. I also wouldn't imagine the government would have any interest in (or powers relating to) how private businesses deal with their affairs (as long as it's legal of course). Morals are outwith their remit.

Given it's a loan and not a grant, I'd imagine the only concern the government would have would be security over that loan. 

To my knowledge this is an interest bearing loan facility which is open to all premiership clubs and not means tested so I'm struggling to see why they would put conditions on how it should be spent. If there were conditions attached it would have been reported in the press I'd imagine. 

If a club has cash reserves but applies for a loan in any event and then buys a player it's impossible to say what money they've used to buy that player. If a club doesn't have any cash reserves and applies for a loan they either use that loan to pay their running costs and buy no-one, or secure a further line of credit elsewhere and use both to fund running costs and transfers. Again, it's impossible to say what money was used for what.

It’s a not loan, it’s a grant - therefore I think the government will be interested in how the money is being used. 

Loans are for Premiership clubs only. 

Edited by LarrysRightFoot

29 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

I’ve just got this feeling that something’s going to happen soon.  You know when you just get that thing when you’re scouring the press and keep checking back on here too often. 

Know exactly what you mean - it’s why I’m always here during windows!

17 minutes ago, Lfhearts said:

Dikamona not signed yet then must want longer than 6 months, Edmonson from Rangers could be a shout would stroll this league.

If George Edmundson is available, he'd be decent. For obvious reasons he's struggled to get game time with the competition ahead of him but he's certainly a big laddie and young enough to still improve. 

Jean Louis Valois
22 minutes ago, Lfhearts said:

Dikamona not signed yet then must want longer than 6 months, Edmonson from Rangers could be a shout would stroll this league.

Clev coming back?

13 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

If George Edmundson is available, he'd be decent. For obvious reasons he's struggled to get game time with the competition ahead of him but he's certainly a big laddie and young enough to still improve. 

All about opinions but other than winning the odd header I always thought he looked like a big huddy

My rangers supporting chums don't rate him 

13 minutes ago, Cruyff said:

They paid £700k for him 18 months ago and he’s got over 2 years left on his deal. Not very doable unless Rangers want to write him off and he agrees. Don’t really want to loan and develop OF players for them either. That’s just servitude and it’s beneath us frankly.

43 minutes ago, Mollo said:

Where are the resident ITK'ers this window? I admit I haven't trawled through this thread a lot

The club suggest they have been keeping a lot of silence this time round, makes sense, not much movement and we wait till the end as players may have been keeping options open earlier on - has it stifled the whispers to the guys in the know this time?

Arise @Agentjambo :punk:

• davemclaren changed the title to January transfer window ( Now closed )